šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club IV (Jan 22 - Feb 19)

A warm welcome to all of the forum book-lovers!

:books::relaxed::heart:

Thank you to everyone who joined in for the third reading session.

For those who havenā€™t yet shared their thoughts about their book (or anyone who enjoys reading book reviews!) you still have time to do so in :memo: Spells8 Book Club III- Readerā€™s Reviews.

As of today, the fourth book club reading session has now begun!

Letā€™s get started

1. Announce your book
    The first post below is an editable wiki post- add your book title and name to the list! (instructions below)

2. The reading period is open for [[ 4 weeks ]]
    While it is great if you can finish your book during this time, it is okay if you break it into chapters or sections- do as much as you can and know that doing your best is always good enough!

3. Share your thoughts
    You are very welcome to share any thoughts or tidbits while you read in the comments below or in a new post in the forums. But save the best parts for the final discussion at the end of the reading period!

4. Final Discussion
    After four weeks, a discussion post will open encouraging all readers to share a review of their book and any personal thoughts they have about it. A mini-review is perfectly fine, and there will be a suggested format for anyone who would like to write a longer review.

A note about sharing books:

While everyone is free to choose their own book, you may consider reading along with someone else ! It is fun to share thoughts and insights about different books and even more exciting to do in-depth about a book with fellow readers :handshake:

If the book you plan to read is already on the list below, add your name to the list of others reading that book! For books with multiple readers, a separate discussion just for you will open for you to swap thoughts and share insights.

Please keep in mind that everyone will reconvene for the final discussion, regardless of which book you read :books:

Not sure what to read?

You can find book recommendations in:

If you have any questions about Book Club, be sure to check the Book Club FAQ and/or ask in the comments.

Blessed be and happy reading! :open_book::sparkles:

3 Likes

~~ ~~ ~~ This post is a WIKI POST- it is editable by everyone! ~~ ~~ ~~

Please announce your books here :blush:

Example:
Book Title by Author
(@) your username

Out of respect to others, please only add/edit your own entry

• Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Nagn
    @TheTravelWitch

• Supermarket Sabbats: A Magical Year Using Everyday Ingredients by Michael Furie
    *As a book with multiple readers- there is a seperate thread for discussions
    @Amethyst
    @Francisco

• How to Live a Good Life, A Guide to Choosing Your Personal Philosophy by Massimo Pigliucci, Skye Cleary, Daniel Kaufman
    Aristotleā€™s Way, How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life by Edith Hall
    @praecog29

• The Witchā€™s Book of Self Care by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
    @Rowan

• Drawing Down The Moon** bye Margot Alder
    @Jeannie1 :grin:

• Witchcraft: A Secret History by Michael Streeter
    @colin

(((Please add your book above :arrow_up: Thank you! :blush:)))

NOTE: If you did not finish and are continuing your book from last session- feel free to add it in again here!

4 Likes

For anyone who has trouble with adding their entry to the wiki post above, here is a guide:

HOW TO EDIT A WIKI POST

Walkthrough on how to edit a Wiki Post

1. On the Wiki Post above (the first reply to the original post) look on the bottom right (near where you click to ā€œlikeā€ a post).
  2. Click on the word ā€œEditā€. You can now change details in the post.
  3. You can copy and paste another entry- write your book title, author, and username.
  4. Donā€™t forget to click ā€œsaveā€ when you are done!

If itā€™s still tricky- no stress at all! For anyone who prefers, I am happy to add you in. Just write your book title and author in a normal post and I will take care of it :blush:

Blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Totally agree with this!! Letā€™s make it a true book club! I have the same book that @Amethyst chose (I have a digital version) so Iā€™m adding myself to the list.

5 Likes

I have a digital version too! This is going to be fun!

5 Likes

Fantastic @Amethyst and @Francisco! :star_struck: Okie dokie, an extra special thread for all those reading Supermarket Sabbats has been opened- here is the link!

I canā€™t wait to hear what you think about it- looks like an interesting book! :blush: Enjoy :open_book:

5 Likes

Attempting two, again. :open_mouth: Also sticking with philosophical books over magical books. :wink: Iā€™ll try not being so rushed in my reviews this time. :rofl:

5 Likes

January 25th
ā€¦ah Bobby Burnsā€¦ My son celebrates Robert Burns Birthday with Haggis and readings from the poems. I didnā€™t teach him thatā€¦ (I couldnā€™t find Haggis in Arizona) but I am so glad he supports his ancestral rootsā€¦
(Halloween)
Upon that night, when fairies light
On Cassilis Downans dance,
Or owre the lays, in splendid blaze,
On sprightly coursers prance;
Or for Colean the rout is taā€™en,
Beneath the moonā€™s pale beams;
There, up the Cove, to stray anā€™ rove,
Amang the rocks and streams
To sport that night ā€¦

7 Likes

Thanks for the link @BryWisteria! I hope a few more people can join us!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s beautiful, Berta!!

This is from ā€œTo a Mouseā€. According to legend, Burns was ploughing in the fields and accidentally destroyed a mouseā€™s nest, which it needed to survive the winter.

But Mouse, you are not alone,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes of mice and men
Go oft awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!

:mouse:

7 Likes

Wonderful! Thank you for this.

6 Likes

In my personal opinion, Iā€™ve always seen philosophy (and psychology as well!) as ways to deeper understand your mind- and where does magic come from, if not our intent- our mind? :blush: Through studying these fields, it is possible to learn ways to gain control over our lives- and the essence of magic itself is manifesting our desires and taking control over both inner and outer circumstances.

So go for those philosophical books, Benjamin! :laughing: :+1: I loved your reviews last session and I canā€™t wait to hear your thoughts on your current books. Happy reading! :heart_decoration:

Happy Birthday Robert Burns- and thanks for sharing the poem, @Berta! It makes me miss Halloween season- my favorite time of the year! :jack_o_lantern: :laughing:

And wow- look at that fancy cover! Itā€™s a beautiful book :blush: Would you maybe like to be added to the current reading list with this book? :open_book:

Youā€™re very welcome, Kasie! I hope so too- looks like a fun book to read :star_struck:

6 Likes

@praecog29 and @BryWisteria I think you both know where my heart lies when it comes to self exploration. I totally agree with you Brianna that it is a way to dig deeper into our true intentions and personal truth. Authenticity powers intention - the universe knows when we are lying to ourselves, and supports us when our hearts are pure. I whole heartedly support the exploration of philosophy - the good to inspire, the bad to avoid and the ugly to know the enemy. :heartbeat: :two_hearts: :heartbeat:

6 Likes

Beautifully and powerfully said, Berta! The realms of thought and philosophy are wonderful and enlightening to explore :compass: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Oh well, it is fun for anyone who enjoys poetry. Iā€™ll leave that up to you.

Right now I am doing a side by side comparison of 3 books on Correspondences. It is really fun looking through them - The trouble is that I like them all for different reasons. They are all crammed full of information. Depending on the authorā€™s preference of working.

ā€˜The Complete Magicianā€™s Tablesā€™ by Skinner is focused on Kabbalistic, Angelic, Astrologic, Alchemic, Demonic, Geomantic, Grimoire, Gematria, I Ching, Tarot, Pagan Pantheon, Plant, Perfume and Character with 800 tables

I find myself having to look up a lot of the words he uses in references, but find his angel references particularly intriguing.

ā€˜A Witchā€™s Book of Correspondencesā€™ by Briggs is what I would categorize as more in line with Green Witch working. It is a blend of information and tables .for instance; it has Herbal correspondences as well as informational pages on methods of drying herbs.
Tree correspondences, Pharmacopoeia, Oils, Crystals, Colors, Candles, Elemental, Tools, Work Tables (sorted by the focus of the work), Planetary, Lunar, Wheel of the Year, Astrology, Astronomy, Zodiac, Divination, Numerology, Magic Squares, Alphabets, Chakras, Angels, Faeries, Totems, Pagan Traditions, and an extensive Appendix of Witch Wisdom.
This is probably my favorite, but if I canā€™t find what I am looking for here I turn to

ā€˜Llewellynā€™s Complete Book of Correspondencesā€™ by Kynes.
This is probably what I would consider the main stream witchā€™s reference. It starts with a bit of a tutorial on ā€˜why use correspondencesā€™ and then goes into a chapter on Issues, intentions and powers. It has tables for Plants, Minerals, Animals, Dieties, Astrological, and finishes with Miscellaneous - elements, directions, colors, chakras, numbers, and tarot.
I will say that it is easy to find information since each table is fairly thorough in its content, but the same information is not included in all tables. I feel that is a lack of consistency and a little disappointing.

BUTā€¦ as they used to say on ā€œREADING RAINBOWā€ā€¦'but you donā€™t have to take my word for it" ā€¦ I encourage you all to do your own exploration and see what you think. HAPPY READING!

8 Likes

3 Books of Correspondences at once, @Berta- you go, girl! Thatā€™s amazing :star_struck: Do you find the books to agree on some/most correspondences, or do they all have a fairly unique method for matching things?

Happy reading to you too- Enjoy! :open_book: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

@BryWisteria I am trying to find common topics to do side by side information comparisonā€¦ Iā€™ll look into it more and get back with you. Perhaps post a second review.

5 Likes

That would be awesome to see, Berta! :heart_eyes: Iā€™m curious to see how similar/different the various books of correspondences are. I think a comparison would definitely help people find which book relates best to their own style of practice! :books: :sparkles:

4 Likes

Wow! I almost missed this post!! Excellent job, Berta! That was a great comparison and review, and super useful for us! Iā€™ll have to add Viktorija Briggsā€™ book to my library! :books: Thanks!

4 Likes

I picked up my book Witchcraft: A Secret History at the local Coles book store a few days ago. Iā€™m making pretty good progress in it. I definitely want to order my next book online though. Maybe the next will be that Drawing Down the Moon book that @Jeannie1 is reading! Some history and background on the Craft is good for me too though. :slight_smile:

Anyway Iā€™m happy to make my second book club entry!

5 Likes