đź“– Spells8 Book Club XIII (Dec 10 - Jan 7)

Thank you @Susurrus … I found the site. Smack dab when I needed it. Very simple … I ll try it out: Tests ⋆ LonerWolf

I also downloaded kindle. Hoping I find something there. Thank you!:kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Absolutely! Let me know how it works out for you! Happy Reading!

6 Likes

Happy reading too! @Susurrus

6 Likes

Hi @BryWisteria Thank you! It’s ok and it’s well done. I just had to edit the title. I could easy switch through another choice…

Have a nice weekend​:fire::pray:

5 Likes

@Susurrus Once again thank you! I found my book on kindle and many more.

Blessed be!

6 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: :memo: Spells8 Book Club XIII - Readers’ Reviews!

Good morning! I finished 1 book & started another last night! I hope everyone has a great day!

I put the review here so I don’t lose it or forget to do it. That is totally in wheelhouse lately. :rofl:

5 Likes

@MeganB Haha I know the feeling! Since I came back to the USA I’ve been sorting through my old stuff I haven’t seen in two years- there are quite a few books on the shelf that I never got around to reading but don’t want to give away yet either. I keep telling myself I’ll get around to them eventually- maybe someday! :laughing:

@SingingWitch You’re very welcome! And no worries at all, sometimes books aren’t what we were hoping they would be- but there is always value in the experience! Like Siofra said, feel free to share your thoughts about the book and why it wasn’t what you were hoping for. Your review may help someone else who is considering reading it- it can really help others! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As for free physic books, why not check the open access free public e-librarys: Project Gutenberg Library or Rosicrucian Library? Maybe you’ll find some free interesting books there! Good luck and happy reading! :blush:

@Amethyst May your book be worth the wait- I hope it exceeds your expectations! :heart:

@Susurrus Congrats on finishing Celtic Tree Magic, Siofra- that’s awesome! And it sounds like you’ve already jumped into your next book too. I hope you enjoy it, blessed reading! :books::sparkles:

6 Likes

In all honesty, I had started the Celtic Tree Magic before the last book club had ended & was just waiting to add it to the current one. So I had a head start. I’m not that good. :joy:

5 Likes

I would really like to talk about the book I started today called This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron!
I’ve only read a few chapters but I already love it.
It’s about a girl called Briseis who can control and grow plants.When her aunt passes away she inherits a family home in rural New York so she and her moms decide to stay there for the summer.But,Bri’s birth family have a terrible secret.
This books is steeped in greek mythology form the name of the main character,to the name of her birth mother,Selene,and her aunt Circe and the dark goddess they worshiped who is definitely either Hekate or based on Hekate.
It’s a really good book for anyone who likes YA or books with mythological references and I am so excited to read more!

7 Likes

It sounds really cool! I’m not into YA books that much but that one sounds like a good one!

5 Likes

Hi, I hope you don’t mind, I moved your book discussion & added it to the Book Club that just started Dec 10. Feel free to fully review the book once you have finished also! There is a Review Template & the reviews will either be moved to or placed there once this session ends. :hugs:

5 Likes

@Susurrus Don’t sell yourself short- I know you’re an amazing reader, Siofra! And there’s nothing wrong with getting a head start haha. It sounds like Celtic Tree Magic is a really enjoyable read for you- I hope it continues to be awesome! :open_book: :blush:

@Jem1 Welcome to Book Club, Jem! This is a very casual place to chat about witchy books and share book recommendations with one another :books: :grinning: It sounds like This Poison Heart is a really interesting book- that’s so cool that it explores the Greek pantheon! I learned about Circe not too long ago and she seems like a really interesting witch/sorceress/scientist (her identity varies greatly depending on who you talk to! :laughing:). I wonder what role she will play in this book? Very interesting- thanks for the recommendation and enjoy your reading, Jem! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

Ok,thank you :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thanks you!

6 Likes

You’re very welcome, @jem1! Blessed be :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Lovely review @jem1 that’s great that you are going to start a new book too! At the end of the book club session, the reviews here will be moved to a Reader’s Review post of their own.

:star: :infinite_roots:

(There’s nothing that you need to do, just an FYI how it works from here once the session closes)

We typically use the following template for that post:

Book Title and Author:

Status? :

My overall rating of the book : /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book:

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

I copy & paste it into a word document & just update it as I finish the books & copy/paste it here. I hope this helps for future books!

Which other types of titles are you looking for? If you have a Kindle account, there are a lot of pagan titles :books: highly discounted or free through Kindle Unlimited. They also connect to Audible :ear: to listen to the book titles or other sound offerings by them.

I still enjoy a physical book most times, but do have quite the Kindle library now. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Pagan Portals has some good book series too on different aspects of Paganism & working with different Gods/Goddesses/Pantheons. Or just Paganism itself. Sometimes those are available pretty accessible or reasonably priced. :books:

4 Likes

@Susurrus Well I hope you get more out of the book than I did, and I definitely understand why you have to restart the book over. I think I’ll look up the book you just finished The Spirit of Celtic Gods & Goddesses: Their History, Magical Power, & Healing Energies By: Carl McColman & Kathryn Hinds with a foreword by Courtney Weber maybe that will be more insightful to me.

4 Likes

@Christine13 I can see why it would come off more meh to you, I would definitely look into at least the Pagan Portals recommendations from @MeganB. I have read other titles that relate only with Brigid, such as the ones mentioned here, & I have found that this book does have a bias slant & is more for working with Brigid after knowing the mythology & stories of her.

The previous book that I read is much better for a starting point with learning about the Celtic Pantheon & then moving to a series from Pagan Portals or the actual Irish/Celtic myths, stories, legends for the God or Goddess that you are learning or connecting with for your practice.

I also recommend learning the Goddess & Saint aspects because it is impossible to separate them as MeganB mentioned.

So far, this book is very helpful with ideas for bringing Brigid into your daily life, prayers, & things of that nature. Not so much About Brigid herself.

4 Likes