đź“ť Spells8 Book Club XXXI - Readers' Reviews!

Feel free to share your finished thoughts and reviews from your book last session (Sep 1 - 29) here! For the current book club post, please visit: Spells8 Book Club: XXXII

Wishing a very warm welcome to all of the Witchy Readers! :open_book:

The latest reading period for Book Club [Sep 1 - 29] has now ended - thank you to everyone who joined in!

Members & Their Books This Reading Period:

• Can’t Spell Treason Without Tea by Rebecca Thorne
    @BryWisteria

• The Goddess in Shadow by Allycia Rye
    @Amethyst

• The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
    @EvaCVM

• American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    @tracyS

• Witchcraft Unchained by Craig Spencer
    @MeganB

• Ancestral Whispers: A Guide to Building Ancestral Veneration Practices by Ben Stimpson
    @Jewitch

• To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver RavenWolf
    @Jaxblueflash

• Tarot for Yourself by Mary K Greer
    @Jeannie1

• Magickal Protection By Damon Brand
    @Solasta_Amore

• The Magical Books of Solomon: The Greater and Lesser Keys & The Testament of Solomon By Aleister Crowley, S.L. Macgregor Mathers, F.C. Conybear
    @TheMuslimWitch

Even if you are not listed above but you read a book during this reading period/ you decided to read a different book than listed- you are very welcome to share and discuss here too!

Time to share your thoughts with your coven! :star_struck:

This discussion post will serve as a place to share your thoughts and opinions on the book you chose.

• :heart_eyes: If you loved your book and think everyone should read it- awesome! Talk about your favorite points or something you learned.
  • :woman_shrugging: If you didn’t connect with the book- consider explaining why it wasn’t for you.
  • :angry: Absolutely hated your book of choice? Warn others to stay away!

This is a great place to share your love for books and find recommendations for new books to read :+1:

From Pixabay

Your book review can be as simple or elaborate as you’d like :writing_hand:

If you’re not sure what to talk about, here is a suggested format you can use. Feel free to write as little or as much as you’d like!

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

Remember that your review is uniquely yours- this is a chance to let your opinions and voice be heard :raised_hands:

Please keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours- when responding to the thoughts of others please always show respect! Remember that 100 people will read 1 book and have 100 different experiences. That’s what makes sharing interesting :heart:

What if I didn’t finish my book / joined late? :raised_hand:

No worries!

You are welcome to share your thoughts about the part you have read so far. If you joined the session late and have just started, feel free to talk about your expectations for your book. You can continue reading it into the next reading period.

And whether you read a book or not - you are very welcome to jump in and discuss what others share about their books! :handshake:

From Pixabay

Deadlines and Dates :spiral_calendar:

You have 5 weeks to share your thoughts and discuss (until the next Readers’ Review Post appears in the forum!)

Deadline for Reviews for this Session: Friday, November 3rd

While you have plenty of time for reviews, know that the next reading period will begin in one week:

The Next Reading Session will Begin: Friday, October 6th

On this day a post will appear where you can announce your next book (or continue with your current reading!).

Until then, you can find more info about the club in the Book Club FAQ.

From Pixabay

It can be hard to find the time and motivation to read on your own- hopefully book club helped provide a bit of motivation and that it led to some wonderful new knowledge and discoveries in your Craft :books:

Thanks again for joining in and being a part of Book Club! I am so excited to read your thoughts and learn more about the book you spent time with :blush::open_book:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

:books: :heart: :infinite_roots:

7 Likes

I decided to work with a workbook this month and let you know how it goes!
This book is very interactive! The neat thing is it can be for other people you read for!

I am happy with this workbook it gives me opportunities to inhance my skills and abilities! I think everyone in the pagan community should have this book :open_book:
Jeannie
Jeannie

11 Likes

@Jeannie1 What book is it. Looks fabulous :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Tracy,

Jeannie :books:

11 Likes

Book Title and Author: Ancestral Whispers: A Guide to Building Ancestral Veneration Practices by Ben Stimpson

Status?: Finished

My overall rating of the book: 9/10 (I took one point off because I would have preferred there to be example workings/evocations/etc., but I do understand and completely respect the author’s goals and publishing restraints in the writing of this book.)

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Lately, I’ve been wanting to connect with and honor my ancestors. I haven’t known where to start because I’m still trying to figure out the details of my path, and the description of the book sounded like it would be helpful in getting me to think about my worldview and help me come up with my own process of ancestor work.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I loved this book! It has so much great information and is written in a way that is informative without pushing one particular viewpoint or tradition. While the author does make it clear that they have studied several traditions, they are able to present aspects of many cultures that relate to the topics covered in the book in a neutral but respectful way, not implying that any one tradition or viewpoint is better than another.

One important thing that I think is important to point out about Ancestral Whispers is that if you are looking for a book that will provide any sort of “here’s-a-ritual-for-inviting-your-ancestors-to-join-in-your-magickal-working”-type of structure, this book is not it. There are no specific rituals, prayers, evocations, etc. provided, so if you are reading this book expecting direction in that regard, you may be disappointed. Because of this, I am having a hard time deciding if I would recommend this book to someone who is new to ancestor work. On the one hand, because it doesn’t provide any one specific viewpoint, it will get the reader thinking about different aspects of ancestor work to consider in developing a personal practice, so it is great in that it will not cause the reader to limit other input because they are so influenced by the first ritual for something they read. On the other hand, I feel that many people who are new to ancestor work would benefit from some form of an example ritual or working.

Despite not having any sample rituals, there are ample journal prompts that get you thinking about your worldview and how you can take those beliefs and apply them to your ancestor work. These questions were the kind that could prompt me to fill an entire notebook just to answer one question.

For the sake of brevity, I will quote a paragraph from the conclusion of the book that perfectly sums up the book and what I am trying to say about it:

In part one, I asked you to consider what you believe and how you see the ancestors. In part two, I asked you how your beliefs and worldview will affect how you communicate and collaborate with the ancestors through ritual. This book was not designed to be definitive; there are so many other pieces I feel have been left out, but it was designed to challenge. I hope that as you read this conclusion you come away with as many questions as you started with, but now with ideas on how to seek out the answers. (page 229)

An interesting quote from the book: “While many are interested in ancestral work to discover themselves, the relationships you build with your biological or affinity ancestors will impact your relationships to the living.” (page 230)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

12 Likes

That is one impressive (and hefty!) collection of books! :books: :star_struck:

There is something really grounded about holding the book and turning the pages. Sometimes I like to sit with the book in my hands and think about everything that exists between the two covers- it’s like holding an entire world in your hands :open_hands: :earth_americas:

I suppose the same could be done with an e-reader too (and I do sometimes like to use the e-reader, it’s great for travel!) but I completely agree that it’s a different feeling and a different experience to holding a physical book. I suppose each has their pluses and minuses! :grinning:

I always love a book that offers guidance without pushing! It sounds like Stimpson maintained a really lovely balance between providing information while still leaving the door open for the reader to use the material as they best see fit. It’s always impressive (and difficult at times!) to present various cultural traditions in an unbiased, respectful, and informative way.

I’m sorry there weren’t any specific rituals and practices to use, although the workbook is nice for those hoping to explore their beliefs. Overall, it sounds like a great foundation-builder, but that might require some additional materials for those who want step-by-step guidance into ancestor work.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, @Jewitch! Wishing you all the best with your ancestor work going forward :raised_hands: :heart:

11 Likes

I won’t have finished American Gods, now I’m reading S Connolly book about demonolatry, and just started Woman in Black. I will finish one of these :person_facepalming:, then I’ll post a review. Sorry, my brains everywhere, absorbing everything, in no particular order. :person_shrugging::joy:

10 Likes

Oh @Jeannie1 that does look like it could be helpful & beneficial to work with! Once I get some assemblance of anything :laughing: I may have to look into that one for myself :revolving_hearts:

@Jewitch I’m sorry there weren’t specific rituals, but I agree it sounds like maybe a great starting block to build off. Another 1 I should put on to read list…

I still have books to be read that are in my room too… trying to work through those. Goodness it’s been so long since I have felt like I have any time to read anything :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

@tracyS – no need for apologies :joy: I’m still listening to American Gods, too. I’m about halfway through, I think? I have eight days left on my library loan and I’m hoping I can finish it. I’m sure you’ll finish at least one book!

8 Likes

Don’t listen to her, @tracyS! Why finish one book when you can read bits and pieces of twelve? It’s not the destination that matters, but the journey… And all the chaos along the way! :black_heart:

Sorry @MeganB – I’m joking. :joy: I’m noticing that I often get a burst of silly energy when talking to @tracyS. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

haha no worries, @starborn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love that we can all be silly and ourselves here with everyone. It’s amazing! :clap: Also, Chaos Elmo is my favorite so much so that when I had my own Discord server, it was its own emoji :joy:

9 Likes

@starborn @MeganB Glad to share the silliness, it’s happy happy. I will finish a book, books at some point. The funny thing will be when I write the review, to make sure I don’t mix and match all the books. :person_shrugging::person_facepalming::joy::partying_face:

8 Likes

That’s why I can’t read more than one book at a time :joy:

8 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: :open_book: Spells8 Book Club XXXII (Oct 6 - Nov 3)

It is a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it! :smiley: The more I think about it, the more I get the point of there not being any example workings/evocations/etc. because ancestor work is a SUPER personal thing, plus the author talks about so many different groups and I do feel that it would be extremely difficult (and potentially have problematic outcomes) to go into too much detail about the different groups that the author wasn’t a member of :sweat_smile:

If you are (or anyone reading this is) more of an audiobook person, there’s also an audiobook version of it available now too! :smiley:

10 Likes

Oh that’s wonderful too! I can understand that too, it is a very personal thing for each person & each passed on loved one. I’m even more curious than before now. :hugs:

9 Likes

I just about forgot to post my review! Which would be a shame because I really liked this book!

Book Title and Author: The Goddess in Shadow by Allycia Rye

My overall rating of the book: 10/10! A must read for shadow work.

How does this relate to my magical practice: I wanted to learn more about the Dark Goddesses and how they can help me heal my shadow.

My personal thoughts, and opinions of the book: This is a great book. Not too long of a read, with rituals based on each goddess on how to heal your shadow. Really lovely writing, kept me engaged.

An interesting quote in the book: “The absence of the Dark Goddess energy and power in our psyche can be felt even if we do not feel that hurt consciously. It’s not surprising that most of us are moving in the world with wounds that cannot heal and hurts that we project onto others. We’ve been cut off from integral parts of who we are meant to be and we are fractured because of it. We cannot begin to heal until we go searching for our missing pieces and reinstate them where they belong.”

All in all, would I recommend this book: YES!

8 Likes

Book Title and Author:
To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf

Status? :
Still Reading

My overall rating of the book :
10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:
This book marked the inception of my magical journey, dating back to my early years at around the age of 12. During that time, I was unable to complete the book, but now, as I diligently work through its contents, it has ignited the beginning of a lifelong exploration into the world of Witchcraft.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
During this month, I devoted my time to studying a section dedicated to Gems and Stones. I meticulously transcribed all the valuable information into my Book of Shadows. Through this study, I gained a deeper understanding of which gems serve various intentions and discovered previously unfamiliar stones that have expanded my knowledge in this realm.

An interesting quote from the book:
“The bloodstone is really a jasper, but because of its unique properties I have listed it separately.”
I am looking forward to procuring a Bloodstone soon.

All in all, would I recommend this book?:
Yes

9 Likes

The 31st session of the Spells8 Book Club and its review period have closed. But no worries! You can visit the Activities Category to find and view the current session of Book Club :open_book: