Storing Your Tools

Hello! Wondering how best to store my tools when not in use. I have read that most people wrap them in black silk. Does anyone know why silk is used? I’d love to hear how others take care of their magickal items. Thanks so much!

10 Likes

I just leave them on my Altar. After a ritual I wash out the wine residue from the chalice and off the athame and empty out and rinse the brazier.

8 Likes

I second @john4 on the leaving them on the altar. This is why I am buying another 3 shelves for the wall. :open_mouth: I searched the site and the forum looking for a reason for the silk. I actually don’t know the answer and hope someone does. I can’t afford it so I keep my smaller stones and my tarot/oracle cards in velvet bags hanging on the wall, too.

8 Likes

From what I can remember, silk is supposed to help keep negative energy off. That’s just a vague memory though, I could be wrong. I’m with @john4, I leave some of my stuff like my wand and athame on the altar.

8 Likes

Bc silk is natural. But anything if the elements will do like glass, wood, etc for storing tools. It’s said to use the natural elements bc it holds the energy of the tools, crystals, etc.
But you can keep them out but before using them, cleanse. If the tools are out, the energies will mix.

9 Likes

Just put them in a drawer when not in use. You could keep them out on a shelf, dresser, altar but cleanse them before using them. :wink:

7 Likes

Like Kasie and Christina mentioned, I also remember reading that ritual tools can be wrapped in a piece of silk to keep out negative energies or to keep them charged.

I personally don’t feel snobby enough / capitalistic enough to spend on silk robes for my tools. My space is protected because I’m constantly burning incense and doing rituals My athame has a nice sheath that keeps it protected, and my other tools generally rest on the altar or in boxes.

7 Likes

Thank you guys so much! That’s kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe pouches made of natural materials. Appreciate all the advice!

5 Likes

You’re welcome @erin9!

4 Likes

My Athame came with a sheath… would that be enough to protect it… it is leather.

5 Likes

Yes, absolutely! It’s still natural and holds the energy. :blush:

5 Likes

I have some things that I keep on my altar space, then some in a curio cabinet, and other things in a drawer or in my closet. I’m kind of spaced out throughout the room. It works for me though. I know where everything is & I can get to them easy enough. I think it depends on who you are and what’s best for your practice. How you get things done and then storage will just kind of come to you.

3 Likes

My athame has a sheath so I store it on the altar, most of my small tools have glass vases I keep them in (scissors, carving tool, besom, wand etc. I use incense daily all day when I am home so they are cleansed. Most of my bigger tools are on a small shelf on my altar that was cleansed and consecrated for use on my altar. I have several pretty small plates, jars, etc to place my gemstones when charging but they are in a small glass candle jar all together. I don’t have the room to store my gemstones any other way.

Blessed be and have a great Saturday :sparkling_heart: )O(

4 Likes

I know I am replying to my own response but my husband and I were talking about this and mixing energies. However, I don’t believe that storing any tool, or item next to or touching something else is a bad thing. We charge our gemstones during the lunar ritual with moon energy of the lunar phase but that gemstone has it’s own energy as well. It just makes the energy of the item more powerful if that makes sense. During his Druid rituals he calls on many elements to aid him in his craft, his rituals takes a lot longer than mine do lol. But in my belief I would welcome the mixed energies as it makes my spellwork more powerful and less tiring for me. I hope that makes sense? :grin: :slight_smile: :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense to me! :grin::+1: Different gemstones have their unique properties, but charging and storing them together can increase the bond between them. Especially if all items are charged and cleansed together, I personally don’t see any issue with this! :gem: :sparkles:

4 Likes