Studying Judaism

I’m pausing this for a moderator review and letting them decide how to proceed. Thank you for lively, and mostly respectful, engagement of the topic.

3 Likes

Hello, I just found out about this website, here it explains why Jews don’t consume pork or crab, actually the whole kosher food laws about what’s prohibited and not prohibited are written in the Tanakh too, the link to the website is below this post, it might help out anyone confused about the kosher food laws

There are some loophole/s, if the answers in Quora are even acceptable to whichever denomination one is part of, I read somewhere there at Quora that an interfaith couple between a Jew and Christian, the Jew could eat pork, long as the Jew is eating said pork with the Christian in a meal, otherwise when apart, the kosher food laws still apply to the Jewish partner;

Links:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1452611/jewish/Why-Do-Jews-Not-Eat-Pork-or-Crab.htm

Note; Outside of any religious beliefs, foundation and practices, one of my parents, has an allergy to crab, that would explain why I never really ate an actual crab yet in a newly caught raw and fresh from any of the beaches in the Philippines, there are crabstick in the house but who knows if it has actual crab or not, it doesn’t have any labels

Peace,
Margaret

4 Likes

This man is a walking vault of wisdom.
I watched the whole clip, yikes!
Please do not doze off!:joy:.
Too long to resume it in a few lines.
There are different aspects I do not like: politics, fanatism, ancient beliefs and the brain washing “NOOM”!
Is it a small price to pay for absorbing so much knowledge?
I loved all that information. Some people would say I’d love to live in this or that age.
This clip proves me why I love to live in actual time.
Have to make dinner, will comeback, don’t go away. I’d love to pick your brains on the subject, it’s so fascinating!

3 Likes

We are what we eat, and that applies here to pork.
Interesting enough before religion, politics, etc. got in the way, humans farmed pork from North to South and East to West.
If you compare pork to the other animals mentioned, pork is the recycling animal.
It gets me thinking, the other animals eat very clean. Could this have something to do with the erosion created in the places mentioned?
We know that the other animals eat a specific diet and need more water than pork. We know that Countries like Egypt centuries ago were flourishing places to live. They were thriving civilizations all over the planet. We, as humans decided which animals favour on the table according to our cast or social status. The animals do not have a say in this matter.
Fact: rodents and pigs are clean animals.
Pigs are far clever than dogs.
Can guess which animal on the planet is the dirtiest?
In Guinea, I believe, they sell rats at the market, nobody lifts an eyelid.
In the south of Spain, they eat lizards.
Both lizzards and rats taste like chicken apparently.
I have tasted pork from an organic farm and was heaven on a plate.
It’s true you can get parasites eating pork, but also from other animals.
A healthy body can remove intestinal parasites easily.
Salmon carries parasites that only way to remove it is freezing the fish first.
A diet rich in fish carries high levels of mercury, yet we humans can cope. Take a look at the Spanish diet!
This an endless, yet wonderful topic. We could debate til the end of time and never reach an agreement.
So, I agree to disagree :wink:

3 Likes

Crab sticks from supermarkets do not have crab, maybe upmarket shops will sell it, the clue is in the price!
I pity those who for whatever reason or condition can not eat certain foods, myself included.
Food is one of the little pleasures to humans, and life is too short.
Have you ever done fasting?
It takes great power to look on a table filled with food and not be able to touch it.

3 Likes

Yep, I just did that about a day ago, at first? It was literally difficult to stop myself from consuming pork, especially when the entire household I live in are non kosher and are goyim, (Whenever I end up accidentally or end up having to break a law about food that Adonai has given, I remember that, I’ll be atoning for that on the Day of Atonement or will end up committing Teshuvah for the transgression)

it’s okay though, fasting is supposed to teach oneself self control, patience, gratitude and discipline

4 Likes

@anne2 :
Interesting thanks.
I have done fasting in my youth and more recently after I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
36 hours, a sort of experiment to find out where body feeds on glucose in the absence of food.
I feel more confident fasting now. Only have my partner, but I found in the past that in my culture I did not get a lot of support from my family.
Sometimes the body will ask you to retreat, get under the duvet and sleep.
There are active fasters, nothing wrong getting on with your daily activities.
It’s a bit risky with diabetes, glucose levels can drop fast getting you in hypo mode.
Yet can be done.
Thank you, it has been very educating.

2 Likes

Be careful then, if you have any underlying health conditions when it comes to fasting, there are times when fasts can be broken if the fasting will leave serious damage on one’s body

Same thing happened too, thankfully was able to sleep off what was gnawing on my mind that day, didn’t exactly kept count how many hours did the fasting last, only that it was likely half a day did it last

3 Likes

@anne2 :
That’s when meditation comes in handy. The mind is more active than usual.
The stomach is called the second brain.
Brain and stomach are connected.
Animals fast all the time, more so if they are sick.
Minor cultures have one meal a day!
Fasting is giving the stomach time off… if we want a healthy brain we have to sleep.
Weekends are ideal to do so.
According to Christianity We’re not supposed to work on Sundays, therefore Sabat-Sarurday have to make preparations for the following day.
It’s like a washing maching: pre-wash cycle Saturday and full cycle on Sunday.
Yet we run very busy lives to do so.
We’re forgiven, God is not angry with us anymore​:two_hearts::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

There’s some verse somewhere that said to only eat if needed and if it’s for survival, if it’s only to eat because one wants to eat, then don’t do it,

Fair enough, if done correctly, yes it is, can’t say much though cause I tend to sleep late in the night

Sabbath in the side of the Jews is mostly done from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown (this is the very weekday to weekend do I attempt the best ability to not consume pork, even though I’m mostly needed on Fridays or Saturday mornings and afternoons to cook food for everyone else in the house, I do make up for it by abstaining from a meal or two for the entire day),
Even though the Rosh Hashanah holiday is now rapidly upcoming, I’ve no intention of using Yeshua as an excuse to escape from the chastisement Adonai gives out to the transgressors of the laws handed out already, Yep, it’s actually technically encouraged one should cook and prepare foods from Thursday to last until Saturday (that however can’t be applied to the family I’m in, so finding ways to make up for breaking a mitzvah of not working will have to do)

2 Likes

@anne2

Thanks again. You have educated me with your knowledge.
I could listen to you endlessly, you are like fountain of wisdom.
And I am not saying this lightly!:two_hearts:

2 Likes

Trichinosis has been a stigma associated with the consumption of pork for years. A recent study indicates that a trichinae-safe pork supply would increase consumer confidence and pork consumption, resulting in additional income to pork producers. Maybe they knew about intestinal Parasites. COOK YOUR PORK

2 Likes

@Garnet
I love animal protein, specially pork. Recently bought organic trotters. Make tasty stock and wonderful jelly for aspics.
Had experience in the past with internal worms. In a healthy body will not cause much trouble and in the end they usually find a way out.
I’m more concerned these days about the calcification of the body.
Essentially is like limescale. Blood will get thicker in the end. This article I read, encourages us all to change our feeding habits as we age. Less protein, after all, most of us only need 1%, the rest is not stored.
More vegs and plenty of water.
The only liquid humans need. Leave milk to infants. The cows will thank you for it.
Protein equals constipation as starch do.
Have you seen big cats drinking water after a large meal and feeling lethargic?
They need time to process all that meat.
Humans are not exception. I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I tried it.
My motto: if it works stick with it, if not, move on.
And, within reason, I can eat anything that has a pulse. But I love variety. I eat to live, not the other way around.
Tasty pork, love the pork belly!
Can’t eat the scratchings the way I used to, lack of teeth. I do not think of degenerative diseases when am enjoying it on my plate.
I leave that for afters!:joy:

2 Likes

Have you ever made bone broth. PIA to make, but soooo good for you and tastes good.

2 Likes

@Garnet
I did many times.
What is a good stew or soup without broth?.
“A galiña vella fai bo caldo”. The old hen makes good stock
( It’s also an old Galician saying that means: mature ladies are better than
young girls🤭) .
Chicken broth is an old remedy to cure colds, and a winter staple.
I love Ox broth, even better buffalo.
Broth can be used to make osso bucco or ox tail.
Very fattening, yam!

2 Likes

Mom didn’t use stock, believe it or not she used those nasty little foil wrapped cubes. She also used gravy master and something called liquid smoke…yuck!

2 Likes

Thank you, I guess @basil ? Though I’m not the one the knowledge originates from, that’s on Hashem, and the countless rabbis and sages throughout the ages

3 Likes

@Garnet
Mum was the same, used those cubes as a quick fix and Maggi instant soups.
It took me a long time to convinced my polish partner stop buying those instant soups, although better quality now.
Specially like the beetroot borscht. I added it to plain rice and it turned pink.
Made borscht only once, far better than that shitty bought stuff.
I gave up on those years ago, I don’t even uses the organic version.
A only use rock or sea salt if I get crump’s in my legs.
Love my herbs and spices!:+1:
You can not beat that!

1 Like