Summer Solstice 2022 ☀ Coven Celebrations!

Image Source

It’s almost Summer Solstice!

The Solstice is happening on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.

We have reached June, the peak time for Summer here in the Northern Hemisphere! I know, not everywhere is going to be celebrating summer, hot days, and beach trips right now. In some places the world is just starting to warm up! For me in Florida, June is the beginning of Hurricane Season (the official date was June 1st), something that I honor separately. But what is a solstice?

Well, that has a simple-ish explanation. A solstice is an astronomical event that happens twice a year. The tilt of the Earth’s axis affects our days and nights because of how our planet faces the sun. On a solstice, the point of our tilt, so to speak, is either closest to or furthest away from the sun. During the Summer Solstice, we are closest to the sun!

You can read more about what exactly a solstice is on NASA’s website here → Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere - NASA

In the Southern Hemisphere, you will be experiencing the Winter Solstice since we are on opposite ends of our Big Blue Planet :earth_africa:

What is Litha?

Within Wiccan practice, Litha (Summer Solstice) is one of the points on the Wheel of the Year. It is the time of year when the Oak King and Holly King battle it out again for one to win over the other. This sends us into our Midsummer, a season of abundance, energy, and fertility! Many people around the world celebrate Litha in different ways, some of whom do not call it Litha at all!

In the early history of Litha, people would set large wheels of hay and wood on fire to roll them downhill into rivers or streams . That was an ode to the balance of the elements of nature, such as fire and water. They would celebrate by setting a huge bonfire to mirror the peaking, powerful sun. Litha Symbols - Spells8

Summer Solstice has also always been a large celebration at Stonehenge. The last few years people have not been able to physically travel to Stonehenge for a celebration. That’s okay, though! Sunrise at Stonehenge has been streamed live on YouTube in many places. You can find a live video of this astronomical event on English Heritage’s YouTube channel.

Common Neo-Pagan Correspondences

Colors: Red, Orange, Green, Yellow, Gold
Food and Drink: Bread, Cakes, Salads and Seasonal Fruits, Fresh Juice, Sunflower Tea, Water, Beer, White Wine
Crystals: Amber, Jade, Tiger’s Eye, Jasper, Peridot, Aventurine, Ruby
Herbs and Flowers: Lavender, Chamomile, Roses, Daisies, Lily, Elder, Fennel, St. john’s Wort, Verbena

Need celebration ideas?

Litha Symbols & Traditions: Ideas to Celebrate the Summer Solstice

Learn about different Litha symbols, correspondences, and celebrations!

:arrow_forward: Litha Celebration Ritual #CastAlong

See our easy Cast Along video for Litha here on Spells8!

:arrow_forward: Litha Divination

See @Francisco’s post about the connection between Litha and divination.

How to Celebrate Litha Alone: Ideas for a Pagan Summer Solstice!

Celebrating alone? We’ve got you covered. Read more in this post about celebrating Litha as a solitary practitioner.

Southern Hemisphere Friends!

And for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere, you might be celebrating Yule or the Winter Solstice! Check out some of these links here if you need ideas to celebrate.

→ Get some ideas from a past challenge! Samhain Weekly Witchy Challenge!

:christmas_tree: How to Celebrate Yule Alone? Ideas+Ritual!

Get some ideas if you’re celebrating alone!

Yule Traditions: Pagan Winter Solstice Symbols and Ways to Celebrate

Learn more about different customs for Yule and the Winter Solstice.

:arrow_forward: Yule Celebration Ritual #CastAlong

If you’re celebrating alone, we’ve got you covered with a Cast Along ritual!

:cat2: The Yule Cat: An Icelanding Folk Tale

The Yule Cat is a fascinating Icelandic tale for Yule!

:sunflower: :sun: :sunflower:

However you plan to celebrate, I hope you have an amazing holiday season! Keep in mind that traditionally, these celebrations may have gone on longer than just a day. Give yourself grace and time to prepare. In my practice, many of these holidays, especially as an Irish-focused Celtic Pagan, revolve around community service, family protection, and food. So bake the breads and cakes, feed your neighbors, and have a good time!

Note: Please use this post to share your Beltane/Samhain plans, questions, etc.

18 Likes

Thanks for putting this together, @MeganB! Not sure just what I’m doing yet, I hope to find some inspiration here!

9 Likes

Thank you so much, @MeganB for putting all the links and information together in one post for us.
With Love & Magick
:heart:

10 Likes

Yes thank you Megan :pray:t2::kissing_heart:

10 Likes

Happy Solstice everyone! :partying_face:

I love this time of year :heart_eyes: :sun_with_face: In Poland in Slavic pagan traditions, the night of the summer solstice is called Noc Kupały (Kupala Night). While the church has stamped out or altered many of the original pagan traditions in Poland, some areas and some traditions still celebrate the night with rituals.

The celebration relates to the summer solstice when nights are the shortest and includes a number of Slavic rituals. It involves herb collecting, bonfire lighting, and bathing in the river.

From Wikipedia: Kupala Night

It also means it’s time for me to listen to my favorite Polish song- a song about wild witches on Midsummer/Kupala Night :notes::dancer:

Thanks so much for all the great info, @MeganB! :heart:

Wishing everyone a happy and blessed solstice! Dance the night away! :sparkles:

15 Likes

Oh man, I love the Solstice & Litha, I had just lost track of it coming upon us… one more thing to add to my to-do list for myself. What needs to happen is that things start getting checked off that list… right now things are just being added to it :laughing:

I will definitely be doing something. I just have to figure out what that is though. I think I am going to have a fire :fire:

11 Likes

You’re so lucky to have such a nice fire pit, Siofra. I envy you!

Then again I’ve never built a fire, I’d probably singe my eyebrows off. LOL!

9 Likes

Not gonna lie, I have a scar that goes along the side of my right thumb because when I was putting a piece of a pallet on the fire with a stick, my hand came back but I didn’t even feel the burn until later when I went to use the stick again & tried to hold the handle. There was just a small ball of skin at one end of the burn. I have also burned the ends of my baby hairs around my face because of bending too close when the wind went through & I didn’t realize how high the flames were at the time.

9 Likes

Owie. That had to have hurt!

9 Likes

Like I said, I didn’t feel it until it started to get tight :grin:, so I put my antibiotic burn cream on the first couple of days then a manuka honey ointment for wounds so it didn’t get too dry.

9 Likes

How informative! Thank you!

11 Likes

Thank you @MeganB for all this info. I know what I am going to do now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

You’re very welcome everyone! :heart:

@Siofra_Strega – Are you going to be our example of fire safety? :laughing: /jk

9 Likes

@MeganB thank you so much for the info! I’m stoked about making a Litha altar!!!

11 Likes

My thumb/hand after 5 weeks healing from a burn…

ALWAYS BE AWARE OF FIRE SAFETY

Yours Truly,

Not paying attention to the wood being added in relation to the grate

8 Likes

Owie. Glad you’re okay, @Siofra_Strega!

7 Likes

Thank you, I definitely learned a couple of lessons that day!

7 Likes

@TheTravelWitch_Bry what a fun song! Those are some not so nice witches!

8 Likes

I think we might celebrate with a delicious family meal on the deck (I’m thinking strawberry pecan salads with some grilled chicken), swimming and a fire in the fire pit. I might let the littles make fresh lemonade and maybe some homemade strawberry ice cream (if I can find my ice cream maker pieces!) I’m thinking strawberry Riesling smoothies for the grown folks or a nice sangria… and this dessert looks amazing! I may try to do a no bake version though! As always, we’ll see what gets accomplished!

Lemon lavender mascarpone cheesecake

11 Likes

I’ve never celebrated the beginning of the Summer Solstice but I AM THIS YEAR! I’ve been really connected with myself and my surroundings, the earth, water, everything around me. The outside has been my saving grace the last few weeks (before I just got sick). I plan on having a fire that night and probably going to look for some great summer cooking ideas to make for my family, sit outside, grill probably, and eat on the patio table under the umbrella before some SMORES (bc we can’t have a fire w/out smores with our kids lol).

I hope everyone has a wonderful celebration.

Blessed Be Everyone :heart:

11 Likes