Tarot Advice Please

I am new to Tarot, and I am teaching myself by doing a card a day. I just started doing it this month and I feel myself getting better. My intuition seems to be kicking in more and more. Having said that, I noticed a pattern over the last two weeks in particular. Out of the last 14 days I have pulled 8 Swords suits! Clearly the deck is trying to tell me something. I’ve pulled 5 thru 8, the Page, the King, and the Ace twice. So my first question is does anyone have any thoughts on this pattern?

Second, my card of the day today was the six of swords in reverse. My intuition was torn however. Two different situations immediately rose to the surface. One being a situation/relationship with my son and the other being the the loss of my husband. I am struggling to determine what exactly I am trying to be told here. It could very easily be trying to tell me it is time to let go of my husband, or that I am holding on to tight and need to allow other possibilities for love at the very least. Without giving too long of a story, it could also mean I need to make a change regarding the current situation I am going through with my son. I am, for lack of a softer way to put it, allowing him to pretty much use me right now because I am unsure of how to tell him he needs to get himself together and start his own life because he is currently controlling mine and it’s time for that to stop. It’s complicated though, he’s my son and I can’t bring myself to just “kick him out”.

I know, heavy conversations! I know I am new here, but I honestly don’t have very many RW alternative to go to!! :confused:

Mostly I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding the multitude of swords in my readings, or as to how I can go about determining which situation the cards are trying to point me to? Or, well, any thoughts at all would be appreciated at this point I guess! lol

Thanks for listening to me ramble if nothing else!!

7 Likes

I think your particular situation warrants more than just tarot readings, maybe start some shadow work for the two situations mentioned as well @TheDarkestDesire would be well worth your time. Sounds like you and your son have a co-dependent relationship, and there’s tons of literature and self-help about how to move this along and make things better for both of you.

As far as the sword suits drawings for your single card tarot readings, I think you might want to do a larger spread to ask for more guidance through the situations. The Sword suits are most likely referencing the relationship with your son. Read the Biddy Tarot description of this:
“Should a Tarot reading be predominantly Swords cards, you are seeking solutions to what are primarily mental struggles, conflict and arguments, and decisions that must be made. Also, there could be many arguments or even violence at present. While Swords can carry with them many negative or very strong, forceful messages, Swords serve also as a warning to be more cautious of what is occurring around you.”

Maybe get a second reading from someone like our amazing Friday tarot reader @MeganB - that could give you perspective as well. Make sure you are asking the exact same thing to her that you do in your own daily drawings. I hope I helped, I am not an expert at Tarot, but shadow work and psychology are my jam. :). Good luck xo

7 Likes

@jan_TheGreenWitch,

Thank you for your thoughts and advice! Not gonna lie, the Biddy Tarot description you provided made me cry it was so horribly spot on. I hate admitting that. But there it is. I will definitely look into some shadow work and the self-help literature too.

Again, thank you.

6 Likes

Coming from a co-dependent mother (me), it took me years to work my way out of the stuff you’re going through, but once you’re on the other side, it is such sweet happiness and peace. <> for your tears my dear. Xoxo

6 Likes

My first thought is that whatever you’re dealing with has a lot to do with your mental health, logical thinking, and inspiration. The swords deal with matters of the mind rather than matters of the heart, so when swords come up often in readings, I usually see it as something in the mind that needs to be addressed. This can be overthinking, depression, anxiety, rationality, etc. I’d start there!

This can come down to the question you’re asking when you pull cards. If you’re asking for a general reading then you’re going to get a general response that may take more intuition to figure out. The more specific of a question you can ask, the better you may be able to connect with the answer you’re given. Just make sure you’re asking open-ended questions rather than questions with a rigid response, i.e. yes/no, times, dates, etc.

You can also ask clarifying questions! I know you said you’re doing readings with just one card right now but adding in a second card just for clarity might be a good step for you, even if just for practice :blush:

I know @Susurrus takes a few courses from Biddy Tarot, mostly the Intuitive Reading one, I think? I could be wrong lol She seems to like them, as far as I know! Biddy Tarot is a really good resource.

I think this is also very true, as well. When dealing with trauma, co-dependency, and loss, it can help to go to therapy (if you have access), learn more about your own triggers, and learn some coping skills that can help you in situations like this.

Hopefully I was able to help a bit!

7 Likes

@MeganB,

Thank you very much for your insight and thoughts. I think I will try adding a second clarifying card next time! I was pretty sure the multiple Swords was definitely pointing to my mental health, something I struggle with already, but the situation at hand has been causing a backslide. I know it’s something I need to deal with before it gets worse, and I am trying to handle it, it’s just complicated for me. As far as seeking the help of a therapist, It is in the works. I’m unfortunately living on a tight budget and do not have insurance so my options are a bit limited.

It will probably strike some as being funny or ironic, but I am actually enrolled in school for my Bachelor of Arts in Sociology. Once complete I plan to get my Masters in discipline of Psychology. I intend to become a therapist myself. So, I know and am learning all of the things that I need to do, but implementing them in my own life is a bit different than teaching others to! lol. But I am working on it.

Anyway, I appreciate the pointers and information from you both!!

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad I was able to help :blush:

That’s totally understandable :heart: I’ve been in your position before and know how difficult it can be to get the help and support you need. I’m glad to know that you’re doing well and you have the self-awareness to know!

And I don’t think it’s ironic that you’re going to school to become a therapist. That’s a noble goal! I have a cousin who is also in a Masters program to become a therapist. We need more people willing to jump into that field and help others :heart:

5 Likes

I 2nd this! Biddy has been a great help to me as well.

6 Likes

I’m doing the same. Each morning I ask what I need to know that day and whatever card I get, I break it down piece by piece. What are all the meanings for the suit, the number, minor/major, court and then break down the imagery. I don’t make a read on it. I leave it sitting facing me all day while I work (I work from home). As the day progresses, I end up literally watching most of the meanings unfold right before my eyes. Then at the end of the day or the next morning, I go back over it and I understand so much better.

5 Likes

@Shine,

I love this idea! I think I’ll start doing this. I imagine it helps give you further insight into the card as you see it unfold, as you said! Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate the thoughts.

5 Likes

And journal journal journal! I use a daily planner. If you have something interesting happen, note it. Glancing back a few days you may see it suggested in the cards. I check the sign the moon is in & the attributes of that sign. I am the daily tarot poster in an fb group im in. Here is a recent post of mine so you can get an idea of what I’m saying. Also, here is the Decan Wheel I use to get deeper info.

Image Source

5 Likes

I have been keeping a journal, for sure!! Thanks for the Decan Wheel, I’ve never seen or heard if it before, I’ll be taking a look at it!

Thanks for the advice! :smiley:

5 Likes

@Shine, I have never come across the Decan Wheel either! @jan_TheGreenWitch I am currently taking the Biddy Tarot courses & loving them :heart_eyes: My readings & being able to read them intuitively & understand the cards is sooooo much better. I never look at the guidebooks anymore which feels amazing too!

I am going to print an image of the Decan Wheel, and maybe see what happens if I can incorporate that into my daily draws. I use a journal for my daily draws now that I am more comfortable with the daily intuitive readings I had learned from Biddy Tarot.

The courses have also helped me to relearn trusting my intuition & gut… it was a bit shaky for a while, but I have worked through some things & along came some definite clarity more recently. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@TheDarkestDesire Biddy Tarot does have a free workshop… I’m not sure if it’s running currently… but it does through the year on how to read the cards intuitively. I got so much great information from that I started the actual program for reading tarot through her courses.

5 Likes

@Susurrus Yay! Bring the knowledge past where you found it. Love it.

5 Likes

The free pieces of training are Biddy Tarot Free Resources

5 Likes

Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that!!

6 Likes

It’s a great workshop & since I have started my Biddy Tarot journey :thinking: to learn the tarot, I no longer use the guidebooks. I hope that you enjoy them too! :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

So far the free content has been awesome! I can’t wait to start actually working on it! Starting this morning in fact! :smiley:

Thanks again for the advice and the link!

6 Likes

Oh you are very welcome! Great minds think alike! I was actually working on my things within the Biddy Tarot site that have come up too! The Intuitive Reading Free Course is amazing & what actually got me really started on learning & understanding the tarot. Make sure to use the workbook & extra content… it will help you so much get started & being able to understand what your readings mean for you! :revolving_hearts: I’m so happy that you are enjoying them! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I can so empathize with the son situation and the suit of swords had been looking me lately too. Not sure how much just listening and empathizing helps but you have gotten some great insight and advice :people_hugging: :unicorn: :sparkles:

4 Likes