Tending Brighid's Flame

It sounds like this card brought back some happy nostalgia for you, Marsha! :blush: I think that we keep a little piece of everywhere we travel to- Ireland remains in your heart! :green_heart:

And gosh, I love your Tiger’s Eye kitty! :cat2: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Tending Brigid’s Flame
:triquetra:

10 June 2022
Brighde by Stuart Littlejohn
Art by Stuart Littlejohn

4 Likes

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Brigid and the Sacred Flame

In her earliest incarnation, as Breo-Saighit, she was called the Flame of Ireland, Fiery Arrow. She was a Goddess of the forge as well, reflecting on her fire aspect. Legend says that when She was born, a tower of flame reaching from the top of her head to the heavens. Her birth, which took place at sunrise, is rumored to have given the family house the appearance of being on fire.

For many centuries, there were 19 virgins (originally priestesses and later nuns) who tended Her eternal flame at Kildare. There they are said to have sung this song (until the 18th century):

“Bride, excellent woman,
sudden flame,
may the fiery, bright sun
take us to the lasting kingdom.”

These women were the virgin daughters of the Fire and were called Inghean au dagha; but, as fire-keepers, were Breochwidh. The Brudins, a place of magical cauldron and perpetual fires, disappeared when Christianity took hold. “Being in the Brudins” now means in the fairies. Brigid’s shrine at Kildare was active into the 18th century. It was closed down by the monarchy. Originally cared for by nineteen virgins, when the Pagan Brigid was Sainted, the care of her shrine fell to Catholic nuns. The fire was extinguished once in the thirteenth century and was relit until Henry VIII of England set about supressing the monastaries. (8) Sister Mary Minchin, a Brigedian nun at Kildaire relit the flame on Febuary 2, 1996 and the intention is to keep it burning perpetually once again.

In an ancient Irish text Giraldus Cambrensis, she and nineteen of her nuns took turns in guarding a sacred fire which burned perpetually and was surrounded by a hedge within which no male might enter. In this, Brigid is like the Gaulish ‘Minerva’." In Minerva’s sanctuary in Britain there was also a perpetual flame. According to the Irish Text “The Book of Dunn Cow,” Brigid’s sacred number was nineteen, representing the nineteen-year cycle of the Celtic Great Year, the time it took from one new moon to the next to coincide with the Winter Solstice. It was believed though, that on the twentieth day of each cycle Brigid herself would tend the flame.

Mythical Ireland - Brighid & the Sacred Flame

A statue of Saint Brigid at Saint Brigid’s Well just outside Kildare village. Image Source

The Way of Brighid Oracle

• By Tonja Reichley (WildIrishRoots | Etsy)
  • I shuffled the cards 3 times, removed the top 3 cards, & drew:

Fox

• For Wildness

Brighid communes with both the flora and fauna of nature. She shares a special affinity with the fox, a creature representing the mystique of the wildwood.

Brighid recognizes that you need to connect with the wild. Spend time visualizing your favorite wild place. Visit this place in your mind, engaging all of your senses. Embrace this wildness within your being and allow this primal aspect of yourself to be unencumbered and free.

YOU ARE WILD

4 Likes

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Brighid is the Goddess of Healing, Smithcraft, Poetry & is a member of the Tuatha de Danaan tribe from Celtic times in Ireland.

To this day there is the unusual blending of Brighid the ancient Goddess with the Saint and how typically Gaelic this is; this mixture of Christian and Old Celtic and pagan lore, exemplified in poetry like this:

• Is tu gleus na Mnatha Sithe,
    Is tu beus na Bride bithe,
    Is tu creud na Moire mine,
    Is tu gniomh na mnatha Greuig,
    Is tu sgeimh na h’Eimir aluinn,
    Is tu mein na Dearshul agha,
    Is tu meann na Meabha laidir,
    Is tu taladh Binne-bheul. Thine is the skill of the Fairy Woman,

English Translation

And the virtue of St. Brigit,
And the faith of Mary the Mild,
And the gracious ways of the Greek woman,
And the beauty of lovely Emir,
And the tenderness of heartsweet Deirdre,
And the courage of Maev the great Queen,*
And the charm of Mouth O’ Music*."*

Patroness of the Smiths

As patroness of Smiths, there is the mention of a forge in a Old Irish poem in praise of Brigid. The poem contrasts Brigid’s lasting strength to the passing glory of the Fortress of Alenn, where once were witnessed:

Glés a hindeón cotad cúar,
clúas a dúan do thengthaib bard,
bruth a fer fri comlann nglan,
cruth a ban fri oenach n-ard.

The ringing of its busy bent anvils,
the sound of songs from poets’ tongues
the heat of its men at clean contest,
the beauty of its women at high assembly.
Beannachtaí ar an gCeárta – Blessings on the Forge!

Mythical Ireland: Myths & Legends - Brigid

Goddess Brighid
Image Credit

The Way of Brighid Oracle Draw :triquetra:

Fire

• For Courage

Today, call upon Brighid, Lady of Fire, to receive the blessing of courage.

An area of your life exists where you need the transformative power of the flame. Call upon Brighid, in her aspect of Fire, as you light a candle with this affirmation: “Brighid, Lady of Fire, help me remember that the flame of Spirit dances within me and gives me courage to face obstacles and embrace challenges.” Allow this spark to ignite your strength and power.

YOU ARE COURAGE

yin-and-yang-g72e8961aa_640
Image by 0fjd125gk87 from Pixabay

4 Likes

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Brighid is the Goddess of Healing, Smithcraft, Poetry & is a member of the Tuatha de Danaan tribe from Celtic times in Ireland.

Brigid, or Brid, was one of the foremost deities of the Irish Celtic pantheon. Among the Tuatha De Dannan, she was one of the most popular goddesses.

Historians believe that Brigid was a largely personal goddess. People around Ireland found different ways to worship her for many different reasons. Brigid Irish Goddess/Goddess of the Celts

Patroness of the Smiths

As patroness of Smiths, there is the mention of a forge in a Old Irish poem in praise of Brigid. The poem contrasts Brigid’s lasting strength to the passing glory of the Fortress of Alenn, where once were witnessed:

Glés a hindeón cotad cúar,
clúas a dúan do thengthaib bard,
bruth a fer fri comlann nglan,
cruth a ban fri oenach n-ard.

The ringing of its busy bent anvils,
the sound of songs from poets’ tongues
the heat of its men at clean contest,
the beauty of its women at high assembly.
Beannachtaí ar an gCeárta – Blessings on the Forge!

Mythical Ireland: Myths & Legends - Brigid

Image Source Credit

Oak

• For Fortitude

Brighid built her temple in a grove of towering oak trees.

Close your eyes. Visualize sitting with your back against a mighty oak. Allow yourself to sink into the trunk of the tree. The oak has a message for you: “Stand tall and strong with fortitude against life’s challenges. At the same time, learn from my greatest weakness which is inflexibility- my branches break easily in strong wind.” Allow yourself to be strong and at the same time mutable.

YOU ARE STRENGTH

4 Likes

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Lewes_Bonfire_Night_2013_South_Street_bonfire_2
Image Source

Water

• For Wisdom

Today, call upon Brighid, Lady of Water, to receive the blessing of wisdom.

You are invited to drink from Brighid’s sacred well of wisdom. Visualize a lush garden with a trickling stream curving through banks of wild herbs. You are filled with deep peace. Scoop your hand into the water and bring her healing essence to your lips. Drink deeply. Allow stillness. In the silence, receive Brighid’s wisdom.

YOU ARE YOU ARE WISE

5 Likes

Friday, June 17, 2022

Brighid’s Fiery Aspects

Worshippers sometimes call Brigid the “Triple Goddess” for her fires of the hearth, inspiration, and the forge. She is a powerful being and through her fires, she is the patroness of healing arts, fertility, poetry, music, prophecy, agriculture, and smithcraft. Many people also call her the Goddess of the Well, as she also has ties to the element of water. The well is sacred because it stems from the womb of the earth, and Brigid is also Mother Earth or the Mother Goddess. Her association with the sacred cow reflects the Celtic reliance on the animal for sustenance; milk was an important theme throughout the year, especially during the cold winter months when hardship threatened. Celtic Goddess Brigid - Historic Mysteries

Image Source: Pinterest

The Cow

• For Abundance

Brighid roamed the hills of Ireland with a white red-eared cow as her companion. This cow was famous for her ability to give limitless milk.

Where in your life would like to milk abundance? What limits are preventing this? Brighid wants you to know life’s bounty can be yours. Welcome abundance into your life. Give gratitude. Allow yourself to feel bounteous in all aspects of your life.

YOU ARE ABUNDANT

4 Likes

I really needed this one this morning. I’ve got some :sparkles: feelings :sparkles: happening around myself and what I know. Or actually, to be more accurate, it’s around the things I don’t know and how I often feel incompetent compared to some other witches in the online space :sweat_smile: thank you for the reminder. :heart:

5 Likes

So in all of my pre-actual coffee… I chose the information part a half an hour after I had drawn the card & didn’t see the correlation until just now :eyes: Duuurrrrr…

You are very welcome @MeganB.

Currently I feel like I think I’m seriously underestimating myself. So, I’m sure where this fits in my life will come to me by the next time I read it though :joy:

4 Likes

Okay so now that I have had some time & gone back to the post, this is more like Brighid :fire: screaming an answer to me because I haven’t been noticing the little things. Maybe told her “relative from the Tuatha de Danaan” the Morrigan :raven: to give me a kick in the ass? :thinking:

4 Likes

Saturday, June 18, 2022

*Brighid’s Many Forms *

In northern Britain, Brighid’s counterpart was Brigantia, a warlike figure of the Brigantes tribe near Yorkshire, England. She is similar to the Greek goddess Athena and the Roman Minerva. Later, as Christianity moved into the Celtic lands, St. Brigid was the daughter of a Pictish slave who was baptized by St. Patrick and founded a community of nuns at Kildare.

In addition to her position as a goddess of magic, Brighid was known to watch over women in childbirth, and thus evolved into a goddess of hearth and home.

Image Source

Brighid’s Mantle

• For Manifesting

Brighid’s mantle manifests magic and miracle. When four of her aide women each took a corner and walked in the four directions, the cloak grew and grew until it covered the plains of the Curragh in Ireland.

Brighid asks you to visualize what in your life you wish to manifest. Conjure up that dream and make it bigger. And now, even bigger. Allow your dream to grow and expand, like the magic of Brighid’s cloak. You can realize all that you believe!

YOU ARE A MANIFESTOR OF DREAMS

4 Likes

@MeganB, incompetent? Hardly! You are 100% one of my go to people when I have questions or doubts! I love to hear your thoughts. I hope you banish those feelings right away! I definitely see you as a “mentor witch”!

:heart::woman_mage::heart:

4 Likes

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Brighid’s Many Forms

In northern Britain, Brighid’s counterpart was Brigantia, a warlike figure of the Brigantes tribe near Yorkshire, England. She is similar to the Greek goddess Athena and the Roman Minerva. Later, as Christianity moved into the Celtic lands, St. Brigid was the daughter of a Pictish slave who was baptized by St. Patrick and founded a community of nuns at Kildare.

In addition to her position as a goddess of magic, Brighid was known to watch over women in childbirth, and thus evolved into a goddess of hearth and home.

Goddess-Brighid
Image Credit

Goddess of Poetry

• For a Creative Lifestyle

Ancient bards of Ireland invoked Brighid to inspire their words. Today she is a muse of all creative works.

Where in your life would you like to be more creative? Make a decision to start a creative endeavor like journaling, spinning wool, making jewelry, or creating art. Take time today and everyday to nurture the creative aspect of yourself. Call upon Brighid for inspiration. Allow your creative works to ignite the spark of your true self.

YOU ARE CREATIVE

4 Likes

Monday, June 20, 2022

Brigid is the daughter of the Dagda, one of the more universal deities of the pagan Gaelic world. She is known as the Goddess of Healers, Poets, Smiths, Childbirth, and Inspiration; Goddess of Fire and Hearth, and a patron of warfare or Briga. Her soldiers were called Brigands. Her name means “Exalted One.” She is also known as Brigantia, Brid, Bride, Briginda, Brigdu, and Brigit. She is said to lean over every cradle. The lore and customs have continued to this day regarding Brighid, more vividly than all the other Gaelic deities combined.

fire-g20412f558_640
Image by Hans Braxmeier from Pixabay

Goddess of Poetry

• For a Creative Lifestyle

Ancient bards of Ireland invoked Brighid to inspire their words. Today she is a muse of all creative works.

Where in your life would you like to be more creative? Make a decision to start a creative endeavor like journaling, spinning wool, making jewelry, or creating art. Take time today and everyday to nurture the creative aspect of yourself. Call upon Brighid for inspiration. Allow your creative works to ignite the spark of your true self.

YOU ARE CREATIVE

4 Likes

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Brigid was seen as a powerful Queen and belonged to the ancient Celtic tribe of Gods (the Tuatha De Danann) and in the Lebor Gabála Érenn, she was identified as the daughter of Dagda (the great Father God of the Celts, known as the Chief of the Gods). In other tales, Brigid was said to be the daughter of Dubhthach (A Druid), and a Christian mother, who brought her from Ireland to the Island of Iona (also known as the Druid’s Isle).

It’s said that when Brigid was born at sunrise in the town of Faughart, she ascended into the sky along with the sun and that rays of fire and light shone forth from her head in a tower of flame that reached up to the heavens. The event of her birth was said to be so bright that the family household looked as if it were on fire. As an infant, she was fed the milk of a sacred cow from the Celtic Otherworld, so she is still often associated with cattle and milk.

Brigid: Mimosa Spirit

The Cow

• For Abundance

Brighid roamed the hills of Ireland with a white red-eared cow as her companion. This cow was famous for her ability to give limitless milk.

Where in your life would like to milk abundance? What limits are preventing this? Brighid wants you to know life’s bounty can be yours. Welcome abundance into your life. Give gratitude. Allow yourself to feel bounteous in all aspects of your life.

YOU ARE ABUNDANT

4 Likes

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Brigid was seen as a powerful Queen and belonged to the ancient Celtic tribe of Gods (the Tuatha De Danann) and in the Lebor Gabála Érenn, she was identified as the daughter of Dagda (the great Father God of the Celts, known as the Chief of the Gods). In other tales, Brigid was said to be the daughter of Dubhthach (A Druid), and a Christian mother, who brought her from Ireland to the Island of Iona (also known as the Druid’s Isle).

It’s said that when Brigid was born at sunrise in the town of Faughart, she ascended into the sky along with the sun and that rays of fire and light shone forth from her head in a tower of flame that reached up to the heavens. The event of her birth was said to be so bright that the family household looked as if it were on fire. As an infant, she was fed the milk of a sacred cow from the Celtic Otherworld, so she is still often associated with cattle and milk.
Mimosa Spirit Brigid

kent-pilcher-87MIF4vqHWg-unsplash

Ireland

• For Pilgrimage

Ireland beckons pilgrims from all over the world to her sacred sites, places of spiritual significance for over 5,000 years. Many of Brighid’s wells are pilgrimage destinations.

Brihgid asks you to consider embarking on a personal journey to a place that offers peace, inspiration and reflection. Where would you go and how you would spend your time there? Make it happen! You will rejoin the world recharged and inspired by connecting with the Divine and your own inner self.

YOU ARE A PILGRIM SEEKING TRUTH

3 Likes

Thursday, June 23, 2022

Brigid was seen as a powerful Queen and belonged to the ancient Celtic and in the Lebor Gabála Érenn, she was identified as the daughter of Dagda (the great Father God of the Celts, known as the Chief of the Gods). In other tales, Brigid was said to be the daughter of Dubhthach (A Druid), and a Christian mother, who brought her from Ireland to the Island of Iona (also known as the Druid’s Isle).

Brigid - Mimosa Spirit

Brighid’s Cross

• For Protection

In Ireland, Brighid’s crosses are woven from spring reeds on Brighid’s Day, February 1. These crosses are hung above doorways to invoke Brighid’s protection over home, hearth and household.

Call upon Brighid today and ask for her protection over an aspect of your domestic life: your family and pets, the hearth or heart center of your home, the physical space and energies that reside there. Allow yourself to feel her blessing and protection.

YOU ARE PROTECTED

4 Likes

Friday, June 24, 2022

Mimosa Spirit - Brigit

Goddess-Brighid
Image Credit

The Forge

• For Transformation

Brighid stands at the fire of the ancient forge, creating magic with the transformation of metals, from one form to another.

Visualize yourself entering Brighid’s forge. In your hands, you carry what needs to be altered in your life. With blessing, you hand it to her and surrender. She asks what it will be changed into as she lovingly helps you begin to reshape it. Allow transformation to occur. Embrace the magic of change.

YOU ARE TRANSFORMED

4 Likes

Saturday, June 25, 2022

It’s said that when Brigid was born at sunrise in the town of Faughart, she ascended into the sky along with the sun and that rays of fire and light shone forth from her head in a tower of flame that reached up to the heavens. The event of her birth was said to be so bright that the family household looked as if it were on fire. As an infant, she was fed the milk of a sacred cow from the Celtic Otherworld, so she is still often associated with cattle and milk. Mimosa Spirit - Brigit

Fox

• For Wildness

Brighid communes with both the flora and fauna of nature. She shares a special affinity with the fox, a creature representing the mystique of the wildwood.

Brighid recognizes that you need to connect with the wild. Spend time visualizing your favorite wild place. Visit this place in your mind, engaging all of your senses. Embrace this wildness within your being and allow this primal aspect of yourself to be unencumbered and free.

YOU ARE WILD

4 Likes

Brighid is the Celtic triple Goddess of healing, poetry, and smithcraft, she has been described as the Celtic version of the ancient Great Mother Goddess and she goes by many names; Bride, Bridie, Brighid, Brigit, Brigantia, Britannia, and Ffraid, to name but a few. Her main festival day is February 1st, or Imbolc, when she traditionally transforms from her winter crone form, the Cailleach, back into the Spring maiden, and her footsteps bring green back to the slumbering earth.

Both Brighid and Artemis were originally worshipped as the ancient Great Goddess of earlier times, and they are both seen as a triple Goddess comprising maiden, mother, and crone. The Goddess scholar Monica Sjoo notes that Artemis was the maiden huntress of the moon in Greek culture, but also worshipped as the ‘Mother of all’ at the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus and as Hecate, the dark Goddess. Similarly, Brighid has her aspects of Spring maiden at Imbolc, nourishing mother at harvest, and dark winter Cailleach.

Midwifery and healing are core areas for both Brighid and Artemis. Women in the pain of childbirth would call upon one of these deities to help and protect them. In the Greek stories, Artemis was born just before her twin brother Apollo and acted as his midwife. The Romans taught that Diana/Artemis was ‘born of her mother without pain’ and went on to teach women the techniques of painless childbirth. She was a midwife despite her maiden status. In Ireland, the association of Brighid with midwifery was so strong that when the Christians adopted her as a saint, they wrote her into the biblical story as the midwife of Christ (problems of time and distance being immaterial to a good story). Both goddesses are said to take an interest in the safety and protection of newborn creatures, human and animal.

The association of both these goddesses with snakes may be an extension of their status as goddesses of healing, Artemis is often depicted with snake bracelets, and Brighid’s snake is said to come out of its hole at Imbolc – another symbol of regeneration and renewal.

In Rome, Diana/Artemis was also known as the protectress of slaves, outlaws, and thieves, just as Brighid was in Ireland. And Sjoo notes that the Romans celebrated Diana’s festival “on the same festival day as the Irish triple goddess Brigid” though she puts this date in mid-August.

They are both described as wielding a bow with a quiver of arrows – Artemis of course being the wild huntress, mistress of arrows, and Brighid as firing her arrows of inspiration into the heart of poets. The name Brigit itself means ‘fiery arrow’ or ‘Bright one’ and the Greek Artemis was also called Phoebe (‘bright one’) or ‘bearer of light’.

Brighid A Celtic Artemis - Earth Spirals

Monastery

• For Balance

St. Brighid founded a dual monastery in Kildare, Ireland for both nuns & monks. Even though men and women lived within the same area they were separated for worship, as well as other mundane activities.

Brighid senses you are struggling with a feeling of separation in your own life. Consider what you need to do to balance your life and connect more deeply. What action can you take today to bring yourself closer to the feeling of harmony within yourself, with the Earth and with the Divine?

YOU ARE HARMONY

5 Likes