The incredible edible Garlic

Warning, any mistakes or misrepresentation are my fault, please don’t take offense of my ignorance

The incredible edible Garlic

Garlic is a species of bulbous flowering plant in the onion genus Allium. Its close relatives include the onion, shallot, leek, chive, Welsh onion and Chinese onion. Although not historically documented as its cousin the onion, it has certainly carved its own niche.
Garlic has been cultivated for thousands of years, It was found in King Tuts tomb. Well-preserved!
Garlic was placed by the ancient Greeks on the piles of stones at crossroads, as a supper for * Hecate* Hecate - Wikipedia) (Theophrastus, Characters, The Superstitious Man ).
Garlic has been used for traditional medicine in diverse cultures such as in Egypt, Japan, China, Rome, and Greece. In his Natural History , Pliny gave
a list of condition in which garlic was considered beneficial ( N.H. xx. 23). Galen, writing in the second century, eulogized garlic as the “rustic’s theriac” (cure-all) (see F. Adams’ Paulus Aegineta , p.99). Avicenna, in The Canon of Medicine (1025), recommended garlic for the treatment of arthritis, snake and insect bites, parasites chronic cough, and as a antibiotic.[ medical citation needed ] Alexander Neckam, a writer of the 12th century (see Wright’s edition of his works, p. 473, 1863), discussed it as a palliative for the heat of the sun in field labor. In the 17th century, Thomas Sydenham valued it as an application in confluent smallpox, and William Cullen’s Materia Medica of 1789 found some cured by it alone.

Spiritual and religious uses

Garlic is present in the folklore of many cultures. In Europe, many cultures have used garlic for protection or white magic, perhaps owing to its reputation in folk medicine. (Garlic - Wikipedia) Central European folk beliefs considered garlic a powerful ward against demons, werewolves, and vampires. To ward off vampires, garlic could be worn, hung in windows, or rubbed on chimneys and keyholes.
In the foundation myth of the ancient Korean kingdom of Gojoseon, eating nothing but 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of Korean mugwort for 100 days let a bear be transformed into a woman.
In celebration of Nowruz (Persian calendar New Year), garlic is one of the essential items in a Haft-sin (“seven things beginning with ‘S’”) table, a traditional New Year’s display: the name for garlic in Persian is سیر ( seer ), which begins with “س” ( sin , pronounced “seen”) the Perso-Arabic letter corresponding to “S”.
In Islam, it is recommended not to eat raw garlic prior to going to the mosque. This is based on several hadith.
And as we all know, Garlic is widely used around the world for its pungent flavor as a seasoning or condiment.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6 Likes

I love garlic. Just roasting a clove of garlic in the oven can make the house smell lovely! I may do that soon. Roasted garlic is so yummy!

4 Likes

Mmmm mmm there’s something about the smell of roasted garlic that takes a meal to the next level :drooling_face: And who doesn’t love fresh toasty garlic bread? :baguette_bread: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Definitely one of my favorite foods for magick, medicine, and cooking- I feel like my kitchen isn’t complete without garlic in it! :garlic:

Thanks for sharing, @Garnet! :heart:

4 Likes

Oh yeah it is!!!

3 Likes