The top astronomical events to look forward to in 2021, from ‘supermoons’ to eclipses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/10/top-astronomy-events-this-year/

8 Likes

thank you for this @cat! I really appreciate it!

5 Likes

“On March 9 and 10, an extra-special “quadruple conjunction” will leave a group of planets splayed across the night sky. Look to the southeast around a half-hour before sunrise, and you’ll see Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter in a perfect line from bottom left to top right. All three will be visible with the naked eye in the predawn sky, with Jupiter being the brightest in the middle. The crescent moon will add to the trio, lurking below and to the right.”

That sounds incredible. I’ve never seen something like that. Thanks for sharing, Cat!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing! @cat

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the celestial excitement coming in 2021, @cat! :milky_way::star_struck:

Anyone with an interest in upcoming heavenly events may also want to see your other helpful post too, so I’ll attach a link here:

And for those of us making their calendar for the new year, you may want to check out this thread as well:

It really looks like 2021 is going to be full of exciting happenings! :full_moon::sun_with_face:

Thanks again for sharing, Cat! :heart:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria, you’re very welcome.

3 Likes

@Susurrus, you’re welcome.

4 Likes

I’m so excited too!

2 Likes

I love sharing the wonderful news that will benefit our group here on Spells8. And thank you for providing us the helpful links. Now, I can keep up with the special events on the wonderful calendar. Thank you all for helping spread the great news that only happens 88 years or so. Thank you all!

5 Likes

It’s a big help to have the info, and I love learning about the upcoming events. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge, @cat! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers to a year with exciting astronomy! :milky_way::star_struck:

4 Likes

I have never been one to pay much attention to the movement of the planets. Loved astronomy as a kid and my Dad was great about teaching us the constellations, but beyond that…not much. I watched a great documentary around Christmas about the Christmas Star. It blew my mind ! I was wondering if we are having an unusual number of rare occurrences or if these blue moons lining up with sabbat and planet conjunctions are just routine… This all sounds pretty spectacular to me. Am I just naive?

5 Likes

I think it’s both! They are at the same time routine when you look at the vast scale of the universe, but they look like mind-blowing coincidences when you see them from our perspective.

Did you know that it is by pure coincidence that we can experience total solar eclipses? We are the only known planet where our star (the Sun) can be completely covered during an eclipse. That is because, seen from our point of view, the Sun and Moon look the same size and one can cover the other entirely. It is speculated that at some point in the future they won’t occur on Earth either.

5 Likes

I had no idea- that’s amazing! :star_struck: I’m with @Berta here- the celestial news always amazes me with how spectacular and unique the events are. It is really is a lucky chance to be a part of this place in the universe! :pray::milky_way:

4 Likes

This moon information is from the past, but no fear! Feel free to explore the moon-magick tag to find current moon information and resources :crescent_moon: :sparkles: