Time Management - A Necessary Skill

How often do you find yourself saying that you wish there were more hours in a day? Or that you wish you had more time? Or that you could not find the time to finish - or start - a project you wanted to work on? Believe it or not, 24 hours a day is usually plenty of time to get things done, we just get distracted or overwhelmed and feel like we have run out of time. Learning how to manage your time will not only make your work-life balance easier, it will also help to manage the rituals, spells, and offerings you want - or need - to do regularly.

Speaking from personal experience, I have had to learn how to do this extremely well. And I still get it wrong from time to time. I work from home, so I am in charge of creating my schedule. I do freelance writing. I run a website with a podcast and free content. I have a Patreon. I have a YouTube channel. And I have home life things to take care of, too, like dinners, cleaning, and taking care of my daughter. Before I started working from home, I was not a very organized person and my time management was not that great. I had a typical day job that was in charge of my time for nine hours of the day, so I did not have to worry about that. Developing a plan for the day/week/month helps me to stay focused on the things I need to do, the things I want to do, and the things my Gods require of me. So, I have some tips for anyone else that may struggle with this, too.

Develop a routine

I like to start my mornings by making a list of everything that needs to be done that day. Then I list the things that I want to get done that day. Nothing is too big or too small to write on my list. Writing everything out helps me visualize the things that need to be done and gives me a tangible goal to work toward. If necessary, I make more than one list. Are there things that you do every day? Are there things you do weekly? Writing them down - and then crossing them off - help me feel accomplished and see what I have done when I feel like I have done nothing.

Prioritize

If you know that you have company coming over and the house has to be clean, you want to prioritize that over something small, right? The same goes for every other task on your to-do list. If it helps, write things out in the order that they need to be done - from most important to least important to ones that might be able to wait until the next day. This will help you keep things straight and not forget the important items.

Do not procrastinate

Having everything written out in front of you should help you create a gameplan for getting everything done. Now, do not let yourself down by procrastinating or getting distracted by electronics or social media. Taking a few breaks is fine, but do not let that become the norm or you will never get anything done.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. - William James

Practice self-discipline

Did you know that the average adult spends 135 minutes per day on social media alone? We get distracted by scrolling through Twitter or watching videos on YouTube, and this is not conducive to a productive day. If this is what you are used to, it is going to take some self-discipline to quit the habit. Leave your phone or computer alone and get your things done. If it helps, leave your electronics in a completely separate room from the one you are working in. If you have to have your phone with you, set it to Do Not Disturb or silent. Keep your to-do list with you and cross the things off that you have completed.

Do not forget your Gods

When making the list of things that you need to do for the day, do not forget where your Gods or your religion fall within those 24 hours. Yes, sometimes life gets in the way and we need to push off a ritual for a day or two. However, if you are always pushing off your rituals or forgetting your offerings, your Gods are not going to be very happy with you. Prioritize your religious practices as well. They are just as important as remembering to pay your rent.

It takes practice

You are going to forget things. That is just the nature of living in the modern age with a distraction at every corner. Our lives are extremely busy, and settling down to quiet the hustle and bustle of the every-day takes hard work and concentration. Most of all? It takes practice. If this is something that you have struggled with, take the time to do this every day. If that means waking up an extra 10 minutes earlier, then do that. And? Give yourself a break if you mess up. After all, you are only human.

Do you have trouble with time management? If you could do better at one thing, what would it be?

Sources and Further Reading
Broadband Search - Research on Social Media
Psychology Today - Time Management
Making Time for Magic
Round the Cauldron Podcast - Take Time to Make Time

2 Likes

This is great advice! Making a list is really one of the only things that helps me stop procrastinating.

I think being able to see everything that needs to be done at one time, and choosing where to start, helps a lot. It can be paralyzing when there are so many things to do!

But I discovered that starting with the smallest task helps me gain momentum when I’m stuck. Maybe because of that feeling of success when crossing out a thing of the list.

1 Like

Definitely! And I’ve found that, for myself, if I have a big task to do it is helpful to break the BIG SCARY THING down into smaller more manageable tasks. Then it isn’t as overwhelming!

I definitely need to prioritize better. Ive always been a procrastinator :persevere: :sweat_smile:

1 Like