šŸŽ“ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - A Touch of Tarot

Warm greetings!

Congrats once again to all of the Challenge Champions joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - The Challenger :trophy:

With that exciting milestone behind us, itā€™s time to turn to the next page, er, card :wink: .

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

:flower_playing_cards: :sparkles: Tarot :black_joker: :crystal_ball:

Tarot cards have been around for centuries, delighting readers with their insights into the unknown. As one of the most popular methods of divination around the world, it is likely that those with an interest in the magickal arts will find themselves dealing with tarot at one point or another.

This week, the challenge is all about working with tarot :flower_playing_cards:

Welcome to Tarot!

If youā€™re new to working with the symbolic cards, you might consider learning some background knowledge to help you feel prepared before you begin. Here are few tarot warm-up suggestions:

Whole-Tarot-Online-Video-Course

WAIT! What if I donā€™t have tarot cards?

No deck? No worries! There are several apps and websites where you can read tarot digitally.

ā†’ Investigate tarot app suggestions in Good Witchy Apps

ā†’ Use an online Tarot Card Generator

Or you can print out your own tarot cards:

Printable-Tarot-Cards-Spells8-400x270

It is even possible to use a regular deck of playing cards to read tarot!

ā†’ Fortune Telling with Regular Cards

Looking for Your First Tarot Deck? check out Tarot Reviews in the Recommendations Category of the forum. Hear what your fellow coven members have to say about the many wonderful decks out there!

Got your cards or tarot app on hand? Are you ready?

Itā€™sā€¦ CHALLENGE TIME! :bellhop_bell:

PART 1 : A Touch of Tarot :flower_playing_cards:

There are so many wonderful ways to use tarot in your magickal practice! Here are just a few suggestions of things you might do for the challenge this week:

:woman_standing: Trying a Simple Tarot Reading

As you get started and are developing your budding tarot skills, it is wise to keep it simple. Practice learning how to read the cards for yourself in a self-reading.

ā†’ Tarot: A Quick and Easy Guide to Self-Readings

Keep it simple with spreads that use just one or a few cards at a time:

Introductory Tarot Spread: Daily 3-Card Reading
Tarot-Past-Present-Future-Spread-360x240

You can also use these Printable Tarot Spreads to help you gain confidence with beginner spreads:

Tarot-Spreads-Printables-for-Beginners

:two_women_holding_hands: Reading For Someone Else

If youā€™re more confident with your skills and have never tried it before, why not try reading tarot for someone else? :handshake:

While reading for ourselves is a wonderful practice, internal bias and our own desires can be more prevalent in self-readings and can interfere with our interpretations.

Reading for others takes you outside of your own mind and can help to develop your skills in a new and creative way!

Interest in tarot is prevalent in pop culture and stretches far beyond the magical community. While tarot may not be for everyone, if you ask someone close to you, you may be surprised to find how many people are curious about a tarot reading- whether they believe in the magickal arts or otherwise!

:open_hands: Do a More Complex Spread

If youā€™ve built up the basic skills and are ready for more complexity in your tarot practice, feel free to try a more complex spread.

These spreads have many cards and dig into various issues surrounding a question, problem, or inquiry.

Your Personal Horoscope- A Tarot Spread
f870dd48bdca17d7e8f49eb3f7da047d14c40053_2_748x562

7 Card Week Ahead Spread
7-Day-Weekly-Tarot-Spread-360x240

10 Card Celtic Cross Spread
Celtic-Cross-Tarot-Positions-360x240

Looking for more? Find additional Tarot Spreads here!

:open_book: Start a Tarot Journal

Like keeping a Grimoire, Book of Mirrors, Book of Shadows, or Dream Journal- there is a lot to be gained in keeping a referenceable log of your tarot readings.

ā†’ Making a Tarot Journal

:raised_hands: ā€¦ And More!

There are so many ways to use and explore tarot! From divining the future to using the cards as inspiration for works of art :art:

Here are a few more resources for learning about tarot:

And feel free to be creative with how you approach this challenge! :grin:

PART 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

All witches are welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a shout-out, you have to share your experience with the forum.

Please share:

1. Your experience working with tarot

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums.

If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, July 13th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)
( 2021-07-13T05:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to a moderator.

For those new to challenges, know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Tarot reveals the future and whatā€™s in the heart, to learn divination itā€™s a great way to start!

Happy tarot readings and blessed be :flower_playing_cards: :heart:

18 Likes

Fabulous. I was thinking of doing something Tarot related last week but glad I held off!

Iā€™ve been meaning to dig into the Spells8 Tarot lessons and work more with my new deck of cards so this is perfect :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Ooh, this oughta be interesting! Which deck do I use??:relaxed:

10 Likes

Yay!! Iā€™ve been wanting to dive deeper into tarot so this will be perfect. Now to decide which deck. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

12 Likes

This is perfect for me! Just this morning I pulled out my tarot cards & did a 4 card spread. While I was looking through the book I saw a recommended spread with more cards. I have never done one over 4 cards. I was thinking that I would like to try it. Iā€™m going to use my newer deck, I am in love with it right now. I think I will pull an oracle card when I do the larger reading too. Thank you so much for this one! I love learning more about working with Tarot!

10 Likes

Now this is a challenge right up my alley!

10 Likes

Last night I was reading my Green Witch Tarot for a person, nice to see this post. Iā€™m going to jump to this wagon too. Used; yes in past tense, because of the time without making my meditations using the cards for it, even on rituals.

9 Likes

Nice! Iā€™ll have to take out my cat tarot deck and see what new spread I can try. :cat:

EDIT: I think Iā€™ll try this one. Looks like it would be a great way to learn a bit more about my own fur baby. :heart_eyes_cat:

Image From Pinterest

10 Likes

Iā€™ve made a start on this challenge tonight by beginning the ā€˜Whole Tarotā€™ Video Course. Iā€™ve completed the first 5 lessons, as well as the section on the Major Arcana.

Iā€™ve also added a Divination section to my Book of Shadows, which Iā€™ve been meaning to do for a while. So far Iā€™ve just included the Spells8 printable PDFs for the various spreads, but Iā€™m planning to add some basic information about the cards too (then in due course other Divination methods). Thereā€™s quite a handy little summary book with Tattoo Tarot deck which I might use as the basis for that, along with information in the course. Itā€™s also given me a chance to organise my current Book of Shadows. Itā€™s split between 3 A5 binders and Iā€™m so glad Iā€™ve done it that way as I can move sections from one binder to another easily!

I did notice one funny thing in going through the course whilst looking at the cards in my deck, the Major Arcana cards are all the same as the Rider-Waite deck, except Justice and Strength have been reversed, so that Justice is VIII rather than XI, and Strength XI rather than VIII. Iā€™m wondering if there was a reason for that, or Iā€™m supposed to take it as a sign of some kind. Something to ponderā€¦

9 Likes

Oooh my first challenge!!! And I looove tarot!!!

Now, how do I decide on which deck to useā€¦:thinking:

10 Likes

Use the one that calls you, youā€™ll feel it.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve got a meeting with my department head tomorrow, so I decided to do a one card reading to see if I could get an idea of how it will go.

I shuffled the deck and the card I picked was the six of wands, which seems to me to be a very good omen.

My interpretation guided by the tarot course here and my Tattoo Tarot Journal is that it signifies success, recognition of efforts, victory and admiration. I need to believe in myself and recognise my contributions, and show confidence.

Just reading the interpretation has given me more confidence to walk into the meeting with my head held high and to be forthright and honest in my discussions.

9 Likes

For @christina4, @Amaris_Bane, @Ember_Lee, and anyone who is struggling to choose which deck to use- @janelle shared an amazing Multi-Deck 2021 Year Tarot Spread that combines several decks in one elaborate reading. You donā€™t have to choose which deck to use if you use a spread that uses them all! :laughing: :+1:

Youā€™re very welcome, @Susurrus! I hope you enjoy your new deck and continue to have wonderful tarot readings! :flower_playing_cards:

Thatā€™s such a cute spread, @Kasandra- and perfect to use with your cat tarot deck! :cat:

Congrats on your tarot studies and the confidence-boosting reading, @IrisW! :clap: Thatā€™s interesting that the numbers are switched around in the Tattoo Tarot :thinking: Maybe thereā€™s some kind of explanation in the guidebook? Youā€™ve got me curious!

11 Likes

For this challenge, I decided to use a deck that I think Iā€™ve only used once. Itā€™s complicated to explain the entire thing so Iā€™ll make it quick and easy!!
I have this layout that comes with the deck:

Sorry itā€™s sideways :joy:
The first box is my personal influence.
The second is outside influences.
The third is things to consider.

I shuffled the deck and I drew:
March, the Ash Moon.
Keyword- growth
Crystal- green aventurine
Symbols- Ash leaf, magic, intuition, dreams.

July, the Buck Moon
Keyword- leadership
Crystal- red garnet
Symbols- stag, green beans, storm clouds, lightning

November, the Beaver Moon
Keyword- ingenuity
Crystal- Petrified Wood
Symbols- Beaver, snowflakes, icicles

What I interpreted from the cards was with the Ash Moon is Iā€™m growing internally due to others wrongful leadership, from the Buck Moon. And with the Beaver Moon, I understood that like snowflakes, everyone is unique. Maybe donā€™t take for granted what you have today because it could easily be gone tomorrow!!

Thank you for reading my post! I know itā€™s probably hard to understand, but youā€™ve got to watch a video that my teacher makes to teach the usage of the cards. Oh by the way, my teacher, Ashley Leavy makes this deck, Crystal Moon Mystic Oracle.

11 Likes

Tarot, the magical item that started all. Since I was a kid, Iā€™ve been fascinated about this magical cards. I used to watch a show Sakura Card Captor and I feel in love with the concept of having magical cards that could predict the future. I recreate some of them, but my grandmother found them and decide to throw them away. Almost ten years ago, my father took me to see a friend of him and she read me the tarot cards. She said things that caught my attention and I remember she told me that I was destined for great, but I needed to find myself first. At first I didnā€™t believe her, but I always felt the connection to the cards. On December 2019, I stumbled with a tarot reading in Youtube from the Tarot Priest. I felt that they were calling to me; her message was so personal even though was a collective message. After that I wanted to know more, and every reading I encounter that month was to the point that I decided to try for myself. I bought my first Tarot Cards, the Mystical Manga Tarot and I began my journey to Tarot reading. I have read tarot for several people now, and I finally saw the importance of this wonderful tool. I see tarot as an Extension of the human self rather than a divination tool. I feel that my readings are more about self discovery than predicting if you are going to win the lotto. It is uncertain if my readings have made a huge impact on people, but I feel that I have at some level. Nowadays, I am working on my Tarot Reading Certification, so I can open my own tarot reading business in the future. Tarot change my life and I feel connected to it ever since.

10 Likes

I have only been using the Tarot for about or 2 ā€˜ and Iā€™ve never connected to a deck like this one. Every time I really put thought into a question and ask, it seems to know .
This time Iā€™ve never felt more heard and more connected to everything.
This time I was asking what I should do concerning my job ā€œI had just been offered a very good promotion at a different store ā€˜ a very busy one and our store is really suffering with no employees like the rest of the worldā€ and I was really looking forward to a change in department and the opportunity to advance moreā€
And these spreads (I always do 2)
first the Father and 2nd for the mother
(If the topic is life or movement/journey type)

The answer I got was that I can do anything in the world if I put my mind, body & soul in it. I can live the life Iā€™m supposed to. It was an amazing experience. Iā€™m a Rising Scorpio and Sun Sagittarius so I had to keep the Temperance card and Start with it in the second spread. I knew it was the Mother calling me into my own . Thatā€™s My Spirit Card!

This was my first session where I couldnā€™t believe how the cards were talking to me.
(I may have criedā€™ lol)
I truly believe that the gods and goddesses came together to tell me that I could have the world if I really want it ā€˜ & I will succeed and take every day to show how much I can do.

10 Likes

Iā€™d also love to try the runes as tarot ā€˜ as @Liisa posted not too long agoā€™ such a good way to try a new thing get out of my comfort zone. I may pull a spread and then pull a rune to put on top the card and see what they both have to sayā€™ :relaxed:

8 Likes

Those oracle cards are gorgeous, @Christina4! :heart_eyes: Looks like I will need to check out the Crystal Moon Mystic Oracle. Really stunning- and it looks like the cards had some positive and inspiring messages for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like tarot cards were calling to you for a long time, @Fabian- Iā€™m glad you took the leap and answered them! It sounds like you are studying hard and enjoying your journey with tarot- good for you :blush: May your cards continue to guide you, and Iā€™m wishing you all the best with both your Reading Certification and future tarot business! :pray:

I agree there is something sentient about each deck, @Steph- and it sounds like you have really connected deeply with yours! Iā€™m glad your cards help to inspire you with uplifting messages- it sounds to me like they are cheering you on and want you to succeed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Beautifully done!

10 Likes

:star_struck: I am super stoked we all have a connection to the tarot and we all have a story about how we came to the tarot! I love hearing your stories and what made you want to dive in intuitively. For me I found the tarot in a astrology book and kept digging because I knew there was more. I am a seeker of knowledge! I am very glad that I discovered the tarot it has changed my life. Allowing me to use my intuition.

I really like the 22 Major Arcana cards they are my favorite. Also the 56 lesser Arcana cards!
Fire/ Rods
Water/ Cups
Air/ Swords
Earth/ Pentacles

Page/Child, Student
Knights/ 35yrs and older
Queen/ Nurturing women
Kings/ Authority

Reversals
Blockage
Problematic
Positive/ Negative side
Challenging position
Highlight a challenging or difficult position
Mirror- Opposite
Some donā€™t like to use the reversals! How has your experience been using reversals?
Jeannie
Blessed Be

11 Likes

Before I did my reading, I did a purple candle meditation. Towards the end, the area between my eyebrows was warm and tingly. I was going to invoke Veaug for assistance with the reading, but I had this feeling that someone was trying to tell me, ā€œthereā€™s no need to invoke me-Iā€™m already here and ready to assist you.ā€ :dragon:
Something I was really not expecting.:flushed:

For the Pet Spread Tarot, I drew:
the Seven of Wands Reversed (your connection to your pet)
the Queen of Swords Reversed (why you were brought together)
the Ten of Pentacles (what your pet loves)
the Eight of Pentacles (what your pet fears)
the Three of Pentacles (how to help your pet)
and the Three of Cups (a message from your pet)

According to the booklet, the Seven of Wands Revered hints of a stubborn nature and advises that itā€™s sometimes best to cut your loses. As a Virgo, I can definitely be stubborn, especially when it comes to solving a problem or completing a task/achieving a goal. My kitty can be stubborn too, especially when she wants something to eat. :rofl:

The Queen of Swords Reversed hints that you have become emotionally withdrawn and unreceptive to love. When I went to adopt a cat, my fur baby was a bit aloof and not very affectionate, but the people there said that once she gets to know you, she will open up to you. Still, I wanted to adopt her, and just like they said, she became a lovey dove-y companion.

The Ten of Pentacles hints that youā€™ve found rewards and fulfillment through your relationships with others. That tells me that what my kitty loves is that Iā€™ve given her a home with plenty of food, clean water, toys, a warm bed, and a clean litter box. :heart:

The Eight of Pentacles hints that youā€™ve been rewarded greatly, but donā€™t get too cocky with the strategies youā€™ve used; sometimes, youā€™ll
have to rethink them.
Umm, I guess my kitty is afraid that her strategy of showing me her tummy and brushing against my leg will eventually not convince me to give her treats or her Fancy Feast (her favorite dish) at dinner? :rofl:

The Three of Pentacles encourages us to broaden our knowledge, be an active listener, and work with others to achieve big results.
Makes sense.
Knowing your fur baby, looking for signs when they arenā€™t well, and building a trusting relationship with your vet will ensure theyā€™ll live a long, happy life.

And finally, the Three of Cups encourages indulgence. A message I would expect from my kitty! :laughing:

9 Likes