:witch_broom: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Blessed Besoms

Thank you, so does my step daughter, she is always trying to take it to her room.

14 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: not sure I am going to be able to contribute to this one. Besoms and brooms aren’t part of my practice. I look forward to reading everyone’s entries though.

Blessed be

Alan

15 Likes

Oh perfect time, I just bought a new broom to put over my door.
Will make some protective spray and put it up later today. Me thinks my upstairs neighbor wont appreciate me hammering nails into the walls at 2:30 am :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

Well I have a nice broom on the wall over my altar that I use for cleansing. But to be honest, this challenge makes me want to credit my favorite broom store in the world; and take a drive north!

On Granville Island in Vancouver, BC. They have the most incredible broom shop. My working broom for mundane use came from here; it is a shaker flat broom. I use it all the time. And I like it more than my Magickal broom. I even had a customs certificate drawn up by the shop to cross the border.

When I go back, I want them to make me a Magickal broom. I fancy the Manzanita Round Floor Broom.

They have a great folklore page on their website:

I love the shop, the folklore and the uniquely crafted brooms they make.

18 Likes

challenge entry
I decided as i couldnt make a big version due to lack of supplies i was going to for this challenge make a craft.
Using a straw as the base, wool, beads and crystal beads with tape and bead string this is what i came up with using what i had on hand.

And i put it above my altar on this stand thing thats been not doing anything i finally have a use as it seemed to hold my new little besom there quite nicely above my altar space

19 Likes

Omg i just realised i had a cat figurine on altar as well lol and its holding a besom or broom

22 Likes

Challenge Entry
I learned a craft in day camp one year, and loved it. Ever since, whenever there has been a storm, I go out, looking for a white or scotch pine to see if the storm brought down a limb. I never harvest off a tree in respect for the tree!

I pull the long needles off the branch and gather a large handful. Then I arrange them around a found stick.

The hair bands I use often come with a co!or which doesn’t match what I wear, so I use one of those instead of throwing them away. They hold the broom together nicely, strong enough for combing hair or dusting shoulders.

When I use such a besom, I stick my head with the bristles with the intent of clearing my thoughts of negativity. I may also brush cares and chips off my shoulders.

This one doesn’t have a stick because of my move a year ago. It still works well, though I usually like to make a new one each year, weather permitting.

When I take it apart, the pine needles make good incense.

Long ago, I found a postcard of how people once used brooms to alert visitors to their whereabouts and activities. This is the typed version of a page in a previous post for members only:

https://forum.spells8.com/t/challenge-entry-correspondences/43045

If the bristles are facing up near the front door, the occupant is out, visiting; bristles down means the occupant is home. If the broom is lying down on the ground, the occupant is busy- call again later. If the bristles are up, hung over a window, it is an invitation to come in and wait. If the broom is crossing the door diagonally, it means do not enter.

21 Likes

I love all of these! That’s such a wonderful close community kind of thing. :black_heart:

While distance and security these days makes it impossible, we keep a pretty “open door.” The best we can achieve is “buzz the thing downstairs to be let in” for friends and family who randomly drop by.

15 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY
I made my protection water last night and performed the ritual on my front door and my patio door as some people do use it as an entry. :blush:
Here are my pictures of my protective besoms.

Oh that is adorable do happen to remember where you got it? I would love one. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::blush::blush::blush: @Phoenix_Fire

Oh I ADORE the Black Cat Hiss bottle. Think if I pull my cats tail I can catch it in a bottle? Jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl::rofl::rofl: @wendy

Very creative indeed, never thought of making one with wool. :blush::blush::yum:
@Phoenix_Fire

17 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity, even if they aren’t a part of your practice, it doesn’t exclude you from participating at all :smiling_face:

Even if you looked into the history, uses, types… found out something about them… that could also be an entry.

The challenges are very open on how you approach them. So you wouldn’t have to make, own, or use them in your practice for the entry to be included :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ve loved seeing everyone’s entries & the pictures &/or links about the besoms & brooms! One of my favorite things about the challenges :blush:

17 Likes

The cat figure with broom was from a little local shop called Chantique. They gave crystals n ornaments incence, candkes, tarot n oracle decks and figurines etc. Its a cool lil shop love the energy feel going in there, dont get to often but when i do. :grin:

15 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Besoms aren’t my thing. I have a broomstick at the front door in the porch to sweep away anything bad from the house, as part of my home warding system (if a bad spirit comes along, I can bop him on the head with it, :joy:, just kidding, I’d probably invite him in for tea and cake and see if we could work something out :sparkling_heart:)

I do have a proper besom inside my hallway, propped up by the front door. I did think about hanging it over the door, as that would probably be better, but no! That’s because my home attracts spiders :spider::spider::spider::spider:, lots and lots and lots of them, and they’re my spirit animal (their choice, not mine :flushed:).

My besom is their favourite house so when I try to use it, a big black hairy spider jumps out and protests. :spider:

As a result of this continuel battle between whom the besom actually belongs to, I’ve surrendered to the spiders (at the end of the day, I’m more scared of them, than they are of me, of this I’m sure). :rofl:

So I have one besom, in the corner of the hall by the front door, where the spiders live. :sparkling_heart:

:spider::sparkling_heart:

16 Likes

@tracyS
THAT would be my reaction too. :joy: :joy: :joy:
Luckily mine is the Raven :raven: :smile:

@Phoenix_Fire
So kewl, I will have to look for one similar to it. I adore anything that has black witchy kitty’s. :blush:

12 Likes

I suppose you wouldn’t have an insect problem ever, then? Because the spiders would eat them all. :joy:

12 Likes

I had long wanted to make one! I still do not know how I will decorate it though. Maybe a bedazzled one to match my witchy outfits?

13 Likes

I hope I can get this one in on time. I have so many for the catch up challenges.

Congrats to all for last week’s challenges and shout outs, birthdays, staff, LOL etc…

Blessed Be
Medea.

:broom: :witch_hat:

13 Likes

Weekly Challenge Entry
When I first began my witchy journey, I went to a local thrift shop to look for some candle holders. I found some beautiful ones and also found a shadow box that must have belonged to a witch because it has the four elements in it. I walked around the entire store, but there was an area in the front that kept calling me and I kept going back to it knowing that there was something there that I was missing. The 3rd time I went back I saw it. A beautiful handmade besom propped up against a shelf. I don’t know how I missed it the first few times. It still had the tag on it from the maker and originally it was only $16.00, so I know it must be really old. The handle is made from a crepe myrtle tree. When I left the thrift store, I was a very happy witch! I have a collection of besoms now.

If you want a besom, but aren’t very crafty (like me) you can buy a cinnamon broom and decorate it. They are cheap and in stores this time of year. They also smell wonderful!

14 Likes

So I’m making me besom today! It’s definitely going to be non-traditional!

11 Likes

Awesome @Sivonnah! I’m looking forward to seeing it!

10 Likes

Challenge Entry - Blessed Besoms

I still may try to make my own mini besom from materials I find at work tomorrow but since I can’t be sure that I’ll find what I need, I did realize that I actually have a mini-mini besom.

I chose to cleanse and bless my little guy for this challenge.

12 Likes