⭕ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Circles in Magick

My sweet Dragonette I have but one word.
excellent!
Garnet

10 Likes

I love the chant you use for creating your circle! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It rhymes and flows really well. Plus it brings in some beautiful imagery to really get the mind focused on what’s happening!

Oh wonderful! I can’t wait to see it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love this! :fire: It’s funny, as you said, that once you started doing it this way you hardly ever forgot anything :clap: this is exactly what you needed then, in my opinion!

12 Likes

From my understanding, some prefer the clockwise method you mentioned - turning right to left.
However, others (an apparently older belief) is to turn counter-clockwise, left to right. This was not to be sinister (sinistra = left in Latin) or a devotee of the left-hand path, although it can be used for that. But instead it was based on being in-line with Earth’s revolution on its axis. The Earth turns counter-clockwise, which is why the Sun ‘rises’ in the East.

Again, for me, the importance lies in the intention

12 Likes
  • Challenge Entry - Circles

Circles are used in my craft routinely. I invoke the Guardians of the Four Corners, but have additional entities whose characteristics invoke those corners as well.
I use my wand to create them, bathe my essential oils in them, and my candles.

I also have a tendency to use circles in my Chaote sigils along with Runic symbols.

Knots, as in knot-making magic, is also the creation of a few interspersed circles, so that’s included.

15 Likes

Oh my gosh this so you he’s my soul Haha forgetting things outside your circle :upside_down_face: honestly the worst .

11 Likes

Oh I feel this… :laughing:
My solution was making the circle the size of the room I’m in, works as long as I don’t need anything outside of it… :joy:

13 Likes

Challenge entry:
So I actually rarely cast a circle because I’m still kinda new but funny story the one time I did cast a circle I forgot to close it :joy: but I want to try and cast circles more. But I have been using circles while making sigils

And I visualize that I’m standing in a white circle when I’m doing my tarot card readings.
While doing my dragon meditations I also visualize a white circle around me, and when my dragon sends her energy to me it’s always green circles. I’m gonna try and be better a casting circles and using them more.

14 Likes

I’m so looking forward to seeing your outdoor ritual space!

10 Likes

Nightly meditation card, what’s that?? What an awesome idea. I don’t have kids but if I do have any, I’d like to do this.

10 Likes

Challeng Entry

I use circles often. Mostly when I am working. I work from home and have my desk in my room. I will do a routine before work where I will go counter clockwise with my sage and banish any negative energies, negativity and non benevolent beings from my work space. I will circle 3 times then go clock wise to welcome the Goddess into my space and bless it. I will do that 3 times. Light my daily candle and I am set.

Other times I’ve cast circles for spells. Mostly when everyone is asleep cuz I feel that I can focus in that silence and not be worried of someone coming into my circle. I don’t do spells that often, still fine tuning things. But when I do, I will call to the Elements, I have colored candles and my Athame. I have a circle spell in a book that I like to use, though I will try my next one with the words I found in a post on here. Just seemed to resonate with me and I want to see it will help with my circle.

When casting I will use my Athame to visualize my energy creating a ‘curtain’ around me. I will make a ‘door’ in it if I need to step out (tho I try not to do this until I’ve released the circle)

Another thing that involves circles is using spirals. I will do this when wanting to put a ‘mark’ on something. Blessing a door, a mirror, my altar. that sort of thing

14 Likes

O my goodness @Jeannie1 that is beautiful

8 Likes

Celestial Moon :crescent_moon:
I really like your bracelet

I like how you use your athame and draw a circle. I actually do the same thing.
But adding salt :salt: is a new thing, I have used white tea candles once all around me and I was very comforted by the white light.
I also like to invite in the God and Goddess. I really do appreciate this challenge.

I think I’ll jot this down in my journal it’s worth saving!
Thank you :blush:

Muslim Witch I did my ritual’s outside before and it’s really nice when I had a backyard but know I can’t go outside but maybe on my porch that would be great to be outside.

I have never thought to use crystals I am so excited to try this thank you

15 Likes

Thank you :blush: Yolanda !

10 Likes

Awww thank you Jeannie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I have only been undertaking rituals and performing spells since November 2022 but feel even in that short time, my method of casting circles has changed. At the moment, I do tend to cast a circle for all spells and rituals. I think that it is partly because I am very mich still learning and developing to the point where I want to be careful and ensure that I am protected.

As some of you know, I work very much with the Egyptian deities. I have therefore just developed my method of circle casting to incorporate this in my practice after some reading and research.

For my circle cast, i call upon the 4 sons of Horus. They are the protectors of the cardinal points but were also believed to hold up the sky. I ask them to form my circle and to cast and hold it over me too.

First i call on Duamutef, who protects the east. I visualise a jackal running through a windy landscape before placing this image that i created on Canva (i love canva!) on the floor.

I turn to the south and call upon Imsety, visualising the warrior walking through the darkness, lighting it with his torch before placing my card to the south

Then i face west and call upon Qebehsenuef, visualising a great falcon flying over water towards me and joing my circle before again laying my card.

Finally i face north and call upon Hapi, visualising the baboon climbing from the trees and joining the circle and lay my final card.

I then sit in the centre of my cards and close my eyes. I visualise white light emitting around me from the 4 figures that have joined me until it surrounds me both around and from above. I ask them to hold up my circle as they do the sky.

Closing yhe circle is done in reverse with the figures going back to where they came from: the jackal runs back into the wind, the man back into the darkness, the falcon over the water and the baboon back up the tree. I lift my cards and the circle is disapated.

It may seem like a long process but it is one that comforts me and makes me feel safe as a relativey new practitioner.

Blessed be

Alan

18 Likes

When I started this path, I used the Spells8 Easy Circle of Protection ritual to cast circle before spellwork or ritual work. I always found it to be calming and a great way to get myself prepared for whatever work I intended. Since then, I continue to use that but have modified it to include an invitation to my ancestors to join me in ritual and also some affirmations for myself. I’ve had great experiences when I ask my ancestors and energies in my area who are for my best, to join me. “I ask that my ancestors/land spirits/spirit guides join me in this ritual”. I thank my higher self for being in tune with my intent and affirm my work.

I also close my circle with just a simple saying - I’m pretty sure I found it from Spells8 as well - “My circle is now open but never broken”. I then thank and dismiss my ancestors and all who joined me and end with a Thank you! Merry Part and Be Well!

13 Likes

I see it the same way you do!!:+1:

8 Likes

I also invite them as well & I invite any messages from Spirit that I need to know I love the white tea candles that’s great too! I’m realizing I’m very elemental in my craft but love using them also! If I’m doing a longer ritual or spell, or have more time to meditate or practice or what have you :cyclone::sun_with_face::star2: I bring out my specific candles that for me represent the God & Goddess, the Universe, Spirit. Then the chant changes slightly, I agree @Jeannie1 I’m LOVING this challenge, I love seeing all the different ways and even all the similarities to my own work :people_hugging::sparkle::sparkles:
:red_circle::orange_circle::yellow_circle::green_circle::large_blue_circle::purple_circle::brown_circle::black_circle::white_circle:

–RAE :pisces:

:new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::waxing_gibbous_moon::full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon:
:hamsa::aquarius::cyclone::star2::sun_with_face::white_heart:

12 Likes

Nightly meditation cards are part of our bedtime routine. The kids pick a card from a set (in the pic I posted) and I read them. They are prompted to imagine themselves out in nature with guided visualization. Each meditation features positive self-affirming messages to set the tone for drifting off to sleep.

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I love a good circle! :wheel: There’s something about the way it closes off the world when I’m inside. So, I decided to take a few days to “test drive” some different methods of circle casting. I always cast by “calling the quarters” from Spells 8. With my wand circling in ever increasing spirals, :cyclone: I turn toward each direction in kind of an interpretive dance, that creates an airy sphere around me. Calling the elements to me in this way immediately alters my consciousness and contains the energy I manifest. I fall easily into a routine that resonates…it’s really nice and will probably always be my “got-to” circle.

I read in one of the “helpful topics articles” about casting a circle with sound and loved the idea! Sound is oddly visual for me. When I meditate I strike a singing bowl with a mallet before and after my session, and just realized I have been casting and dismissing a circle. I used this method for a morning tea ritual on Thursday morning and found that as the ringing continued, the circle expanded around me, and stopped growing when the ringing deadened. The sound has a warm tone so the color seems golden and I envisioned it as a perfectly formed liquid bubble. When I was finished, I struck the bowl again and the bubble slowly imploded with the dying sound. I’m sure chanting would also be effective. I loved this method and will use it again! It was simple, satisfying and very effective. I might even try casting a regular circle, then use my singing bowl to cast a circle within a circle where I will actually be doing my work, to see if the energy is different.

Thursday night I had to be at an event. I’m introverted by nature, so big social gatherings really exhaust me, a perfect time to simply visualize a protective circle! This was pretty hard to do in a noisy room, but it made the evening very entertaining because my circle would not stay formed, so I had to keep recreating it in between small talk. I’m sure it would have been a different experience if I was visualizing this circle in my quiet home prior to a ritual, but overall it was too minimal an experience for me. Maybe when I’m more practiced in my craft it will be an option, but for now it didn’t feel right. What I did notice is that my social evening wasn’t nearly as draining! Maybe it’s the perfect circle for that type of occasion?!

The next circle I tried was a physical circle made of crystals. The visual cue was great, but I had to make my circle using multiple types of crystals, which immediately felt confusing. It was as if too many different energies were competing to be inside the boundary. It might be different if I had the same stone or made a circle out of string or salt (though I’d hate to have to sweep :broom: up all that salt!). It also felt more like a perimeter that was open on the top and bottom and less all encompassing. I think any physical circle would feel similarly, unless it had some height, like with a circle of people or trees. I’ll have to find a grove of trees :tree_of_life: and retry this one over the summer!

Finally, I did not try this one, because I’m not exactly sure how I would do it, but I’ve read something about enchanting an article of clothing so that whenever it is put on, your circle is cast. Has anyone done this? @CelestiaMoon made a beautiful bracelet which would make a perfect enchanted circle accessory. I’d love to hear the community’s thoughts on how creating this circle might be done.

13 Likes