šŸ¶ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Inks & Oils

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Ancestor Work :headstone:

After last weekā€™s more serious theme, this week we are lightening up with something a bit more playful. Break out the bottles and get ready to get crafty! :grinning:

This weekā€™s theme was suggested by the wonderful @Garnet and isā€¦

Magickal Inks Oils Challenge Spells8

:sake: :feather: Magickal Inks & Oils :diya_lamp: :jar:

A delightfully diverse area of the Craft, magickal oils are a very popular tool to use in spells and ritual work. There are as many types of oils as there are witches- from spell oils for love to anointing oils for candle work, essential oils for aromatherapy and more :diya_lamp:

Perhaps not as widely known but equally enticing are magickal inks- a blend of ingredients that can be made with oils and other materials for use in writing, sigil-making, consecration, spellwork and more :feather:

Whether you choose to focus on oils in general, magickal inks specifically, or any combination of the two- feel free to be creative with how you explore this theme!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is all about exploring magickal inks & oils- but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 1 : Magickal Inks & Oils :sake:

This challenge is all about the many ways to use magickal inks and oils- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challengeā€¦

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Magickal Inks :feather:

Magickal inks are a type of magickal oil that can be used for writing in Book of Shadows or Grimoire :open_book:. The ink takes on the magickal properties of the ingredients chosen- it can be a wonderful way to add some magick (be it protection, blessings, secrecy, etc) to your records :books:

Inks can also be used to craft enhanced sigils and symbols, power words in spells, record prayers, etc.

Magickal Sigil Ink
magickal ink

Additional Resources:

Magickal Oils :jar:

There is a magickal oil for every intention- if you canā€™t find a pre-made recipe to suit your needs, consider adjusting a recipe you find or crafting your own custom oil!

Into to Magickal Oils- How to Create a Magickal Oil
Creating-Spell-Oils-360x240

Witchesā€™ Blessing Oil
Witches-Blessing-Oil-Recipe-Spells8-360x240

Moon Mother Oil Recipe
Moon-Mother-Oil-Recipe-DIY-360x240

Prosperity Oil Recipe
Prosperity-Anointing-Oil-Recipe-spells8-360x240

Home Blessing Oil
Home-Blessing-Anointing-Oil-spells8-360x240

Anointing and Dressing :candle:

Oils that you collect or craft can be used in the process of anointing (aka applying oil to something). Anointing may be part of a consecration ritual, welcoming new tools, cleansing, or candle spells.

In candle spells specifically, oil can be used to dress the candle- applying magickal ingredients, especially oil, to enhance the candleā€™s properties during the spell :candle:

Dressing-your-candle-spells8

Goddess Anointing Oil
Goddess-Anointing-Oil-Recipe-360x240

Protection Anointing Oil
Protection-Anointing-Oil-Spells8-360x240

Anointing Love Oil
Anointing-Love-Oil-Recipe-Spells8-360x240

Essential Oils :test_tube:

Essential oils are the concentrated essence of plants, herbs, and spices that carry the properties of the herb. They are widely popular in aromatherapy, but can be used on their own for various purposes as well.

:grey_exclamation: Please keep in mind that essential oils are highly concentrated and can cause irritation when used externally. Most essential oils are non-edible, and some are even dangerous- to both people and animals. Please be cautious and mindful when using essential oils

Essential Oil Resources:

:raised_hands: ā€¦ and More!

The suggestions above are just that- simple suggestions! If you feel called to explore magickal inks and oils in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the theme :star2:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, February 28 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2023-02-28T06:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A wish that is written in magickal ink,
May come true sooner than you might think.
For oils and inks can enhance your spells-
Use them well and youā€™re sure to excel!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :sake::sparkles:

19 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m excited for this challenge! (Essential) oils have been part of my Craft since the beginning. Just need to think of something different to do with them. Maybe a magickal spell oil?

17 Likes

Ooo Iā€™m excited for this one too! Iā€™ve been trying to think about an oil or using an ink! How in sync this challenge is for me this week! :revolving_hearts:

15 Likes

Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll be able to get my supplies in time for next week, weā€™ll see.

12 Likes

Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Inks & Oils

Challenge entry - Garnet

Today, Iā€™m going to write about blood-based magickal ink. Once, long ago, blood from living creatures was used in magick, both black and white.

WHAT? you may ask, but take heart. Ms Pacifist, (me) isnā€™t killing anything, I donā€™t do that. So far, my karma is good and I want to keep it that way.

Blood historically had either a sinister or supernatural reputation.

So, you may ask Blood As in Iā€™m going to bite your neck, Blah? No, for this, the vampire reference will remain fiction. And we arenā€™t killing lambs to paint door sills to ward off death. Iā€™m talking about the blood of sacrificed animals and sadly people used magickly for its power, in long-gone days.

Think about it, all things in nature, flora or fauna has their own spirit and power.

I have so often researched magical inks, over the years. They are beautiful and smell delicious. Although they arenā€™t made the way they were back in the ā€˜dayā€™, each plant resin used for these inks is powerful in its own rite. Most magical inks begin with alcohol as a base liquid and gum arabica added to thicken slightly. and instead of plant or resin powder, Essential Oils may work as well.

DRAGONā€™S BLOOD INK, [which doesnā€™t hold a drop of DRAGONā€™S BLOOD ] is a very powerful magick ink supposedly imbued with the protective powers of dragons.

Today, it is made from resin harvested from various plants. This is done to save the original Dracaena cinnabari (dragonā€™s blood trees) which are evolutionary miracles of the plant kingdom, but they may not be around for much longer. It is listed as ā€œvulnerable to extinctionā€. Today cinnabar is most often used for the precious and costly Dragon resin, in order to preserve this tree from extinction.

![|135x107](file:///C:\Users\Bev16\AppData\Local\Temp~tmw1\c0e86f4e.tmp\img00001.PNG)

Dragonā€™s blood tree :evergreen_tree:

:drop_of_blood:BATā€™S BLOOD, AGAIN, NO ACTUAL BLOOD. Contains Dragonā€™s Blood, Alcohol Gum arabica, and essential oils of cinnamon and myrrh. Itā€™s used for commanding, dominating and hexing spells, for binding and protection, and for casting and removing curses and jinxes.

:drop_of_blood:Butterflyā€™s Blood Ink No butterflies are killed in the making of this ink, I promise, just Add saffron so that the ink will be a golden yellow. Vervain may be added as well. Use this ink for love spells and spirit-summoning spells. Probably the rarest of magical inks, Butterflyā€™s Blood ink is reserved for inscribing sacred words and talismans. Occasionally it is used in petitions to request insight or divine guidance. It is an orange/gold ink and was originally made from precious Saffron (if youā€™ve ever priced real saffron? $$$$)

:drop_of_blood:Ravenā€™s Blood Ink is essentially the same formula as dragonā€™s blood ink, but the red colour is obtained from iron oxide powder (rust), not powdered dragonā€™s blood. It is used for love spells.

:feather: *Ravenā€™s Feather Ink -. Burn one black feather, freely given. Not sure how you ask for a feather. Add the ashes to the ink. For commanding spells.

:peach:Chinese Magickal Ink -* Write spells with a peach-wood pen and cinnabar ink. Should smell really good.

Beetroot Ink Boil 2 beetroots, mash, strain & add to ink. Add gum arabica to thicken. Colour Result: Reddish-Pink Ink

:blueberries:Blackberry Ink - Mash, strain, and add gum arabic. Colour Result: Deep Purple Ink,

Black Ink, Known As Lampblack Ink - too much work, and mess, buy it. Colour Result: Deep Black Ink.

:drop_of_blood:DOVEā€™S BLOOD, no bird dies in modern times for this ink. It is used for spells involving love, desire, blessings, reconciliation, friendship and loyalty. Itā€™s also been used historically to seal pacts and promises. Made very much like Dragonā€™s blood ink, but uses E.O.ā€™s, cinnamon, bay and rose.- Colour Result: Red Ink

Actually, any fruit or berry can be made into ink.
Iā€™ll stop now before you all hit blood overload, and Iā€™m sure that is more than any of you wanted to know about magical inks, but history and research are my forteā€™
As with any magick, :magic_wand:
ā€œBe careful what you wish for, you just may get it.ā€

Blessed be

:notebook_with_decorative_cover:
Garnet

:warning: Moderator Note: The recipes included in the above post are from The Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells by Judika Illes.

22 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Magickal inks! I am such a journal and notebook :notebook_with_decorative_cover: nut, plus I got my very first fountain pen for Christmas. :fountain_pen:

I have ideas and canā€™t wait to get started on this challenge! :deer: :crescent_moon: :herb: :purple_heart:

16 Likes

Iā€™m hoping to receive my Tamed Wild box before the end of the challenge! It is a recipe for magical ink & a fountain pen to use with it!

Even if it doesnā€™t make it by the time I am able to do the challengeā€¦ I may use 1 of the recipes offered in @Garnet amazing entry this week! Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

Thank you @Garnet for the wonderful information, I always love your posts

13 Likes

Hmmā€¦ I wonder if I get get everything together in time. My memory was sparked by the fabulous post by our lovely @Garnet I think I used to work with magical inks, dragonā€™s blood specifically. Letā€™s see what I can do with this one.
Maybe this will help me convince my husband to get me the pen that I want so badlyā€‹:joy::wink:

16 Likes

Thank you for so many great inks to try! It is nice to not have to use real blood (though my husband hunts and we have helped our friends transport lamb for Eid al-Adha so I have thought about it). I still prefer a non-actual blood way to do things, and dragonā€™s blood incense is an offering to Aine whom I work with so I am excited to try the dragonā€™s blood ink recipe.

14 Likes

Challenge Entry

Lately I have been working a lot with infusing various liquids for skincare as part of an effort to increase my self care. I have honey and chamomile, witch hazel and calendula, and a variety of lotions/scalp scrubs/foot scrubs and more. For some reason, I hadnā€™t thought to incorporate my craft into this process at all.
Today I decided to do a quick infusion of orange peel in olive oil in order to anoint a candle and reach to to my ancestral namesakes. I made the oil (with help from my youngest), carved my/ancestorsā€™ name into the candle, and had a truly excellent divination experience. I wouldnā€™t have thought to do that until I read the challenge and looked up the potential magical properties of the fruits and herbs that I had on hand.

21 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful info, @Garnet!

13 Likes

Challenge Entry!

I seriously cannot wait to try some of those recipes @Garnet & thanks for coming up with this suggestion! I already am a big fan of Dragons blood so Iā€™m excited!

For me I am all about my candle magick :candle::magic_wand::sparkles: and I have found that anointing my candles & carving sigils or words even or intentions, whenever I meditate, for spells & rituals. I feel like itā€™s another reinforcement for my spell like an extra layer to my intentions Since Iā€™ve stepped up the anointing with my candle magick Iā€™ve noticed A LOT more like signs and messages in my candle waxes and flames! I love making the oils and anointing because it becomes almost a whole nother ritual in itself.

I am also a journal nut so I can not wait to try the inks! I love these challenges & just our forum in general :white_heart::black_heart: Iā€™m so grateful for you All :relaxed:

ā€”Hazel RAE :pisces:
:earth_americas::wind_face::fire::cyclone:
:new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::waxing_gibbous_moon::full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon:

19 Likes

charlotte2

I still prefer a non-actual blood way to do things
Sorry if I offended you.
I think that if we werenā€™t to use synthetic flora and fauna, we wouldnā€™t have been allowed smart enough to invent them.

Garnet

Just to give your magical inks some sparkle, have you ever though of using ā€œfairy dustā€ sparkles? It wouldnā€™t change the formula and would just stand out to you.
G

13 Likes

I ordered that box too. It will be my first one from them! I saw the Ostara sign and couldnā€™t resist.

11 Likes

Oh! Iā€™m so happy for you! :dizzy: I love their subscription boxes & the items that come with them including ritual cards! I saw the Ostara sign & thought of you!

10 Likes

@Kasandra Ohhhh a magickal spell oil sounds lovely! I canā€™t wait to see which essential oils youā€™ll choose- good luck and happy crafting! :jar::sparkles::blush:

@Susurrus What were we just saying in the other discussion? Itā€™s that Infinite Roots Hive Mind haha :wink::honeybee: :heart:

And hereā€™s to hoping your next Tamed Wild box arrives- the ink recipe and fountain pen sound perfect for this theme! :fountain_pen: :sparkles:

@Amethyst May your package(s) arrive quickly, safely, and sooner than expected- so mote it be! :raised_hands: :package:

@Garnet Itā€™s interesting to consider inks made with blood (for me and my own ethics, it would have to be consensual blood- like using a pin prick of my own) but I can definitely see how it would hold a lot of power. I wonder if youā€™d have to store it in the fridge or use other ingredients to prevent coagulation? Itā€™d be tough to write with clumpy ink! :sweat_smile:

Anyways, these are lovely recipes (and blood-free too! My ponderings are moot haha). Thank you for sharing them, and thank you again for suggesting such a fun theme for a challenge! :heart:

@Artemisia Hooray! Iā€™m glad to hear that itā€™s a theme close to your heart, Artemisia- I canā€™t wait to see your ideas come to life! Good luck and happy crafting :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Nixi It sounds like it is a theme that calls to you- whatever you choose to do, I hope you have fun with it, Nixi! :blush: (And also that you can get that pen your heart is set on- so mote it be!) :fountain_pen: :sparkles:

@charlotte2 What a beautiful ritual in honor of your ancestors- and I can imagine that the orange peel infusion smelled divine! :tangerine: :two_hearts: It sounds like crafting oils is already a talent of yours, so Iā€™m very happy the challenge helped you connect those skills with your Craft. Really beautiful work, Charlotte- thank you for sharing! :sparkles::candle:

@Hazel_Rae It is really interesting to hear how your anointment work helps signs to form in the wax and flames- taking the time to dress and anoint candles really does give the spellwork a boost! :candle::blush: Thank you for sharing about your candle oil work and I hope that, if you decide to give them a try, any magickal inks you use also help your casting in new and fun ways. Thanks for joining in- Iā€™m grateful to you! :heart::hugs: Blessed be!

17 Likes

So mote it be!

11 Likes

So Mote it Be!

It really is amazing

In case anyone falls in love with it as much as I did
https://a.co/d/4Fh3ey2

19 Likes

@Nixiā€¦ just adding that to my wishlistā€¦ thank you fellow enabler! :laughing: :revolving_hearts:

12 Likes