šŸ§‘ā€šŸ’» Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Technology & Modern Magick

CHALLENGE ENTRY

With the exception of my candles, wand, crystals, moon water and incense, this witch is All-Digital-All-The-Time!! I rely on my devices for enrolling in magickal instruction, keeping my library of books on witchcraft, for staying in touch with my coven and for keeping my Book of Shadows. Spells 8 alone has made my techno-witchery journey resplendent! For a witch in the broom closet, Itā€™s a portable and private way to keep everything at hand. My bathing rituals are always accompanied by positive energy music stored on my mp3 player. Car rides are always accompanied by Audiobooks on witchcraft. Currently listening to: " Scottish Witchcraft: A Complete Guide to Authentic Folklore, Spells, and Magickal Tools".

I would love to have a beautiful leather-bound BOS to flip through and write in, but I just canā€™t have those things out in the open right now. Thereā€™s a wonderful thread comparing and contrasting keeping a hand-written BOS vs. using a computer to do so on our forum: Handwritten or Printed

I know that technology might seem less personal than other traditional tools of witchcraft, but these devices are so full of personal energy! We carry them around and channel energy through them all day. Not to mention almost all these devices contain a quartz crystal for controlling the timing of the computer chips! I think this little fact is such a witchy-fun one!!

Itā€™s amazing the vast amount of information I have learned and stored on my devices that I could not have acquired or accumulated as quickly without. I guess thatā€™s stating the obvious, but I say this as an expression of extreme gratitude!! I was not fortunate enough to have grown up with parents or grandparents who could pass down the traditions of the Craft and came to my practice late in life without a teacher in my proximity. And most importantly, I couldnā€™t have found all of YOU without technology!!

I love that we share links in the forum and discuss topics so far reaching across the web! At the moment, I am enjoying an in-depth study of the Tarot via an online course: https://www.biddytarot.com/

This course includes some wonderful soul meditations on the major arcana and some creative ways to connect with these cards. For instance, if a tarot card was a famous person, who would it be?

Itā€™s all Techno-tastic!

16 Likes

127 - Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Technology & Modern Magick

Challenge entry - Garnet

What an interesting topic.

It makes one think deep thoughts, like; IS technology magick? or is magick technology?

Yes, weā€™re sophisticated, educated, and not superstitious, Blah, blah, blah. But we were not always.

Can we believe in magick and technology together?

Just because you can explain the scientific principle of a thing, doesnā€™t mean that it cannot be both Magical & technological.

Back in ancient times, when men wore nothing but loin-cloth (sigh), and women wore animal skins, without repercussion. Magick was considered the cause of most things, birth, rain, floods, etc. As man evolved, it was believed that anything they didnā€™t have an explanation for was Magick (evil) or foolishness.

Was the ancient light bulb considered Magic or technology

![|293x208](file:///C:\Users\Bev16\AppData\Local\Temp~tmw1\61e86b12.tmp\img00001.PNG)

he Dendera light*,

Temple of Hathor, Dendera, Egypt.

How does this earliest of lamp fall into the Magical/technology categories?

Magick -

Used in the magick ceremonies in Ancient Egypt

Technology -

This is an ancient discovery that was believed to denote the first source of artificial light, and or electricity. It is called the Dendera light, and it ran off a vase with an iron rod and rolled copper sheet (essentially a battery). Although it has been debunked, I beg to differ.

![|150x150](file:///C:\Users\Bev16\AppData\Local\Temp~tmw1\61e86b12.tmp\img00002.PNG)

Lightning?

Even in ancient times, electricity was unexplainable, ergo, magick.

Today we know that lightning is electrical energy produced when warm air(which contains moisture droplets) meets cold air (which has ice crystals) During the storm created when these two meet, the droplets and crystals rub together making static electricity leading to Lightning!

Ancient Greece explained lightning as Zeus, the king of the gods, sending lightning bolts to punish man.

Iā€™m going to stop with this before I get into the physics of gravity and how it is related to lightning, you know the old positive and negative magnetical, & gravitational pullā€¦

And youā€™re welcome, knowing how much we all love PHYSICS!

Blessed be

Garnet

19 Likes

@Kasandra
Hey, my little dragon princess!
Have you heard of a binaural beat?
Yes, brain waves come in alpha, beta, delta, and theta.
Unfortunately, Theta gave me headaches.

I donā€™t think about these too much, but some find them exceptionally helpful.
Thanks for the reminder.
Blessings
Garnet

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

For me, this is all about balance. I love technology, but I find that too much time with any sort of technology (phone, tv, internet, etc) weighs me down, adds to my monkey mind troubles, and leaves me feeling disconnected.

A lot of my learning is mixed. I love learning (like courses from Spells8) and connecting with others in the forum, but thereā€™s nothing quite like sitting down with a physical book and a mug of tea or coffee in a cozy spot with no technology in reach. I also love handwriting what I learn to really create space for it in my brain.

I do rely heavily on technology for relaxing music and guided meditations. While there are times I like silence, my family does not :upside_down_face: so I use calming music to help keep the peace in our home. And headphones with the music or meditations helps ground me.

Also, I really love using my senses with my craft. Physically using pen and paper will always create a deeper connection for me than typing. Physically lighting the candles helps me meditate better. Specific smells help me focus more. Feeling the grass between my toes when Iā€™m outside helps encourage gratitude. And all of this helps me slow down a lot more, too. Technology ends up feeling like it always needs to be fast (at least for me) so I feel like disconnecting helps me be more mindful about everything I do.

So I guess overall, my practice is both ancient and modern. I need balance between the two or I feel disconnected.

15 Likes

I hadnā€™t thought of that with the computer chip! Thatā€™s super cool.

I think I may use this in the future for making sigils. Thanks for sharing the links! This helps a lot.

12 Likes

I am new to Wicca and the craft. I am a tech geek.
Iā€™ve been stuggling with the best way to create a book of shadows / book of mirrors that I will use and that is easy to keep up to date.
I decided to use a digital grimoire created using Notion software. I started with a template created by Steph

from Witch Wednesdays Podcast. https://www.patreon.com/witchwednesdays/posts

Then I modified the template to meet my needs. I have been really happy with the results.

16 Likes

12 Likes

I love your digital grimoire @SeraphineAmaryllis. I see that you used Notion and a template created by ā€œStephā€. Is this something that can be purchased? Itā€™s ideal!

12 Likes

Technomancy in my life -
When I started on this journey, I read a lot and took a lot of notes on my laptop. Of course, me being me, when I took notes, I added my own interpretations and made changes to some spells and rituals to make them more my own. I was really happy with all the information I had collected and all that I had learned. Then one day, I went looking for a particular Wiccan story because I wanted to share it with someone and when I went to open the folder, half of the story was missing. From that point on, I started a new system.
I now have four different folders for my Wicca work on my computer. I have one folder called ā€˜Everything Wiccaā€™ where I keep poems, cartoons, and Wicca website addresses. The second folder is my Book of Shadows, this folder is a Wiccan Doctrine. It has things like the Thirteen Principles of Witchcraft, The Wiccan Rede, and Wiccan Values etc. Since I donā€™t want to lose this information, I have also printed this folder to keep in a tactile Book of Shadows. (Yes, I feel guilty about all the trees that have been cut down.) Then I have a Book of Mirrors, which is a folder of the lessons that I have learned with a paragraph or two about how the lesson applies to me. Finally I have a folder called ā€˜My Moon Journalā€™ where I keep my journal writings.
I also have four different notebooks for Wicca information that I like to have at my fingertips like recipes and spells, correspondences to help me create my own spells and recipes, Esbat and Sabbat rituals, and a book I call ā€˜The Power of Magickā€™. It has a section about what magick is and what it isnā€™t, a section about the magick within (everyone has magick, itā€™s just a matter of recognizing it), a section about the magick without (types of magick we perform to support our magick within), and a section about knowledge is power (whenever, a topic is learned, power is attained. When the new knowledge is used, it becomes magickal.).

16 Likes

Ordinarily, this would be a difficult challenge for me to find something BUT as fate/luck would have it, I already have an idea for this challenge!

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

The digital world has helped me a lot on my journey! I hope to share some of the ways I have used it on my path.

Safety

More than ten years ago, I was able to keep secret by saving things to Evernote, and to safely explore tarot, oracle cards and runes through apps on my phone. :iphone: I also carefully choose my phone wallpapers to align with my intentions. :magic_wand:

Emojis

I am often mindful of emojis :pentagram: I use. Not always, sometimes theyā€™re just for fun. But when I want to add a little extra intention, I carefully pick which ones I want to add in conversations.

Elemental Balance

I OFTEN use digital technology for changing the energy of my space. Iā€™ll use immersive videos on YouTube to balance my elements and to honor the seasons (fireplaces :fire: in the winter and aquariums / farmlands / rain :cloud_with_rain: in the summer) - this is something Iā€™ve been doing for years.

Immersion / Inspiration

Iā€™ll also put on an immersive video when I need inspiration for my path. I canā€™t often do rituals or have much of a sacred space. So I create them digitally or with my mind. Videos help! :fire: :film_projector:

Hereā€™s one I am using today: :candle: šŸ•ÆVirtual Candles: Relaxing Burning Tealights with Soothing Wind Chimes (HD) - YouTube

A wonderful YouTube channel I go to often for immersing myself in spirituality and the seasons / sabbats: The Dead of Night on YouTube

Learning

And of course the plethora of videos, websites and digital books available that were not just a decade or two ago. Resources like that are great for solitaries, especially people unable to share their path openly.

Digital Art

When I was doing art, I mostly did it digitally on my iPad due to space and lack of supplies (and cats :black_cat: lol). I treated my Apple Pencil like a wand :magic_wand: and put my energy into my art with imagery and color. It was a very magical experience for me. I was very intentional in everything I created and shared online.

Book of Shadows

Recently, I save a lot of Spells8 printables to Google Drive. It is a great way to keep them secret & safe and to access them. I hope to print some out soon. :open_book: :printer:

Coven / Friends

And of course our coven here. I have no local witchy / pagan people that I know. Itā€™s just me and my daughter. So I appreciate being able to come here and to share my path with all of you across space and time. :infinite_roots: :rainbow: :candle: :pentagram:

Edited for formatting to hopefully make my wall of text easier to read, lol

15 Likes

Challenge Entry
My relationship with technology is a bit mixed, though I have been working lately to decrease my doom scrolling so it has been improving. It has definitely been helpful in my witchy journey.
Book of Shadows - I have a physical book of shadows that I am working on, but I also have a lot more information saved digitally that I need to print or hand write. I prefer a physical copy, but I must admit that being able to download information and spells is a great convenience.
Inventory - I keep an inventory on my computer of what I have - candle colors, incense, essential oils, herbs, stones/gems, and divination tools. When I have a specific need, I can simply search the document for a keyword and find which items I have align with my goal.
Information - I get most of my information from the internet and forums such as this. Even when I read physical books, they are recommendations I have found online and/or audiobooks.
Meditation - Spells8, spotify, youtube, etc are all full of meditations or calming music I can play when I want to slow down and reflect.
Overall, technology is a great tool and resource for everything I want to learn and do.

16 Likes

Oh gosh this is an important one!! Something I struggle with myself. I abandoned most social media platforms due to it.

This is something Iā€™m especially grateful for! I remember back in the 90s and prior, you had bookstores and the library and whatever you could find on audiotape / cd / vhs or the TV. Not a whole lot of options compared to now!

I think thatā€™s so cool that you keep track of glue magickal supplies. That excites me until I realized that all of mine could probably fit in a lunch box :sweat_smile: Thatā€™s such an awesome idea though!

13 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Not sure if I am on the right lines with this challenge but here goesā€¦

I love to learn and to acheive this, I love to read. This is where tech ology has been a real blessing. I make use of the Kindle app on my iPad to assist with my learning and increasing my knowledge and understanding of the craft. Money is a bit of an issue just now (as it probably is for many of us) so I cannot afford to buy lots of books. Instead I have a kindle unlimited subscription which gives me access to thousands of books (Ā£7.99 per.montj). I am aware that the books available may not be extensive and suitable.for the established or experienced practitioners but for me they have been incredibly useful. I often use the highlight feature to record things I would like to explore further or put into my BOS. Its also great when an unknown word is used just to be able to click on it and gain an instant understanding.

Strangley, I concentrate more on things with music in the background. This is where my Spotify comes in VERY handy. When searching on YouTube, I came across a track called Osiris. I then discovered a whole album of music based on Ancient Egypt and their deities, each one aiming to capture their personality in music. I then discovered they were all.on spotify and was able to create my own playlist. I play these when working with deities in the hope that the gods and goddesses enjoy them as much as I do. I have also used Spotify for podcasts on mythology. Listening to them on the way to and from work was an excellent way to extend my understanding and knowledge of the trials and tribulations of various deities. Moreover, I even listened to podcasts which took me on the Foolā€™s Journey to help me.master the meanings of the tarot major arcana. Spotify offers so much more than the latest pop and rock songs!

YouTube is also fantastic for meditations as is an app I use called Calm. This app has meditations but also relaxing stories and soundscapes. I play the soundscapes at night when in bed. I match them to the element of the sign that the moon is in so it rotates between forest sounds, rain, a fire or wind. My colour projector is also set to a colour to match the element.

My stylus on my ipad has been useful in helping me to construct my BOS. I am normally.someone who loves everyhting to be typed up. However, I had an overwhelming feeling NOT to.do.this with my BOS. I wanted a traditional feel and that meant handwriting it. However, when undertaking research I record my notes on my ipad (handwritten) using my stylus. This then gives me reference notes to use to construct my entries into my BOS. A nice balance of technology and traditional methods.
PS my BOS is neater than the scribbles belowšŸ¤£

I have a little app library on my mobile phone which is gradually evolving too. Some are simple apps which let me k ow the planetary times, moon phases etc while others are good for looking up correspondences and such.i also have a night sky app which allows me to gind constellations and planets in the sky.

A special mention must be given to Spells8. The courses have provided me with a wealth of information and ideas. The downloadable materials are extremely useful for someone like me who didnā€™t know where to start when it came to my BOS etc. The online coven here has also been an amazing find for me. I am a solitary practitioner who does not share my craft or beliefs with others. Therefore to find a coven with such friendly, welcoming and supportive members has really made me feel part of a group or family and I really appreciate you all.

Blessed be

Alan

18 Likes

Oh man! You are speaking my love language right now! I am such technology nerd. Fun fact, I am actually my schoolā€™s technology leader and a ā€œInnovative technology leaderā€ for my district. Thatā€™s teacher speak for ā€œGo observe Ailey cause sheā€™s good at using technology in the classroom with her kids.ā€ Itā€™s so much fun!

I canā€™t wait to reflect on all this! The endorphines are already pumping!

13 Likes

@AileyGrey Snap! My colleagues are sent to observe me using technology with my class too. It throws open the door for so ,any exciting learning experiences for the kids.

13 Likes

Yes! I teach littles, too, and most people donā€™t think they can do all the thingsā€¦ but they can!

13 Likes

My collection isnā€™t huge and a lot of my crystals are small, but I like being able to say ok I want to amplify my romantic connection or ease anxiety or whatever else Iā€™m working toward and being able to see what I have that will work for that purpose. I got sick of looking at spells and not having any of the crystals or herbs on hand, so now I just start with what I know that I have.

11 Likes

Oh, this is going to be interesting~ :grin:

I have a complicated relationship with technology, thatā€™s really where my journey into magick started. Hang on, this is going to take a whileā€¦ :sweat_smile:

I remember home computers from my early childhood, the kinds that were mostly used for games. They were closest to magick I had seen, and I watched in awe as the mysterious box made strange new worlds appear on the TV screen, and unlike TV shows I could actually explore theose worlds on my own! :star_struck:

I was determined to work out how computers work. I had two older brothers who were similarly captivated, and showed me: programming, thatā€™s where itā€™s at. You can write out instructions for the computer, and if youā€™ve written them correctly, the machine obeys. Instead of playing someone elseā€™s game, thatā€™s how you can make your own. The only limitations are your imagination, your programming skill, and the technical limitations that were much stricter back then but still left plenty of room to play around.

I had a lot of fun with the simplest things, like the computer asking my name, and then greeting me by that name. I could make windows appear, and fill them with various shapes endlessly appearing in psychedelic colors. I also spent so much time in the drawing program. I didnā€™t have the means or the knowledge to combine them, to bring my drawings into the programming environment, but I kept dreaming about it.

My school years were largely spent with computers. Hardware and software, and how they connect. Not unlike how we have a body and a mind. That started slowly to build a bridge to getting curious about our own hardware and software. Physics and metaphysics. It was still a seed, that was just starting to take root. Meanwhile I had my life plans set, I was going to study this stuff in university, and become a programmer.

Andā€¦ so I did. I had an intention, the determination, the passion, and the perseverance, and I made it manifest. I had a fun job, a couple of okay jobs, then a terrible job, and that was it. Bored of computers now. :sweat_smile: Wellā€¦ it was a little more complicated than that. Boring people was more like it. I couldnā€™t really find the magick where I was working. So I decided to take a sharp left turn and start looking it elsewhere. I had heard good things about witchcraft :wink:

Soā€¦ here we are again, at the intersection of the technical and the magickal. The artificial and the organic, the straight lines and the wild grooves. Maybe I can get them to dance together, weā€™ll see. :blue_heart: :sparkles:

12 Likes

challenge entry
Ohh i love this one. While i have norebooks and physical things such as candles or cards etc crystals and the like because i travel alot on public transport and dont have a car, and also often in spaces i cant pull out pagan or witchy things i use my phone alot in my practice. Its like a travel bundle and i have a file with pagan or witch apps on my phone so i can find easy such as the spells8 app, the moon cycles app, a witch app which has wheel of year and can set dates to southern hem. Ive got more oracle, tarot and now lenomand and kipper card decks on phone than physical :joy:partly cause cheaper and easier to use on the go but i do still want to get some physical decks when can for when i do want to use a hands on deck and do rrading for others, but for now im using alot of apps fpr my practice. I also use resources from like tge spells 8 site and forum and youtube like other witch practitioners to learn from people who share their knowledge that way. Including right now really trying to get my head around rrading divinatiin including lenomand and kipper and the grand tableau as welk as smaller spreads. Im trying to learn all the tarot, oracle, lenomand, kipper, runes and ogham and while i have physical decks or resources i also do rely heavily on my phone using my 1hr and half hour trip from work once finished aby work tasks left from day to listen to a youtube video on reading techniques on different spreads or just learning the different systems. I have audio books on different topics and some on kindle and can read these on train without ppl knowing what im doing. I research topics im learning about on my phone and i also have pkay lists for pagan and witch music, music dedicated to deities i honor and ive even used for meditations abd so much more. While i do love having physical objects when having to carry all on me for lobg distances or out where i might draw negative attention havibg my phone as a pagan and witch resource has been amazing and no one needed to know what i was wayching, listening to or doing on my phone say if i was doing a reading on one of my apps. So yes technology has played a vig part in my practice and as even now as i type this veing in pain and not able to move much, or being exhausted ( yesterday even feeling like i was going to callapse seberal times) using my phone requires less movement and energy from me, though do need the phobe charged, so when im in pain or exhausted and cant move much because of this, my phone or a tablet even is really a great help to stay connected to my practice. I do want to try explore this further in ways that maybe ive not been able to get physical things or go to places physically esp with meditation to set up stuff so can do inner temple work with say ocean soubds or forest sounds on playlists or images to meditate on that relate to deities honor as getting physical statues of them is difficult and may also raise concern should family drop by unannounced as they sometimes do. But if have images on phone i could prop it up in front on where sit and maybe have candle nect to it and have some time tgat way with a deity even if its not a physical image or card. Also if went out to a place sacred to them i could do this without having to pull out a physixal statue atound other ppl could just pull up that image on phone and even if close phone but hold that image in mind it might also help connect to members of my clan. But again going out n about is more difficult these days esp with pain and exhaustion though i had pusged myself in the past to still go out, i do kinda feel ( even if i didnt know there was a legit reason for it back then) that my trying to be social and beinf pressured to go to places like church services or events, id been going in an already vulnerable state from trauma and add pain and exhaustion, sometimes i feel its my own fault that i left the house and fot out there that more trauma occured esp now i know there had been a reason for the symptoms now like physical exhaustion and pain, anxiety and depression, confusion and trouble concentrating. Things a part of the condition already even withiut past traumaā€¦ so now i feel like othwr than to get food or to go to work or visit family or one friend and her family. I dont go out anymore. Going to beach or parks or other places i used to enjoy, i fear by going to those places im putting myself in danger, even without anyone knowing im pagan or witch, i fear running into ppl who were involved or behind those traumatic events and worse they finding out i was pagan or knowing already and what they may do. Also because id be alone and relying on public transport, targeted by ppl in past purely based on that. So yeah i have to say technology is a way to safely explore my practive withoit ppl knowing when i do leave the house and is a help to bring the outside in when i can not leave the house. . Not even when need food etc. Just talking aboit it has made me realise just how much thats affected me without realising, but i am especially so grateful that technology does open up avenues and resources eben just here on spells 8 forum to connect to ppl when otherwise i wouldnā€™t really see anyone outside work and occational family events or meetup with one friend in person.
Sorry it was a long post. I started and just kinda got carried away talkinh about all the ways i use technology in practice n maybe a few tangents about why that was important for me. ā€¦

12 Likes