🛞 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Wheel of the Year: Pagan Holidays

This turned out great I really like the moon phases at the bottom another incredible project! :clap: :full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon::new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon:

9 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

Tuesday, Aug 15 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)

Thank you to everyone who has joined in so far to show off their calendars and planners, share about their favorite celebrations, chat about the seasons and cycles, and more! :pray: :tada: It is a lot of fun to learn about everyone’s celebrations and which holidays you are looking forward to most- thanks again to those who have shared an entry so far!

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so!

Blessed Be! :wheel::sparkles:

10 Likes

Thank you Wendy! The first one is from the Happy Planner, and the second one I bought from Amazon. Three Hares Media.

9 Likes

@MeganB :thinking::thinking::thinking: The hurricane season is an interesting idea that I may adopt.

@Ostara I’m with you! I want to ask for rain but don’t want Houston to get hit with a hurricane. The last time we had rain here in Houston was early July and then only 2". I believe we need ~15-20 inches to move out of drought conditions.

9 Likes

I will have to look into those. Thank you for the info!

9 Likes

Challenge Entry

This challenge entry might be one of my more boring posts here, but I wanted to jump in because I’ve been wanting to create my own Wheel of the Year — I figure that maybe if I post something about my goals here, that at least one of y’all will hold me accountable :wink::sweat_smile:

Anywho, I’ve been wanting to make my own Wheel of the a Year because I don’t fully feel in-tune with the “traditional” one with the eight sabbats.

While reflecting on what I feel for me to be the most powerful tides, I feel that the equinoxes and solstices are the most prominent to me. Between those, I feel more drawn to the cycles of the moon than the other sabbats.

However, even once I get my own version of the Wheel of the Year, I still plan on observing the eight sabbats — I personally believe that there is great power in so many people observing the same things at the same time.

Thinking about my wheel of the year, some things that stick out to me the most are the arrival of the red wing black birds in the spring, the migration of the birds and changing of the leaves in the fall, and what I call “the end of the windy season” and when it starts back up again. There’s a particular time of the year where I live when the winds become stagnant, but it’s windy for most of the rest of the year, and for some reason, that presence/absence of the wind is extremely prevalent in how I (and even my parents) perceive the different parts of the year.

I don’t have too much more to say at the moment because I haven’t had a chance to think through it extensively because I’ve had a lot going on at work, but I’m working on it! :sweat_smile:

Blessed be :four_leaf_clover:

10 Likes

Challenge Entry - The Wheel of the Year: Pagan Holidays
While this is a wonderful challenge and I wish I had had more time to devote to it, short story is last Monday-Satuday were extremely difficult and it took all I had just to make it through each day and I had no time, energy or thought to the challenge.

I don’t want to miss submitting an entry so this will be brief and sadly not as well prepared (or enjoyed) as I would like.

While I do consider myself pagan, I was raised catholic, so there are some holiday remnants from that life that mix with those in this one. I do celebrate the new year at the end of the calendar year. I don’t celebrate all the sabbats equally as I admit I do have favorites that seem to fall along seasonal lines. Mostly I would say my life is divided up by the seasons in nature. My heart is in the flowers, and leaves, and birds, and seeds and birds and moon phases - so my life and planning follow that path as well. Transition times are my favorite with spring and autumn (beginnings and endings) being the highlights of my year.

I may not be proper in how I follow my path. My path meanders a bit but it’s the path that makes me fulfilled.

9 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Calendars Calendars everywhere.

Our New Year begins on November 1st. We celebrate ‘Witchy’ Holidays, although I haven’t gotten back into full swing, some Christian Holidays, most Traditional American Holidays and some obscure ones as well. For example, August 17th is Black Cat Appreciation Day.

My big project turned out looking like a Kindergarten art project. The printing, which is not my superpower, doesn’t show on all of the wedges and I flip flopped 2 of them. I planned on it being a rough draft, just not quite this rough. It’s meant to be a spinner and given the supplies on hand, there is a bottle cap involved, that part surprisingly works.

I have a planning calendar that is meant to stay in my Rollator but…

I have a lovely Moon Phases Calendar I downloaded from somewhere. I don’t remember if it was a Freebie or Purchase, I’ll go with Freebie :shushing_face: I keep one copy in my book for planning out spell work or jotting down types of spells that would be best on whatever day and I keep a copy on the wall near my bed so I’ll always know the current Moon Phase

And my Son’s Calendar that gets changed up with the Seasons and more frequently by little hands

I made a calendar for the living area from a 3 ring binder turned sideways with printable calendar pages on the bottom and some lovely words of encouragement from @Garnet on the top but nobody knows where it is :woman_facepalming:t2:

And there’s my disorganized attempt at being organized

11 Likes

This is awesome @Nixi you did a kick ass job on your wheel of the year and your sons calendar!! :grin: you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself it looks really cool. :sunglasses: :infinite_roots::blue_heart:

7 Likes

Everyone’s entries are amazing :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

This is the only wheel of the year type calendar I have it’s one of my alter cloths. Lol I follow pagan holidays by keeping up with spells 8 I decorate my alter according to the sabbath and I never miss a Esbat and every dark moon :new_moon_with_face: I leave a offering for Hecate at the crossroads or in the woods on Samhain. Everybody had really incredible entry’s for this challenge allot of creative witches :blush::sparkling_heart::heartpulse::two_hearts:

8 Likes

Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - ENTRY- The Wheel of the Year: Pagan Holidays
The more I try to make time for me, the more it does not happen, until now. I am going to “do me” and as I have been going back and forth with the Wiccan or Pagan way of life, I have finalized my desion, Pagan will be my life’s path. Below is the August Calander for Pagan’s and boy I really wish I could celebrate each and every day listed.

AUGUST
AUG. 1: LUGHNASSADH / LAMMAS SABBAT: First Harvest—Bread Harvest. First Harvest Festival of the Celtic Sun God Lugh.

AUG. 2: Feast of the Black Madonna – Gnostic celebration of the Dark Goddess

AUG. 3: Day of the Dryads – Greek celebration of the Macedonian maiden spirits of woods and water.

AUG. 3-4: Feast of Old Greek Goddess Artemis (Roman Diana) – Defender of rights and liberties, and punisher of rapists and oppressors.

AUG. 5: Celtic Tree Month of Hazel begins.

AUG. 6: Celtic Fire Festival of Tan Hill.

AUG. 9: Druid Feast of the Fire Spirits
– Roman Vinalia Rustica: wine festival of Venus and Pan

AUG. 11-13: Feast of Father Sky – Honoring God as Obatala (Yoruba/Santeria), Ouranos (Greek), Svarog (Slavic), Thor (Norse), Taranis (Celtic), Dyaus (Hindu).
– Celtic Puck Fair – Fertility Festival.

AUG. 12: The Lights of Isis, Festival of the Egyptian Goddess Isis.

AUG. 19: Roman Vinalia: Marriage of Bacchus

AUG. 20: Marriage of the God and Goddess—Sun God enters Earth Goddess and rules Underworld as Lord of the Shadows.

AUG. 21: Festival of Hecate—Invoking her to protect the harvests now that the God resides within her aspect as the Earth Goddess.

AUG. 21: Greek Festival of Hecate – To protect the harvest.

AUG. 24: Feast of Egyptian God Osiris – Partner and true love of Isis, and father of Horus; guide of all husbands, fathers, and judges.

AUG. 25: Norse God Odin receives knowledge.
– Roman Festival of Goddess Ops – Lady of the Cornucopia, Bounty of the Harvest and Sustainer of Life.

AUG.27: Feast of Egyptian Goddess Isis – Partner and true love of Osiris, and mother of Horus; guide of all wives, mothers, healers, advocates, and teachers.

AUG. 28: Norse Harvest Festival.

AUG. 29 -Sep 11: Return of Isis – Egyptian festival marking the return to Egypt of Goddess Isis (as the star of Sept/Sirius) and God Osiris (as the rising Nile River).

Hecate is the Godess I worship, heart and soul. Hecate is involded in so many Pagan ways that she just makes me love her so much more. I am running out of time for this challenge and spent too much research and reading. Below is a huge list forspecial occasions:

140+ SUPER Witchy Things to Do Daily Or for Special Occasions:( Otherworldly Oracle, 2019)

Here’s our ULTIMATE List of 140+ Witchy Things to Do:
⦁ Write in your grimoire / BOS
⦁ Listen to witchy music
⦁ Cook with herbs
⦁ Gardening
⦁ Read a witchcraft book
⦁ Pray to your ancestors
⦁ Pray to your gods
⦁ Color magic – wearing colors by intention
⦁ Wear amulets and talismans
⦁ Offerings to ancestors and gods
⦁ Meditate for 15 minutes
⦁ Nature walk
⦁ Listen to a witchy podcast
⦁ Drink herb/fruit infused water
⦁ Record your dreams
⦁ Make an herb infused oil for candles, anointing, consecrating tools, etc.
⦁ Make an herbal bath tea
⦁ Bake a cake and add edible flowers
⦁ Make rose water
⦁ Drink herbal tea with intention
⦁ Collect wildflowers and put on your altar or in vases around the house
⦁ Burn incense
⦁ Make a loose leaf incense with herbs and flowers
⦁ Craft a besom using only herbs and plant material
⦁ Gather flowers and craft a flower crown
⦁ Make an herbal powder for home protection
⦁ Craft an herbal tincture for healing
⦁ Listen to a witchy audio book
⦁ Carry stones and crystals in your pocket
⦁ Make a spell bag to protect your car
⦁ Spread red brick dust over your thresholds for protection
⦁ Draw a circle around you with chalk for ritual
⦁ Call on the guardians of the watchtowers
⦁ Study witches from the past
⦁ Identify local plants and record in your journal
⦁ Cleanse, charge and refresh your altar
⦁ Cook a magical meal with herbs and using ingredients with intention
⦁ Sex magick
⦁ Pull an oracle or tarot card for yourself
⦁ Light a candle for your ancestors
⦁ Talk to a witchy friend
⦁ Study and cast the runes
⦁ Take a magical bath with herbs, salt, etc.
⦁ Do chakra meditations
⦁ Care for your animal friends and pets
⦁ Pick up litter
⦁ Study and use crystals and stones
⦁ Take a Reiki class
⦁ Cast a candle spell
⦁ Read animal omens and signs in nature
⦁ Take an herbalism class
⦁ Make moon water or sun water
⦁ Swim in a local body of water
⦁ Craft a wreath for your front door according to the season/sabbat
⦁ Write a witchy poem or story
⦁ Smudge your house and self
⦁ Lay magical protective wards around your home
⦁ Make a witch’s bottle and bury it in your yard
⦁ Research your ancestors and build a family tree
⦁ Exercise – yoga, cardio, etc.
⦁ Visit a local metaphysical or witchy shop
⦁ Take a day trip to a local historical or natural landmark
⦁ Clean your house with magic
⦁ Plan your next sabbat: simple traditions and/or rituals
⦁ Visit an antique store and see what you “feel” there
⦁ Hike a mountain or forest
⦁ Blow bubbles and make wishes
⦁ Send yourself a magical letter
⦁ Make a spell bag for your intention (love, protection, job, friendship, etc.)
⦁ Braid or comb your magical intentions into your hair
⦁ Use your perfume to draw your intentions to you
⦁ Learn how to read playing cards as a form of divination.
⦁ Diffuse essential oil
⦁ Make and use witch’s black salt.
⦁ Learn how to astral project.
⦁ Enchant your pet’s collar with a protective sigil.
⦁ Watch a witchy movie.
⦁ Go shopping for witchy clothes and accessories.
⦁ Draw runes in the dirt or sand using your finger or a stick.
⦁ Research your spirit animal.
⦁ Sweep your home with a besom to cleanse it of negative energies.
⦁ Look up old wives’ tales and incorporate them into your craft.
⦁ Make a spell box.
⦁ Gaze at the moon.
⦁ Walk outside barefoot.
⦁ Leave sweet treats in the garden for the faeries.
⦁ Have a bonfire and cast your worries into it.
⦁ Sew a healing or nurturing poppet.
⦁ Embroider a rune into your jacket.
⦁ Create a fairy garden.
⦁ Evoke a protective kitchen guardian to watch over your hearth.
⦁ Plant a tree.
⦁ Make a dream pillow with herbs and stones.
⦁ Write your own spells.
⦁ Clean your floor with an herbal floor wash.
⦁ Adopt a house plant or two.
⦁ Brew a cup of moon milk for the full moon.
⦁ Draw down the moon (invoke the goddess).
⦁ Check out an open circle in your area.
⦁ Make a natural wand.
⦁ Make a dream catcher.
⦁ Craft a homemade beer, wine or mead.
⦁ Enchant your coffee by drawing a sigil over it before drinking.
⦁ Work with the spirits in your house and the spirit OF your house.
⦁ Name your car and treat him/her like a friend or family member.
⦁ Engage in shadow work to heal.
⦁ Make a spell jar for your intention.
⦁ Hang windchimes around your house.
⦁ Hang witch’s balls.
⦁ Make a black scrying mirror.
⦁ Collect storm or rain water and use in your magick.
⦁ Have a dumb supper on Samhain.
⦁ Make a simmering potpourri on the stove.
⦁ Read someone’s palm (or learn how to read palms).
⦁ Collect acorns, pinecones, and seed pods for spell work.
⦁ Collect dirt from different places to use in spells.
⦁ Make candied flowers.
⦁ Write a chant for the next new moon.
⦁ Give biodegradable offerings to the forest or local nature spirits.
⦁ Study the Green Man legend.
⦁ Plan a sacred pagan pilgrimage.
⦁ Give a witchy gift to a witch friend.
⦁ Make an ink to use in magical writing.
⦁ Press flowers and herbs between pages of a book.
⦁ Cleanse your crystals and stones using one of the elements.
⦁ Charge your crystals in the moonlight.
⦁ Hang a hummingbird feeder.
⦁ Craft a Bohemian dreamcatcher.
⦁ Make homemade jelly or jam infused with magical intention.
⦁ Hang a photo of an ancestor.
⦁ Clear off a shelf in your linen closet or pantry to make a home for your household spirits/fairies.
⦁ Collect snakeskin sheds and save for magical purposes.
⦁ Clean and save old glass jars and bottles for spells and herb jars.
⦁ Learn how to “throw dem bones”.
⦁ Sew a magical cape or cloak for ritual outside work.
⦁ Make crabshell or cascarilla powder for protection work.
⦁ Visit a cemetery and leave flowers for a soul that calls to you.
⦁ Create a vision board including your dream witch home.
⦁ Add the 4 elements to your house decor.
⦁ Visit a local waterfall or body of water.
⦁ Carve a pumpkin for Samhain.
⦁ Inscribe runes or sigils in the bottom of your shoes.
⦁ Sing a moon chant on the next full moon.
⦁ Do a self-healing guided meditation on YouTube.
⦁ Listen to folk music your ancestors might have enjoyed.
⦁ Collect seashells, sea glass, and drift wood from your next beach visit.

Source

140+ SUPER Witchy Things to Do Daily Or for Special Occasions, (AUGUST 19, 2019)

13 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

It is always inspirational to see the diversity of the Coven- I’m in awe of the many wonderful ways that everyone celebrates throughout the year! No matter which calendar(s) and holidays are special in your practice, thank you to everyone who took the time to share- thank you so much for sharing your celebrations and how you enjoy the year! :heart: :blush:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : To avoid confusion, this discussion will be locked until the Props and Presents post appears. At that time, this thread will reopen for discussion for a few more days- comments are welcome during this time, but please note that no additional prizes will be given.

Thanks again for joining in the challenge! :partying_face:

Blessed be! :wheel::sparkles:

8 Likes

The challenge deadline has passed- thank you to everyone who joined in!

This topic is reopening for any continued discussion and comments (feel free to respond to entries that were shared, chat about the challenge theme, etc!)

The “Props and Presents” award post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to all entrants! :trophy:

Award Post for the Pagan Holidays Challenge

Thank you once again to all those who joined the challenge! :star2: I hope you enjoy your new badge :medal_military:

This thread has been reopened for discussion- feel free to comment on the theme, ask questions or reply to entries! However, please remember that no additional badges will be given out now that the challenge has officially closed. Thank you!

8 Likes

@Amaris_Bane – This is only year two for me, but it’s been a good way for me to connect with the land, too.

@Jewitch – I love that you’re connecting cycles and seasons with the birds, and the wind and everything! That’s exactly how I’m building my Wheel of the Year.

8 Likes

Better late than never.

• I am just starting out so I am following the standard wheel of the year along with typical USA holidays. I may move some of the holidays next year to be the astronomical midpoints rather than closish, but having holidays at the start of the month is also easy to remember. I also take note of the new and full moon.

So far I like having reminders to see what’s going on outside frequently during the year. I have lived in Tennessee for years now and all I’ve really done is complain that it doesn’t snow or get cold enough and that ai miss fall actually being cool rather than barely tolerable, etc. But in the few months I’ve been paying more attention I have to appreciate that Tennessee is nice too. I never have to snow blow my driveway and I rarely worry about black ice. We’ve never lost power for weeks after an ice storm and had to huddle around a single kerosene heater. We don’t even get tornadoes as bad here as I used to since it isn’t very flat where I am. And there are a lot more trees and outdoor paths. So far that’s what I’m appreciating. I’m not really fussing too hard about the fact that the climate is wrong. It was wrong where I grew up too for the true meanings. But I like checking in regularly.

• I tend to really enjoy Halloween/Samhain and for years I have also celebrated All Saints Day and All Souls Day as well. I also make a big production out of Christmas which I intend to spread to Yule. I basically celebrate Christmas until after the new year. Sometimes a full week into January.

• Right now I’m pretty casual. I basically just note their existence. I tried cooking some recipes for Litha and Lughnasadh and I sat around a little bonfire on both. I also took longer walks. For the new and full moon so far I just take baths and go outside to look at it. It is nice to get outside more and I feel like it’s helping my depression a little.

10 Likes

Welcome, Pouncequick!

Although the entry deadline has indeed ended, additional thoughts and experiences are most welcome- thank you for sharing how you celebrate your holidays and year :heart:

From someone who grew up in New England, I can attest that no black ice is a blessing indeed! :raised_hands: :grin:

I think it’s really powerful that you connected with the special benefits of your current local area and found gratitude for the positive things- it sounds like you have chosen many wonderful holidays and attributes of each season to bring you joy!

7 Likes

This challenge and its discussion period have closed- but no worries! You can visit the Activities Category to find and join the current challenge :trophy: (If you’d like to respond to any posts shared here, please feel free to do so in a new discussion or via Private Message :incoming_envelope: Thank you!)