šŸ“ŗ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Witchy Media

I have always had an interest in all things magical - my sister is 10 years older than me, and is Wiccan. She began when she was around 17/18, so I was very young - and we shared a bedroom. I stole her Solitary Witch book and found a passion. I grew up with a love for Fantasy, even to this day, if a book is magical and has vampires, elves, and maybe a hot fae - itā€™s my kinda book. The first fantasy book I fell in love with was Spellfall by Katherine Roberts. I remember checking it out from the library so often, the book basically fell apart. I remember the cover had a unicorn on it and my childhood heart was obsessed. I am in my thirties now, and I still gravitate towards the fantasy books. Anything with a little magic. Another series I adored growing up was The Night World series and The Secret Circle series by T. J. Smith. And the House of Night series by P.C Cast.

Like a lot of people - I fell in love with Charmed, Harry Potter and all of those shows.

Some of my favourite Witchy books on my Kindle are:

• A Tea Witches Grimoire.
  • The Eclectic Witchā€™s Book of Shadows by Deborah Blake.
  • Faery by John T Kruse.
  • The Witches Cookbook by Fortuna Noir.
  • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
  • and my number 1 series ever - The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. This world captured my heart. It has everything a fantasy nerd loves.

As for TV shows and moviesā€¦

• Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Sabrina was one of my fave shows growing up, this darker version fits my emo kid aesthetic and I love it so much!
  • The Worst Witch - still a classic.
  • Merlin.
  • Shadowhunters - not necessarily witches, although there are warlocks, but the is an adaption of my all time favourite book series.
  • Charmed - as I mentioned, but OG not remake.

I have a thousand other books (literally, my Kindle has over 1k books on it - anything from fantasy, romance (a lot of spice - donā€™t judge me!) and cookery, I hoard books!) and itā€™s almost impossible to name the ones I love.

<3 thanks for listening to the ramblings of a fantasy nerd.

13 Likes

Much of my media inspiration comes from The chilling adventures of Sabrina, some of the books that I would look at that my mother had, she was interested in witchcraft but never followed through with it. LOTR, Salem, numerous American Indian movies.

11 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if anyone else mentioned this app. Itā€™s called #SelfCare. Itā€™s about doing daily activities to get you out of a funk. Itā€™s helped me lighten my mood many times! Thereā€™s a virtual altar, pick a card tarot, plant divination, petting your cat, crystals, bubbles, moon phases, lighting a candle and meditating on your intent, even daily chores such as picking up laundry. Most of all, itā€™s about taking time for yourself. When you complete the tasks, you get an object for your altar.
Here are a couple photos from my game:

14 Likes

OOooh this looks great! Thank you for sharing. Iā€™m downloading it now :pink_heart:

10 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

ā†’ Tuesday, April 11 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)

My read/watch list seems to have been hit with a growth spell- there are so many great shows, movies, books, apps, channels, and much more being shared! :grinning: Thank you so much to everyone who has shared their favorite witchy media so far- I can tell that many of these things are very close to the heart :heart: Itā€™s an honor to hear about them!

If you havenā€™t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so!

Blessed Be! :tv::sparkles:

11 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY
I love picking out magic detail in witchy movies. My favorite is Harry Potter but unfortunately I canā€™t really remember very many right now. (My Harry Potter memories better not be gone **** it lol) As much as I love a Harry Potter marathon, my head canā€™t handle that much screen time or binge reading time right now so weā€™re stuck with what I can remember.

One that jumps out at me of course is that Elder wood is respected almost to the point of fear.
Iā€™ve seen a version of the Wiccan Rede that in place of ā€œā€¦burn it not or cursed beā€ is ā€œā€¦round it thrice and leave it beā€ not a popular opinion but it is respected in the movie just the same.

There are 7 years of school as in 7 degrees in some teachings.

The Vail as an entrance to Summerland, Hall of Souls and what have you

The idea of Pure Blood could be seen similar to the thoughts of some that the only real Witches are Hereditary Witches.

Moving onā€¦

Benjamin Christensenā€™s, HƤxan is considered by some to be the one from which all others came in terms of Witchy movies

There is some historically accurate detail about Salem in Hocus Pocus that give it a nice witchy touch.

Three Mothers trilogy is almost witchcraft formed into fiction

The are a few fictionalized references to witchcraft in Twitches

The Crucible has an extra witchy feel with itā€™s rather accurate detail of The Salem Witch Trial

Bedknobs and Broomsticks. The bedknob with itā€™s being imbued with intention and itā€™s activation certainly make the spell feel like a Spell. And the average woman who has the ability to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary rather like all of us.

If you were trying to find witchcraft in every movie you could sight The Wizard of Oz only in that a witch can choose to be good or evil.

Another perhaps reach is Tinkerbell. Yes, Tinkerbell. If you look at the different types of fairies, Fast-flying (wind that can cause both good and destruction) Water, Animal and so on, one could see them as different Goddesses. And the Dust Keepers could be seen as protectors of Tree of Life.

The book series Hollows by Kim Harrison has witchcraft pretty much on every page. It is my absolute favorite book series, unfortunately that and one part that is a rather accurate description of Hedge Magic are pretty much all I remember. I guess Iā€™ll have to buy all of the books whether I have read them or not :laughing:

13 Likes

You can always read Harry Potter fanfiction to see if you remember canon. And itā€™s usually better than the books anyways. LOL!

9 Likes

@Amethyst I actually tried that but I couldnā€™t find anything useful. I found one that was confusing Harry Potter with another series and I gave up

10 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Witchy Media Entry

WitchyMedia
Image Credit

My World :earth_americas: of Witchy :broom: Media :cd: :books: :tv: :film_projector: Magick :sparkles:

When I was a young girl, before I went to school, my mother made me an Angel Costume for a Christmas program at our Church. I remember distinctly how much I didnā€™t want to do that! Then I was a princess one Halloween, but it just didnā€™t feel right, so I never did that again :rofl: Then I was a witch, and that felt natural to meā€¦ still does in fact!

I was an only child, so my (invisible) friends and I played for hours. And it was magical! I love playing and just being in nature, and I still do. It heals me and nourishes my soul. When I found my first 4 leaf clover, it was magical!

Maybe a lot of people, donā€™t see it, but magic is everywhere, it is all around us, I can feel it in my fingers and my toes! Itā€™s my truest companion! I have seen many things that I cannot explain, but yet, I know itā€™s magic. It is my destiny.

As a teenager, I managed to acquire a few books and tools. There was not a lot to be found in those days. When I was older, I would go to the Library and check out witchy books, from the small collection there. I loved watching everything magical on television as well.

Nowadays, we have a plethora of witchy media. Itā€™s everywhere! Itā€™s on Television, in Movies, on so many websites, and apps on my phone. How magical all this is! We are truly blessed at this time! I am so very thankful for all the information at my fingertips. But I must warn you to be discerning. Be careful, and check your sources, not everyone out there has your best interests in mind. Use your intuition, and follow your heart! :pink_heart: If it doesnā€™t feel right in your gut, then donā€™t do it.

In my entry, this week, I wanted to do something different, so I decided to share my story with you!

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

11 Likes

Ah, it gets weird out there in fanfiction land. Just pm me if you want any recs to read. Sometimes they are very good and theyā€™re free! Sometimes they are very bad, but theyā€™re still free. LOL!

8 Likes

@Missa ā€“ Ohh my goodness, I forgot about a few of these. I remember watching Twitches and Twitches, Too :laughing: That was like a forgotten memory. Iā€™ll have to show my daughter!

@Melora_Fae ā€“ Kikiā€™s Delivery Service is on my list of movies to watch. I havenā€™t actually watched it before! :astonished: To be honest, my first Ghibli movie was last year ā€“ I watched Howlā€™s Moving Castle and fell in love! :heart_eyes:

@kimberly57 ā€“ Audiobooks are so underrated! I donā€™t have Audible but I listen to some audiobooks on Scribd. And podcasts are great! I meanā€¦I host one :sweat_smile: so I may be a little biased, but podcasts were my introduction to the online witchy world, and then I started my own! Iā€™m glad you found some new things to check out :clap: :heart:

@Nyxie_Rose ā€“ Shadowhunters is so good! I read the first few books, but after that the books became hard for me to read. They just couldnā€™t keep my attention :sweat_smile: I remember reading The House of Night series, too, but only the first few books. Iā€™ve been meaning to go back and read them again! And donā€™t worry, Iā€™m in my 30s too and I still gravitate toward fantasy and YA books ā€“ nothing wrong with that!

@christina4 ā€“ That looks like such a cute game! I may have to check that out :heart:

11 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

The forum has become quite trendy this week- thank you so much to everyone who joined in to celebrate witchy culture in the media! I know Iā€™ve added a whole bunch of things to my to-read and to-watch lists- I hope everyone else has had fun and found some exciting new recommendations to enjoy as well! :blush::sparkles:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : To avoid confusion, this discussion will be locked until the Props and Presents post appears. At that time, this thread will reopen for discussion for a few more days- comments are welcome during this time, but please note that no additional prizes will be given.

Thanks again for joining in the challenge! :partying_face:

Blessed be! :tv::sparkles:

9 Likes

The challenge deadline has passed- thank you to everyone who joined in! :sparkles:

This topic is reopening for any continued discussion and comments (feel free to respond to entries that were shared, chat about the challenge theme, etc!)

The Props and Presents Post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to all entrants! :trophy:

ā†’ Props and Presents for the Witchy Media Challenge

Thank you once again to all those who joined the challenge! :star2: I hope you enjoy your new badge :medal_military:

This thread has been reopened for discussion- feel free to comment on the theme, ask questions or reply to entries! However, please remember that no additional prizes will be given out now that the challenge has officially closed. Thank you!

9 Likes

@MeganB Haha yes! I almost forgot about it as well. Then I got to thinking man this was my childhood haha. I think both are on disney+ last time I checked!

8 Likes

I think my daughter would love those movies :laughing: Iā€™m gonna look later today!

6 Likes

I would love to know the name of your podcast and where i can go to listen to it.

7 Likes

Of course! Here are my links :blush:

Podcast: 'Round the Cauldron ā€¢ A podcast on Spotify for Podcasters
YouTube: Megan Black - 'Round the Cauldronā„¢ - YouTube

8 Likes

This challenge and its discussion period have closed- but no worries! You can visit the Activities Category to find and join the current challenge :trophy: (If youā€™d like to respond to any posts shared here, please feel free to do so in a new discussion or via Private Message :incoming_envelope: Thank you!)