What and When Questions

Merry Meet all!

I need a little guidance because I feel like I’ve been researching/learning and have a pretty good handle understanding what I need to understand so that I can begin doing. However, I’m not sure what to do!!

I’m more or less looking to make myself a “schedule” that is VERY loose. I want to set aside time each day to grow in the craft but where do I start? What do I need to include weekly, monthly, and daily?

I like to sleep in, but I’m hoping that I will be motivated to get up earlier and spend some time in the mornings practicing, and then I usually have a small block of time most evenings.

I guess what I’m asking for are ideas of things that I should be doing moving forward. Meditating, working with my tarot cards, building my book of shadows, researching different herbs, and crystals, paying attention to the moon cycles, and performing rituals when appropriate, spell jars and spells . . . those are all of the things I feel I know about - but I’m kind of lost on how to put it all into practice!

I don’t know if this will make sense - I hope it doesn’t sound like crazy rambling! I did look at a post on incorporating the craft in everyday life that mentioned how to stir things, and how to meditate while doing things to focus on removing negative. I’m baptized Catholic and if you know Catholics (or were one) you know that there is a great deal of structure in church services. I guess I might be craving that kind of structure.

Thank you in advance for all of your support and kind words. I have really enjoyed everyone that I have had the pleasure of talking to on this forum!

Janene

9 Likes

Well, I started the same way you have and I’ve been like that for years. But when I had the opportunity to go through Spells8 and go on the front page and it says start that was start for me. I just follow through and do everything it tells you to do. It will just start a routine for you. You get so interested in reading everything & learning about things you never knew. That you begin to want to keep up with it all! then you’re gonna keep doing it daily and then it’s just a routine that you do naturally. I’m still in the process of learning so much. But you know what it’s addicting and it’s a good addiction to have just try it.

Blessed Be! :smiley:

9 Likes

Hello from a fellow non-morning person and Cathothic-convert! I am about two years into my craft and am still working to build daily routines (mostly because things keep changing, and I have a bad habit of being a perfectionist).

Two of the things I do incorporate daily are the Daily Ritual and Lunar Spell that are provided here on Spells8. These are great ways to incorporate meditation and small spells into your daily routine.

Beyond that, I would suggest starting small. You mentioned many things, so I would pick one and find a way to incorporate that into your life every day for one month. Once that becomes a habit, you can pick another thing. One of the great things about The Craft is there is no “right” way of doing things - do what you are called to do.

Some things that I have incorporated into my days are as follows:

• Performing a 3-card tarot reading. I will either do this first thing in the morning or right before bed.
  • Stirring my coffee with my intentions for the day.
  • Praying to my deities and my ancestors each morning and night.
  • Making an offering to my deities and ancestors daily. Depending on the deity and ancestors, this could be dark red wine and dark chocolate, water and bread, lighting their candles, or doing an act in their honor. I work with Hades and Hel, so I also offer animal bones or dead insects, dead flowers, cleaning headstones at a cemetery/graveyard, and other things related to death
  • READ, READ, READ. I am constantly reading more about everything. Whether it is a quick blog post or video about a topic or reading a book that has caught my eye, I am always trying to learn more. I have a science background and a natural thirst for knowledge. I believe the only time you stop learning is when you die. I try to participate in the coven’s Book Club as much as possible.
  • Spend time in nature. I live in Houston, so this is a big one for me. I try to take at least 5 minutes daily and spend it in nature. This can be as simple as me standing in my little patch of grass barefoot to going for a “hike” in a local park (I use the quotation marks because there are not any hills around here, so it is more like a walk, lol)

Some other ideas could be keeping up with astrology and how it impacts your day/week/month if that interests you. You can incorporate glamour or kitchen magick.

9 Likes

I find I’m not a ‘routine’ person per se. I do things when I feel. But I’ve always been like that and why Catholicism wasn’t for me. I am not a go every Sunday girl. I am a go with the flow girl.

I have found I do the lunar spells often. Cleansing baths are a def go to. Tarot readings when I feel the need and putting intention into my morning coffee.

From there, I just I just follow what I feel I need. Spells 8 def was a great start for me like others have mentioned

10 Likes

Hello there, Janene! :wave:

This is a wonderful question – one I have often asked myself, especially now that my daughter wants to learn witchcraft and paganism :sweat_smile: but this is a rough question! It’s not because the answer is difficult. It’s because the answer is going to depend a lot on what you’re interested in, what you believe, and the time you have!

Here is the plan I would suggest to follow based on how my brain works and categorizes information.

First, make a list of everything you think you need to know.

Then take this list and cross out anything you’re really not interested in. Don’t cross out anything you’re unsure of, just the things you really don’t care about. For example, if you put crystals on your list but you don’t care about crystals? Don’t learn about them! It’s not necessary.

After you’ve got your list narrowed down, figure out what you’re most interested in and start there. Don’t overload yourself with a bunch of information. One topic at a time is plenty of information to begin with.

When a sabbat comes around, or some holiday or moon phase you’re interested in learning about, take a few days and learn about just that thing.

The main piece of advice I can give you for study is to take it slow and don’t overload yourself with information. That’s one of the first and easiest methods to lead to burnout – and we don’t want that!

I have a video on my YouTube channel that you might find helpful in regard to building a daily practice. I’ll link it here for you, too, but I can definitely relate to wanting structure! It’s something I’m still trying to implement in my day :laughing:

I have a video for that on my channel!

How to Create Your DAILY Witchcraft Practice || make a daily practice that works for you [CC] - YouTube

9 Likes

I’m weird. I get up very early thanks to an odd sleep schedule so I have time in the mornings to cast a circle, pull a tarot card and oracle card, meditate and if I want do whatever magic that calls to me. Make a cup of tea and drink it. Things like that.

I grew up Methodist, and I sat down to write a morning ritual that I liked that gave me the comfort of religion without all the dogma. And no off-key singing! LOL! Ultimately it’s up to you what you incorporate, so you can work on it, add a better circle casting or a different morning prayer. It’s totally up to you!

9 Likes

That is a good idea, developing a routine. I think to be most successful, you might piggy back your witchy works to things you like to do and interests you already have. You know that expression about taking to something lije a duck takes to water? Start with what you feel yourself gravitating toward.

That way the habit has a better chance at sticking and youll be more likely to do your routines. For example, ive been fascinated with stories, myths and holiday customs practically since i could read. So, sabbats, the Hellenic pantheon and such are a natural fit for me.

The weekly witchy challenges help me branch out and try new things, like Tarot, pendulum work, runes, etc. I am sure you will have no trouble but i would love to hear about the routines you devise, I may copy you!

7 Likes

Hi I’m Christeena, and I’m 42, a mother of 2 adult sons. One is a paramedic/firefighter, and the other is a Marine. I live in a very very small town in Central North Carolina with my hubby of 21 yrs, our 2 dogs and 3 cats. I was raised Pentacostal and was always told that my gifts were evil, so they were suppressed til just a few yrs ago when i finally accepted all of myself. It has been an amazing journey with alot of bumps along the way. But it’s all worth it bc for the 1st time in 42 yrs i feel whole.

I have a HUGE affinity for herbs, I commune with spirits, and my guides. I’m a daughter of Hekate, The Morrigan, and Thor. I will help anyone, usually to my own detriment. But I’m still just gonna do me. If you ask me a question please be prepared for an honest answer. Sometimes brutally honest, as I am blunt. I don’t sugar coat things. Here you will find so many like minded brothers and sisters who will welcome and accept all of you with open arms without condescension. If you have questions all you have to do is ask. We are all here to help each other. You will find people from all walks of life and paths. Again, welcome!!!

7 Likes

I got this planner, it was a free download and had lots of interesting things in it. Give it a look, see.
Garnet

6 Likes

My opinion for a baby witch is to not overwhelm yourself. Start small. If u have children set a time when they are napping during the day to do the Daily Ritual, or time after they go to bed for the lunar spell. Many baby witches think that spells are most important and I don’t believe this. I believe that you must set a time each night to honor the lady and the Lord and show gratitude for all that you have. Spend time working on your divinity and aligning your Chakras. Decorate your alter and just give thanks. Some witches only cast a circle when they are in need of something and in 25 years of practicing I can tell you that showing gratitude and appreciation to our God and Goddess after casting a circle has brought me nothing short of miracles. Also, pick a different herb and crystal for each day or per week and study and research. Knowing our ingredients is not an easy feat, and though we can depend on Google for a lot, it’s better to take ur answers from within. Trust me on this. I have had a long wild ride and this is the way to go. Especially if you have children start small so ur not growing disappointed with yourself. We grow and we learn every single day, it’s the witches way. :grin: Spend time growing your own herbs and cleansing and charging your crystals and honing your divinity, and I recommend that you dabble in all and stick with what you like. Tarot, pendulums, and Runes and very powerful for me. Most importantly spend time quieting your mind every single day and watch ur craft change. It sounds crazy but keep an open mind. I HIGHLY recommend Vishen Lakhiani’s Silva Mind Control Method course on MindValley or the book of the same name by Jose Silva. This course or book teaches you how to eventually reach your “center” like this 3,3,3. 2,2,2. 1,1,1. And bam after doing the cebtering excersise a couple times you are able to reach Alpha brain state with 9 numbers. Total game changer for my craft. I hope this helps. I’m here if u have any questions. Blessed be!

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.