What's your Favorite Movie? (Witchy or Not)

Dear Witches! I am looking for movies that have great messages or moments to learn from.

Mine would be “Groundhog Day”, the day is coming soon (Feb. 2) and that’s an awesome movie! It’s funny but deep at the same time: Showing kindness to others in order to move on in life.

What is your favorite movie?

6 Likes

Ok, so I know you said witchy or not, but I absolutely love Practical Magic. It has been one of my favorite movies almost my entire life. The aunts in that movie are role models to me, and the home they live in - surrounded by herbs and ingredients that they know about and how to use - brings me a sense of homesickness that I can’t quite place.

I aspire to be like them one day, to have the ingredients and herbs and plants, the attitude of not caring, and the patience to know when lessons need to be learned.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m watching the trailer and it looks like my kind of movie!

“Magic isn’t just spells and potions!” - Thanks for the recommendation!

10 Likes

I definitely recommend you watch it!

4 Likes

I have never seen this but I will add this on my list of movies to watch! :slight_smile: woo!

4 Likes

You’ve never seen Practical Magic?! Oh my goodness, it is one of my absolute favorite movies and I watch it every time I see it on TV.

4 Likes

Oh me too! Love that movie

3 Likes

@MeganB Practical Magic is awsome!

I totally understand what you mean :star_struck:

@Francisco
Personally my favourite movie of all time is The Goonies, followed shortly by Braveheart, Dragonheart and Ladyhawke :black_heart:

I love all the Epic Sagas, such as The Lord of The Rings or Star Wars and Alien. :alien:

I love also videogames related movies, like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and The Last Starfighter. :space_invader:

I am probably the last one standing that still buys DVD :laughing:

6 Likes

I don’t have a single favourite film. I love a variety; anything with Leonardo Dicaprio or Johnny Deep in, I love Shutter Island, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean.

All Tarinto films! :heart: Especially Django, I also really enjoy Guy Richie films; Snatch and Rock n Rolla.

I also like superhero films like Suicide Squad and Deadpool, I’m a bit of a geek so fantasy is up there, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter :zap:

For a weepy I like The Green Mile, The Colour Purple or Marley and me, the only films that have ever made me cry!! :sob: I think they all have important messages; like judging someone based on appearances and learning just how cruel some people are, so it’s really important to be kind, always, and chase the darkness away. Also Marley & Me just the pure love and strength of bond you can form with an animal :broken_heart:

Favourite childhood films include Space Jam, The Goonies, Adams Family, Hocus Pocus, Jumanji, Aladdin and Robin Hood :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

For a good creepy film I like IT and The Conjuring- especially the 2nd one as I’m obsessed with the story of The Enfield Haunting :ghost:

5 Likes

Nice choices, @Oh_My_Wonderland! :grin: :+1:

It sounds like you’re a big movie fan, @Abs53! :blush: :two_hearts: And omg so many wonderful classics- all excellent movies!

For me, I’m a huge fantasy fan! Altough I prefer the books to the movies, you’ve got another vote for Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter from me :sparkles:. I also loved The Thief Lord- one of those movies you can watch a million times.

I grew up on the Studio Ghibli movies- I can’t even tell you how many times my sister and I watched Totoro and Spirited Away! I love the happy, but gentle life lessons and peaceful magical ambience of these movies :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

@MeganB :wave: fellow Practical Magic Lover here! :laughing: I even got the soundtrack many years ago!
One of the best!

4 Likes

In case any of you like watching darker movies or horror films, I can recommend The VVitch! Here is the trailer. The movie follows a Puritan family in New England in the 1630s, who, after being banished from their colony due to a religious dispute, build a farm near a large, secluded forest :evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Looks interesting! I’ve heard people say it’s great but also that it’s boring. What did you think about it?

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s boring at all! I guess it depends a bit on what kind of movie you’re expecting; if you’re in the mood for a more main stream horror film with lots of jump scares and monsters, then this definitely isn’t the right choice.
While there are some gruesome scenes in The VVitch, the horror is more subtle in a way. But the story is told very intelligently and the actors are brilliant! I also loved the ending :grin:
you should give it a go :blush:

3 Likes

Yes, I much prefer a solid movie with great photography (like the trailer seems to be!) than jump scares and cheap effects. I’ll give it a try! Thanks for the recommendation!

4 Likes

I’m coming in late here, didn’t see this post until today. My favorite movie is either The Princess Bride or the Muppet Christmas Carol. Either one I can watch over and over.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh the Princess Bride is such a classic, @kassie! :clap: :laughing: :two_hearts: I’ve seen it more times than I can count and it’s always hilarious! Same with Monty Python and the Holy Grail- a million views and it’s still fun to watch :grin:

2 Likes

@BryWisteria I consider The Princess Bride to be the perfect movie. I know they were talking about rebooting it last fall, which I’m glad they pretty much stopped. The fans, and the actors, went nuts. It’s perfect as it is.

I like The Holy Grail too, I’ve got it on DVD.

3 Likes

I had no idea they were trying to reboot it!!! :astonished: Oh, I’m glad they stopped. Some things are already perfect and better to leave them be! :+1: There’s no way a remake or sequal could possibly outshine the first movie- it’s just that good! Ready to be enjoyed for many years to come :grin::movie_camera::popcorn:

1 Like

I don’t know about Francisco, but now I am super curios about this movie :blush: :laughing:

4 Likes