When did you know you wanted to be a witch?

Hmm. Hard to say. I’ve been fascinated since I could read. I loved books about witches who were my age, and of course, Bewitched. I had a kitchen witch doll I loved and dressed as a witch for Halloween usually. I was really into werewolves and werewolf lore, vampire movies, Halloween when I was still a young child. I didn’t really get into witchcraft until a friend told me she was a witch, though. She gave me a baby witch kit, a Romany spell book and did my first Tarot card reading - I guess that was 15 years ago. But I wasn’t serious about any of it even then, just fascinated. Then, a therapist recommended I start a hobby about 3 or 4 years ago, so I started collecting rocks, which turned into a crystal collection, and I got back into the craft through that, because one of the places I bought crystals was a witchcraft supply shop. I had a lot of downtime during the pandemic and Spells8 really was, for me, so accessible in its format and the lessons and all. I think I joined as a member a year or so ago

10 Likes

I was born this way. From the time I can remember sitting with my Grand Mother then my Aunt. They knew who I was and they cultivated in me what they knew I would be.

8 Likes

My precious Stephanie, Never be ashamed of the truth. It is we who are blessed with you and your new and interesting ideas and questions.
Thank you for joining our family.
Blessed be, Be safe, spread your magical wings and fly!
Garnet

8 Likes

When I found out someone was using black magick on me :weary::joy: so I said this is interesting let me send that shit back and read all about it and been glued to it ever since, except I don’t believe in doing dark spells on ppl I just want to help myself out and see a different world that others don’t see and I’m gonna keep my faith in the universe and see what happens for me

9 Likes

Aww @Garnet, you and everyone here in the coven are the blessing! I don’t feel alone anymore. And I am forever grateful for all of you!

7 Likes

well my whole life ive always been connected to nature. i spent most of my childhood years hiding in the woods that surounded our ranch. but at one point the woods started to make me feel safe even in the pitch black dark. and ive always been able to read people like i can just feel if there dangourous or not and weirdly animals have always had a close connection to me. once or twice i was stood face to face with a wolf. so to sum up i guess ive always been a witch, just never knew it. plus add into that of my obsession with greek and celtic lore aswell as the story of lilith. i often go to christan churches with friends who are christan and often i spend my time trying to find any knolage on lilith in there books. i know in there books shes called a demon. but i just want to piece together her whole story. so ive almost always wanted to be a witch just never really had a proper term for it.

10 Likes

Nikita, A love of nature is Magick in itself. Well met little sister.

9 Likes

when I first picked up the book - Witchcraft in England - not a historical novel by far!!!

Then came the push into normal living, get married , have kids, etcetera. Rediscovered my true calling about 1998, was called a heathen by my sons, disowned/ostracized the lot (still am) but I stayed fast and true and now I am here.
Albeit a bit late (again - my life story - LOL)
Let’s face it society as a whole does not approve of Wicca. It still carries a lot of the stigma from the Dark Ages.

7 Likes

I think back in middle school i was looking for a new book to read at the public library and stumbled upon wicca and witchcraft and occult books and i was very intrigued and started reading them and found that almost every book i read made me more and more intrested and later i realized some magical things ive always been able to do. And decided to look further into wicca. Add in my obsession with greek stories and my connection with nature it just felt right

7 Likes

Hi Da1,
As with any of the ‘old countries’ there is always a wealth of legends of good and evil. Some believe that all legends have a grain of truth. Grimm’s fairy tales were not Disney sweet, they were terrible stories where good did not always win out.
Romania has some really frightening stories. Many people take these as Gospel. And others are so steeped in the dogma of their religious beliefs. This unfortunately breeds and reinforces fear, paranoia and intolerance for those of us that are ‘different’.
I’ve never welcomed you but I want you to know that here, you are safe, among like believing people. Ostracization isn’t an easy thing to live with for anyone. In your case, I’m so sorry that your family has been so intolerant to you and your beliefs. It’s hard.
My family has always thought of me as ‘that eccentric Aunt’ at best and a Nut Bunny at worst.
You are welcomed here with tolerance, patience and love. We would love to hear of your practice and stories. We also love new “blood” as it were, it keeps us all thinking and seeking.
Thank you for you story.
Blessed be little sister
Garnet

7 Likes

Funny how Romania was cited as my Oma’s side of family hails from that part of the world. :slight_smile:

As for me being a little sister- i will wager all my possessions, wealth and talents that I am considerably older than yourself and resemble more of the Crone than the maiden LOL.

Thank you for your kind words.

LL

7 Likes

No need to wager for something so small, Sweetling. I turned 74 this year. Some say it sucks getting old, but I guess I look at it as a blessing. So many never made it this far.
Be blessed and stay a while.
Garnet

6 Likes

To be honest i never ‘wanted’ to be a witch i just realised one day that i had always been one! I knew deep down that i was a witch and could feel that i had something amazing but never truly followed up on my intuition until last year i started researching after an in-law was talking about shamans and BAM!!! Nothing made clearer sense to me in my whole life and i could connect things i was previously confused about to my newly found practice.
To top things off i had a bit of a ‘down’ period struggling with depression but the craft not only helped me out of that but also gave me the motivation i always lacked to loose the 42kgs i need to loose!
I will be forever grateful for being a witch and finding my true path and will never look back even when i feel other priorities want to take over. I am a witch full stop :blush:

7 Likes

Theo! What a wonderful story!
Garnet

5 Likes

Amethyst your snake story is Great.
We were so poor that mom took old pillow cases for me, cut holes for eyes and mouth and called me ghost.
My brothers got actual sheet for their ghost. It was fun.

6 Likes

Sounds like stories my Dad would tell me, except his sheets were usually not white in his stories. Hard to be a scary ghost when you’re in a baby blue sheet!

6 Likes

I’ve always been drawn to witches, but because I took my Christian faith very seriously, I refrained from searching for anything witchy, such as they how lived and practiced. But once I left Christianity and the pandemic started, that’s when I finally decided to take the first steps to becoming one myself.

7 Likes

@Kasandra
I’ve heard so many people asking if they have to give up Christianity to be a witch, but you know, honey, it isn’t a matter of either / or situation.
I was raised Catholic, changed to Methodist (married by mistake), then became Baptist. All of these denominations told me this is right and this is wrong. It took me half a century to grow a brain.
Talk about an amazing journey. Then as my Golden years were creeping up, I gave myself permission to study the craft. I am totally an Eclectic, Solitary Practitioner.
Yet still having been so deeply indoctrinated in Christianity, I often have pause. I AM the daughter of the Goddess and her consort. In a time when men 'owned women and children, in a male oriented society I can understand why many rules were set down, for the well being of the weak and innocent. But if you study the Vatican and its residents since Peter…these were not always good men.

“Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
was first written by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, also known as Lord Acton, in 1887. Absolute power corrupts absolutely - Idioms by The Free Dictionary.
I personally take anything I’m told with a grain of salt. If it rings true, I follow it, if it doesn’t I throw it away.
Always follow your heart but know you don’t have to lose or give up anything.
Your Soul is precious in our site.
Blessed be
Garnet

8 Likes

Wow everyone experience was beautiful :heartbeat: in my own, don’t ever think of saying anything about witchcraft if not u will be dragged to to the church and be regarded as OGBANJE and be delivered :joy::joy:
I kept mine a secret, I found out because am always lightening matchstick and saying commanding words" I want u to do as I say" gradually I secretly bought candles and hid them in a carton where I go each day to say scary stuffs, I planted ginger in a glass bottle and watered it but it didn’t really grow cause I hid it in the carton too, but now am a free WITCH, :heartbeat:

6 Likes

I went to a Catholic school and I would question a lot of what I was taught as the faith, and I would talk about how I loved the moon :full_moon: and felt drawn to it… suffice to say the teachers were not thrilled at the time :joy: I was around 4 or 5 then, I didn’t identify as a “witch” but I knew I was “different” and I quietly did my own thing.

I adopted Paganism as a teenager, everything made more sense and I went from there :full_moon_with_face:

8 Likes