Where do I start?

Hi!My name is April. I’m from Alabama and somewhat new to the craft. I’m very familiar with the craft, just never tool an active role til now. I don’t know what i was so afraid of! As with just about any southern bred girl, i was afraid of hell! Ridiculous i know. I’m 44 now though and I’m sickof sitting on the sidelines. It’s my time. I know it in my soul that this is where i belonged all along!!! I need so much help tho! Really cant focus on what to do and where to start…trying not to get overwhelmed!

12 Likes

Hello April and welcome! I am from Texas and didn’t start practicing until 39/40 myself, even though I was exposed to it through my mother when I was a teenager. As another southerner, I can tell you that fear can be really daunting!

As for where to start, I recommend the Spells 8 Wicca Self Initiation course. It does a great job of covering the basics and you can go at your own pace. From there, you can explore all the other courses offered in the Spells8 Online Witchcraft Courses. There are also the Daily Devotional and Lunar Spell that you can start doing right away as well. These are great “get your feet wet” activities and I still do them on a regular basis. Everything you need and how to perform the devotional/spell are included for that day.

The Infinite Roots forum is also a great source of information. Everyone is always willing to help and share what knowledge they have with others. I’m sure others will add information I have missed.

Merry Meet!
Jessica

8 Likes

Hi @april25! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

The best place to start is with the Wicca Self-Initiation Course. It will take you step by step through the beginning of the courses. That way you can find your feet and figure out what you want to do.

Also, read this week’s Merry Meet Monday post. It will let you know what’s going on in the coven and what kind of activities we’re doing so you can jump in.

If you have any questions just ask and someone will pop up to help you out. I look forward to getting to know you better!

9 Likes

Welcome April! Glad you’re here. I started late too and felt I had to catch up, so I was reading everything I could get my hands on to learn! Lol But You’ll learn so much here with the courses and everyone’s knowledge of the craft.

8 Likes

Hi April, I an too an ‘old baby witch’. I am 49 and like you fear kept me away. As for finding ‘where to go’, what is your passion? Grow your craft around that :grin:. There is no right or wrong way as long as it is done with respect. This goes to land, spirits, culture, etc…

9 Likes

One thought – and I do agree that the initiation course are fantastic - is that when you try anything new, play to your strengths and preferences, because you’ll enjoy it more and build confidence, which will allow you to try new things.

For example, if you love to knit, then you might gravitate to knot spells.
If you are a talented cook or have a green thumb, you might start with green witchery.
If you are a teacher or librarian, you might like researching history, legends and lore.
If you are a creative person, you might look at ways to incorporate music or art into your works.
If you are a Pisces, then psychic work and divination is for you! LOL, JK. Well, kinda…
Etc.!

Have fun with it :slight_smile: and welcome, @april25

9 Likes

Merry meet @april25 :blush:

Welcome to the forum- we’re blessed to have you here! Congrats to you for taking that first big step and following your heart into magick. Like others have said, no one is ever “too old” to begin their magickal journey, I believe you get started when the time is right for you! May your path be long and full of joy :sparkling_heart:

Others have already shared some helpful resources and advice for you- adding to what they’ve said, please know that the Q&A Category is there for you whenever you find yourself with a question. After all, the best resource is the coven community itself! :smile: There are folks here from all over the world, at all stages of their magickal journey, and specializing in everything imaginable- just ask and you will be sure to gain a collection of advice, suggestions, and opinions from the coven :infinite_roots:

Looking forward to talking with you more soon- Blessed be, April! :sparkles:

6 Likes

Welcome, April from Alabama.
I’m Marsha from Colorado. It’s never too late, your timing is perfect.
With much love :heart:

6 Likes

For example, if you love to knit, then you might gravitate to knot spells.

@mary25 Hey Mary, are you by any chance a knitter too?

5 Likes

@april25 Hi! I am a new member too, and 45. I believe we have wisdom in us that will be valuable to everyone at some point, even if we are new right now, because everyone started exactly where we are now at some point in their life. Blessed be!

6 Likes

@Sophie2Wands I’m not and I wish I were! I thought I would learn during the pandemic and bought needes and everything :slight_smile: But we have some first class knitters crocheters here, I beieve1

5 Likes

I do knit & crochet. @MeganB & @IrisW also crochet. I like to do it when I’m watching TV at night or when I have spare time really. Since my craft stuff has been moved to a different set of locations, I can’t get to them easily enough to be able to use them at this time. It makes the afternoons a little tough because I’m done with everything else.

We will get down there & reorganize once it’s not so cold because I really miss doing my crafts.

5 Likes