Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Book Title : The Illustrated Key to the Tarot: The Veil of Divination

(This book is available to the public for free as an eBook through Project Gutenberg)

pg43548.cover.medium
[Pic from Project Gutenberg]

Author: L.W de Laurence

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book explores the Tarot in-depth. It explores the common symbolism of the cards, its history, different ways of reading, and more- it’s a very thorough guide to Tarot.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a fantastic book for any and all tarot readers hoping to learn more about the symbolism in the cards and gain inspiration about methods of reading. It is a very in-depth guide,

Two notes: one, the book is based solely on the Rider Waite Tarot. Much of the symbolism there will be present in other decks, but readers should also consult the guide books that accompany their other (non Rider White) decks.

Two, this book is very dated (that’s why it’s available for free!) so it is to be expected that the language and terminology can be a bit dry at times. None-the-less, it is fascinating to compare the symbolism interpretations in this book with modern interpretations (through Biddy Tarot and Spells8, for example) to see what has stuck over the years and what interpretations have changed/developed over time.

An interesting quote from the book: Here’s one of the reading methods suggested:

An Ancient Celtic Method of Reading

This mode of divination is the most suitable for obtaining an answer to a definite question. The Diviner first selects a card to represent the person or matter about which inquiry is made. This card is called the Significator. Should he wish to ascertain something in connection with himself he takes the one which corresponds to his personal description…

Having selected the Significator, place it on the table, face upwards. Then shuffle and cut the rest of the pack three times, keeping the faces of the cards downwards.

The book describes each of the next cards to be drawn in detail- basically you draw eight more cards to be arranged in the following diagram

The Significator.

1. What covers him.
  2. What crosses him.
  3. What crowns him.
  4. What is beneath him.
  5. What is behind him.
  6. What is before him.
  7. Himself.
  8. His house.
  9. His hopes or fears.
  10. What will come.

i_158

[From The Illustrated Key to the Tarot]

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! It’s a bit of a hard read for anyone who struggles to get through a book without a story and the dated writing style makes it a bit dry, but it’s a fantastic reference book for tarot :+1:

I wasn’t able to sit down and read the entire thing, but I’ll be checking back from time to time as I continue to expand my understanding of individual cards. Well worth checking out for any and all tarot readers! :grin:

8 Likes

It wasn’t even the magic stuff that set my hair on fire, it was her personal stuff. Oh well, not everyone can be Robert B. Parker or Rita Mae Brown. I’ve already got my next read planned and I’m looking forward to it! Thanks for the commiseration love! Glad your book turned out well!

5 Likes

Thanks, @Amethyst! :blush: And ohhh yes- sometimes adding personal stories goes well with the content of a book, but other times making a book about something else into an autobiography totally puts off the reader :woman_shrugging: I’ve got my fingers crossed your next read will be more fun for you! Enjoy! :heart::open_book:

6 Likes

I love your book review!! I think I may have to buy it! Thanks for the review!! :heartbeat::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you lovely,:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Sorry that this post is super early – I wanted to get it done while I was thinking about it so I can also (hopefully!) have time to read the other book (The House Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock) and still have plenty of time to focus on my schoolwork >.< Here’s my review of Cooling Herbs for Hot Summer Days!

Book title and author: Cooling Herbs for Hot Summer Days by Herbal Academy (no specific author listed)

My overall rating of the book: 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice? This book is a good source of inspiration to encourage me to explore herbalism more. I keep getting signs that are pointing me in the direction of learning more about herbs, and I very much identify as a Kitchen Witch so this topic is a great one for me to learn more about. Learning the chemical/medical properties of herbs in addition to the spiritual/metaphysical properties will allow me to incorporate more “stuff” into my cooking, baking, and magickal practice in general. To me, the scientific and metaphysical properties of things are very closely linked, so any information I got from this book will help me in my pursuit of magickal knowledge.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting, and – in case I haven’t said it enough already – has provided me with lots of inspiration to study herbalism further. I’m even considering taking an herbalism class or two!

I learned a lot from this book, and I feel like it had lots of information for how short it is. However, as a beginner in the study of herbs, it was almost a little overwhelming. It threw a bunch of herbalism jargon out there, but didn’t provide any information about what the terms meant, and I had to do a lot of Googling. I know that this was a freebie from an herbalism school, so it’s obviously not going to contain all the information because then people wouldn’t pay for the courses they offer, but that’s just something to keep in mind if you’re a beginner like I am.

An interesting quote from the book (or two :sweat_smile:)

Many cooling herbs have a demulcent or moistening property, which helps to ward off the dehydration that can occur in the heat of summer. Cooling demulcents include marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) root and hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa) calyx. Some astringent herbs also cool the body in this way— this may seem counterintuitive, as we often think about astringent herbs as drying, but as astringents work to tighten and tone tissues, they also help to preserve water inside the tissues. Thus, astringent herbs can also help to offset heat by keeping the body hydrated. Cooling astringents include rose (Rosa spp.) petal, raspberry (Rubus idaeus) leaf, and linden (Tillia spp.) bract and flower. (page 6)

I found the above quote interesting because it helps to explain why green tea is one of the suggested ingredients in the Bath Spell to Beat the Heat in a recent Spells8 email newsletter. Green tea has astringent properties, so because it “tightens and tones,” physically, it helps us seal in water, so we stay cool; by extension into the metaphysical, that property makes it an herb that has the potential to protect us from heating energies. :nerd_face: Here is a brief article that talks about the concept of heat/cold as it relates to bodily health in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

One way to spot cooling herbs and foods is by their flavor. While cooling herbs can vary in flavor, many of them have a sour taste. Sour-flavored herbs that are cooling include lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) leaf, rose (Rosa spp.) hip, hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa) calyx, and sour fruits like lemon, lime, blueberry, and more. (page 6)

This a neat little tip to help us find more ways to beat the heat and to find more ingredients for our spellwork!

All-in-all, would I recommend this book? Yes! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s awesome @Jewitch- thanks for the very thorough review! :heart_eyes: I’m glad you enjoyed the book and were able to find some interesting herbal tips and knowledge :herb:

I’m still making my way through the book, but it’s a short one with plenty of pictures so I think that even with my big move this week I should be able to finish it. I’ve read a few of the Herbal Academy free ebooks before and they always have some good knowledge in an easy-to-digest way, although I agree that the terminology they use isn’t always beginner-friendly :sweat_smile: Thank goodness for Google to the rescue! :laughing:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also for all those helpful resource links! I hope your medical studies and herbal studies continue to go well- enjoy and blessed be! :sparkles:

7 Likes

Oof, the process of moving is always exciting but never fun! :confounded: I hope your move goes smoothly! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That is a great review @Jewitch & it definitely piqued my interest. I have hibiscus & lemon balm in my yard, so it’s good to know that there is also another use for them. Side note: I plan on working in my garden today. I like learning about the herbs that I have & how to use them also. I think I may look into this reading.

I am also reading the House Witch! I have found it very interesting & resonating with who I am. I’ve only gotten through the first few chapters, but so far I like. it.

@Iris you can post your review of the first book if you have finished it also! That would be great!

7 Likes

Book title and author: The Modern Witch’s Guide to Happiness by Luna Bailey

My overall rating of the book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?

I’m fast coming to realise that I’m fairly eclectic in my approach to witchcraft. Whilst at present I do consider myself Wiccan, I don’t feel the need to pigeonhole myself into a particular way of practicing Wicca, which is part of what I love about it, being able to craft our own path.

This book focuses on positivity and happiness, obviously given the title, and touches on many different areas of the craft. It’s probably more geared towards beginners as it doesn’t go in depth into any of the areas it covers, but it gives a good taste of the potential for further study.

Topics covered are:

• Chapter 1 - Getting Spiritual
  • Chapter 2 - Finding Your Rituals
  • Chapter 3 - Harnessing Your Cosmic Energy
  • Chapter 4 - Cleaning Crystals and Dispelling Toxic Energy
  • Chapter 5 - Embrace Your Psychic Power with Tarot
  • Chapter 6 - The Magick of Nature
  • Chapter 7 - Everyday Spellcraft

My personal thoughts/opinions:

This really is a beautiful book, both visually and spiritually. As it’s not text heavy, there’s plenty of room for lovely illustrations, tips, and spells ideas, and it just feels like a pleasure to hold and read. Whilst it is fairly simplistic, I can see myself returning to it time and time again because it makes me happy reading it.

I zipped through it in only a couple of nights and actually felt more positive having just read it. I can’t wait to put some of it into practice, which I’m hoping will be helpful in tackling my addiction issue.

An interesting quote from the book

There is nothing better than fresh air, sunshine and the sea to clear away the negative energy that has built up inside you - it can feel like an uncomfortable fullness. It needs to be released, and the best way to do it is to be outside, letting Mother Nature’s energies flow through you.

This quote really resonated with me. There’s nothing I love more than to go for a walk in the woods to clear my head. And being by the sea in Cornwall last week made me realise how much I miss sea air. Part of what I’m hoping to work into our potential move to Ireland.

All-in-all, would I recommend this book? Yes, absolutely

8 Likes

Wade,

Blockquote
I remember when I was in college they would have a book and it would have alot of short videos and websites and pictures. I know what you mean by being a little overwhelming when you need to search google for information. I see that they wouldn’t give you that information till you paid for a class. That seems like a really good book if you could invest the time and money to work it!
Thanks a whole lot wade your book seems like a winner! I am tempted some day to get into Herbalism!
Jeannie

8 Likes

From what you’ve said about The Modern Witch’s Guide to Happiness I love everything about it @IrisW- I’m so glad you discovered such a treasure! :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It sounds very friendly to beginners and an inspiring read :sparkles: As someone else who feels a pull towards an eclectic practice, it sounds like this book has lots of helpful tips on the pursuit of magickal happiness and fulfillment :blush:

Thanks for sharing your review, @IrisW! :heart:

7 Likes

Book review by @anneshakargupta

My book name: Life Beyond Death by Swami Abhedananda

I intended to study “Introduction-To-Vedic-Knowledge by Parama Karuna Devi”, but in the middle, I changed my mind.

This book “Life Beyond Death” is a very nice book on occult, written by Swami Abhedananda. It mainly focus on soul and what happen when it depart from the body. 5 out of 5 to this book.

Detailed Review: Life beyond death by Swami Abhedananda explains this more elaborately that spiritism is not good, but higher-spiritism is good which deals with acquiring knowledge through soul that materialist or communist do not follow. There are 2 types of death, ie one is organism death and the other is death of soul. Soul or universal germs transform to living being through genes. It is divided into culture & un-culture classes according to level of quality education. So it is evident that cell-biology cannot cure all the diseases because defect in germs that is coming down through genes for lack of quality education cannot be detected by cell-biology. We need to focus on our life, current or present time, we need to enjoy it, we must thank the God for it and we must try to fulfil our soul with knowledge to leave something for our future generation and to cross the universe through peaceful astral travel.

8 Likes

You’re very welcome @RyuWyn! :blush::open_book:

It sounds like you really enjoyed Life Beyond Death, @Princess_Tara - from your review, it looks like an interesting book for anyone who is exploring their personal beliefs of death. I like the messages of enjoying the present moment and to never stop learning- I agree with these valuable lessons! :pray::sparkles: Thanks for sharing your review!

8 Likes

Book title and author: *Spell Caster (ebook): Author Anonymous

My overall rating of the book: 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?

So… in my practice there are many types of spells and chants one may use from time to time, on his or her path, this book is an app ebook based book that can be accessed at any given time when neccessary. There is even a section based on the history of the craft, meditation, correspondences and so much cool stuff pertaining to magic. Spell caster as the name suggest gives you many options on spells needed for your everyday use of interest and also provides you with the tool or items that can be used in your craft.

My personal thoughts:

I do find this book interesting because of the fact there are so many spells on the app ebook that are simple to use and can be easily accessed, even on the go without the use of your BOS at hand. This really is a cool ebook app. There us a spell here for everything, and i really love :heart: that!
There are even spells that a person can even use if they may or may not follow this path.

Some interesting spell from the ebook

I recommend this ebook app

8 Likes

I’m very interested in this ebook!!! The rituals and everything about it is fascinating to me!! Thanks for your review!!!

7 Likes

The astral travel piqued my interest. Thank you for your review :relaxed:

6 Likes

I love the quote from the book!!! That’s amazing :heart_eyes: I hope reading will help you tackle your addiction :heartbeat::purple_heart::muscle:

7 Likes

Thanks for your review!!! Anything dealing with herbs has always been an interest of mine. :herb::seedling::chestnut::blossom::rosette::tomato::shamrock:

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: The House Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

Status? Still Reading

My overall rating of the book 9

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Most of my practice is at the home & has to do with my family

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really like this book & how it relates to the home & using fire. Every weekend I have a fire & there’s always an intention or I connect with my Deity.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

8 Likes