Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book so much, @Princess_Tara! It’s truly a wonderful thing to find a great book :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope your next book for the current Book Club Session is just as enjoyable! :heart:

Blessed be!

5 Likes

Indeed, @BryWisteria

I am enjoying the current book a lot because this answered my many question already.

@anneshakargupta

5 Likes

I really liked that quote from your book that you included. As a new practitioner, I believe it is important for me to be persistent and feel sure that if I persist, I will succeed. I also need to keep in mind that no one is an expert at the beginning. As a former public school teacxher, I’m so used to having expertise in my subject, that it’s taking me a minute to realize I’m starting from scratch again. I am determined! Thanks again form your review!

5 Likes

Well said! The real magic occurs in the child’s mind. If we can enter that state, that beginner’s mind, we open the door to so many possibilities. Kudos to you for embarking in the task of learning from scratch!

Source

6 Likes

I really love the sound of this book :blush: its sounds really interesting.

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: A Mandala of Cards the Buddha Tarot by Robert M. Place

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This teaches about “Mandala” which is essential for maintaining the focus for during spellcasting. It teaches about the Wheel of Fortune which is The Mandala or Consciousness or Wheel of law or Wheel of life or Wheel of Justice, in other words, and the position of 7 Chakras, the position of 4 element and how those can be reached through 4 Yoga, the position of triumph card of Tarot Divination within this Wheel of Fortune. Following these 4 Yoga helps to develop the intuition & knowledge power for ritual and spellcasting purpose most.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This present consciousness is necessary to have speedy progress for developing intuition.

An interesting quote from the book: “One who is awake requires everyone to live in a present consciousness because the past has gone and the future will come to you for enjoyment.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes. Here is the link: A Mandala of Cards: The Buddha Tarot: Robert Place: 9788178223032: Amazon.com: Books

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: The American Indian Secrets of Crystal Healing by Luc Bourgault

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book relates by teaching the Cherokees and Apache tribe ways of crystal healing.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
This book really has valuable information! There’s an exercise from the book that I enjoyed doing. It’s energizing your food, drink, meds. You first have to energize your hand chakras. (I’d recommend getting used to doing this first then energizing your meal).
You rub your hands together with your elbows out then blow on them. Do it again and as many times as you’d like until you feel the ball of energy build up between your hands. (I like to close my eyes to feel it even stronger).
With this in mind, you place your hands over your mean and keep the intention of ‘to help and to cure’. Do it a couple times and if you don’t feel the energy ball, the author suggests not to eat the meal.
He had a meal that explained that wouldn’t charge, he didn’t eat it but his friend did and ended up being sick all night.
Same with medication, take it with the intention of ‘to help and to cure’. I personally haven’t don’t this with food, only crystals! The author does teach a ton of great information about crystals, I just wanted to point out something more interesting to me.
There’s so so much more information, I just can’t fit it all here :sweat_smile:

An interesting quote from the book:
“To begin with, the first crystal with which you work, which you clean, polish and purify must be yourself.”
And I love this one:
“There are two basic principles which anyone who wants to work with crystals must understand- meditation and respect.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, absolutely!

:gem: Thank you for reading my book report :relieved:

5 Likes

Ooh, I love the quote!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Very nice book review :blush:

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: Maya by Bhakti Purusottam Swami

Status? : Finished.

My overall rating of the book : 6/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book clarifies the laws of nature and how illusion cover our soul, through material pleasure, from achieving magical skills.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a nice book which speaks about a difference between Yoga or Wheel of Fortune which is divination skill and Moha/Maya/Illusion which deals with material pleasure which is temporary.

An interesting quote from the book: “Internal Energy works when one is in service of universe to purify others through self-realization.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: No.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: How to Live with God by Swami Chetanananda

6 Likes

As I said I thought I might in the thread, I went rogue and I’m reading something else :rofl:

Book Title and Author: The Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot by Skye Alexander

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

I’ve been keen to improve my tarot reading abilities for a while so this is extremely relevant.

I have another book by the same author, and love the look and feel of the books. They’re hard back and the pages have been made to look aged with ragged edges.

I’m still working my way through the book, and will probably do so alongside reading tarot for myself. But so far I’m really enjoying the way it’s laid out.

There are sections explaining the history of tarot, the language and symbols and numerology and tarot, which I’ve read.

There are then extensive sections of interpreting the cards of the minor and major arcana.

Each card has a summary of what it represents, and what it means upright and reversed. And there are even explanations in what each means in readings about money, work and love.

This is all really helpful for me and I’m hoping will help me get to grips with interpretations.

The last chapters include different spreads to use as well as a section on using tarot in magick, with some spells.

I’ve got a feeling I’ll come to love this book.

An interesting quote from the book: “You can’t separate the tarot from practice of magick and witchcraft - they’re entwined. Look at the card called The Magician - he’s card number one in what’s known as the Major Arcana. Right there on the table before him lie the four main tools in a witch’s"toolbox”: the wand, chalice, pentagram, and sword/athame. Look a little further and you’ll realise the four suits of the tarot’s Minor Arcana symbolise the four elements (earth, air, fire, and water) that witches and other magicians work with in modern rituals and spellcraft."

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Silver’s Spells for Protection by Silver RavenWolf

Status? : Reading

My overall rating of the book: from 0-10? a solid 9+

****How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:****This book reads like a “How to.” manual for practical magic.
To be honest the written reviews explained better than I can how good this book is, so I’ll quote: here is self-blessing ritual and spells to protect your vehicle. There are spells to protect those in your home and ones to uncross yourself when confronted with negativity and setbacks. You’ll find techniques to get people to stop lying about you, and others to aid you in court. In fact, by understanding what underlies the techniques given in this book, you can come up with protection spells for any purpose. The appendices give you correspondences and suggestions so you can easily convert the spells given in this book to exactly work with your needs. One of the best parts of this book is a basic introduction to magick. Even if you’re an old hand at spells and rituals, this section will refresh your memory and give information on ideas you didn’t know or might have forgotten. How long should a ritual or spell last? Why didn’t my magick work? When should I do this ritual? If magic for evil purposes works, why shouldn’t I do it? All of these questions are clearly answered. This book makes an excellent gift – to a friend or to yourself. Protection from the problems of life and from negative energies is needed by all. You can find answers here.

An interesting quote from the book: *An ounce of protection can prevent a pound of problems. Which essentially means, don’t look at the sky while humming, you’ll get mugged or run over. Pay attention at what is going on around you. Practice your magic, but be aware and think about your surroundings.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes absolutely!

My only regret with Spells8 is that we don’t have a way to swap books among each other.
Finally finished the book, There are some great spells and sage advise. herbs and substitutes. over all Great book

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your book reviews, @Princess_Tara! Sorry that Maya wasn’t quite what you were hoping for, but I’m glad you enjoyed A Mandala of Cards. I hope that How to Live with God is a wonderful and insightful read for you- enjoy it! :heart::open_book:

It sounds like you found an awesome book, @Christina4! Those quotes are absolutely beautiful too- thanks so much for sharing them and your thoughts about the book! :sparkling_heart:

It sounds like your leap into a different book paid off, @IrisW- looks like you are really enjoying Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot! It’s always great to find an author that you like, and bonus points when they have multiple books :grin: Thanks for sharing your find!

I love the quote you chose, @Garnet- it sounds like a great book with some very valuable foundational magick information. I’m so happy you enjoyed it! And I agree- a Spells8 swap would be wonderful! :books: Although my list of witchy books to-read is already so long- there’s never enough time to get through all the wonderful books out there! :laughing: :+1: Thanks so much for sharing your review :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Hello @BryWisteria
Maya is actually a good book, but not relating to magic. So, I cannot refer it here. Thanks for conducting this nice book club. @anneshakargupta

7 Likes

I wasn’t able to finish my book for this review but I am almost finished just another chapter to go and I will post it in the “X - (Aug 27-Sept24)” post!

4 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot to post my review. I wrote it, I just didn’t post it. D’oh!

Here we go!

Book Title and Author: The Wild Wood Tarot Wherein Wisdom Resides by Mark Ryan and John Mathews. Art by Wil Worthington.

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book goes with the new tarot deck I bought and I was hoping it would clear up some confusion about the cards.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a good book to learn the tarot by, as long as you keep in mind that some cards are different. Many of the Major Arcana are different and the card replacing Justice in in the place of the card replacing Strength. Five of Cups is Ecstasy rather than Despair. Things like that. It doesn’t explain why, either, which is a bit disappointing.

An interesting quote from the book: “Everywhere in the early literature of the West, the forests are thronged with curious mythological creatures: The leaf-clad Wildman, seen as more animal than human during the Middle Ages: the Green Man and Green Woman, the oldest known images of the interaction between humanity and nature; the Woodwose, a troll-like being of great strength and fierceness who guards the deepest layers of the forest; and of course, the legion of faery beings, monsters and powerful creatures that also dwell there. Many of these you will encounter in the Wildwood Tarot.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes. Especially if you’re into tarot cards that are shamanistic based.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat, @Missa- it’s a busy time of year! I hope you continue to enjoy your book, looking forward to reading your review when you’ve finished! :blush:

Very interesting, @Amethyst- I would have thought that the guide book would explain why the switches were made, but I guess that remains part of the mystery of the deck! That aside, it sounds like the book had lots of interesting details about folklore and mythology- thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I hope you continue to enjoy the Wildwood Tarot deck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :flower_playing_cards:

6 Likes

There’s another book I have, working with the Wildwood Tarot, that I’m going to read after a bit of a break. I’m hoping to find my answers there.

4 Likes

That’s amazing that a tarot deck has so much content built around it! :star_struck: I hope the second book has the answers you are looking for, @Amethyst. Whenever you get around to giving it a read, I hope you enjoy it! :open_book: :deer:

4 Likes

Thank you, my dear! I’ll be reading it next month.

4 Likes