Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

You are quite the reader, @Princess_Tara- it’s amazing how many books you are able to get through! I think you are a true book lover :books::two_hearts: :blush: I hope the 4th book continues to be a fun read for you- enjoy it!

4 Likes

Indeed, I am a book lover & a book warm. I love books because this can take me to that time where I want to be.

4 Likes

Agreed! There’s an inherent magick in books :heart: The worlds and stories and emotions they hold can be amazingly real and bring about powerful real-life changes in their readers :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :books: Sometimes I even find myself thinking that reading could be considered a form of astral travel! :sparkles:

5 Likes

Infact there’s no treasure like books. @Princess_Tara

4 Likes

Agreed! :books: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Book Title and Author: Celtic Spirituality: a Beginner’s Guide to Celtic Spirituality by: Sarah Owen

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I am learning about Celtic deities & want to incorporate Celtic Paganism in my practice.

My personal thoughts/opinions: easy introduction to history, deities, Rituals, divination, Druidry… all of it

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes to anyone wanting to know more about the Celtic path

I finished my 1st book! :dizzy: So I immediately started another & added it to the list! :books:

10 Likes

**Book Title and Author:Anatomy of a Witch by Laura Tempest Zakroff

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It pertains to my craft by opening my eyes and furthering my knowledge. I enjoyed how the writer explained certain things that made it easier or more obvious to a connection within my belief or craft.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book is amazing! I love when I find a book that just feels like a cozy chat with a close friend. It was an easy page turner, and helped answer questions I hadn’t realized.
Favorite Quote: I have three that are lengthy, so I snapped pics…

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Definitely

8 Likes

Book title & author: Crystal Reiki by Krista Mitchell
Status?: Finished
Overall rating: 8/10
How does the book relate to my magical practice?: Crystals are a huge part of my practice. This book covers healing the mind, body, and soul. If you can’t first heal yourself then how could you help heal others? That’s how I look at it.
Personal thoughts/opinions: I devoured this book! This book teaches the fundamentals of working with crystals and energy healing. It’s very useful for the basics and as a go-to guide.
An interesting quote from the book:
“People often ask about grouping crystals. Are there crystals that shouldn’t be around each other? Are some more harmonious than others? There are no rules, per se: you can group crystals according to color, element, function, chakra, whatever feels the best to you energetically and intuitively. That being said, you need to pay attention to how the grouping feels.”
Would I recommend this book?: Yes!

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Witch’s Path by Thorn Mooney

My overall rating of the book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book described nicely the concepts of witchcraft or ritual or spell crafting and so on.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a book good for beginners. It will give every be beginner nice guidance about the coven. Also, this book is good for those who want to start their own covens.

An interesting quote from the book: “Our real concern is our practice, our own traditions, and our own communities.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

2 Likes

Book Title and Author: A Little Light on the Spiritual Laws by Diana Cooper

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This described natural laws with which we witches play regularly.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I always thought that why the universe did not leave any norm list for its creation, but after reading this book I realized that the universe left a simple norm that “Think before doing and you will be paid in your own terms”.

An interesting quote from the book: “God does not stop loving you when you have turbulent emotions or find a piece of work difficult.”

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: Gerald Gardner Old Words & the Old Laws by Gerald B. Gardner

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book provided a different angle view of Gardner’s coven.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Conflict is everywhere. There cannot be any life without conflict.

An interesting quote from the book: “The High Priestess chooses the God or the Priest of the Coven because God has surrendered his power already before her through five fold kisses.”

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: Book of Shadows by Gerald B. Gardner

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is a cookbook of Gardner’s magical work.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Last time this book helped me to stop spreading covid in the UK. This time this book gave a new vision about west self-initiation and how it differs from east self-initiation.

An interesting quote from the book: “The only circle that matters is the one drawn before every ceremony either with a duly consecrated magic sword or Atheme.”

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald B. Gardner

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book described a historical relation between magical and non-magical people, the birth of religion, and the misuse of laws.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is the best book I read in my life. Every witch must read this book to know more about historical relations, laws, religion, magic & so on. I love this book.

An interesting quote from the book: “In Pre-Aryan era, magic started spreading through England to Europe to Madditrian to India.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes-Yes-Yes!

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: Witchcraft Today By Gerald B. Gardner

Status? : Still Reading

3 Likes

Book Title and Author: High Magic’s Aid by Gerald B. Gardner

My overall rating of the book : 08/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book applied magical rituals in a storylike manner.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a nice storybook magical application.

An interesting quote from the book: “Sometimes we have to break the laws of the universe for our protection spell and rituals”

3 Likes

Book Title and Author: When, Why … if? By Robin Wood

My overall rating of the book : 10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is about the ethics of magic and Wicca. I hope to learn more about those and figure out what my personal beliefs are.**

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a great book for people just starting out their path, or for young people being taught who want to know why they shouldn’t cast that love spell. There are exercises at the end of each chapter that makes you stop and think. Being ethical isn’t an easy path all the time, you’ve got to be mindful of what you believe, be open-minded, and look at people with a heart full of love. This really was an easy read. I liked it!**

An interesting quote from the book: “Everything that you do, or don’t do, has consequences that ripple through the world like a pebble dropped into a pond, and you are responsible for them!”

And: “In order for you to become an ethical being, you need to make these decisions and determinations yourself. No one else can do it for you. If you allow someone else to make your ethical decisions, you are giving away your own personal power, and you are not behaving ethically at all. You are behaving obediently.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Witch’s Path by Thorn Mooney

Status? : Still Reading

So far I’m enjoying this book. It’s given me a lot to think about even as a witch who’s been at it for a while. I’m still reading, though, so I don’t want to give my full thoughts just yet!

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Morrigan: Meeting the Great Queen by: Morgan Daimler

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I have been itching to learn more about Celtic Paganism, Irish Paganism, & specifically the Morrigan.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I loved the book It was easy to read & understand in a way that the reader can put the 3 sisters together as the 1 Morrigan & understand the stand alone Morrigan is also valid.

An interesting quote from the book: "Among Reconstructionists it is disrespectful to say you work with a deity, because however you view the Gods they are not usually seen as our partners in projects. Patrons, perhaps, or guides, but not partners as another person would be to work with us. It’s an interesting bit of semantics between the two approaches to paganism. In neopaganism the phrase is used commonly and doesn’t seem to even register with most people, while in Reconstructionist faiths you don’t tend to see it used and when it is it ban become the focus of the discussion as people debate the accuracy or blasphemy of it. Many neopagans tend to see the entire concept and nature of deity in a way that lends itself to the idea of Gods helping us for no reason except that we ask for the help, while recons tend to see our relationship to deity based on reciprocity & balance. "

The above is 1 quote, the rest of the book is written through the writer’s lens & offering others to form their own opinion of the information given. There are stories about the Morrigan & the sisters & other deities she is involved with

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Herb Magic by Patti Wigington

*Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : 6/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I’m really into herbs and plants. Not just magical properties but medicinal properties. This book is a “dictionary” of basic plants to use in this purpose. There is a list of spells as well.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
It has ended up becoming more of a reference type book. I can go back and forth looking up different plants I want to work with. It is only a few of the more basic plants, not for the more advanced person working with herbs. I’ll definitely be keeping this in my kindle library.

An interesting quote from the book:
“There’s something powerful about inhaling the soft aroma of fresh herbs—it’s an ethereal sensory experience that’s reminiscent of an earlier time.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, it does have good information that is clear and straight to the point.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Native American Herbalism Encyclopedia by Shania Williams

Status? : Still Reading, I haven’t even opened it yet :see_no_evil:

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

I wasn’t able to start reading this. I am looking forward to reading it as I love Native American traditions. I’ll probably not enter it for a few months so I can read something more entertaining through the winter months.

6 Likes