Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Book Title and Author: The Inner Mysteries - Progressive Witchcraft and Connection With The Divine by Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is one of the most informative and influential books for me especially concerning the visualization of a Wiccan cosmology and working with deity as well the wheel of the year and energy work.

My personal thoughts/opinions: While some books by Janet and Stewart Farrar can be a rather challenging but informative read, this book by Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone is still highly informative but I didn’t need to keep the dictionary nearby to get through it. There are also several helpful illustrations and photos.

An interesting quote from the book: “We are not separate from the divine, or from the dynamic, ongoing process of creation. The saying “Thou art God/Goddess” is often used by Neo Pagans. This is not to say we are deities in our own right (we find this to be a very egotistical concept). It simply means the divine is in us, just as it is in every aspect and part of creation.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

I found this visualization and its explanation very helpful.

The idea of seasonal power tides in this illustration feels right to me.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Intuitive Witchcraft by Astrea Taylor

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book relates to my practice because I’m intuitive but still learning to trust the messages I receive.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book was helpful because it has journaling exercises that help you watch for the triggers that make you step in and out of your intuition. It had information on societal conditioning which I think we all have dealt with from time to time. It had a chapter on energy flips which is basically when a negative instance happens you find the positive in it, because there are always positives in a negative. We can’t have one without the other. Also a part on Cosmic Downloads which I believe in totally because it has happened to me. Many ancient cultures believe that ideas and creative ideas of all kinds are floating in the ether. These ideas are for anyone to grab, so it’s important to know that when you have a great idea for something you should act on it or it will end up being someone else’s.
It reminded me of a story I read about this man who was a composer. He was composing this beautiful piece of music. He would work to make money to buy the resources he needed to concentrate on this beautiful piece. So one day his friend comes over and he listened to what this man composed. To his friend it was perfect. His friend told him he should record it. But the man felt it wasn’t quite right yet. One day his friend was listening to the radio and he heard his friends music. So he called him to congratulate him for his success, but his friend didn’t understand what he was talking about because he wasn’t finished with his music yet. So basically, the music was composed by someone else and they in turn received the credit for it. I thought it was very interesting.

An interesting quote from the book: “Everyone was born with intuition. There’s something inside of us that feels energy and spirituality, and we can use that to create positive change in our lives.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes.
[/quote]

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Year of the Magickal Dragon by Virginia Chandler

My overall rating of the book : 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I have only just started to explore working with Dragon magic, this book was a first look into the subject matter for me.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I most enjoyed the meditations. I would have liked a more in depth look at the practice but it’s an enjoyable read and was a good place to start thinking about dragons. The descriptions of different cultural sites related to dragons would have benefited from a few photos. There is also a bit of repetition of the same info throughout the book and the rituals are somewhat dry and minimal in their writing. A fun book but maybe needs a little more meat on the bones?

An interesting quote from the book: “Since dragons can (and do) resonate with all of the elements, including and especially spirit, working with dragon energy requires a very specific practice.”

I love the cover art by Anne Stokes!

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Rediscover the Magick of the Gods and Goddesses - Revealing the Mysteries of Theurgy - (a tour-de-force study of the history and modern practice of ritual magick) by Jean-Louis de Biasi

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book fits right into my own beliefs and practices. Although the majority of the gods and goddesses portrayed in this book are of Greek nature, where I follow a more Egyptian practice, most of the gods and goddesses can be traced back further to Egyptian deities. This is the same when it comes to Roman and even Norse gods and others.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I thought this book was fascinating to read. It is not wicca/witchcraft but more theurgic/pagan in nature which is traced to the Aurum Solis (a western mystery tradition) and Hermeticism.

The book contains good historical information about these mystery traditions, astrology and gods and goddesses. It is a really good book to initiate yourself in the knowledge required to be more pagan in nature with ritualistic practices and exercises you can follow in your daily life to connect with the divine externally and internally.

This book also goes through all the planetary days and hours in detail (though more detail is available in another of his books by the Aurum Solis) - and it also touches on other traditions, such as Levi’s work, the Golden Dawn and Freemasonry.

This book also discusses the pentagram and how to Invoke/Activate as well as Banish/Deactivate all the elements using the pentagram symbol and touches on the wheel of the year and the corresponding zodiac along with their elements so you know which elements you might need less of, or more of during a ritual.

The book also goes through Birth and Reincarnation and the path of return, which is the real goal of Theurgy. To be able to prepare for death, and perhaps return in another life with memories and skills from prior lives.

An interesting quote from the book: “I believe that the universe is eternal. It did not begin at some point in the past and it will never end. It is composed of many parts that are organised together and harmonised into a unique whole. It was created to be the most perfect it can be and there is nothing to add that would make it more perfect. It always remains steadily the same - in its original state - and it continues to be eternally immutable.”

3 Likes

Sorry @BryWisteria

I failed to participate this month for my work pressure. I will participate at nect month. When it will be started?

2 Likes

@Princess_Tara No worries at all- I know it is a very busy time of year! Hope your work is going well :blush:

As for the next session:

Wow! So many amazing reviews! :heart_eyes: Many thanks to @Rowan, @Amethyst, @Valen, @Christine13, and @Temujin_Calidius for sharing your books and thoughts! :clap:

It looks like all of the books (aside from the one still being read- I hope The Crooked Path gets better for you, Valen!) were a pretty good read with all ratings being 7 and up! Looks like everyone was able to find some wonderful new resources for their magickal paths :sparkles::blush:

These reviews are a blessing for all those looking for good witchy books to read- thanks again for sharing! :heart::books:

5 Likes

I’ve got another book I’ve just about finished for this month! I hope to finish it today actually. I’m almost done! LOL!

4 Likes

Yes, end is well, so all is well. November gone means stress gone. Now recaptutation time with books. :joy:

3 Likes

Book Title and Author: Dark Goddess Craft: A Journey Through the Heart of Transformation by Stephanie Woodfield.

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I want to work on my shadow this winter and I figured this was a wonderful book to start out with.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a great book if you work with the Dark Goddesses or if you just want to catch a glimpse at your own shadow. There are several guided meditations in this book that makes me wish it came with the audio for them. All in all though, a great book!

An interesting quote from the book: “There is no such thing as a happy ever after, because we are constantly growing and changing. More than likely the person you were five years ago is not the same person you are now, nor will you be the same five years in the future. The changes aren’t always dramatic, but they are there nonetheless.”

And:
“When working with the dark goddess, it’s important to recognize you will be afraid. When we understand our fears and learn to control our reactions to it, we can master this emotion.”

3 Likes

Wow, you did it in perfect timing, @Amethyst- congrats on finishing Dark Goddess Craft ! :partying_face: It sounds like a lovely book for both deity work and Shadow Work. And I like that it comes with meditations too- a bonus! :tada:

Ohhhh I’m curious, as these days the first “Dark Goddess” that comes to mind is Hekate- may I ask if the book focuses primarily on Her, or does the book explore other Dark Goddesses equally (perhaps the Morrigan/Morana, etc?) :black_heart:

Thanks so much for your review! :blush:

3 Likes

Hekate and Badb, a face of the Morrigan are mentioned, but so are Kali, Persephone, Sedna, Oya, and many others. Some I’ve never heard of and aren’t going to even try to spell. LOL.

There are ritual baths, and other spells included, to help you face your shadow. It’s a really good book, I’d recommend it!

3 Likes

Oh wow- that is a lot of goddesses to explore! :star_struck::black_heart: It does sound like an amazing book, @Amethyst- thanks again for your review and the recommendation! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s really great book to start out shadow work with!

2 Likes

Book Title and Author: Celtic Tree Magic Ogham Lore & Druid Mysteries by: Danu Foresgt

My overall rating of the book : 9 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I started learning about the Runes & a big part of my practice is Celtic derived. Learning the Ogham & different Celtic/Druid techniques for their uses & also for grounding & meditation are something that I am feeling more of a connection to as I learn more.

My personal thoughts/opinions: The book covers all of the meanings or interpretations of each symbol & Druid mastery exercises & how to cast & interpret the staves.

An interesting quote from the book: …“Bloddeuwedd is said to attempt murdering Llew with her lover Gronw & is turned into an owl by Gwydion as punishment. This reveals Bloddeuwedd as a fierce & strong female character, a force of nature rather than a passive creation of men. Her Duality as flower maiden/owl woman show her to be far more complex & probably a far more ancient Goddess than the story suggests at first glance. There are several tales where a goddess is fought over by two male consorts who each have their divine roles, often related to Summer & Winter, or the world Above & the Underworld.”
Pages 20 -21
(When I first read this passage, I immediately thought of Persephone)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Absolutely to anyone wishing to follow a more Celtic path or to learn about their Divination with Ogham Trees & Staves

9 Likes

I finished my next book for this Session!

Book Title and Author: The Spirit of Celtic Gods & Goddesses: Their History, Magical Power, & Healing Energies By: Carl McColman & Kathryn Hinds with a foreword by Courtney Weber

Status? : Finished (Finally, 3rd time is the charm :four_leaf_clover:)

My overall rating of the book : 8 /10 I gave the book an 8 due to the obvious bias, confusion, or both of the Morrigan being associated with eroticism. Clearly taking the stories, myths, legends out of context for at the very least her encounter with the Dagda on Samhain.

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I am studying Celtic Paganism & Spirituality. I also currently honor Brighid & the Morrigan & continue learning about the Celtic Pantheon & the polytheism aspect of Celtic Spirituality. However, right now in my life, I have a balance with happenings & events & both Goddesses that I Honor make their presence known each day at before different things go on or just for comfort I suppose.

My personal thoughts/opinions: (This is my personal view) A similar context is used for Medb who is not one of the Morrigan sisters but a goddess of eroticism, she was known for sexual encounters in her associated stories but they are not the same person in their stories as the Badb, Nemain, Macha can be directly associated with the Morrigan as sisters & create any part of her identity.I can follow most of the book, the parts about some of the deities, from what I have learned from other sources, is more speculative than based on the time of the occurrences.

An interesting quote from the book: “This is magic indeed. It is motivated by love; informed equally by knowledge & wisdom; powered by a focused, well-trained will; and carried out by means of words whose potency is increased by their poetic form and their sung utterance. This magic sees beneath appearances & recognizes possibilities. It is a change of consciousness that changes the word.” (pg 168)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Absolutely, it gives a starting point to working the Celtic Gods & Goddesses & following a Celtic path.

I added my next book, another 3rd time is the charm book. I remember when I tried to start these books, they were so hard for me to settle into & now it’s like the connection is really there & where my path is taking me.

@christine13 I will be looking forward to what you think of the book also, I am now reading (restarting) the same book you are! Happy reading! (Tending Brigid’s Flame)

8 Likes

My review of This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron
This book was a really wonderful one to read and was full of twists,turns and excitement.
Overall I rate this book a 9/10 and would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves greek mythology.My favourite part of the book would either be the parts in the garden or when Hekate appears.
I’m extremely excited and anxious to get my hands on the next book and I will update you when I get it!
Blessed be.

8 Likes

@Susurrus Thanks for sharing that lovely review about The Spirit of Celtic Gods & Goddesses! It sounds like there were some rough patches, but congrats to you for sticking through and finishing it. I’d add my note about rehoming it into the Review post when it’s launched, but you’re so awesome you beat me to it! :laughing: :+1: Thanks for sharing that info with Jem! :heart:

@Jem1 Thanks for sharing your review of This Poison Heart, Jem! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Like Siofra kindly mentioned, there is a suggested template to help guide reviews, but it is simply a guide- you’re free to use as much or as little of it as you’d like, the most important thing is getting your thoughts out there! :grinning: And wow- it sounds like a very fun read, how cool that Hekate Herself appears! Is there a sequel coming out soon (or is it already released?) I hope you can get your hands on a copy! :star_struck: :open_book:

I was reunited with my digital reader (is it a kindle? I don’t even know- it might be an Amazon fire or something else :joy:) for the first time in two years and I didn’t realize how much I’d miss it! I always say I prefer a physical copy, but it really is handy how it can hold so many books in the tablet :books: An entire library right in our hands :open_hands: :grin:

8 Likes

The next book unfortunately doesn’t come out until June :sob:

7 Likes

A tragedy @Jem1- there’s nothing quite like the anticipation of waiting for the next entry in a favorite series. May the time fly, the book come out soon, and may it be everything you are hoping for in a sequel! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Until then, maybe there’s another book you have in mind? I know it can be hard to switch to another series when you’ve got a good one, but maybe you can find another amazing new series/book to explore! :blush:

If so, blessed reading! :open_book: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Tending Brigid’s Flame by Lunaea Weatherstone

My overall rating of the book : 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Well, I wanted to learn about the Celtic pantheon because I am Irish, Scottish, and English. I had read things here and there on Brigid, but there were 4 things that struck me that I really connected with was the cow with the red ears, Imbolc, that she was the Goddess of the hearth, and the corn husk dolls. I love cows and had worked on a few dairy farms, and I love Spring when the trees and flowers are rebirthed and green and new. One of the main reason’s we bought this house we’re in now is because of the hearth–it was welcoming and a source of comfort to me, and the corn husk dolls my grandmother–she was from Newfoundland–used to make us when we were kids.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I think I hyped myself up on the book and was excited to learn about Brigid, but I was disappointed because there wasn’t that much about her specifically. I mean, there were blessings, charms, and incantations in the book so that was helpful, but I was looking for more specifics. Apparently the Celts didn’t like to write things down and record things so it’s kind of vague information.

An interesting quote from the book: There really wasn’t anything that called to me.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: I do recommend the book because just because I didn’t click with the writer doesn’t mean someone else won’t. I just was looking for more information.

8 Likes