Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

I haven’t finished my book yet, so no review this time :heart:

6 Likes

I read three books in a series this month, those were:

• Following The Sun: A Practical Guide to Egyptian Religion by Sharon LaBorde
  • Circle of the Sun: Rites and Celebrations for Egyptian Pagans and Kemetics by Sharon LaBorde
  • Celebrating the Egyptian Gods by Sharon LaBorde

I will do a review of all three since they form one series really. You can read them on your own, but I feel they are really a more complete work as one.

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:
It relates highly due to my work with Egyptian deities. There is a lot of ritual and ceremony within.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
I found them good, though if you read all three you will find some repeated materials. They contain a lot of well-researched facts by the author and the ceremonies and rituals presented within are written as accurate to their original intention as possible.

I also find though, that these are more suited to kemetics or those practitioners that like to be as accurate to the past as possible. I’m more of a solitary that likes to mix and match what I feel works for me. If I do wrong, I know it myself due to the energies present.

I find that many gods are open to us experimenting as long as we show respect in our practice. And you will know from them if what you are doing is suitable or not. It’s all to do with energies and your inner-temple and consciousness anyway at the end of the day and how you feel towards that deity.

One of the books, Celebrating the Egyptian Gods is pretty much a mini-encyclopedia of most of the known Egyptian gods, a little detail about each one, what they traditionally like as offerings and how to work with them. This is handy when learning and going back through.

Thanks to these books, I’ve set myself up a shrine with Egyptian deities for each day of the week. I’ve used other knowledge I have in the cosmos and energies of the planets to assign planets and certain crystals to some of the deities I work with as well.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, to those with an interest in some Egyptian history in a ceremonial sense.

Tem

7 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria, you’re so kind. Feeling a lot better now, but the two weeks of infection were absolutely horrible. Still in recovery, so taking things slow :relaxed:
I do recommend reading this book and I have few others about plants and folklore magic I hope to get around to this year as well. So much to read, so little time :joy::scream: Once I get through them I’ll try and give feedback. Always good to spread the knowledge and good stuff to read!

6 Likes

I am very much the same way, and I liked the way you summed it up so eloquently!

6 Likes

No worries, Megan- I hope your book is a good one and that you are enjoying your reading! :blush:

That is quite the impressive feat, Tem- congrats to you for finishing your three books! :tada: It sounds like the set offered some interesting insights into the Egyptian pantheon. I like your point about reading and digesting the information the books offer, but then choosing to apply it and use it in ways that work best with your personal methods :+1:

I’m glad you enjoyed the books- thank you so much for sharing your review! :books::heart:

I’m so glad to hear you’re feeling better now, Viss- it sounds like it was a really tough time for you overcoming the sickness! Keep on getting good rest and taking it slow, I’m sending warm thoughts and healing energy your way :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ohhhh plants and folklore magick sound awesome- you’ve got some very neat books lined up! I hope you have a chance to get through at least some of them, and I hope they all turn out to be very enjoyable reads for you :open_book: Blessed be! :sparkles:

8 Likes

Book Title and Author:
Tarot: Connect with yourself, develop your intuition, live mindfully by Tina Gong

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book explores the tarot in a way that differs from traditional interpretations- it offers thoughtful insights for tarot readings. As someone ever exploring the cards, I found it fascinating and helpful for my practice.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really enjoyed this book and found that it offers a lot in terms of seeing new ways to use the cards and using the cards for self-care/introspection. The book can veer pretty far away from traditional meanings at times, so more traditional readers may get frustrated with some of what is explored. Tina Gong is also a very strong believer in Carl Jung’s philosophies, so if you don’t enjoy Jungian philosophy you will likely not enjoy this book.

All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this book as the sole tarot book for anyone, but it is a very valuable addition to tarot-learning materials.

An interesting quote from the book: This book has four major parts: an introduction to this style of reading tarot mindfully, an exploration of each of the cards, tarot spreads to use, and sample readings.

One part of the introduction- I thought it was interesting to break the deck into both elements and layers of conscious :brain:

A picture of one of the card pages- it features unique artwork, upright and reversed meanings, interpretations, reflections, and actions to take:

And one of the sample readings. These are particularly helpful for new readers or anyone who is nervous about reading for others for the first time:

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! I would absolutely read this book especially for anyone interested in seeing a new aspect of the cards, those who enjoy non-traditional interpretations, and/or enthusiasts of Jungian philosophy.

A note that if you have a FiveBelow store near you (or are able to order from them online) they have this book for just $5- it is absolutely worth it! :+1:

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Moon Spells by Diane Ahlquist

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book relates to my magical practice by showing me a step by step process to performing a spell. It’s almost like a small textbook for me. It gives you a spell and suggests the direction to face, north, south, east, or west. It suggests the best moon phase, day of the week, gemstone, and incense to use. She provides the affirmation and incantation to say. Then how to perform the spell.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book was a tremendous help for me in performing spells. I need clear instructions and step by step directions to get familiar with the process of performing a spell. It definitely doesn’t feel so awkward as it did at first. And the spells she provides are love spells, protection spells, career/job spells, releasing fear, releasing, addictions, etc.

An interesting quote from the book: She had a quote in the book from Henry Ford, who once said, “If you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!” I guess it really comes down to our self talk which I’ve been working on. I have had a lot of negative self talk throughout my life and it’s so true that when you change that talk to positive, positive things do happen.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! This is a great book for baby witches, specially if you need a step by step process like I do. And it helps to know how others perform spells that way I can get comfortable with casting, and then add in what I like later to make it personal for me.

5 Likes

Woohoo! Sounds like Moon Spells was a great read for you, @Christine13- I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Sometimes witchy books are more theoretical than practical, but it sounds like this one was very helpful with step-by-step guidance and helpful advice about casting.

From your review I can tell this is a great book to help build casting confidence and study the art of spellwork- sounds like a good book for someone to have in their witchy library! :books: Thank you so much for sharing your review, Christine! :heart:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln’s Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart

61eaz--7isL.SX382_BO1,204,203,200
Picture from Amazon

Status? : Still Reading (just a few more entries to go!)

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: As a green witch, I love books about plants.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I am loving this book- I’ve still got a few plant entries to get through, but I’m gone far enough to know that this book is a keeper. This book is a bit different from the herbal books I’ve read before in that it talks about which plants not to use medicinally- however, sometimes plants that you would never use medicinally still have potent meanings in magick. And this book is a very important reminder that, although nature is wonderful, nature should always be respected and handled with care.

An interesting quote from the book:

Entry on the Betel Nut:

An interesting quote on rhubarb (who would’ve thought rhubarb, a beloved ingredient, would be in the book!):

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, yes, and yes! This book is not only for green witches and plant-lovers, it is for anyone who enjoys a well-written book as the author is a talented writer. It is also an eye-opening book- some of the plants here are ones you’d find in your background, or even in your kitchen cupboard! A very worthwhile and enjoyable read all around.

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Táin translated by Ciaran Carson

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book details one of the most important mythological battles in Irish mythology. It’s relevant to my practice for the understanding of culture and context when it comes to Irish history.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a more modern translation of the Táin Bó Cúailnge (The Cattle Raid of Cooley), an epic battle in the Ulster cycle of mythology in Ireland. The entire book is a detail of a cattle raid, the stealing of cattle from one kingdom or lord. Ailill and Medb were laying in bed one night talking (they are married) and Ailill said to her that she is lucky to be a rich man’s wife. Now, Medb is a Goddess and her wealth is her power, as it was back in the day for women. This entire cattle raid and war, basically, started because Ailill, her husband, insulted her wealth. She needed to prove to him that she was wealthy (and powerful) in her own right and sought to steal back a bull that had once belonged to her.

Without giving much of the story away (because if you’re interested in Irish mythology, you should definitely read it), the modern take on this book really helped me to understand the context of the story. It is told in such a way to retain the original feel of the wording while making it easier to understand for the modern reader. This story in the Ulster cycle helps us see the importance of cattle to the Irish people, the fierceness with which they fight for one another, and the loyalty that they have for those they care about.

An interesting quote from the book:…for 'tis I that exacted a singular bride-gift, such as no woman before me had ever required of a man of the men of Erin, namely, a husband without avarice, without jealousy, without fear. For should he be mean, the man with whom I should live, we were ill-matched together, inasmuch as I am great in largess and gift-giving, and it would be a disgrace for my husband if I should be better at spending than he, and for it to be said that I was superior in wealth and treasures to him, while no disgrace would it be were one as great as the other. Were my husband a coward, 'twere as unfit for us to be mated, for I by myself and alone break battles and fights and combats, and 'twould be a reproach for my husband should his wife be more full of life than himself, and no reproach our being equally bold. Should he be jealous, the husband with whom I should live, that too would not suit me, for there never was a time that I had not my paramourb.

I chose this quote because it’s from the very beginning of the story. Medb is telling her husband that she chose him because they were equals in all things and that’s the way she likes it. Then, of course, he tells her that he is richer than her because he has the best bull in his herd and she doesn’t like that :laughing:

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, definitely for anyone following an Irish practice.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is full of Indigenous Wisdom from an Indigenous person. The author writes in such a way that the stories are relatable, memorable, and we feel the importance of the lessons taught in each chapter. The main theme behind the book is that of animism and living alongside nature rather than outside of it. The author gives suggestions and stories that show us how we have been so disconnected from natural cycles, species, and the wisdom of plants and animals.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book made me think. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me cringe. As an animist, I know that I am not outside of nature. I am nature and everything around me is also nature. Nothing on this Earth is made from things not of the land, even the plastic keyboard I’m using to type this up right now. It has been hard for me to put into words why I enjoyed this book, but I did. The way it made me think about certain things hasn’t happened in a book like this in a long time. It was sad at certain points, happy at others, and urgent when need be. One part that I really enjoyed was the correlation between the Windigo and our current state of the world. I won’t ruin for everyone because I really recommend everyone read this book, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

An interesting quote from the book: "One afternoon, I sat with my field ecology students by a wiikwegamaa and shared this idea of animate language. One young man, Andy, splashing his feet in the clear water, asked the big question.

‘Wait a second,” he said as he wrapped his mind around this linguistic distinction, “doesn’t this mean that speaking English, thinking in English, somehow gives us permission to disrespect nature? By denying everyone else the right to be persons? Wouldn’t things be different if nothing was an it?’"

– This quote is talking about how when we refer to things outside of ourselves in English, there isn’t really a word for them besides what they are. For example, we talk about a specific tree. It is tall. It is big and brown. I have a lot to say about the way we speak about our non-human relatives, but I’ll leave it at this. Language is important. Words have meaning and affect how you view the world around you, even if you don’t realize it.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, absolutely!

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Witchcraft for Tomorrow by Doreen Valiente

My overall rating of the book: 8/10

How does this book relate to my magical practice: It provides a solid basis for the basics and the history of Wicca and witchcraft.

My personal thoughts and opinions: I’m not much into history, so for me this book was a bit dry. I suppose I was looking for a basic witchcraft book and what I got was a history book. It’s good though, there is some great sass about Crowley in there. LOL! Just not my cup of tea.

An interesting quote from the book: This quote comes from the part on sex magic and was just a short quote but I feel it should have been highlighted and starred. “The Tantras are indeed much concerned with magic; but magic is black or white according to the intention of the operator and the way in which forces are used.” I personally think that applies to all magic, not just sex magic.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, especially if you’re into history.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Modern Tarot: Connecting with Your Higher Self through the Wisdom of the Cards by Michelle Tea

Status? : Still Reading; Unfortunately I’ve been working a lot recently so, since there isn’t an audiobook version of this book yet I haven’t gotten very far into it yet.

My overall rating of the book : 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I recently aqquired a tarot deck and have been learning to work with it.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really like how this author explains things.

An interesting quote from the book:
From the introduction:
"Tarot speaks to our intuition, to our guts. More and more scientific research points to the right-on power of our “guts” to make quick, intuitive, and correct decisions (it’s not actually our intestines sending you these powerful hunches, but two bits of our brains, the ancient Amygdala and the tiny, hidden yet emotionally powerful Insula). "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: From what I’ve read so far yes, I would recommend this, especially for those new to tarot.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Palmistry or Chiromancy Explained by Riley Star **

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book relates to my craft in the sense of exploring palm reading as an interest.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I enjoyed this book, it’s more of a manual for learning palm reading. One that I will definitely refer back to as I continue my learning.

An interesting quote from the book: “Think of Palmistry as a psychic art where you tune in to your subject’s psyche via their palms, using what is basically psychometry or psychic touch.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, I would recommend this book to anyone curious about palmistry.

*** Not finished with Witchcraft for Emotional Wisdom by Paige Vanderbeck

5 Likes

@MeganB Wow, two winning books- I’m so happy that you enjoyed The Táin and Braiding Sweetgrass so much, Megan! :heart: For anyone interested in Irish mythology/Indigenous wisdom, these sound like great resources. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on both! :blush:

@Amethyst Congrats on finishing Witchcraft for Tomorrow, Amethyst! Sorry it was a bit more history-based than you were hoping for. I also have a tough time getting through history books, the names and dates don’t stick for me :sweat_smile: It does sound like it has some interesting bits though- thank you so much for sharing your review! :two_hearts:

@Torista Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Modern Tarot, Torista! It sounds like it has been a helpful guide as you learn your way through the cards, I’m glad it’s been helping you with your tarot studies! :blush: I hope you continue to enjoy it! :open_book:

@Rowan Bravo on finishing Palmistry or Chiromancy, Rowan- 10/10, it was a great read for you! :grinning: I was never really able to get into Palmistry, but it sounds like this could be a good entryway into that area of magick. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much! I hope that Witchcraft for Emotional Wisdom turns out to be just as good of a read for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

It was a good book and I’m glad I read it, but yeah, history is not my thing in large chunks. LOL!

6 Likes

Same here, my friend- there’s just something about names and dates that have a tough time sticking in my brain :sweat_smile: It’s a miracle I got through A Song of Ice and Fire haha

But I’m glad it was a worthwhile read despite the focus on history- I’m really glad you enjoyed it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Wicca by Harmony Nice

My overall rating of the book : 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It was a good refresher to test if i had forgotten any basic knowledge

My personal thoughts/opinions: I think this is a good book for anyone who has just discovered they are a witch and want to learn more. It was for me slightly repetitive as many new witchcraft and Wicca books i have read have similar knowledge. Overall i am happy i had the opportunity to read the book my favourite YouTuber wrote, and to test whether or not i had forgotten any of my initial learnings as a newbie witch since last year.

An interesting quote from the book: " There are so many misconceptions about the wand * cough * Harry Potter * Cough. "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

5 Likes

Hahaha it sounds like the book was written in a fun and playful way- sometimes that makes it easier to pay attention to and learn from! :grinning:

I’m glad you enjoyed the book and the magickal recap it offered for you. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about Wicca, Khadija! :books::two_hearts:

7 Likes

Sure no problem, and yes she has got a nice modern way of talking which keeps readers amused wanting to read more. Her YouTube videos are also this way too… :blush:

5 Likes