Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Book Title and Author
Happiness in Your Life: Forgiveness
by Doe Zantamata

Status
Finished

My Overall Rating of the Book
7/10

How does this book relate to my magical practice?

The key take away for me from this book is forgiveness is for me, not for those I forgive. Itā€™s for my healing and my being made whole. While not specifically about my magical practice, healing from trauma helps with my intentions, my focus, and so many other aspects of my life.

An Interesting Quote from the Book

People who donā€™t forgive say,
ā€œI cannot accomplish something BECAUSE OF that person.ā€

People who forgive say,
ā€œI can accomplish something REGARDLESS of that person.ā€

A full and real apology contains five things:

1. A realization of what they did wrong
  2. Taking responsibility for their words and actions
  3. Expressing sincere remorse
  4. An effort to make amends
  5. Assurance that it wonā€™t happen again in the future
    The more you have of these, the less likely it is to happen again. The fewer you have these, the more likely it will happen again.

The above quotes are from chapters 6 and 8, respectively.

Would I recommend this book?
Yes, if you have been through a bad relationship or had a falling out with a best friend or family member. I thought this was the weakest of her 4 books but overall I would still recommend it as it ties into the other books nicely. It covers things like the process of forgiveness, using meditation to help, and the benefits of forgiveness. She also has a section discussing the differences between revenge, punishment, and justice and how forgiveness works within those frameworks.

Book Title and Author
Happiness in Your Life: Trust
by Doe Zantamata

Status
Finished

8/10

We only have a certain amount of time here on earth, and we never know just how much that will be. If we truly value our own time and the time of others, we can navigate away from situations that waste it and towards those deep, meaningful connections that make the most beautiful and worthwhile experiences in life come true. - Chapter 5, TRUST AND CONNECTION

While, again, not specifically about magic, these are the kinds of books I need at this stage in my life. The quote above is a perfect example from this book and it is easy to see how one could apply that to anything else from their lives, including interactions in a coven. :wink:

Interesting Quotes from the Book

Trust is like air to our relationship. Without it, the relationship not survive. It must be valued and prioritized because with it, you have a mountain of confidence, but if it is broken, that mountain crumbles to dust.

When a person says, ā€œtrust is something that needs to be earned,ā€ itā€™s a big sign that this personā€™s trust was broken one too many times and they got fed up."
ā€¦but people who go by the trust has to be earned philosophy are already convicting every single person in the world for their crimes that donā€™t even exist and think thatā€™s a good way to go. Itā€™s not. No honest, good person with a healthy self-esteem will sign up for this. Why would they? Even if they like someone, being convicted and jailed mentally and emotionally is unfair punishment and itā€™s hurtful to someone who has done nothing wrong. -Chapter 1, THE IMPORTANCE OF TRUST

You are not a fool for trusting someone who lied to you. They are the fool for lying to someone who trusted them. -Chapter 1, THE IMPORTANCE OF TRUST

(The second half of the book is harder for people who are not ready to accept it so I wonā€™t quote from it.)

Yes. :star_struck: This is not a book for people that are still hurting, still need to forgive and release things. They wonā€™t be ready for the second half of the book. But for people that have been in the process of healing from trauma of all kinds, this book is necessary when they are ready for it.

5 Likes

A really powerful lesson- accepting this is a key towards taking control of your own life :old_key:. Itā€™s a great concept, but it is certainly easier said than done! This is a lesson I am still working on for myself :relieved:

It sounds like this book is an important stepping stone on the path towards recovery- but it looks like it may not be the first step. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice, Benjamin! :blush:

These books sound lovely- from your feedback and the quotes you shared, they look well-written. And more than being good reads, they sound like very powerful tools for healing! :pray:

Thanks again for sharing your reviews on these- perhaps someone who needs the guidance they offer, will now be able to enjoy these books! :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi All,

I am still reading my book, so I am not ready to post my review yet. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

No rush at all, @Rowan! :blush: Iā€™ve gone ahead and re-added you to the list for the next session of book club.

Relax, take your time, and enjoy your book! :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Thank you!:grin:

4 Likes

Book Title: Girls of Storm and Shadow

[Picture from Goodreads]

Author: Natasha Ngan

Status? Finished

Overall Rating: 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice: This book is a fantasy adventure that does not directly relate to my magickal practice. I read the first book as inspiration for some of my own writing projects and fell in love with the characters and world :heart_eyes: .

While this book doesnā€™t include spells or rituals, I was able to find inspiration for creative works that has helped me to further expand my other projects- some of which are magickal! :sparkles:

My personal thoughts: While it has its flaws, this book offers a world and characters that are unique- it features a main character and pairing that donā€™t often get the spotlight- a strong female lead in an LGBT relationship. The book also touches on dark themes (warning: sexual assault) and explores the ups and downs of the long road of healing.

Powerful quotes:

ā€œFear is good. It means you care. And caring is its own kind of magic.ā€

Would I recommend it? Yes- if you enjoy dark fantasy stories with meaningful messages :+1:

I flew through this book so quickly that I got started on my next book already! :laughing:

I found a list of Free Online Astrology Books through CafeAstrology :books: :milky_way: and I already jumped into Studies in Astrology by Elman Bacher.

Iā€™ll be continuing with Volume One for the next Book Club reading session :grin::+1:

I hope everyone else is having fun with their current books too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

OH Iā€™ve read the witchā€™s book of self care! Itā€™s as though I knew :black_heart:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Witches Book of Self-Care by Arin Murphy Hiscock

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book allowed me to acknowledge that we all need to just slow down and appreciate ourselves as much as our craft, our families, our to dos, etc. My craft is for me, it opens my eyes to many wonderful things, it opens my heart and soul in that I achieve in being the best me that I want to be. Its also made my life fuller by meeting each one of you.

My personal thoughts/opinions: It clicked something in me to do even the smallest things for myself sometimes in the form of self care. Many of us, forget that I believeā€¦We get so busy with our responsibilities and caring for others that we too often put ourselves last.

An interesting quote from the book: ā€œOne of magicā€™s main focuses is healingā€”healing of the self, healing of the earth, healing of humanity and nature. In this sense, magic and self-care go hand in hand. Self-care is a way to maintain your health, heal your spirit, and maintain or optimize your emotional, mental, and physical health. Magic helps with self-empowerment and exerting control over your life, encouraging a focus on yourself as the best person you can be. These are all things that resonate well with the general goal of self-care.ā€

Murphy-Hiscock, Arin. The Witchā€™s Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit (p. 11). Adams Media. Kindle Edition.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Witchcraft: A Secret History by Michael Streeter

Status?: Almost Finished. Sorry about this, I got mixed up on the dates but I will finish in the next couple days or so for sure, there isnā€™t much left. Itā€™s a fairly short book.

My overall reating of the book: 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Well considering that Iā€™m fairly new to the occult this book served me well in stabilizing my foundation of knowledge about the history of the Craft. From what Iā€™ve read itā€™s good to have a foundation of history early on so I feel like Iā€™m on the right track. Itā€™s good to know the roots of this new life Iā€™ve started for myself. :slight_smile:

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book was a pretty good read. It definitely focused a lot on the Witch Trials. It has a lot of information on how Witchcraft formed in different parts of the world and good info on different deities and how they came to exist. It feels, as I read this, that it was not necessarily created to be read specifically by witches, and so, I feel that it provides me with an outsiders view of the Craft and gives me some perspective. Itā€™s pretty broad and touches lightly on numerous subjects. I feel like Iā€™m ready for a deeper read next time around.

An interesting quote from the book: ā€œOdin himself was also closely identified with magic. The great one-eyed All-Father Godā€“also known as Woden or Wotan in other parts of Europeā€“was, among other things, the god of magic.ā€

As interested in the magickal side of things as I am, it is hard for me not to be inspired by Odin, who sacrificed so much for the gaining of knowledge and power.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, especially if you feel like you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture for a minute.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Supermarket Sabbats: A Magical Year Using Everyday Ingredients by Michael Furie.

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book had loads of ideas for people who canā€™t get to anything but the grocery store for magical ingredients. I shop mainly at my local store so it seemed perfect for me!

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a really great book for everyone wanting to celebrate the seasons. Especially if you donā€™t have a witchy store around or if youā€™re in the closet. Itā€™s filled with simmering potpourris, magical oils, incenses and other recipes to celebrate the season. The author has another book, Supermarket Magic, that Iā€™m wanting to get after reading this. He also came out with a book on potions just this month that looked interesting.

An interesting quote from the book: "A great deal of magic is centered around correspondences and sympathetic connections. Sympathetic magic is the style focused on the idea that things which share a similar nature can affect one another.ā€

A good way of explaining magic in my book. Without being too confusing.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: YES!

4 Likes

@BryWisteria thanks for the links to the astrology books, I found that the Rosicrucianā€™s have a free course list for astrology and other topics that interest me. I am going to be giving that a go.

5 Likes

You are very welcome, @Magdelina! And ohhh- that sounds awesome :heart_eyes: I found the website of the Rosicrucian Order and you are absolutely right- it looks like they have a bunch of free books available for everyone:

Rosicrucian Books

Here you will find a selection of books from the Rosicrucian Library that will be of interest to all mystics and students of mysticism and metaphysics including precious writings from all three Imperators: H. Spencer Lewis, Ralph M. Lewis and Christian Bernard. Almost all of the books that you will find here are free for you to download and enjoy.

[From Rosicrucian Books]

Thanks for bringing it up, CrazyT- this is a great resource for book lovers! :books:

4 Likes

It sounds like this book opened many new doors and helped to deepen your appreciation of not only the craft, but also your own life, Tamera! :sparkling_heart:

It sounds like a really wholesome and enjoyable read- thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! :grin:

A very interesting read, Colin- it sounds like this book gave a pretty good overview of the history of witchcraft! Itā€™s interesting that it took a very broad view- it sounds like it is pretty unbiased in its approach (offering a perspective not specifically for witches/those who arenā€™t witches).

Looks like you were able to learn a lot- and that you also opened to the door to new areas of magickal history and additional pagan paths! :star_struck: Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This sounds like a fantastic book that boosts creativity and helps a witch find what they need in the local supermarket. I imagine there are plenty of delicious recipes and creative crafting- truly a great find! :heart_eyes:

Reading the quote makes me want to explore ā€œSympathetic magicā€- it sounds like a lovely aspect of the craft and great way to find correspondences :blush:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback, Kasie! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Itā€™s got a lot of good information in between the recipes. It was a fun read. Glad you liked my review! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I finally found a book! I canā€™t wait for the next session to start now!

3 Likes

I love your excitement, Krissie! :raised_hands:

For anyone ready to begin reading- the next book club session has begun! :open_book: :grin: You can join in by sharing your current book in Spells8 Book Club V.

Love and Light!

3 Likes

Itā€™s a true story about a crime that was commited on Nantucket. The writer, Christina Worthington, was murdered. The book goes through what happened. I love reading books about things that have gone on in Massachusetts or where I live. They are so interesting.

3 Likes

Brianna, Did you read the other book, Girls of Paper and Fire? I love fantasy. Thank you for the review.

Tamera, self care is extremely important. I am glad you found this book and so thoroughly impacted by it.

Colin, your book sounds extremely interesting. Have you finished it since your review?

Kasie, fascinating book. Thank you for sharing. Question: I think you said elsewhere that this feels more like a reference book. Is that correct?

Krissie, I canā€™t wait for you to be doing this with us! :slight_smile:

Book Title and Author
How to Live a Good Life, A Guide to Choosing Your Personal Philosophy
by Massimo Pigliucci, Skye Cleary, Daniel Kaufman

Status
Finished

8/10

An Interesting Quote from the Book
This is an impossible book for me to quote. I literally made hundreds of notes in the margins. Iā€™ll share from the table of contents so you can see all the fascinating topics covered.

Yes! My only caveat is a couple of chapters in the Religious Traditions section feel more like the authors are proselytizing instead of sharing philosophy from their camps.

How To Live A Good Life

Book Title and Author
Aristotleā€™s Way, How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life
by Edith Hall

Status
Finished

7/10

Interesting Quotes from the Book
I made dozens of notes in this book. (Some of them were in disagreement with the authorā€™s conclusions.) Iā€™m sharing two here that really resonated with me.

Our collective intelligence, quite simply, is much greater than the sum of its parts.

Surely responsible citizens of the global village need to take the initiative and argue for an education which covers the ā€œthings which are of common interestā€ for their fellow citizens. Aristotle would have agreed with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who on 7 January 1968ā€¦delivered a sermonā€¦

ā€œā€¦I donā€™t ever want you to forget that there are millions of Godā€™s children who will not and cannot get a good education, and I donā€™t want you feeling that you are better than they are. For you will never be what you ought to be until they are what they ought to be.ā€

We cannot as twenty-first-century citizens fully achieve the actualization of our own Aristotelian dynamis until we make part of our work ensuring that everyone else on the planet is given the education and support that allows them to fulfill their potential as well. For we will never be fully what we ought to be until the human race can do so in entirety.

Yes. This was a deep first dive into Aristotle and the author references her research so the reader can learn more. The chapters in this book are Happiness, Potential, Decisions, Communication, Self-Knowledge, Intentions, Love, Community, Leisure, and Morality. Each one can stand alone but they also all build on each other and are perfect for modern living.

Aristotleā€™s Way

3 Likes

I will be reading this time, I started Reasonable Doubt today & I canā€™t wait to share my review! Iā€™m not feeling as disoriented as I was this morning, but I took some time to do my thing today with a visit from each of my boys, so itā€™s turning out to be a good day. Even if it is cold, raw, and raining.

4 Likes

Yes, in a way. I mean its got good information on Sabbats but itā€™s mostly recipes of a sort. Powders, incenses, brews and the like. All geared around the holidays and seasons.

3 Likes