Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Heh, if you’re to-read list is like mine, you’ll be under it forever!

6 Likes

Yes! So she’s got a very casual way of referring to people in general and that’s just how she speaks. Dollface, cupcake, poptart, etc. are all little names that she uses for people instead of saying “hey guys” or “y’all” or something lol

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: Brigid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the /celtic Goddess by Courtney Weber

Status? : Finished / Still Reading : /still reading

My overall rating of the book : 5/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Learning if I can work with Goddess Brigid

My personal thoughts/opinions: I had a hard time with the history part and trying to keep interested in it.

An interesting quote from the book: " "Brigid’s energy is real. Brigid’s Magick works. Every spell I have worked through Brigid has come to manifestation.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: So far yes.

4 Likes

@TheMuslimWitch You know you’ve got a good book when you have to get out the sticky notes/markers to mark quotes and passages! :grin: :heart:

@Amethyst Hahaha oh goodness I feel that- so many books! So little time to read them all! :books::laughing:

@MeganB It sounds like she is pretty creative with the names- it’s certainly a fun personal touch to the writing style! :grinning:

Sorry to hear that Brigid wasn’t what you were hoping for, Debra- I know I feel the same when books spend more time going through history notes than focusing on spellwork and info for the here and now. I hope the book improves for you as you get deeper! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about it- blessed reading! :open_book: :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

I’ve been reading this book for awhile know, and it’s about time I give my own personal reflection :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:five stars! Cyndi is a very knowledgeable about Hekate and her hidden mysteries and epithets! She has a school about Hekate and teaches modern psychology and uses witchcraft for healing and teaches at her school called Covina. She also can be found on utube.
Jeannie

10 Likes

Book Title and Author: Chakras for Beginners: A Complete Guide About the 7 Chakras By: Leigh Cantrell

Status?: Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

• I am an empath & have been taking crystal healing courses. Chakra energy was a class & they were touched upon, but I want to understand them if I am going to use their energy with crystal energies for healing & other energy work.

My personal thoughts/opinions:

• Great beginner book with in depth information about each Chakra broken down easily.

An interesting quote from the book:

”…It’s best to maintain an open mind & rely on your own experiences.” (Pg: 214)

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

• Yes, I would recommend it to someone interested in any capacity of the 7 (main) Chakras & their energies.
5 Likes

The template is:

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

I actually have another 1 to write up. I have another book that I started, so I need to add that one, but I don’t know if I’ll finish it before the end. So my review will probably be in the next session :rofl:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Chakras Healing: A Beginner’s Guide to Self Healing Techniques that Balance the Chakras By: Margarita Alcantara

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10 /10

How does this book relate to my magical practice?:

It is a great book for beginners looking for different ways to incorporate Chakra Healing their practice. There are meditation, essential oils, crystals, yoga, mantra… & it’s set up by each Chakra starting with the Root Chakra.

I enjoy each section & their recommendations coincide with practices that I already use regularly.

”…you may also be able to heal multiple chakras with a single crystal. Selenite is a wonderful crystal – one that clears debris in the energy body & helps overcome stagnation, allowing yourself to communicate more clearly with your Higher Self” (Pg:159)

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

Yes, I would recommend it to someone interested in self-healing techniques for their energy centers.

6 Likes

Another 10/10- you are a roll with your reading, Siofra, and also on a roll of finding some great books! :partying_face: It sounds like you are really thriving with your chakra and energy work :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And from the quote you shared, it sounds like this book ties in very well with your crystal studies too- how cool! :gem:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about Chakras Healing! :heart::open_book:

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: Charms, Amulets, and Talismans by Marian Green

Status? : Finished (finally lol)

Not only did I not manage to get my hands on a new witchy book, it took me way longer than expected to get through the last few pages of this book from last session :sweat_smile: Not blaming the book though- just a busy schedule!

My overall rating of the book : 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It’s a book offering an introduction and general coverage of many various aspects of magick. The sections of the book are as follows:

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book was in the gift shop at the British Museum and I couldn’t resist getting it :laughing:. I had very low expectations for the book as a gift shop purchase from a historical museum, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much passion the author used. And it turns out that Marian Green is not just a writer, but is an actual practicing witch and seems to have quite presence in witchy communities in the UK :woman_mage: So big points there.

The book is good and covers a lot of ground. However, the author makes a comment about a “Chinese cat amulet” next to a picture of a Japanese Maneki-neko. It’s a rather harmless (and common) mistake- but anytime I read something and catch an error like that I’m unable to trust other things the author says :sweat_smile:

Would I recommend this book?: Yes… to those who want a basic intro to many various areas of magick all in one book. It is a good book for someone who knows nothing about magick (even if they don’t want to practice it themselves but want to learn more).

Those more advanced in their path will find some interesting things, but aren’t the target audience for this book.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Making Magic: Weaving Together the Everyday and the Extraordinary by Briana Saussy.

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10!

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is all about getting back to the basics and relearning what you know about magic. Taking it down to the brass tacks.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This was a great book, not filled with spells but with the wisdom of nature and ritual. The magic of being yourself and the sacred breath, the magic that runs in your blood. It was very interesting! I loved it!

An interesting quote from the book: “Magic tells a different story: every curse holds it’s cure; every broken place carries within it a deep blessing, a hope. The deeper the wound, the bigger the benediction, and no broken place is too great, too terrible, to keep brave blessings away.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: YES!

5 Likes

:weary: still on the same book. I blame it on the house of earth and blood novel by Sarah J. Maas. It calls to me lol plus i just got to the juicy part… :laughing: :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

I think I’d like to pick this up! Looks great!

6 Likes

**Book Title and Author: I was quite bored by mine, i totally switched, the book I am now reading (and an so obsessed with) is Laurie Cabots Book of Spells and Enchantments

Status? : Still Reading, I tried to get through foraging but it was so dull and i have given up on trying to be an herbal witch! Not my forte at all! So I started this new book 2 days ago and am obsessed! Super detailed, fun to read and so practical! It makes magick seem much more personal to me and lets me experiment like i keep wanting to do, i now can add a few enhancing herbs or crystals or other things to my spells and have been having great results!

My overall rating of the book : ??? 10/10 so far!

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: asked and answered( been watching too much of the Johnny depp trial :rofl:)

So many good quotes in this book! Two favorites are

"No one can take away your personal power unless you allow it "
and

“You can see, feel and hear the enchantment wherever you go, in whatever you do.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Highly reccommend and a must for any witches library!

6 Likes

That’s a great review, I have seen that book before & wondered about it, like is it more of a reference book such as a cookbook type of set up or if it was in fact a book about them as a whole with the different “recipes” intertwined. I find that a lot with books about deities & their stories or associations.

4 Likes

:blush: It was a good book!

4 Likes

@Amethyst i started it this afternoon! It’s lovely so far!

5 Likes

Im haven’t finished my books yet due to being sick and sleeping alot

5 Likes

It’s a great book, at least I think so. I’m glad you’re liking it!

So sorry to hear you’ve been so sick. You can always put down the same book next month. It’s all good.

5 Likes

I am only on the 9th chakra right now :laughing: once I finish this one, I will happily post a review for it. I have another book all lined up too! I’m excited about it too!

4 Likes