Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

I understand completely. Astrology can be extremely overwhelming. It’s taken me years to understand what I do of it, and that still seems like just a drop in the bucket.

And then I was introduced to sidereal astrology, sometimes referred to as Eastern astrology like that used by the Hindus. And then came again the overwhelm. I’m not even the same sun sign in sidereal astrology!

I hope you don’t let the overwhelm stop you from continuing to learn all you can about astrology. It’s a long and winding road, but so far I’ve found it to be most helpful in helping find my way on my path as a witch. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart: :+1:

6 Likes

Oh, I’m not letting it stop me! I’m just going to have to revisit it when I have more knowledge under my belt. I have very basic knowledge of astrology as I’ve just begun learning. It’s something I’ve always been interested in but never really took an active step to learn about. The last few months my cards and various signs have been pointing to be trying something new, outside my comfort zone so I’m taking the plunge. I know it will be a long process but I enjoy learning.

6 Likes

Honestly, I couldnt get passed the first few pages & abandoned the book to start reading Hands of Light by: Barbara Brennan.

Hands of Light is a good book once you have the basics of the main 7 Chakras. This goes much more in depth & has some great exercises & meditations. There are also questions at the end of each chapter to review what it was about each time. I found that helpful because I have cognitive impairments.

It was written from her experoences point of view & scientists that have done research in the area of energy healing. It made me realize that some things that have been revealed much more intensely & some that hadn’t been used due to blockages, that I am highly emapthic in multiple ways & have been since I was younger but either thought it happened to everyone or didn’t know what it was I just did it. There are 2 other books by the same author in almost a trilogy regarding healing.

5 Likes

Reading shouldn’t be a chore- good for you for recognizing that it was time to set that one aside and pick up a new one, Siofra! It sounds like Hands of Light has a lot of exciting content- I hope you continue to enjoy it! :heart::blush:

5 Likes

I am about 20 pages away from finishing Mindfulness - so close and yet so far! :laughing: I tried to finish in one epic reading session last night but I fell asleep lol. I could probably write a review at this point, but I’m determined to finish this one! So I’ll plan my review for next week :wink:

Hope everyone enjoyed/is enjoying their books! :books::heart:

6 Likes

Oh no, I finished Hands of Light, but do you think I can find a review for it…um… no… so I will have to, I don’t know what for that one… I really thought I did a review for it before I started the 2nd book :thinking:

I haven’t finished the

I just had a lot going on & while I did read when I could, I’m about halfway through it. I love it so far. It’s written from her own experience & then shares what she has learned over the many years of practicing & learning she has done. It definitely makes me feel more in tune with my practice.

5 Likes

Don’t look at me over here as I haven’t finished any of my books… :laughing: I will be continuing them into the next session!

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore, & Herb Craft by Ann Moura

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice: As a green witch, this book is a great introduction to Green Level magick – herb craft and folk magic

My personal thoughts/opinions: Ms. Maura does an excellent job of explaining Green Witchcraft as elements of modern Witchcraft and neopaganism. Her style of writing is easy to follow and understand. She explains how her family has historically done things but also how things are performed in other practices such as Wicca. Throughout the book she stresses that it is up to the practitioner to determine what is right for them. Within the book, she also gives several example rituals to use for each of the sabbats, the esbats, handfasting and handparting, dedication ritual, and a initial/re-dedication ritual.

An interesting quote from the book: I couldn’t choose one so here are a few that stood out to me.

“The conversation between the practitioner of the Craft and the Deities is ongoing and the rituals are for our benefit, not theirs – they do not need nor require them.”

Related: “…these celebrations are not done for the Lady and the Lord, but for us. They do not need or requires worship and offerings. You do not need rituals when you can simply let your own energies blend and flow with those of surrounding nature to communicate with the Divine.”

“There is no room for fearfulness, doubt, or negativity regarding what nature has to offer, and from this comes the ability to feel the presence in all things. Divination of any type becomes a daily activity that is a communication with all of nature and the Lady and the Lord.”

"Whenever there is something negative in the reading, I use that as a message to direct some positive energy into an area of my life or the lives of those dear to me. There is nothing wrong with foreboding in the cards simply because things can be changed. "

“…it is what you put into the spell that makes it work not just a combination of ingredients.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, I think it is a great read for anyone interested in green magick.

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: Everyday Tarot by Brigit Belmont

My overall rating of the book: 15/10!!

How does this book relate to my magical practice: I wanted to learn more about using the tarot in my everyday life. The author who wrote this also founded Biddy Tarot and I’ve heard great things about her teaching.

An interesting quote from the book: “Self-discovery comes from having a conversation with yourself, just as you would anyone else you were getting to know better. In that way, the Daily Tarot exercise goes well beyond mindfulness; it is the crux of self-discovery through tarot. And, if you ask me, that makes it one of the most important pieces in the book. Self-discovery builds the trust needed to rely on the intuitive messages that come through the Tarot practices we’ll be discussing in the chapters to come.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! This is less a book about the tarot and more about intuition and reclaiming your power through tarot. It’s got wonderful little rituals you can do and meditations, it’s just great!

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Casting Sacred Space: The Core of All Magical Work by Ivo Dominguez Jr.

My overall rating of the book: 3 out of 10.

How does this book relate to my magical practice: I was hoping to learn new techniques for casting circles and creating sacred space. I might have if I could get through it. The book goes way over my head and is not a fun thing to read, more like punishment really. I just can’t get through it.

An interesting quote from the book: “Centering is finding balance and true identity within yourself while being open to the flow of energy.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Nope.

Guys, I’m sorry, I just couldn’t with this book. I wanted to so desperately but I kept getting distracted by other shiny things to read. LOL!

8 Likes

Hey, there’s no shame in not finishing a book, especially if you can’t read it or it isn’t interesting to you. Reading should be fun, entertaining, and educational!

8 Likes

Well, if I didn’t just find a new book to add… I have been reconnecting with one of my tarot decks & this would definitely come in handy as I work on my intuition & reclaiming my power… it’s really just an ongoing process of transformation over the last 2 years :joy:

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow

Status?: Still Reading, about 1/3 way through

My overall rating of the book: so far 6/10, lots of good information with meditations and rituals to perform along the way but the focus so far has only been on the dark/shadow side.

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: As a green witch, this is my practice. In addition, I’ve been needing to explore the darker side of magick to understand it.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I’m enjoying the book so far (if all the flags give it away, lol). Right off the bat the author points out that by learning both the light and dark sides of magick, you function as a while being - connecting with the whole of nature and the universe. She reinforces my belief that there is no devil in the Craft and that evil lies in human intent.

An interesting quote from the book: “To hate another person because that person has something you think you lack will only drain you of your power. That person, too, is part of the All. Success will come only if you work for your Self, not against another’s Self.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Unsure at this moment. While I’m enjoying the information, I’m not far enough in to know if the whole book is worth reading.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Old Girl’s Book of Spells: The Real Meaning of Menopause, Sex, Car Keys, and Other Important Stuff
by Cal Garrison

Status?: Finished

My overall rating of the book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It’s full of practical everyday spells for the everyday needs of Witches in the Crone stage.

My thoughts and opinions: I loved it! The writer’s sense of humor is awesome as she delivers hard truths about aging…she makes it all seem much more lighthearted and normalized than usual.

Some interesting quotes from the book:

All in all, would I recommend this book?: If you’re in the Crone stage I absolutely recommend this book!

8 Likes

I’m so glad you’re enjoying The Witch Wavelength- it sounds like it’s not only a great read, it’s helping you evolve your practice too! I hope it continue to be fun for you, Siofra :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hahaha I know that feeling very well- sometimes life gives us time to read, and other times it has other plans for us! :laughing: No worries at all! I hope you continue to enjoy your books, Megan :heart:

It sounds like I would really resonate with the tone of the author- from what you’ve said, she writes in a really approachable and friendly way! :blush: Thanks so much for sharing your review, Amaris! :sparkles:

FIFTEEN OUT OF TEN!!! :star_struck: The scales have broken- we have a winner, folks! :star2: :tada:

Hahaha I am thrilled that you found such a great read, Amethyst!!! It sounds like Everyday Tarot has advice that goes through tarot and beyond- it sounds like a valuable read for anyone hoping to improve and enhance their intuition :blush: Thanks for your review!

One great and one not-so-great book- I suppose that’s balance, huh? Hahaha no worries at all about setting this one aside- I think we all find ourselves with things that just aren’t as appealing as other things on the bookshelf! :laughing:

Thanks so much for your honest review- I hope the next book you find will be a much more enjoyable one for you! :blush:

You are really embracing your Green Witchery, Amaris- good for you! :green_heart: :sparkles: I hope the focus shifts more towards the aspects you want to learn about- may the rest of the book keep getting better! Happy reading :open_book:

What a title for a book! It definitely has me intrigued :star_struck: I’m not quite in my Crone years yet, but it’s really hearetening to know there is soo quality content out there that addressing important factors during this stage of life’s journey.

I’m really glad you enjoyed the book, August- thank you very much for sharing your review! :heart:

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: Mindfulness by Domyo Sater Burk

Status? : Finished (yay! :tada:)

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Mindfulness is something in my practice that I have been working to enhance and increase. I got this book in hopes that it would help me focus more and encourage my meditations as well! :woman_in_lotus_position:

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really enjoyed this book. I’m not a fast reader these days and it took me a while to get through it, but it was worth it! I love the writing style Domyo uses and how she approaches each topic from multiple points of view and perspectives.

Just a note that she does come from a Buddhist background, and this book takes a Zen approach to mindfulness and meditation. It’s usually very general, but Buddhism is mentioned by name several times throughout. As my own background is in Zen Buddhism this actually helped me relate more to the approaches, but I can see how it might be offputting at times to those who practice mindfulness in tandem with other religions.

An interesting quote from the book: (I bookmarked several passages I really liked- here are just a few!)

“The absence of things can call extra attention to what’s still present- and all of your questions about it… Pushing the edges of your comfort zone may help you tap into the wonderful, spacious experience from childhood of just being.” [pg. 146]

“Mindfulness allows you to experience life directly, without the duality of ideas. You don’t even have to fight ideas; you just have to return to awareness of the present moment. Life is real. Ideas and words are just creations to describe it so we can communicate with one another.” [pg. 205]

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! A resounding yes to anyone looking to develop their mindfulness and/or meditation practice. Especially for those who haven’t been clicking with mindfulness and want a new, holistic perspective. And one additional yes to anyone who has an interest in the Zen style of meditation but aren’t sure where to start.

6 Likes

This book has been on my list for a while but I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger. I’m definitely going to purchase it now! Thanks for the review.

3 Likes

This is exactly how I know I’m not really into a book that I think I’m into! I absolutely love Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. But when the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, I had to attempt to read it six times before I could finish it. 8 kept picking up other books asking the way. Finally when over a week holiday (it came out in '97 when I was a wee lass, :joy:), I forced myself to read it… Only to learn that like the first couple and last couple chapters actually added although to the story line. The rest was King trying to write a romance and it was bad. It’s the only one of the series I didn’t keep and haven’t re-read.

After that though, I learned that if I try to start a book and it takes me more than 2 attempts, give it up. I give myself 2 because sometimes life happens.

So least you liked the book by Biddy Tarot!!

5 Likes

Thanks, @MeganB. I tried, honest.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I’m glad the tarot one was to my liking. I have no idea what I’ll be reading next month, since I may not have internet.

4 Likes