Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Ohhhhhh it is always great to have extra creativity-boosting resources on hand! :grinning:

And Epitaphs are the texts written on tombstones, yes? Are they also used for deities in rituals or as an offering? It sounds really interesting- I’d love to know more! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Sorry, I think I either wrote it wrong, or spell check got to me. Names, like Hecate Brimo, Hecate Soitiera, things like that.

For instance, in this body, I am Kasie the brave, the coward, the student, the teacher, the witch, the silly … it goes on and on until you want to stop. It was a really interesting ritual.

5 Likes

Ohhhh spell check always switching things up on us :laughing: No worries at all- that really does sound like an interesting ritual! :star_struck:

I really like the idea of using opposing traits/opposite things (like “student” and then “teacher”)- it makes it seem like these things are two sides of the same coin, coming together in a wonderful multifaced entity :coin: :sparkles:

Thanks so much, @Amethyst- it’s a great idea from what seems like a really interesting book! :open_book: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s a good book!

6 Likes

Good afternoon. Thank you for your honesty. This book :open_book: sounds interesting :thinking: I think I will look into it.

Medea

5 Likes

Book Review for:

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to be educated on a very high level on Hoodoo for what it is, where it derived and what the basic practices are. It’s very interesting, however if you want a complete primer on Hoodoo and education at a deeper level, you should either start here and be prepared to move past it to more robust volumes, or start there with other readings.

5 Likes

Ooo @jan_TheGreenWitch … for informational value I would like to know more right now… I don’t know if I would practice any, but I’d rather learn about it & decide that way than just write it off because I honestly don’t know much about it. Thank you! (adds to future reading list…) :hugs:

5 Likes

I love Ann Moura’s other books, so I will get this one and read it, looks interesting @Amaris_Bane , Thank you! :open_book:

6 Likes

Getting it @Amethyst , thanks for the review and recommendation! :open_book:

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I hope you like it!

6 Likes

Comparative religion is a ‘hobby’ of mine since I was 18 and entered a liberal arts college and it has just blossomed since then. I will pick this up for sure! :open_book:
Thanks @BryWisteria

6 Likes

I have the first three of this series from her. I love her writing. I have yet to start book three as I got distracted with others, lol. I have so many to read between my fiction, work, and craft reading.

6 Likes

A theme I’ve seen in book reviews is that it’s actually fairly rare to come across a resource that specializes in higher levels/advanced content. So many of them are geared towards beginners or early intermediate practitioners- this is really neat to see a book that dives into the deeper levels! :grinning:

Hoodoo and Voodoo have never called to me, but it is really interesting to hear your thoughts and what you absorbed from this book. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review, @jan_TheGreenWitch! :heart::books:

Go for it! :raised_hands: It sounds like it might be something right up your alley- I hope you enjoy it, and that you can overcome the hurdles I had with it (which, to be fair, are likely just personal irks about it haha)

Blessed reading! :open_book: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Witchcraft For The Home: Spells, Rituals &Remedies for a Magical Dwelling by Mystic Dylan

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book helped me in fine tuning some magical aspects of the home, as well as show me some little tips and tricks about listening to the energy in my home.

My personal thoughts/opinions: First off, I am a fan of Mystic Dylan and any of his books, they are always written in such a way that it feels like a quaint little visit to the witch in the nearest woods for a chit chat over tea. But this book was easy to read (kept my attention) and broadened my knowledge in the workings within my home.

An interesting quote from the book: " ~Nurturing a Witch’s Power ~We all need to recharge from time to time, and that is especially true for the witch, who is constantly using the energies around them. A witch must have a space of their own in which to decompress and relax. For the witch to nurture their power, they must feel safe and secluded. This is why privacy is so important. Find a space to call your own where you can escape from the outside world. Add a comfy blanket, some calming music, a favorite crystal, and anything else that helps you relax. Selenite, a salt-based crystal, is perfect for cleansing and renewing magical energy. Carrying black stones such as hematite, tourmaline, and onyx is also great for protection and grounding."

Dylan, Mystic. Witchcraft for the Home: Spells, Rituals & Remedies for a Magical Dwelling (pp. 24-25). Rockridge Press. Kindle Edition. "
All in all, would I recommend this book?: Definitely I would.

8 Likes

I am loving everything you’ve said about this book, but my favorite line has to be this:

This is such a great way to describe a book??? Like, I wish every book had this kind of homey warmth and welcoming feeling to it- this is exactly what I want to walk away with after spending time with a book! I love it! :open_book: :heart:

Thanks so much for sharing your review- it sounds like this was really a great read! Mystic Dylan’s advice you shared really hits home. This one just might be going on my to-read list :wink::sparkles:

7 Likes

Okay, this is going on my wish list. Thanks for the great recommendation!

7 Likes

Its free right now with Kindle Unlimited.
Blessed Be,

7 Likes

OOh, thanks so much!

6 Likes

This collection of book reviews covers sessions I ~ XX of the Spells8 Book Club.

After reading all the reviews- do you have a witchy book in mind? Join the current session of Book Club in the Activities Category! :books::grinning:

@jan_TheGreenWitch Book Review: Spirited - Rebecca Rosen

Book Title and Author:
Spirited - Connect to the guides all around you
Rebecca Rosen

Status? :
Finished - this book is a quick read, but could take weeks and a few re-reads if you do the exercises with ‘purpose’

My overall rating of the book :
8.5 - This book is put forth as a path to find your own way and personal practice of spirit work, but it is truly a simplified version of honing your psychic powers in the most elementary way and I feel like there was a lot of things that weren’t explained enough to use, and the testimonials were a few too many for my liking, I would have enjoyed more meat on the bone. The one passage that alludes to the Akashic records is so brief, it should have either been left out or expounded on in at least the most brief way.

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:
This book discusses how to use your intuition better and hone psychic abilities since they are the foundation of using and cultivating your various different clairs to tap into spirit energies in three forms: passed loved ones, guardian angels, spirit guides.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
This book is a primer for someone’s entry into working with spirits and why one would want to do so — presented in a not so woo woo way for the most part (as much as you can when your subject matter is speaking to the dead). Rebecca has created an easily digestible read with very concrete ways to tap into your own intuition to reach out and work with your guides/spirits to deal with unresolved issues in this life or prior lives and create a life you desire. She also explains how to gain comfort and move past grief in a healing way so that it is not disruptive in the present.

She focuses on how to be mindful in the present and not to procrastinate with dealing with our ‘baggage’ in life because you either deal with it now, or you will need to deal with it in the afterlife in one way or another. Unaddressed issues will always come back to haunt you so you may as well address them head on. Rebecca states that everything in your life you are dealing with is of your own creation, either set in place with your Soul Group in the afterlife or by your own actions here in this life. Even cancer and things that appear to be out of our own sphere of control she explains that they are ultimately of our own creation, and why.

I like all of the meditations she offers in the appendices and mantra/chants to bring in and attract the right type of spirit and how to protect yourself along the way. The book draws on many teachings, especially those of Hinduism and aspects of Tibetan Buddhism specifically around reincarnation even though she specifically states that she is not purporting any religious beliefs. She explains reincarnation well and also what happens when you die, and subsequently in the afterlife.

I like Charmin’s ‘review’ on GoodReads which is more of a summary, I’ve included a snapshot below for those wanting more information.

An interesting quote from the book:
“He continued to attract people into his life that drained his energy…. He alone made the choice to stifle his needs, invite people into his life who needed him, and then resent them for it afterward. Once he recognized and took responsibility for his contribution to the situation, he regained power over his life and started making different choices.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?:
Yes - if you are interested in the spirit realm and honing your psychic powers and clairs, this is a great book with interesting perspective and insight into this practice - if you are more advanced and already have your own practice and belief system regarding spirits and the afterlife, unless you want to know about another perspective, this will not provide more extensive experience for you.

8 Likes