Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

Book Title and Author: Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson

Status: Not finished yet but I have a general impression so far.

My overall rating of the book: 8/10

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a practical book for intermediate-level witches. While it is an older book and sometimes feels outdated, it is filled with useful and actionable advice for Non-Wiccan witches from the very first pages. The author approaches witchcraft from a Western Esoteric perspective and includes lots of content regarding divinatory and talismanic work.

There are some things I would change about the way itā€™s written but considering it was first published in 1970 I donā€™t mind it. I donā€™t think this book is for everyone today. But I can see why it was so influential back in its day and I think it was the first book of its kind so it reads like a classic.

How does this book relate to my magickal practice? The book includes a section of spells and rituals. I found some to be questionable by modern standards, for example non-consensual potion drinking ideas. However in the other ones, the steps and the divinatory work are very inspiring. I think I will adapt and incorporate some the authorā€™s ideas in my personal work.

An interesting quote from the book:

On the topic of invoking deities and spirits:

ā€œDo not despair if the operation is not an immediate apparent success. The door of vision is one which opens slowly but yields to persistence. Remember the advice of the Chaldean oracles: ā€œInvoke often!ā€ As long as the intent is a serious oneā€¦ā€

All-in-all, would I recommend this book? Yes :+1:

7 Likes

The House Witch sounds like a very cozy book- and thatā€™s neat how it draws on fire (hearth) magick as well! :fire: Thanks for the review, @Susurrus!

Another powerful message about living in the moment and treasuring the current life we are blessed with- thanks for sharing, @Princess_Tara! :pray:

It sounds like you enjoyed The House Witch too, @Rowan :blush: Glad you found it to be full of useful things- thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Glad you enjoyed A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, @RyuWyn :open_book: It really does cover a lot of information- thatā€™s a beautiful quote about practicing with the earth in mind :earth_americas:

Thereā€™s something powerful about old books- while some information does become outdated, other bits of wisdom can be forgotten but still retain their value. It sounds like Mastering Witchcraft is an interesting read- glad you enjoyed it, @Francisco! :books:

9 Likes

I just about forgot to post my review! Oops. LOL!

Book Title and Author: The Horned God by Jason Mankey

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I wanted to get to know the Horned God as more than just a partner for the Goddess. This book helped me with that.

My personal thoughts/opinions: From the ancient cave paintings to the modern return of Pan, this book covers the Horned God in all His glory! Itā€™s a pretty easy read too, making history interesting. I really liked it! It also has some lovely rituals.

An interesting quote from the book: "In a world filled of misogynists, racists, bigots, and other assholes, the Horned God is a figure to aspire to. He is a father, a lover, a nurturer and a protector. He represents the best of what we can be. In a world where we too often feel let down by those around us, the Horned God is a figure who always rises to the occasion.ā€

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

7 Likes

Thanks for the review, @Amethyst- it looks like The Horned God was a really great read! :open_book::blush: And from the quote you shared, it looks like the author has a knack for writing in an approachable and even perhaps funny way.

So glad you enjoyed it and it helped you to connect with the Horned God! :deer::green_heart:

5 Likes

Thanks to @Amethyst for jumping my memory- I hadnā€™t written up my book review yet either! :laughing:

Like @Jewitch, I enjoyed Cooling Herbs for Hot Summer Days. It was a quick read, but will maintain a lasting place in my (digital) herbal library as a go-to herbal reference book :open_book: :herb:

Book Title: Cooling Herbs for Hot Summer Days

Author: The Herbal Academy

Status? : Finished

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: As a Green Witch, I was interested in how this book covers several medicinal herbs in-depth. Special attention is given to their properties for beating the summer heat. The seven herbs covered are:

-Bee Balm
-Calendula
-Hibiscus
-Plantain
-Rose
-Spearmint
-St Johnā€™s Wort

The book also has tips for foraging and seven herbal recipes that use the herbs that were explored.

My personal thoughts/opinions: The Herbal Academy has a lot of content that Iā€™ve enjoyed over the years- and this book did not let me down either! Considering itā€™s available to download for free, itā€™s a surprisingly good reference book. Seven herbs are examined in detail, plus additional tips for gathering, and a boon of summer herbal recipes.

The book is nicely designed, uses modern and approachable language (very welcome after some of the older books Iā€™ve read recently :sweat_smile: ), and is actually pretty fun to read. After reading, it is a wonderful reference book that can be stored in your digital library.

Like Wade mentioned, itā€™s not the most thorough dive into herbalism and shouldnā€™t be anyoneā€™s sole herbal reference book. But for a free eBook to be downloaded and read instantly, plus its fun recipes, I was really pleased with it! :grin::+1:

An interesting quote recipe from the book:

I burn very easily and Iā€™ve always used aloe vera in various forms to treat sunburn. But after seeing this recipe I think Iā€™d like to give St. Johnā€™s Wort a try to compare and contrast how the two herbs treat sunburn :herb::balance_scale:

Recipe : After Sun Oil

To be used to soothe sunburns/ sun-damaged skin or as part of a more complex after sun cream or balm.

Ingredients

• Ā½ cup fresh St. Johnā€™s wort (Hypericum perforatum) aerial parts
  • 2 cups (16 fl oz) olive oil
  • Quart-sized glass canning jar
  • Natural waxed paper

Directions

ā€¢ Place fresh St. Johnā€™s wort on a drying screen and let it wilt for at least 24 hours to release some of the moisture before adding oil.
ā€¢ Place wilted plant material in a sterilized, dry, quart-sized glass canning jar.
ā€¢ Pour room-temperature oil over plant material, making sure herbs are
completely covered and oil is at least 1 inch above the top of the herb.
Use a sterilized, dry spoon or chopstick to mix thoroughly so that all
surfaces of the herb are coated and no air bubbles remain.
ā€¢ Place a square piece of natural waxed paper on top of the jar, then seal jar with a lid (this protects oil from any chemical coating that may be on the lid).
ā€¢ Place the jar in a dark, warm spot, and let the mixture sit for 4-6
weeks. Every 1-3 days, roll the jar in your hands to help mix the
contents and release the herbal constituents into the oil.
ā€¢ When time is up, strain the herbs through layered cheesecloth and
reserve the oil.
ā€¢ Label and store oil in a cool, dark place.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, absolutely!

If you have any interest in Green Witchery, Herbalism, Kitchen Witchery, or even just DIY natural cosmetics and remedies- this book is worth checking out.

7 Likes

Thanks @BryWisteria

Indeed I enjoyed reading the book throughout. I really got a clear view about life.

Annesha

5 Likes

Iā€™m so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book so much, @Princess_Tara! Itā€™s truly a wonderful thing to find a great book :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope your next book for the current Book Club Session is just as enjoyable! :heart:

Blessed be!

5 Likes

Indeed, @BryWisteria

I am enjoying the current book a lot because this answered my many question already.

@anneshakargupta

5 Likes

I really liked that quote from your book that you included. As a new practitioner, I believe it is important for me to be persistent and feel sure that if I persist, I will succeed. I also need to keep in mind that no one is an expert at the beginning. As a former public school teacxher, Iā€™m so used to having expertise in my subject, that itā€™s taking me a minute to realize Iā€™m starting from scratch again. I am determined! Thanks again form your review!

5 Likes

Well said! The real magic occurs in the childā€™s mind. If we can enter that state, that beginnerā€™s mind, we open the door to so many possibilities. Kudos to you for embarking in the task of learning from scratch!

Source

6 Likes

I really love the sound of this book :blush: its sounds really interesting.

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: A Mandala of Cards the Buddha Tarot by Robert M. Place

Status? : Finished

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This teaches about ā€œMandalaā€ which is essential for maintaining the focus for during spellcasting. It teaches about the Wheel of Fortune which is The Mandala or Consciousness or Wheel of law or Wheel of life or Wheel of Justice, in other words, and the position of 7 Chakras, the position of 4 element and how those can be reached through 4 Yoga, the position of triumph card of Tarot Divination within this Wheel of Fortune. Following these 4 Yoga helps to develop the intuition & knowledge power for ritual and spellcasting purpose most.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This present consciousness is necessary to have speedy progress for developing intuition.

An interesting quote from the book: ā€œOne who is awake requires everyone to live in a present consciousness because the past has gone and the future will come to you for enjoyment.ā€

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes. Here is the link: A Mandala of Cards: The Buddha Tarot: Robert Place: 9788178223032: Amazon.com: Books

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: The American Indian Secrets of Crystal Healing by Luc Bourgault

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book relates by teaching the Cherokees and Apache tribe ways of crystal healing.

My personal thoughts/opinions:
This book really has valuable information! Thereā€™s an exercise from the book that I enjoyed doing. Itā€™s energizing your food, drink, meds. You first have to energize your hand chakras. (Iā€™d recommend getting used to doing this first then energizing your meal).
You rub your hands together with your elbows out then blow on them. Do it again and as many times as youā€™d like until you feel the ball of energy build up between your hands. (I like to close my eyes to feel it even stronger).
With this in mind, you place your hands over your mean and keep the intention of ā€˜to help and to cureā€™. Do it a couple times and if you donā€™t feel the energy ball, the author suggests not to eat the meal.
He had a meal that explained that wouldnā€™t charge, he didnā€™t eat it but his friend did and ended up being sick all night.
Same with medication, take it with the intention of ā€˜to help and to cureā€™. I personally havenā€™t donā€™t this with food, only crystals! The author does teach a ton of great information about crystals, I just wanted to point out something more interesting to me.
Thereā€™s so so much more information, I just canā€™t fit it all here :sweat_smile:

An interesting quote from the book:
ā€œTo begin with, the first crystal with which you work, which you clean, polish and purify must be yourself.ā€
And I love this one:
ā€œThere are two basic principles which anyone who wants to work with crystals must understand- meditation and respect.ā€

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, absolutely!

:gem: Thank you for reading my book report :relieved:

5 Likes

Ooh, I love the quote!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Very nice book review :blush:

4 Likes

Book Title and Author: Maya by Bhakti Purusottam Swami

Status? : Finished.

My overall rating of the book : 6/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book clarifies the laws of nature and how illusion cover our soul, through material pleasure, from achieving magical skills.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a nice book which speaks about a difference between Yoga or Wheel of Fortune which is divination skill and Moha/Maya/Illusion which deals with material pleasure which is temporary.

An interesting quote from the book: ā€œInternal Energy works when one is in service of universe to purify others through self-realization.ā€

All in all, would I recommend this book?: No.

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: How to Live with God by Swami Chetanananda

6 Likes

As I said I thought I might in the thread, I went rogue and Iā€™m reading something else :rofl:

Book Title and Author: The Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot by Skye Alexander

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

Iā€™ve been keen to improve my tarot reading abilities for a while so this is extremely relevant.

I have another book by the same author, and love the look and feel of the books. Theyā€™re hard back and the pages have been made to look aged with ragged edges.

Iā€™m still working my way through the book, and will probably do so alongside reading tarot for myself. But so far Iā€™m really enjoying the way itā€™s laid out.

There are sections explaining the history of tarot, the language and symbols and numerology and tarot, which Iā€™ve read.

There are then extensive sections of interpreting the cards of the minor and major arcana.

Each card has a summary of what it represents, and what it means upright and reversed. And there are even explanations in what each means in readings about money, work and love.

This is all really helpful for me and Iā€™m hoping will help me get to grips with interpretations.

The last chapters include different spreads to use as well as a section on using tarot in magick, with some spells.

Iā€™ve got a feeling Iā€™ll come to love this book.

An interesting quote from the book: ā€œYou canā€™t separate the tarot from practice of magick and witchcraft - theyā€™re entwined. Look at the card called The Magician - heā€™s card number one in whatā€™s known as the Major Arcana. Right there on the table before him lie the four main tools in a witchā€™s"toolboxā€: the wand, chalice, pentagram, and sword/athame. Look a little further and youā€™ll realise the four suits of the tarotā€™s Minor Arcana symbolise the four elements (earth, air, fire, and water) that witches and other magicians work with in modern rituals and spellcraft."

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Silverā€™s Spells for Protection by Silver RavenWolf

Status? : Reading

My overall rating of the book: from 0-10? a solid 9+

****How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:****This book reads like a ā€œHow to.ā€ manual for practical magic.
To be honest the written reviews explained better than I can how good this book is, so Iā€™ll quote: here is self-blessing ritual and spells to protect your vehicle. There are spells to protect those in your home and ones to uncross yourself when confronted with negativity and setbacks. Youā€™ll find techniques to get people to stop lying about you, and others to aid you in court. In fact, by understanding what underlies the techniques given in this book, you can come up with protection spells for any purpose. The appendices give you correspondences and suggestions so you can easily convert the spells given in this book to exactly work with your needs. One of the best parts of this book is a basic introduction to magick. Even if youā€™re an old hand at spells and rituals, this section will refresh your memory and give information on ideas you didnā€™t know or might have forgotten. How long should a ritual or spell last? Why didnā€™t my magick work? When should I do this ritual? If magic for evil purposes works, why shouldnā€™t I do it? All of these questions are clearly answered. This book makes an excellent gift ā€“ to a friend or to yourself. Protection from the problems of life and from negative energies is needed by all. You can find answers here.

An interesting quote from the book: *An ounce of protection can prevent a pound of problems. Which essentially means, donā€™t look at the sky while humming, youā€™ll get mugged or run over. Pay attention at what is going on around you. Practice your magic, but be aware and think about your surroundings.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes absolutely!

My only regret with Spells8 is that we donā€™t have a way to swap books among each other.
Finally finished the book, There are some great spells and sage advise. herbs and substitutes. over all Great book

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your book reviews, @Princess_Tara! Sorry that Maya wasnā€™t quite what you were hoping for, but Iā€™m glad you enjoyed A Mandala of Cards. I hope that How to Live with God is a wonderful and insightful read for you- enjoy it! :heart::open_book:

It sounds like you found an awesome book, @Christina4! Those quotes are absolutely beautiful too- thanks so much for sharing them and your thoughts about the book! :sparkling_heart:

It sounds like your leap into a different book paid off, @IrisW- looks like you are really enjoying Modern Witchcraft Book of Tarot! Itā€™s always great to find an author that you like, and bonus points when they have multiple books :grin: Thanks for sharing your find!

I love the quote you chose, @Garnet- it sounds like a great book with some very valuable foundational magick information. Iā€™m so happy you enjoyed it! And I agree- a Spells8 swap would be wonderful! :books: Although my list of witchy books to-read is already so long- thereā€™s never enough time to get through all the wonderful books out there! :laughing: :+1: Thanks so much for sharing your review :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Hello @BryWisteria
Maya is actually a good book, but not relating to magic. So, I cannot refer it here. Thanks for conducting this nice book club. @anneshakargupta

7 Likes