Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

@MeganB Awww sorry to hear that A Guide to Spirits wasn’t want you wanted it to be- but thanks for your thoughts about it! It does sound the author takes some rather… curious approaches to death- it doesn’t really sound like something I’d agree with either :sweat_smile: But perhaps your thoughtful review will save someone else from reading it unaware- so thanks again for taking the time to share! :blush:

@Murphy Self-care is indeed a very popular topic these days, I think it’s an important thing to incorporate into a magickal practice! This book sounds interesting, although I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the lack of good self-care rituals. Thank you so much for sharing your review! :heart:

@SingingWitch Welcome, and thanks for joining in! :blush: It sounds like Tuesday’s Child is turning out to be a fun read for you- I’m glad you’re enjoying it, despite being busy with your studies! No worries, as there is no rush- you are very welcome to continue reading your book into the next reading session (which will begin on Friday) :books: I hope the book continues to be fun for you, and I wish you all the best with your studies too! :two_hearts:

@Amethyst The Little Work sounds interesting- although I appreciate you sharing about the other things it draws on, especially High Magic. It’s fascinating to read about, but also very complex stuff, in my opinion- maybe not the best way to add just a touch of magick to everyday life! Lovely quotes though- thank you so much for sharing, Amethyst! :heart:

@Temujin_Calidius I’m glad you loved The Divine Arcana, Tem! :blush: It sounds like this book has some great and creative advice to use the tarot in new ways and make it involved in other aspects of the Craft. I have to admit I’m very intrigued at the idea of using tarot as a talisman. I hope you find some time to indulge in the rituals- when you do, I’d love to hear how they go for you! Thanks so much for sharing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

You’re welcome! I liked the book, I just wish it had magic to make bill paying go easier. LOL!

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,
So with everything I’ve had going on recently, I was unable to finish my books this period.
The two I am reading is:
A Little Bit of Palmistry by Cassandra Eason
Witchery: Embrace The Witch Within by Juliet Diaz
I will continue to read these two and perhaps by our next Club reading I can have them finished.

6 Likes

Hahaha don’t we all! :joy::+1: I guess a book of money spells would be the best bet for help with bill paying- if you ever come across a good one in all the wonderful witchy reading you do, def give a shout here! :grin: :money_with_wings: :sparkles:

Enjoy your books, Rowan! :heart: No worries at all about being busy- your books can always wait until you have some quiet time to read. I hope they’re both amazing books for you! :books::blush:

5 Likes

That’s definitely how it feels lol and I can’t say for sure in the rest of the book because I just flipped through it but the first few chapters were enough to make me put it down. I had stared at it for months (I got this book in September of 2021…) trying to force myself to finish it and I just finally gave up lol

5 Likes

Silver Ravenwolf did a Little Book of Prosperity Magic but I’ve lost it in one of my moves. :pleading_face: Maybe I’ll pick it up on Kindle again one day.

5 Likes

:pray::blush: @BryWisteria It’s always my pleasure to be here…

6 Likes

@SingingWitch We are blessed to have you here! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Awwww sorry to hear it, I totally understand! Reading should be fun, so when the book is causing stress instead it’s definitely time to say goodbye and pick up something new :blue_book::wave: :laughing:

Sorry it was lost along the way- I hope you’re able to get another copy of it someday! Perhaps it will find it’s way back to you when you need it :blush:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan By: Stephanie Woodfield

Status?: Finished

My overall rating of the book: 10 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I am studying Celtic Paganism & Spirituality. I work with the Morrigan & this is a great resource for working with the Morrigan & her sisters. Either together or singularly.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I loved reading the stories for each aspect of the Morrigan & the ways to honor/invoke her into your life & practice.

An interesting quote from the book: “Some have speculated that the Brigid, the Irish Goddess of Smithcraft & fire, was a daughter of the Morrigan & the Dagda. Other sources name her as the daughter of Boann, who like the Morrigan was associated with rivers & was the Goddess of the Boyne River” (pg 44)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: I would, but not as a first book about the Morrigan. It’s a great resource but I have found that starting small & then working my way through. I started with a series of books by Morgan Daimler & then learned more about other Gods & Goddesses so when they are mentioned, I have some idea of who they are. :laughing:

8 Likes

Ding, ding- sounds like you found a winner, Siofra! :clap::blush: I’m so glad that you enjoyed Celtic Lore & Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess so much- it’s exactly your kind of book! And it sounds like a fantastic resource for anyone interested in working with the Morrigan :raven:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about it! :open_book: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

It really was a great book & she cites at least 3 sources that I have already been through & she’s a priestess of the Morrigan. I really did like it & that it has recipes for incense, diffusers, invocations, rituals, meditations. Chock full of great information.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Empath’s Toolkit: A Guide to Recovery for Overwhelmed Empaths By: Anna Sayce

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I am an extreme empath & right now I am healing from some things & I am overwhelmed so I am looking to find out more about how to manage my empathic gifts.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Some things make a lot more sense & other things I will need to work on, so I am going to start with 2 exercises at a time & go through them as needed while adding other exercises as I can & then use the ones I need at the time.

An interesting quote from the book:

“The problem with wishing away our empath gifts is that empathy is usually an integral part of our souls purpose” (pg 167)

Without the dark, we cannot get to know the light.” (pg 169)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: It would be better suited if I wasn’t just emerging from the dark so I already had these tips to use with my other ways to grieve & deal with moving forward & familial changes at my home. It’s a wealth of information for Empath’s & the different gifts & the best way to integrate them into my life in a more constructive way.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: A Field Guide to Demons, Vampires, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits By: Carol K. Mack, Dinah Mack

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 8.5/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I haven’t really done any diety work but I’ve had a few supernatural or paranormal experiences before so I was interesting to learn about different kinds of entities, many of which I hadn’t heard of before.

My personal thoughts/opinions: Highly informational and very diverse touching many cultures, native American, Australian, Norse, Russian, Celtic and many more. The last entry was my favorite though.

An interesting quote from the book: There is section on a demon that had many forms either a omen of death, a household helper or a shapeshifting lover, I think from north African lore.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

8 Likes

It sounds like a great book with helpful tips- I’m sorry you weren’t able to have them ready this time, Siofra, but hopefully the things you learned will be useful for you (should you need them) in the future! :pray:

I’m glad you enjoyed The Empath’s Toolkit- thanks so much for sharing your review! :blush:

I love when books explore different beliefs and local legends are the world- it is always very educational, and I love to see both the differences and similarities in traditions! Very fascinating stuff :star_struck:

It sounds like I would enjoy A Field Guide- thank you so much for taking the time to share your review, @Torista, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :open_book: :sparkles:

8 Likes

Book Title and Author: Cunningham’s Magical Sampler by Scott Cunningham

Status Finished

My overall rating of the book: 8/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice: It’s about gathering knowledge and inspiration from the different spells in the book.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book had a lot of samples of information, hence the name. It had many different spells, herbs, teas, magical glossary, magical rites, remedies, recipes, weather omens, and deities. It just had bits of information in a wide variety of subjects.

I would definitely recommend this book. It’s a good beginner book.

9 Likes

Book Title and Author: Witchery: Embrace the Witch Within by Juliet Diaz

My overall rating of the book: 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book was more so an Introductory to the craft. Containing a lot of “How-to” chapters, recipes, and information.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This book is decent for beginners, but more so a snooze for those already familiar with herbs, meditation, manifestation, Wheel of the Year, etc. It would be a good read for someone just beginning their journey in the craft.

An interesting quote from the book: “Remember that those who don’t see your light are clouded by their own darkness. You were meant to rise, dear Witches! All beings are children of the Earth; we all come from the same cauldron. The power you hold was seeded in you long before your flesh tasted the air. You don’t need to look outside yourself to seek acknowledgment – validation lives inside you”.

Diaz, Juliet. Witchery (p. xv). Hay House. Kindle Edition.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, for beginners.

6 Likes

Bravo, @Christine13- congrats on finishing Cunningham’s Magical Sampler! :blush: It sounds like a great introductory book for including information about so many different things- definitely like a buffet “sampler” plate! :plate_with_cutlery: :sparkles:

I’m glad you enjoyed it- thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Nicely done, @Rowan- thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about Witchery! :heart: From what you’ve said, it does seem geared towards beginners and those just beginning their path. I like the tone in the quote you shared- the author seems friendly and encouraging, really nice for those getting started! :blush:

Great job and thanks again for sharing! :sparkles:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Awakened Empath By: Aletheia Luna & Mateo Sol

My overall rating of the book : 10 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

I am an empath & wanted to learn more about being an empath & specifically what to do if I am feeling overwhelmed or blocked or stuck.

My personal thoughts/opinions:

This book helped me identify myself as very empathic, but also very overwhelmed. It gives good options or ideas to help with being an overwhelmed empath & how to release that energy & protect your own.

An interesting quote from the book:

For all the sensitive and empathic souls out there who feel overwhelmed, isolated, depressed, or lost in this world. May you discover just how strong, gifted, and sacred you are. (Introductory pages)

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

Yes, I would recommend it to someone who knows some things about being an empath or highly sensitive & how to be less overwhelmed & work through your energy & feelings to decipher your own from another person’s. The website is:

Loner Wolf Website

It is an amazing website for working through issues & how to do so as a highly sensitive person or an empath. There is a lot of good insight & tools to help you stay balanced.

6 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed Awakened Empath, Siofra! :blush: From your review, it sounds like a very helpful book.

For the information on handling overwhelming emotions, do you think the advice in the book is geared only to empaths, or does it have guidance that may help those with general stress/anxiety/emotional management too?

It sounds like a really interesting book- I’ve signed up for their newsletter! Thanks for the recommendation, Siofra :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Well, @BryWisteria, it does say for sensitive people as well as Empaths but I think anyone could use the tools/exercises they have in Awakened Empath & I am using their Shadow Workbook. I believe it’s: Shadow Self Workbook - Illuminate Your Dark Side. I have had some great success with that & goes along with what is in the Awakened Empath. They may have a bundle now. They are e-books but you get a pdf & mobi so you can add it to online libraries, readers, etc.

I think it’s good to use different methods to find the right way for you. I love their site, articles, their book & workbooks.

I would also say that if you are stressed, overwhelmed, anxious it is still a great book & I think the exercises would help anyone with those issues & maybe identify some things they do that would relate to being at least sensitive to others.

6 Likes