Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

I couldn’t put it down! Every chance I had I was reading it. What a tale! What a fabulous work of fiction! I love fiction that is so good it draws me in and the writer’s world become real for me! :+1:t4: :smiley: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I actually ended up reading The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri, which is often placed in a similar category to Clark’s series (to the point that the authors have joked about whether each entry’s cover matches the others). Anyway, I found it much easier to make time for reading when it was an audiobook.

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Thinking about how loneliness, kindness, and love work into the way our magick develops.

My personal thoughts/opinions: The Jasmine Throne was an intense, heartbreaking book, but extremely well written and bringing us characters that need far more representation in the Fantasy genre.
There’s magick, politics, queer rep, and family drama, all set against the background of a country that doesn’t realize it’s nearly tipping into war, and a magical disease where plants take over people’s bodies.
A great read for those of us obsessed with our gardens!

An interesting quote from the book:
Sacred wood. She watched as Gautam held the shard close to the rot-struck branch, as the lesion on the branch paled, the redness fading. The stench of it eased a little, and Priya breathed gratefully. “There,” he said. “Now you know it is fresh. You’ll get plenty of use from it.” “Thank you. That was a useful demonstration.” She tried not to let her impatience show. What did he want—awe? Tears of gratitude? She had no time for any of it. “You should still burn the branch. If you touch it by mistake…” “I know how to handle the rot. I send men into the forest every day,” he said dismissively. “And what do you do? Sweep floors? I don’t need your advice.” He thrust the shard of sacred wood out to her. “Take this. And leave.” She bit her tongue and held out her hand, the long end of her sari drawn over her palm. She rewrapped the sliver of wood up carefully, once, twice, tightening the fabric, tying it off with a neat knot. Gautam watched her. “Whoever you’re buying this for, the rot is still going to kill them,” he said, when she was done. “This branch will die even if I wrap it in a whole shell of sacred wood. It will just die slower. My professional opinion for you, at no extra cost.” He threw the cloth back over the infected branch with one careless flick of his fingers. “So don’t come back here and waste your money again. I’ll show you out.” He shepherded her to the door. She pushed through the beaded curtain, greedily inhaling the clean air, untainted by the smell of decay. At the edge of the veranda there was a shrine alcove carved into the wall. Inside it were three idols sculpted from plain wood, with lustrous black eyes and hair of vines. Before them were three tiny clay lamps lit with cloth wicks set in pools of oil. Sacred numbers. She remembered how perfectly she’d once been able to fit her whole body into that alcove. She’d slept in it one night, curled up tight. She’d been as small as the orphan boy, once. “Do you still let beggars shelter on your veranda when it rains?” Priya asked, turning to look at Gautam where he stood, barring the entryway. “Beggars are bad for business,” he said. “And the ones I see these days don’t have brothers I owe favors to. Are you leaving or not?” Just the threat of pain can break someone. She briefly met Gautam’s eyes. Something impatient and malicious lurked there. A knife, used right, never has to draw blood. But ah, Priya didn’t have it in her to even threaten this old bully. She stepped back. What a big void there was, between the knowledge within her and the person she appeared to be, bowing her head in respect to a petty man who still saw her as a street beggar who’d risen too far, and hated her for it. “Thank you, Gautam,” she said. “I’ll try not to trouble you again.”

Suri, Tasha. The Jasmine Throne: 1 (The Burning Kingdoms) (pp. 16-17). Orbit. Kindle Edition.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!

(I still hope to read The Faithless in the next couple of weeks, before October slips away from me.)

8 Likes

It sounds like it’s been a really great read so far! When you’ve got a great book there’s no need to rush- take your time and enjoy! I hope you continue to enjoy it, Siofra :blush::open_book:

I agree that it’s a pretty important distinction between animals in nature and spirit animals! Although it sounds like the book had some really interesting wisdom about spirit guides and the meaning of many different animals- 200 is a lot! It sounds like it’ll be a great reference book going forward :star_struck:

Thanks for sharing your review, Amethyst! :heart:

No worries and no rush, Amaris! It is so busy now, especially with the upcoming Sabbat. The books will be there for you when you’re ready! I hope you enjoy them both when you jump in :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10/10- I’m so happy you enjoyed the book so much, Wysteria! :partying_face: :two_hearts: You know it’s a great read when you feel you’ll continue to use it as reference in the future. Thank you so much for sharing the quotes and for your thoughtful review! :blush:

It sounds like an amazing book- especially from what you’ve said about how inclusive the author is! Reading your thoughts here I could definitely see myself enjoying this one- it’s got culture, adventure, magick, and all the things that make a great story (imo!). Thank you so much for your review! :heart:

I agree, and it’s shame that it happens like that! There are definitely times when one should stand up for themselves, but I completely agree that some issues require careful contemplation- when it comes to the most important things, the more respectful thought and care put in, the better for everyone involved :pray::blush:

This one has a gorgeous cover too- perhaps they hired the same designer or cover artist! :grinning: Goodness, the messages of this book are really profound- it sounds like it encouraged a lot of reflection and thought. It takes a really powerful book to call out emotions that reflect ourselves and our situations- this sounds like a really great read (and hooray for the representation! :raised_hands:) Thank you so much for your review of The Jasmine Throne and I hope you enjoy your read of The Faithless too! :books::blush:

5 Likes

Oh it was very thoughtful and engaging! The artists for the covers are not the same (Jasmine Throne was http://www.micahepsteinart.com/ while The Unbroken is by https://www.tommyarnoldart.com/) but they have, in the SFF genre, been grouped as the Sapphic Trifecta along with She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan (which has a typography-focused cover but it’s still that saffron gold). I have to read the last one, still, and then the Oleander Sword is out so I can continue with that series if I can get in a better habit of making time to read!

7 Likes

So many exciting books! :heart_eyes: And that’s so cool that they have a theme going with the covers (even if it was unintentional!)- it seems to help encourage fans of one book/series into checking out the others :books::blush:

I know the feeling of too many enticing books but never enough time to read :laughing: :+1: I hope you’ll find some extra reading time and that you enjoy your books, @gardenstone! :sparkles:

6 Likes

READER REVIEW @jan_TheGreenWitch

Irish Country Cures - copyright 1994
by Patrick Logan

Irish Country Cures is a book about folk medicine in Ireland, and distinguishes itself from ‘official medicine’ in that today as big as one quarter (1/4) of the medical practice in Ireland is done by people who are not on the Medical Register - are not ‘qualified’ doctors with degrees. As medicine has advanced folk medicine has declined therefore the author hopes that in writing this book that some will take a renewed interest in folk medicine and continue to record the practices before they are forgotten. He has ensured he took practices from every part of Ireland for the documentation in this book.

This book aligns itself with many western and global studies where the placebo effect, along with the ability to reassure a patient is often a cure unto itself. In addition, many folk cures are indeed less toxic and better suited to the cure of day to day illnesses. This book posits that

BOOK QUOTE:
“almost all physical illnesses — over 80% of them — will get better no matter what treatment is given….with over one third (1/3) of the people who seek medical advice cannot be found to have any physical cause for their complaints.”

The book does not imply nor does the author believe that these patients are dishonest, but but that they may be either tired, over-worried, or in need of telling all their worries to a sympathetic listener who can help out by offering common-sense advice, and medicine of some kind coupled with a few days’ rest.

Two remedies as example:

Hospital superstitions:
- relatives should accompany a patient upon admission to hospital
- unlucky for patient to go home from hospital on a Saturday
- wheel patient into operating room head first only (in coffins, feet go first)
- red and white flowers must never be put in a vase together for hospital patient or if this is done one of the patients will die (red means bleeding and white represents anemia)
- two black crows need to be chased away if they appear perched together at a hospital balcony as they forebode a death.

An Fiolun
-fiolun means harm or injury
- means enlarged and often suppurating glands which occurred in some cases of plague
- or possibly some form of chronic ulcer
- the patient needs to be completely buried in the earth - no harm will come to patient since the patient will only be buried entirely only for a moment;
- the disease is a pagan magic where the disease is transferred to the earth; the earth is a great healer and purifier;
- this is a transference cure.

I only recommend this book if you want to read all about Ireland and historical folk and magickal cures in history and some have survived in to today’s time. It’s interesting and many could be used in conjunction with typical medicinal cures.

8 Likes

That is a beautiful intention that I wholeheartedly support- I’m so grateful to the authors who put in the time, effort, and care to help preserve and pass on traditions so that future generations can enjoy and learn from them too! :raised_hands: :heart:

This makes me think immediately of @Susurrus and @MeganB among others in the forum (apologies I can’t tag everyone!)- there are quite a few folks around here who enjoy reading about Irish traditions!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Irish Country Cures, @jan_TheGreenWitch! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I already added it to my TBR list based on this review :rofl:

6 Likes

Hahaha nice! :grin: :+1: It does sound like something you would enjoy- happy reading! :books::sparkles:

6 Likes

Well, this is right up my alley! Ooo… love new book recommendations for Ireland & Celtic Culture or both!

I thought the same thing! I know there are others aside from the lovely @MeganB & I but it was definitely one of my first thoughts.

Ooo… samesies! That list is forever growing… much like my deck list :rofl:

6 Likes

It’s a very quick read @Susurrus - and interesting!

8 Likes

Ooo… maybe I can get the paperback route with this one… I honestly love paperback over e-reading… I don’t know something about holding the book, pages turning, bookmarks… it just feels better. :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

I just finished reading - How to Become a Witch by Amber K & Azrael Arynn K.

Review - This book dives into a little bit of everything. It goes over the History of Witches along with how to set up your altar. I wish they put some of the topics at the beginning like how to handle questions and being quiet about your choice to be a witch. It does go over being a solitary witch which I found interesting. It definitely made me feel comfortable about my choice.

Blessed Be!

10 Likes

I’ve seen this book around in a few different places and have thought about getting it to review. :open_book: The cover itself is enough to make me pick it up and read it! I’m glad you found it helpful :blush: and thank you for posting your review!

6 Likes

…the transition from the worship of Diana to that of the Madonna was made comparatively simple.

Is This Book Applicable to Your Practice? I would sincerely recommend that anyone starting along the path of Wicca (any form) or Traditional Witchcraft read this little book. It is an exceptionally quick read, only about 77 pages, but those pages are loaded with information. There are numerous chants and spells from centuries ago, each thoroughly explained, albeit somewhat archaic.

Synopsis This book was designed to be a compilation of spells used for working with Diana, her brother Lucifer and their associate/daughter Herodias or Aradia. This book describes how Aradia was born through vignettes, came down to earth, established witchcraft amongst the populace, then returned to heaven. Each chapter reveals interesting, or to me at least, tidbits of information that keep the reader engaged. For example, pg 52 describes why the ancient Egyptians dedicated the onion to the moon-goddess Isis, & considered it to be almost a deity itself. Hence, the peeling onion corresponded to the waning moon.

Maybe the most provocative concept in the book is the most easily understood. It’s almost circular logic but is logical nonetheless. It states that the general populace was more wretched and miserable when they learned that they had certain rights, as before this, they were more accepting of their treatment. Once they learned that they had the right to rebel, they did so en masse. “The result of it al was a vast development of rebels, outcasts, and all the discontented, who adopted witchcraft or sorcery for a religion, and wizards as their priests…in this Gospel of Witches we have a trustworthy outline at least of the doctrine and rites observed at these meetings. They adored forbidden deities and practised forbidden deeds, inspired as much by rebellion against Society as by their own passions” (pg 60-1).
This next quote is heavily supported by orthodox research now, but at the time this book was translated, roughly 1899, it must have been quite shocking. “That is to say, purely diabolical witchcraft did not find general acceptance till the end of the fifteenth century, when it was, one may almost say, invented in Rome to supply means wherewith to destroy the threatening heresy of Germany” (Pg 60).
Key Points With so many lush and exciting witchcraft books available, I found this one to be a dry read. But I have to admit that it was fascinating and a worthwhile read. I would highly recommend it for any one practicing Italian witchcraft, or Worshippers of Diana.

7 Likes

Have to love a quick but worthwhile read- from what you’ve said, it sounds like Leland packed the pages with information! I’m particularly interested in the ancient spells and chants- they must be very cool to see :star_struck:

I’m familiar with Diana/Artemis the Moon and Huntress Deity, but not Diana in association with Lucifer- is this perhaps the same deity, or am I getting confused with a different Diana? (apologies if so!)

I’m really glad that you enjoyed it, @Wysteria_Norn- thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and insights about Aradia: Gospel of the Witches :books::sparkles::blush:

6 Likes

Greetings @christinastillion!

I hope you don’t mind that I rehomed your awesome book review into the current book reviewers’ discussion- keeping the reviews together will hopefully make it easy for anyone looking for new witchy books to read! :mage: :books:

That’s really awesome- a book I am very slowly working my way through has a lot of great witchy tips and spellwork, but all of the rituals are group rituals. Which is great, for those who cast in groups, but is not inclusive of those of us who are solitary. It sounds like How to Become a Witch is perfect for solo casters and practitioners :grinning:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the book, Christina- I really enjoyed reading your review! :heart::books:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Wild Woman’s Book of Shadows by Melissa Kim Corter and 22 Wild Witchy Women from Across the Globe.

My overall rating of this book: 2/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Sadly, it doesn’t.

My personal thoughts and opinions: I was hoping this book would connect me to my inner wild woman and help me be more confident. It started off okay but kept leading me into long meditations and talking to bees. I just can’t get into it.

An interesting quote from the book: I’m halfway through and I haven’t found a good one yet.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Nope, sad to say I wouldn’t. I should read that book that @marsha recommended.

5 Likes

According to this book, which is a translation of a truly ancient manuscript, Diana birthed…I’m wary to say it…the universe and the worship of her in this form predates all known religions.
“Diana greatly loved her brother Lucifer, the god of the Sun and of the Moon, the god of light (Splendor), who was so proud of his beauty, and who for his pride was driven from Paradise.” It even discusses Cain (here I’d refer anyone interested to read the “Book of Nod” a really wonderful read). My wariness is due to a major (for me, at least) contradiction centered on that major premise paragraph because Eden and Lucifer’s fall is predominantly a monotheistic idea, which cannot predate itself.

The idea is rather like a twist on the Gnostic pleroma and Sophia. For those aware of Gnosticism, the first eminent being created the pleroma (Chaos & the Universe) and Sophia, an entity of many, who resided with ‘The Word’ (Logos = Translated after Jesus to refer to him) withdrew and found herself ‘lost’. She then created the demiurge without authorization from the first eminent being, and the demiurge created the earth (As above so below). Many have translated Lucifer to be Jesus the Morning Star, & here Diana would be conflated with the first eminent and Sophia.

“Diana was the first created before all creation; in her were all things; out of herself, the first darkness, she divided herself; into darkness and light she was divided. Lucifer, her brother and son, herself and her other half, was the light.”
“And when Diana saw that the light was so beautiful, the light which was her other half, her brother Lucifer, she yearned for it with exceeding great desire. Wishing to receive the light again into her darkness, to swallow it up in rapture, in delight, she trembled with desire. This desire was the Dawn.”

It goes on to say that after chasing Lucifer fruitlessly, she asked for guidance from the first eminent powers. They told her that to obtain her desire, she would have to fall to earth. “…to become the chief of goddesses she must become a mortal…Diana went on earth, as did Lucifer, who had fallen, and Diana taught magic and sorcery, whence came witches and fairies and goblins…” (Pgs 13-4). This seems to be an attempt to explain the belief that witches ‘chased after’ satanic or Luciferian forces, which is specifically Biblical. Ironically, the text also states that witchcraft predates monotheism…so, yes. Numerous seeming contradictions exist.

For me, this was definitely a necessary read as it provides more context to already existing stories. That it’s also a faithful translation of an ancient text is without question. But, I have to state that the mere mention of Eden, Cain and Lucifer ‘dates’ the original and sets it in a Biblical context, even though this does not have to be the case. Honestly, the Lucifer character may have been taken up by monotheism from a pagan origin which has since been lost to us.

By the way, a lemon with pins in it is a ‘good luck’ gift…yes, things like that and the reasoning behind it are in this book :wink:

6 Likes

Herbal Magic by Aurora Kane

Status? : Finished

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I’m still quite new, and I’ve wanted to explore different areas to see what clicks. Sometimes something sounds good on paper but doesn’t click, and sometimes something doesn’t sound good but does click.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really enjoyed it. It does talk about this herb does this, but it also goes further in suggesting practical applications. Rather than saying apple does this, it suggests make apple butter to promote this. Good for those who are new and sometimes (more often than not are) stuck. It also talks about the growing and drying so you know how to do so.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, looking forward to reading the other ones in the bundle.

7 Likes