Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

I’m just about finished with mine, and then I’ll put my review up. LOL! I got distracted this month by broken modems and shiny things.

6 Likes

I just signed up. And I’m about halfway done with my precious new book!

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: Llewellyn’s Little Book of Yule by Jason Mankey.

My overall rating of this book: 10/10 would read it again!

How does this book relate to my magical practice?: This book is good for people wanting to celebrate Yule.

My personal thoughts and opinions: This is a lovely little book full of information on the meanings behind the traditions of Yule, Saturnalia, and Christmas, and characters like Santa Claus, Krampus, and Belfana. Also, little spells to enhance your holidays right up until New Year’s!

An interesting quote from the book: “More than just a synonym for Christmas, Yule has reclaimed its place at the holiday table as a distinct and valuable religious and spiritual tradition. It’s celebrated by Pagans, Wiccans, and Heathens, and for many secularists and atheists, the Winter Solstice has become a viable alternative to Christmas.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Wicca: A guide for the Solitary Practitioner By Scott Cunningham

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : Not sure yet just started

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It puts in words about my craft which i cannot seem to pin point but reflect myself and my craft exactly

My personal thoughts/opinions:
I love this book so far and have not given a rating as i want to make sure i love it before i do. So far i am loving the way the writer is able to express such meaningful words which i although am able to this of can never put in in words or on paper. This book has been sitting on my shelf since forever and i a day ago it just called out to me out of all my new unread books and thought why not, doesn’t matter how much i think i know i will always learn something new.
An interesting quote from the book: "When a Wicca is outdoors, she or he is actually surrounded by sanctity, much like as is a Christian entering a church or cathedral. "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No
[/quote]

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Wild Witchcraft By Rebecca Beyer

Status? : Unfinished decided to stop reading

My overall rating of the book : 4/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It relates to my practice as i too incorporate herbs and plants in my practice

My personal thoughts/opinions: I originally was in love with this book and thought “wow this is new and exciting”, however i was soon disappointed as after reading for sometime all i was reading was a herb guideline which didn’t state directly when i picked it out. After flicking through the following pages, i notice at least 80% of the book was about herbs and their correspondences. Don’t get me wrong this is crucial to my craft but i was hoping to learn ways of foraging etc, rather than actually names of herbs which i already own a herb directory for this purpose

All in all, would I recommend this book?: No personally unless a directory is what you are looking for.

5 Likes

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 6/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I’ve got a thing going (and have for awhile) with Scotland. I haven’t quite pieced it all together yet, but I am so drawn to this country I’ve never been to and their culture. I don’t even have any Scottish ancestry, but the pull is very much there! I found this book when it just popped up on an audible ad and thought… .well, why not! It’s a work of fiction, but I thought maybe it would be fun!

My personal thoughts/opinions: It was fun, sort of. The writing, in my opinion, is a bit juvenile and sometimes felt forced. As a reader, I really lean towards sophisticated narration and writers, and this was not that. However, the story was fun. It is a series, but I don’t really feel drawn to read the rest.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Sure, if you just want something light to occupy a cold rainy day! You might enjoy it!

Overall Rating: 8/10

Thoughts and Opinions: When I found the first Scottish Witchcraft book, I found this one too! Maybe the draw of the first title was supposed to help me find this title. This is a non fiction account of some of the very real Scottish witches, their charges, their court appearances, and their sentences. It’s pretty intense, but I felt very called to read it. I started it around Samhain and went through it slowly, really thinking about and trying to honor each of these people (mostly women, but some accounts of men). This year I have felt very called to honor the witches who have come before me and paved the way for me to practice my own craft.

Would I recommend it to the coven: Yes. though it is dark and shadowy and might take a lot of energy.

Overall rating: 9/10

Thoughts and Opinions: I love how so many traditions weave together to create winter magick! This book goes through many of the northern european winter celebrations and explains for bits and pieces work into what we know as Christmas. There are Christmas ghosts, witches like La Befana, elves, trolls, goddesses and winter queens… they all play a part! The book also has recipes and crafts that tie in with the stories.
My favorite part is when it talks about bells. When people went walking through the woods, they would often take bells to ring to keep dangerous animals (and spirits away). This morphed into sleigh bells on Santa’s sleigh.

Would I recommend? 100%. It is a really fun read. I have the audio book and the narrator is lovely (it might be the author, I have too look!). Her research is solid and it is so much fun!

6 Likes

This sounds like a wonderful read- I’m so happy you enjoyed it so much, Wysteria! It’s always appreciated when the author covers a variety of interesting topics and shares information in an open-minded way that resonates with many different types of readers. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Mastering Magick! :heart::pray:

Broken modems and shiny things are indeed very distracting! :laughing: :+1:

Woohooo! I’ve just added you in here as well :blush: You’re on a roll, Christina- I hope you’re enjoying Manifesting with Crystals! :gem::two_hearts:

10/10- hooray! :tada: It sounds like a really solid guide to Yule and the various influences and traditions around the holidays. I think it’s really fun that they explored the various characters too- I see a lot of names this time of year, and it’d be helpful to have them all in one handy place!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts- I’m so glad you enjoyed the Little Book of Yule! :snowflake: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cunningham is a legend and this book in particular is a classic- I think you’re in for a good read! :blush: I hope you continue to enjoy it and keep picking up fun and helpful new bits of information. Beautiful quote too!

Happy reading! :heart:

Sorry to hear that Wild Witchcraft wasn’t what you were hoping for- I suppose for every book out there that we click with, there will be another one that doesn’t quite fit the bill. Good for you for giving it a try! And thank you for sharing your thoughts on it- it’s very helpful for anyone considering giving it a read :pray::heart:

I’m glad there was something enjoyable in the book for you, Ailey! Sorry it wasn’t quite what you were hoping for. Fingers crossed that going forward you’ll be able to find other authors who can help you connect with your studies of Scotland :scotland: :sparkles:

…Like this one! :grinning: Hahaha I’m glad that The Witches of Scotland was closer to what you had in mind- it honestly sounds like a fascinating book. I often get a little scared about non-fiction witch books as they tend to be… well, just like you said- very intense and dark.

It sounds like a great way to honor the witches who came before though- I’m really glad you enjoyed it! :blush:

Hooray for books we love so much that we read them over and over again! If ever there was a way to tell that a book was worth a read, it’s in how many times it’s been enjoyed. This one sounds like a lot of fun, and all the better if it sparks some seasonal crafting and creativity too! :heart:

Thank you so much for all three of your wonderful reviews, Ailey- I really enjoy reading them! :raised_hands: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

There were a lot of cute little charms to do for the holidays, some of which I’m going to do next year!

4 Likes

I may need to order this one soon so I will have it on hand for next year!

5 Likes

I’m still reading my book, so Ill just do my review for the next book club entry.

4 Likes

@Amethyst That’s so cute- and I know you love your chants and charms! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Sounds like something fun to look forward to for the next holiday season! :tada:

@christina4 No worries at all- I’ll look forward to your entry then! Happy reading, Christina! :books::heart:

3 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Dark Wife by S.E Diemer

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: It’s a very loose tie to magick- while I did learn a bit about some of the deities in the Greek Pantheon, I’ll be honest- this was a pure pleasure read :laughing:

My personal thoughts/opinions: I didn’t think this one would be nearly as enjoyable as it was- it’s not going to win any big awards or anything, and the ending felt a bit rushed, but it’s really cute and charming in its own way. I also got to see a new side of Persephone, Hades, and some of the other deities whose names I encounter often here in the forum and in my magickal studies :open_book:

Big Trigger Warning though (rape and violence), although it’s done in a different way than in many Persephone tales. And Zeus is a real nasty villain in the story, which may not be appreciated by anyone who works with Him.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes- if you enjoy fantasy retellings, the Greek Pantheon, LGBT+ stories, and romance books

3 Likes

That looks interesting, Bry. I may have to put it on my wish list!

3 Likes

If you decide to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :open_book:

3 Likes

Spells8 Book Club XXIV Review

• Book Review: By Rust of Nail & Prick of Thorn by Althaea Sebastiani
    @Wysteria_Norn

Book Summary
There is a lot to love about this small little book (67 pages) of protection magic. Sebastiani neither minces words nor charm when she, stepwise, describes quick and easy protection methods and the need for each. Her writing style is natural and compelling
Rating 10/10 without a doubt. A fast read that is comprehensive and can easily be used as a god-to ‘brush-up’ on the most useful information.
Memorable Quotes
“Remember, it’s called witchcraft not witchthink: the magick you work will always be more effective than the magick you don’t work.”
Like that one?
There’s tons more!
“…witchcraft aims to make your life better.”
Practical Application to the Craft
Ms. Sebastiani provides countless magickal pearls for direct practical use in the craft. There are truly too many to list here and that’s impressive given the fact that the book is quite short, yet it never makes you feel as if it is. Once completed, the reader feels as if she/he has read a full-sized abbreviated compendium as it includes chimes and mobiles, sigils and activation, plants, powders, metals, and the like.

Another example - “…iron, in particular, that is of the most use to the witch, as it has a long history of use protecting the home from spirits - especially the fey. It can also work to serve as an energy sink, much like a lightning rod, gathering undesired energy to it and dissipating it into the earth.” Hence, if one wishes to work **with the fey, consider removing the iron from the vicinity.

Highly recommended

6 Likes

Hooray! I’m thrilled you found such a great book, @Wysteria_Norn- and who couldn’t use a little extra protection magick? :grinning: :+1: It sounds like the author loaded the book with useful tips and knowledge that are helpful not only within protective workings, but for use in the Craft in general.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and review- this one sounds great! :open_book: :heart::blush:

2 Likes

Book Review

• The Complete Grimoire by Lidia Pradas
    @brandy20

I read this I’m the hospital after my surgery and it’s a great beginner book! It had just about everything a beginner Wiccan would need to start their journey. It has chapters from witchcraft basics to rituals and spells, 9 chapters of very useful information. I used a highlighter and highlighted important notes/area I need more practice in, like divination and herbs. One chapter I didn’t expect to be in there is chapter 8 working with Deities and Spirits. It was the first book I’ve came across that has this chapter. I give it 10/10 since I am new to this journey and it was a great read.

7 Likes

Hooray! :tada: It sounds like The Complete Grimoire was a really awesome read for you, Brandy- I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :blush:

I think it’s safe to say posts about deities and spirit work are some of the most common questions here in the forum- there is a lot of mystery about them, so it’s great when a beginner book dedicates time to introducing and exploring these topics :+1:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughtful review! :pray::books: Blessed be! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Travel Witch
Hi travel Witch I just wanted to let you know seaweed with white rice is really good and has great benefits! You can buy seaweed in a package seasoned in the retail store. I do have a acquired taste to this particular dish!:yum:
Also I am reading Entering Hecates Cave it’s a great book everyone should have it in the coven!
I give this book a 10/10 :milky_way:
Here is a link to Hecates Cave that just came out! It is an strong textamazing book strong textwith all sorts of wonderful information that is used to my practice!
[The book on Amazon you can buy finally! ](Entering Hekate’s Cave: The Journey Through Darkness to Wholeness https://a.co/d/d3Bu0Mc)

She talks about Hecates epithets and has a guide with them! Each month one can work with an epithet that can help you with your journey to the world soul ! Call to Hecate each New Moon for diepnon with a sigil and a meaning that is connected to her! Hekate is anima Mundi, and represents the primordial force of the feminine the soul of the cosmos. Animus balances Aenima, and we are all comprised of those two archetypes in various combinations.
The intro to the book is

Whispers said “Follow Me”
So I have been reading this book since I got it a week ago this month and which is the first month it has been published! I really love all of Cyndi’s poems so I will be sharing with you many beautiful incantations to help others guide you to her!
I am going to go over some of Hecates Epithets! Anima Mundi World Soul
First chapter

Hecate has many faces and is connected to different archetypes which are symbolic of the deeper world! C. J Jung is explored these archetypes and she has connected the epithets to many of her keys :key:and deep depth psychology! In her book she states “ when connecting with an archetype archetype we often use these characteristics to call upon them, which is what we do when we create alters” So you can imagine right!:wink:
I am confident Hecate will help me attain her many keys. It is helping me in my life and helping me to bring about transformation. The gates our evocative because she is the gatekeeper and guide. She can help activate the Archetype of the high priestess, and is a value to the archetype of the Queen herself!

Jeannie

8 Likes

Agreed! I like to get the dried seaweed sheets and cut them up into little strips- they are very tasty on rice or even over soups. And you’re so right- seaweed is loaded with health benefits too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Woohoo! I’m so glad you enjoyed Entering Hecate’s Cave so much, Jeannie- it sounds like it was loaded with helpful information about Her and how to forge a bond. Hecate is a very popular deities among witches, so this sounds like a great book for anyone interested in working with Her! :old_key: :sparkles:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, the quotes, and also the pictures! And look at the wheel! :star_struck: I looked at the book on Amazon (thank you for the link!) but I didn’t see the wheel there- did you make it yourself, Jeannie? If so, that is amazing! :clap::wheel_of_dharma: :two_hearts:

Much love and blessed be!

4 Likes