Witchy Book Reviews! Spells8 Book Club Reviews Masterlist - Sessions I ~ XXV

The whole series had a kind of… Great Gatsby feel to it! So good! The author has done several series and most of them look like they have some sort of magick in them. I enjoyed her style and will likely read some others.

Also, audiobooks help me reach my goal. It’s easy for me to pop earbuds in and listen to a book while I was dishes. We (the kids and I) cover a lot of books in the car. Obviously, our carpool book club (as wel call it) are kid friendly, but I have precocious kids and we read some pretty sophisticated stuff together, especially because we can talk about it too. It’s one of my favorite things. Maybe I was a librarian in a past life…

4 Likes

I really need to get my act together & start reading again :laughing: I’m kind of in a re-read some books :books: phase before I move on… more as like just refreshing & reinforcing what I know to continue absorbing & building off what I’ve learned so far.

I have quite the wish list now though :rofl: So my goal is to finish the ones I currently own before getting any new ones :smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Amethyst Ohhhhh going for the greek pantheon, I see- that sounds exciting! :heart_eyes: I hope it’s a great read for you (and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it)! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@AileyGrey That’s the best when you find an author whose style you just click with- especially when they have several series already out to enjoy! :blush:

And I love the sound of “carpool book club”- my aunt used to put on audiobooks whenever we’d go for a long drive and it was a great way to pass the time, not to mention all “read” something together. Listening to audiobooks in a group feels to me the same as gathering around the campfire to listen to a story together- it’s a really nice group activity :fire::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Susurrus Re-reads absolutely count too- I swear I pick up on so much more the second time I read a book, and it’s usually just as enjoyable as the first time around! Sometimes even more so because the second time you can pick up on all the foreshadowing :wink:

Good luck and have fun with your reading! :books::two_hearts:

4 Likes

It looks good. I can’t wait to start.

4 Likes

It really is the best!

5 Likes

Spells8 Book Club Entry XXV

• The Alchemist’s Handbook Frater Albertus

Important note: I am currently traveling, so I was not able to complete the book in it’s entirety. I have, however, read quite a bit of it as it is a short but very comprehensive book.

Importance to the Craft: I must say, that I do believe that Alchemy, although institutionally replaced by chemistry, et al, is still very important and surprisingly overlooked.

Potentially Surprising Facets of Alchemy: Although I have been intrigued with Alchemy for some time now, one thing that I was surprised to learn was how much of current New Age or Modern Wicca is derived from fields such as Kabbalah and Alchemy.
For Example:

• Alchemy, in addition to being the study of discovering one’s personal Philosopher’s Stone, is defined as the “raising of vibrations,” that use the Lesser Circulations, Greater Circulations, and Greater Arcanum. These refer to the herbal (vegetable), animal and mineral kingdoms where the latter is of the highest order.
  • The Alchemist believes not only in reincarnation, but that all things, even minerals, have an inherent soul, which is called the Mercury (the physical form is referred to as the Sulfur).
  • Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spiritual Aether are acknowledged and sought by the Alchemist in the pursuit of the Philosopher’s Stone, the quintessential life force.
    *A belief in neutral, next life Karma
    *The Alchemist also believes that one should understand and have a certain level of control over dark and light forces in order to achieve that higher vibration. But, most importantly, that seeking that Philosopher’s Stone must be done with a deep desire to help humanity, because otherwise the power obtained will be corrupt and lead to despair or destruction.

This book also has some quick herb-planet correspondences, when is best to cultivate or gather herbal materials, meanings of alchemical symbols, etc. For example, “Roots: These should be dug after the leaves are dead in the fall at which time all the strength has gone down into the root. Or better still, dig them in the early spring before the sap rises” (pg.14).

Surprising Quote: “However, to form a cure is just as contrary to nature as contracting an illness” (pg. 37).

Summary: Some of the language may seem archaic to certain readers. If that’s not a problem, I would recommend this book to all those interested in herbs, Hoodoo, and herbal magick of all kinds as this describes the various extraction processes such as maceration, tinctures, etc in good detail. It also works as a primer for Wiccans, witches, etc as it provides a sufficient amount of information on topics such as correspondences, minerals, herbs, spirituality, symbols, etc that may not be covered from the same perspective. This may in turn help those who have been stuck in their spellwork, are unsure where to start, or wish to learn more about other branches of the craft.
Needless to say, one doesn’t have to do any of the experiments described, but reading about them will definitely help those more interested in producing their own oils, tinctures, aethers, etc.

9 Likes

Book Title and Author: Brigid by Courtney Weber

Status? : Still Reading!

My overall rating of the book : 8

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: Brigid is very much a deity that calls to me and I want to incorporate her in my everyday life and practice. But I feel I need to know her story first so I can do her justice and honor.

My personal thoughts/opinions: So far, I find the book very interesting and informative. It is a little slow going fo me but I have the sense that’s just me and has nothing to do with the book or the author lol! I am constantly busy with work and school these days. I haven’t had much “me” time in the last few weeks unfortunately. I am trying to be more mindful of that because self-care is so very important for my mental and spiritual health.

An interesting quote from the book: " " I love the invocation or chant that starts off Chapter 2: "Lady of the Well, the Forge, and the Green Earth,
I seek you.
Warm my heart with your perpetual flame,
Heal my wounds with your gentle waters,
Cradle me in your mantle when I can walk no more,
Brigid, I seek you.

I think I want to get this made into an art piece I can place on my altar. It really speaks to me in so many different ways.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

I would like to continue reading this book into the next session of the book club if I may?

10 Likes

@stephanieanne76 eeekkk… that’s the book I’m reading now (2nd time around :laughing:) because I finished the Pagan Portals one I read for this session! I still have to post my review, but I’m getting there… slowly but surely! :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

I didn’t finish my book…

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: Modern Witchcraft with the Greek Gods by Jason Mankey and Astrea Taylor.

My overall rating of this book: is 25/10! A must-read!

How does this book relate to my magical practice?: I feel called towards the Greek Gods and wanted more information.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is an AWESOME book. Filled with great information on all of the major Greek gods and some of the not-so-major ones. With rituals and personal insights, it was a great read. A must for any pagan who called on the Greek or Roman deities.

An interesting quote from this book: “Some of the gods were often seen as two sides of the same coin, which is why, for example, Zeus can both give and destroy. Active devotion with offerings were considered the best way to gain the gods’ favor, and people made offerings to multiple gods several times a day. They could be invoked aloud or in writing due to the belief that the gods didn’t always understand humans and couldn’t read minds. Some people believed it was important to discuss your history with the gods because they were so timeless that they sometimes needed reminding of who their supplicants were.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: YES!

8 Likes

Book Title & Author: Pagan Portals - Brigid: Meeting Meeting the Celtic Goddess of Poetry, Forge, & Healing Well By: Morgan Daimler

My Overall Rating of the Book: 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I work with Brigid on a daily basis

My Personal Thoughts/Opinions: Great introductory book on Brigid with the author’s own personal experiences & practices. There was so much that I had “put away” & went "Oh, that’s where I had seen that! Then I made sure to write it in my little book of practice so I wouldn’t forget again. Very valuable information on her history & transformation, working with her, prayers, incantations, and traditions.

An Interesting Quote from the Book: Honestly, it’s not really a quote but a practice, on how to use water & crystal for healing within your practice.

All in All, Would I Recommend this Book?: Yes, absolutely

7 Likes

Book Title and Author:: Witchcraft Therapy by Mandi Em

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: As I mentioned before, I’ve been in a rut/funk/yucky place whatever you want to call it, and I’ve been needing to get out of there as it’s not been good for me. So when I saw this book I said “Let’s give it a go, you’ve been wanting to delve deeper into the craft, so this is a twofer”.

My personal thoughts/opinions: It’s been excellent. She’s good about giving adaptations for those who may not have access to certain materials and there’s flexibility to make the rituals your own. And there’s been so many points that made me really sit and think. And it’s practical and common sense as well, like taking safety seriously, and that sometimes in the morning you don’t feel grateful and are inclined to be thinking “Oh fork”, not “I’m so grateful”. She admits she doesn’t go for the “woo” angle, and for those of us who were raised in the sciences, it’s relatable.

I’ve gotten to try so many different things: I’ve cleansed the house with salt and an herbal spray, I’ve made a poppet, I’m starting to incorporate more morning ritual and meditation (with the realization that I’m not coherent 1st thing in the morning), and there’s a lot more I want to try.

She also talks a lot about the marriage of the magical and mundane, you can do all the spells you want to get a job, but you’ve also got to send out resumes to get a job. She also talks a lot about how magic is empowering, and how sometimes toxic positivity creeps in and we need to soundly reject it.

An interesting quote from the book: Do I have to pick only 1? It’s quite lengthy so I’m going to paraphrase.
"Modern spirituality can quickly turn into a contest of who can be more forgiving/loving/positive when bad things happen. There’s nothing wrong with those goals, but this is undiscerning (aka toxic) positivity and is not effective.

If bad things have happened to you, it had nothing to do with your vibes, worldview, or amount of effort you’ve invested. We all have a tendency to experience the consequences of our actions, but some things are completely and totally beyond our control. No matter what your beliefs are, sometimes bad things just happen.

Much like those bad things, trauma is difficult to define because it’s multi-faceted. It can be from one event or many, it may be concrete or vague.

But it’s entirely subjective. Other people cannot define your experiences or judge the marks that they’ve made upon you. When dealing with trauma, there’s no room for comparisons, judgment, or expectations regarding the “right” way to heal. Despite the current cultural climate that favors toxic positivity and the use of spirituality to bypass negative emotions, the very best thing you can do for your own recovery is to hold space for your trauma rather than invalidating them and pushing through. You can recognize that lingering in pain may not be serving you while still giving yourself the patience to heal from it on your own terms.

Magic can be a wonderful part of the healing process as it’s about empowerment. Many of the things we experience stem from an imbalance of power, and by means of magic we can transmute those things as a way to take power back. But a wise witch knows the critical importance of help and safety, reaching out for support, and engaging professional and legal help if needed."

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes, and I’m going to continue working through it.

8 Likes

Wild Magic by Danu Forest

I loved this book… I highly recommend it if you are interested in going down the Green witch path or are already on it. Lots of things to try and a great way of meditating which I always struggle with but I actually managed to do a couple of practical exercises! Go me!

The Celtic folk traditions mentioned are very accurate, sometimes simplified with a modern twist. Lots of new Information which is always a pleasure to read… and of course lots of practical things to try!

I think I’ve covered everything… I don’t want to say too much and spoil the sense of mystery and excitement of a new journey when reading a new book. Definitely a book I’ll pick up again and again!

Any questions give me a shout!

8 Likes

@gemma7 I also loved this book by Danu Forest! I love her works & have another of her books. I really want to enroll in her class… but that will have to wait for now :laughing: I do have it on my list of courses that I am going to be taking when I finish my current one though! :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

I have that very book and love it as well! I am a multiple book at one time person so I have books everywhere! Every time I pick up Wild Magic I get lost in it. I love fairies, I always have. Danu Forest is a incredible writer.

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: House Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: The book is all about creating a sacred space (or spaces) within your home. Since most of my magick is currently performed within my home, it was perfect reading as I try to craft a practice that feels right for me and less about the things I think I should be doing. It talks about creating sacred spaces, creating rituals for the hearth and home, how important the heart is and what you can do with it, seasonal living, kitchen gods and goddesses (including Hestia! :heart_eyes:) and more.

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a book I feel like I could read 10+ times and still gain information from. It made me question certain beliefs I had about our home (especially in regards to being a WAHM. I started to see what I do each day in a very different light which was unexpected and appreciated!) I struggle hard to be mindful with my cooking and kitchen tasks and this book made an impact on how I move about my kitchen. I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m loving the progress!

All in all, I feel like the book broke down some easy (and hard) things to make practicing magick at home/in the kitchen significantly easier for me. And with my monkey mind, I’ll take all the help I can get!

An interesting quote from the book: “Hearthcraft functions on a very basic truth: Living your life is a spiritual act.”

While the quote itself isn’t anything special, it’s from the beginning of the book and in a lot of ways set the tone of the book for me. I don’t have time for elaborate magick most of the time and this quote reminds me that just living - the daily, simple tasks that feel “mundane” even - can be spiritual and magickal.

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

And I didn’t finish the other one (The Magickal Family.) I’ll probably add it to the next reading period!

7 Likes

I’m adding this to my To Read list - sounds interesting!

Ooh, this one looks like a good read! I don’t always have access to certain materials so that sounds super helpful. Adding to my To Read list!

I’ve been learning a lot about Greek mythology and gods over the past month so this sounds amazing. I’m really excited to look for this one soon.

5 Likes

The book is a bit on the expensive side but it’s worth every penny!

6 Likes

I’ve had a light interest in Alchemy- it certainly sounds really cool, so it is fascinating to hear that it is still quite useful and of interest to herbalists/green witches! Looking at what you’ve explored, it does seem like there are many things that overlap or at the very least provide inspiration for those in the practice. I might have to look into more Alchemy research going forward! :books::blush:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts despite being on the road- wishing you safe and successful travels, @Wysteria_Norn! :heart::raised_hands:

I can feel the respect and love you have for this deity in your words, @stephanieanne76- it is clear that you are very mindful in your practice and that you are putting in a very good effort to learn all you can about Brighid! I’m so glad to hear you are enjoying the book so far and that it is helping you feel connected with yourself and your spirituality.

And yes, absolutely- please feel free to continue reading this into next session! I hope it continues to be an enjoyable read for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :open_book:

Hahaha it happens! No worries- if it’s a good one, then keep on plugging away at it into the next session. I hope it’s an enjoyable read for you! :grinning: :two_hearts:

WOW! It’s broken the rating scale and exploded into a whole new category- what a read! :raised_hands: :joy::heart: Awww Amethyst I am thrilled that you found such a great book and enjoyed it so much- it sounds like it is completely loaded with valuable info about the Greek Pantheon.

May I ask if there was any information/deities that surprised you? Did you discover any new deities of interest? It really sounds amazing- I’m going to have to look this one up! :eyes::two_hearts:

The best books are the ones we enjoy time and time again- I’m happy that this one brought back a lot of positive memories for you, Siofra! It sounds like it helped to rekindle your devotion and dig back into interesting aspects about working with Brighid. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good for you for giving it a go and jumping in, Catherine- I’m so happy the book has been living up to your expectations! :grinning: It sounds like the author’s writing style is very digestible and that the book has a lot of key and important information about working magick into daily life. From the quote/paraphrase you shared, I think I would like the author’s writing style a lot too. She sounds down-to-earth and clear, but also encouraging and helpful.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the book so far- I hope you continue to enjoy it right up to the final page! :blush::open_book:

Congrats on your successful meditations, Gemma! Meditating sure can be tricky, but it sounds like the advice and suggestions in this book were really helpful- I’m glad you enjoyed it so much! :heart:

I also read a Green Witch book this session but it’s such a fun area to explore that I’m always happy to hear about another good green magick read- thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Wild Magic! :books::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ohhhh I was so excited to hear your thoughts about this one and now I’m even more excited about the book having read your review- it sounds like a really solid book to have on the shelf! :grinning: :two_hearts: And I agree 100% with what you said about feeling like you could read it 10+ times- even while I was reading The Green Witch I caught myself flipping back to re-read a section. These books are great to read, and also really useful as long-term reference material :+1:

Thank you so much for your thoughts on House Witch- I really want to get a copy for myself! :heart:

5 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Green Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

Status? : Finished- and I know I’ll be using it as reference material in the future!

My overall rating of the book : 10/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: This book is a solid and thorough introduction to green magick. But although it is written in a way that is geared towards beginners, there is a lot of material and information that is useful for green witches at any stage of their practice.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I really enjoyed this one- the author writes in such a friendly and encouraging way that would make anyone feel at home. There is no “a green witch must do XYZ” here- everything is left open for the reader to pick up and use at their own will. While there is guidance, the choice is left in your hands. It’s less like listening to a lecture than it is like listening to a friend or gentle mentor and I really enjoy this style :blush:

For the book itself, it is broken into different categories- some, like the information about the Sabbats for example, read like a story. Other parts of the book serve mostly for reference- the appendix has a great list of the magickal associations of some common herbs, for example (that has already proven to be quite useful!)

It is LOADED with recipes, spells, rituals, and meditations. Even if green magick isn’t something you are interested in, I imagine the collections here would still be of use :books:

An interesting quote from the book:

“We must remember that eating is a sacred act. In consuming a food, be it animal based or plant based, we forge a connection with nature, the source of nourishment. By taking this nourishment into our bodies, we also honor nature’s presence within our lives, and acknowledge our place within the natural order. Harvesting and preparing food are also sacred acts…”

Had to cut myself off- I could honestly quote the whole section about food and food gratitude (heck, I’m tempted to quote the whole book!), there is a lot of good information and reminders to digest (ha :wink:)

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes! For anyone who considers themselves to be a green witch, is interested in connecting more with nature, enjoys kitchen magick, studies herbalism, or simply wants some extra spells and rituals for their collection- this is a recommended read :+1:

5 Likes