106. Weekly Witchy Challenge – Wholesome Healers

1. Weekly Witchy Challenge – Wholesome Healers

Challenge Entry Garnet

I’ve had neither the time or energy to give this paper its due. I’ll do what I can and ask for forgiveness for not putting enough effort into this investigation.

Ancient medicines

Herbs and spices as a curative?

It would seem that the modern-day 'new age 'usage of medicinal plants isn’t new at all. Documentation about the medicinal use of plants goes back 8000 years in China. But in their exploration, archaeologists have shown that the use of herbal medicine date back as long ago as 60,000 years in Iraq.

Egyptian papyri, papers by the Greek physician Hippocrates, Shaman’s from ancient indigenous peoples of many places around the world, by pen, pictograph, or word of mouth have been left for us.

In their superstition or for whatever other reason, the lack of scientific evidence has challenged the inevitability of plants as medicine. Despite the fact of effective use of herbs as curative and preventable use in ‘primitive medicine’ it was laughed at or blatantly disregarded as hyperbole and therefore unreliable’.

Enlightenment.

After the tragedy of the ‘dark ages’ medicine was almost lost. Neither are the accepted treatments of the day. nor prayer healed real illness. But in time, through trial and error medications through chemicals progressed. Whether for good or bad is somewhat in question. Excessive use of modern medicines has, over the years caused the disease process to be unaffected or overstimulated. I.E. Chemotherapy ––> Chemical Therapy in the hopes of giving enough in their cocktail to kill the disease cells but not healthy ones.

Today Chinese, Western, Indian, and Arabic herbology is becoming and or is being used in the treatment of illnesses. The acceptance and use of old-time plant therapy are proving successful.

Examples

St. John’s Wort may work for mild to moderate depression.

Aloe – burns, and soothes irritated skin.

Bitter orange – is used in traditional Chinese medicine for indigestion, nausea, and constipation.

Gingko – Alzheimer’s disease, eye health, inflammation, diabetes, bone healing, anxiety, depression

cat’s claw is promoted as a dietary supplement for a variety of health conditions, including viral infections (such as herpes, human papillomavirus, and HIV), Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, arthritis, diverticulitis, peptic ulcers, colitis, gastritis, hemorrhoids, parasites, and leaky bowel syndrome.

cinnamon is promoted as a dietary supplement for diabetes or irritable bowel syndrome or other gastrointestinal problems

cranberry fruits or leaves – for bladder, stomach, and liver disorders, as well as diabetes, wounds, and other conditions, most commonly promoted for urinary tract infections (UTIs).

garlic is most commonly promoted as a dietary supplement for conditions related to the heart and blood vessels, including high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Green, black, and oolong teas all come from the same plant. Tea hydrates stimulates, and can help with weight loss

Turmeric could be beneficial for pain caused by inflammatory diseases, like arthritis, preventing cancer, stopping DNA mutations, several skin diseases

Evening primrose oil – PMS, mild skin conditions, breast pain, menopause, inflammation, diabetic neuropathy, multiple sclerosis, blood pressure

Flax seed could be beneficial for decreasing obesity, regulating blood pressure, preventing colon cancer, inflammation, hot flashes

Tea tree oil could be beneficial for acne, athlete’s foot, cuts, dandruff, insect bites

Echinacea could be beneficial for colds, immunity, bronchitis, upper respiratory infections (URI)

Grapeseed extract could be beneficial for cancer, lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol, leg vein circulation, edema, and blood pressure.

With that, I am done. I need to go rest.

Blessed be

Garnet :crutch: :face_with_head_bandage: :face_with_head_bandage:

11 Likes

Garnet that is awesome! I love this. I knew this was going to be a great challenge. I am going to learn alot this week!

9 Likes

You’ve picked out some lovely medicinal herbs to explore here- thank you for sharing them, @Garnet! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I was just looking into placing an order for Flax Seeds yesterday from the local spice trade company. Although I was considering using them as a base for lavender eye sleeping pillows- I didn’t know they had medicinal properties too! Might have to order a bit extra and experiment with them :laughing: :+1:

Blessed be, Garnet! :sparkles::herb:

7 Likes

Ooh, this gives me an idea for my challenge this week. Thank you!

7 Likes