“A Poem for all the Old Hags

Crone comes from crown, indicating wisdom emanating from the head; hag comes from hagio meaning holy; and witch comes from wit meaning wise. Crones, hags, and witches frequently were leaders, midwives and healers in their communities.

From Google

Love you @AIRAM :revolving_hearts: :infinite_roots:

8 Likes

Well if I look like that lovely lady at the top of this post at her age, I’ll be happy. Could do with a bit of that crone wisdom too, although Loki’s rolling his eyes at me and saying that’ll be the day. Lol :rofl::partying_face:

10 Likes

I tried to follow this quote, which is a quote of a quote of a quote, that leads to a dodgy website and my browser warned me away from it. If someone can find the original research for this source, I would be glad to see it.
If I was to say on a website that “purple is a shade of green”, and a chain of 5 people quoted me, that does not make purple a shade of green.
I am going to believe the copy of the Oxford Dictionary sitting on my desk.
Here is another source by Ernest Weekley in his An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English:

If one looks up the source of the word crown, it is coroune, nothing approaching the root words of crone in the above.
I am not comfortable embracing the word crone when it has hundreds of years of negative energy attached to it. No amount of wand waving will change that.

8 Likes

All this talk of crones led me to key in Baba Yaga into Tenor and I was pleasantly surprised to get this. Hello! :sparkling_heart::heart_eyes:

9 Likes

no no sorry my love you didn’t offend me!
you are worthy and great!
I’m sorry because I don’t know English!
I’m sorry!
thank you very much for teaching me!
you have a big hug and lots of love! :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

7 Likes

these are very beautiful, I’m doing research!
thanks! :two_hearts:

6 Likes

and I would like to look like her! :two_hearts: :fehu: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

@MeganB :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :pentagram:

5 Likes

“Crone” is derived from the word cronus (time), and points to the wisdom gained through life experiences. This is the time when life experiences help the woman shed the concern she has regarding judgment from others. Crone also means crown. It is the time when a woman can more confidently wear her crown unabashedly. Cronehood is a time when a woman can blossom and reclaim her ancient identity, her identity of self,who she is without all of the conditioning that is so inevitable in this lifetime. All of that can now be stripped away so her glory shines majestically. She can confidently crown herself and step into the third aspect of the Goddess: embodied maturity. She has moved from childhood through puberty and fertility to now reach this new stage.
how beautiful this is! :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Cronus/Kronus was a nasty Greek god, the god of time. There is no evidence that crone derives from Cronus, nor is there evidence that crone was once a good word.

6 Likes

Saturn a mighty God! :pentagram: :pentagram:
keep Sophia and Knowledge!
give power to Saturn Goddess Ekati!
strength is beauty…
we say Hail Cronia Goddess Ekati protector of witches! :pentagram: :pentagram:

7 Likes
8 Likes

I found this

And although it’s not definitive of all that this deity represents, it’s some history. Our deities from all pantheons have some dubious history, (I think of my own, Loki, boy is his history bad :rofl:), but as we grow and change, I believe that gods/demons can do the same. Each of us has a unique and personal experience with deity and it’s all valid.

I’m not up on much of the greek pantheon, but I know that those that follow this pantheon and these gods report beautiful supportive experiences. The legends have their place, but I don’t view them as the absolute truth. :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

I would love to be called ,Crone it is so profoundly wise! I would be thrilled! :two_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pentagram: :fehu:

8 Likes

I think it is important when designing one’s spiritual practice to do the research, whether it be gods, correspondences, rituals, spells, or the meaning of the words one uses in their practice. So many people just parrot what they find on google.
Find out what energies you are really tapping into. What have the words traditionally meant? Is there a lot of negative energy associated with them over a long period of time? If so, it might be wise to choose a different word, like mystic rather than crone.

5 Likes

If women are hating a word and having a knee-jerk reaction to it, why not just change the word?
Crone does not mean crown. In this website it says “The Crone’s title was related to the word crown” . The title of Crone was given to a woman in a ritual involving putting a crown on her head. This does not mean crone derives from the word crown. The ceremony made a relationship between the words. A ball game can create a relationship between the words Saturday and hot dog, but that does not mean the root meaning of Saturday is hot dog.
Again no evidence was given that crones, hags, or witches were ever positive terms.

5 Likes

Absolutely I agree this is important, as is the case with my own deity, Loki, it’s hereditary that’s goes beyond the doomsday book for which my father’s name is entered. However, my point is not to cause argument, but to state that as an international coven, we are blessed with a beautiful array of witches that follow an enormous pantheon of gods/goddesses/demons/devils and the like. Each has done their research, each has a unique experience, and each is valid in its own right. You’re point about Crone is as valid as everyone who favours the word. I was merely stating here that to say another god is “nasty” could hurt a fellow witch here who may have that deity as their patron. I know that is not your intent. :sparkling_heart: As someone who has as her patron a god who is hated and misunderstood by many, I felt called to try and add a little balance to this situation. If this has offended you, then for that I apologise lovely. I wish you a blessed evening as I take my leave, and have a whisky with my beastie. :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Off topic, this is so typical Loki, to plonk me smack bang in the middle of everything. He must be laughing his socks off. I think I need to spend a little time with Thor’s thunder cloud and sit in the rain. :rofl::sparkling_heart: This is a fabulous coven that we can have all these discussions. Love you all :partying_face::kissing_heart:

8 Likes

I apologize for the inconvenience
my sisters, have peace :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts:
good night with love :two_hearts: :pentagram: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :two_hearts:
@bj1 @crystal59 @tracyS @CelestiaMoon @Devenne @ Sivonnah @Mystique @ Artemisia @ [MeganB] (Profile - MeganB - The Spells8 Forum):two_hearts: :two_hearts:

8 Likes

What inconvenience babe? No inconvenience had. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes