Altar visitor

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem…

My curious little cat keeps on visiting my altar and literally sitting there in that spot. Problem is she ends up knocking things over. I really don’t have anywhere else to set it up but I am worried that it being disturbed and knocked over may cause offence to the deities.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Blessed be

Alan

15 Likes

Oh yes, I think anyone with cats can relate to this issue :laughing: myself included!

First, I don’t think you have to worry about offending the deities. Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think it’s that easy to offend a deity, especially if it’s just life-related things. I mean, think back to when the deities were worshiped all the time - nothing was ever perfect in the homes of the devotees. The only places I could imagine perfection was required was in temples and shrines outside the average person’s home, ya know? Of course, this is different for everyone :woman_shrugging: so it’s hard to tell sometimes. But I definitely think you’re okay.

Besides the cat doing cat things, there could be an extra reason your cat is hanging out on your altar. Cats were highly regarded in Egyptian life, even so far as being depicted in art and mummified in tombs with their humans.

“Cats were not worshipped as gods themselves, but as vessels that the gods chose to inhabit, and whose likeness gods chose to adopt,” Skidmore explains. Through their ubiquitous presence in the art, fashion and home ornamentation of ancient Egypt, cats served as an everyday reminder of the power of the gods. - History.com - How Cats Became Divine Symbols in Ancient Egypt

As for keeping a cat off an altar, what works for my cat and keeping her off places she doesn’t belong is a squirt bottle full of water :sweat_smile: even now just me picking up the bottle will make her second guess jumping where she shouldn’t be. Usually it’s on my desk behind my computer to look out the window at the squirrels :chipmunk: but it works!

12 Likes

What an adorable problem to have! :smile_cat: :two_hearts:

I know that there are pheromones to keep kitties away from where they shouldn’t be, that might be something to try. :cat:

10 Likes

Your kitty is adorable! I see you have a cut out of an Egyptian deity, so I don’t think that you have to worry about offending deity.

I agree with Megan—deities aren’t easily offended, especially by everyday life related issues.

But if you want to keep kitty off your altar, you could always clean it off with products that smell like citrus. Cats don’t like the smell of lemons, oranges, or grapefruits. I have heard that rosemary is also a great repellent.

10 Likes

@MeganB @Kasandra thank you. I did wonder about the link between the deities and cats. They may even enjoy and appreciate her presence. I also wondered if the cat was drawn to the space too.

As for keeping her off, ill.try the old citrus trick like id do with the christmas tree​:rofl::see_no_evil:

8 Likes

She is so adorable. Thanks for thr suggestion…something else to try to keep.her away🙈

9 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity, I’d make room for her - her own space there on your altar if it appears that she loves it so much. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Aww! Cute kitty!

When I had a cat, I used a can of that compressed air to keep him out of things. It sounds hissing and wouldn’t leave my computer wet like a spray bottle.

5 Likes

This is cute, maybe leave her a little corner on the altar even if you end up going with some of the other solutions here! :blush:

5 Likes

I was actually about to pipe in and say this! The Egyptians loved their kitties! I don’t think a furry feline visitor is going to upset anything!

6 Likes

They absolutely did! :cat2: It’s one of the things I find fascinating from other cultural practices, too. Cats have been seen as either bad luck or a messenger for the Gods and the Otherworld. If I’m not mistaken, cats were also regarded this way in many Celtic practices, too. I’d have to verify that, but I’ve always believed cats have an extra sort of responsibility here on Earth.

I’ve also heard somewhere – it may have been here, I don’t remember – that if you want to get a message to someone that has passed or a deity, whisper it to your cat (or a cat in general) and your message will be heard.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.