Antique jar

I got this jar at an antique store about a year ago. Can anyone help me with if they used oil, water, or vinegar to fill the jar? There are a few bubbles in the jar when i move it. Thanks for help!

7 Likes

If I had to guess, I would say that it’s probably oil, especially if things in the jar seem to be preserved. If it was vinegar, anything in the jar would be pretty much destroyed. If it were water, things would be wilty and gross looking. I would, however, caution against opening it to find out, just in case :sweat_smile: better safe than sorry!

6 Likes

Does it matter what type of oil you use? I have plenty of vegetable oil on hand.

6 Likes

Neat bottle! I would second what Megan said about the oil- and also about being cautious about opening it.

I remember when we cleaned out my great-uncle’s apartment my mother found a cute jar. It was full of preserved oil and olives, so she opened it to dump them out- we had to evacuate the apartment it smelled so so bad :joy:

Are you hoping to make your own spell oil? Or herbal oil for cooking?

An oil for cooking and consumption would depend on how long you want to store it for, what is going in it, and the temperature you’d be using it with (or not for cooking). There are many good oil bases out there- each with their own ups and downs. Here’s an article with a rundown on some of the best oils for cooking, grilling baking, and beyond.

As for a spell oil, since it wouldn’t be consumed there’s a lot more freedom- you could use any oil you have on hand with any herbs or materials you’d like, depending on the properties of the oil you want to make. I still wouldn’t let it sit for too long though, to avoid an awful stink bomb in the future!

Whatever you choose to do with the bottle, wishing you good luck- have fun with it, Wendy! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Thank you, i will be looking into all of this tomorrow. I wasnt looking into oil for spells. But now im interested in learning. But as far as the jar i bought it to have as a decoration, i will not be opening it, and my daughter and niece thought it was pretty and want to make one of their own in a couple of weeks. Along with we are making brooms, finding logs to have ready for our yule celebration. And taking some witchy pics with us and my sister so i can hang them up in my sacred area/kitchen.

3 Likes

I see! It’s a really lovely jar and I’m sure it will make for a beautiful decoration :jar: :blush: And how fun for your daughters make their own- along with brooms and yule logs, I hope you all have a wonderful time crafting and taking photos together! Enjoy! :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.