Arnica or Arnica Montana

*Today I want to talk about Arnica (AKA:arnica Montana, Arnicare, Arniflora)
Arnica Montana is a homeopathic topical pain relief agent that also has been shown to aide in wound healing, it’s has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and Pain releaving properties. It contains Helenalin & > dihyrdohelenalin, these chemicals change the action of immune cells and kills bacteria. It decreases inflammation and may kill Cancer cells.
https://www.medicinenet.com/arnica_arnica_montana- topical/article.htm#which_drugs_or_supplements_interact_with_arnica_arnica_montana-topical

I’ve been working with Arnica on and off for several years and as many articles state, it’s a topical pain relief agent for treating pain from bruising, muscle aches & stiffness, & swelling. Through trial and error I totally agree.
Store bought arnica comes in a very small jar, that I used up quickly, so I decided to make my own.
after a great deal of investigation I made a recipe.
I made it into a salve, but it was too greasy & it left stains on my clothes, but did stop my pain. I nixed that because it proved too messy and I didn’t like the smell of camphor/menthol.(the essential oils I used)
So I adjusted the formula. But always starting by making arnica infused oil. Easy Peasy

DIY Arnica oil

• 1 or 2 hands full of Arnica Montana flowers (pain, bruising, muscle aches etc.)
  • 1/2 C sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil, maybe a little more to get an exact half cup of arnica infusion(Easily absorbed into skin.)

Method
*Place these 2 ingredients in a clean dry sealed glass jar.
*Set in a double boiler or a pot of water with a glass bowl
over on low for 8 – 10 hrs.
or
*Set the jar in a small crock pot of water on low and let it
steep in the heat, again 8-10 hr. When done, strain out
the arnica flowers through fine mesh or coffee filter. You
can compost flowers .

Making Arnica Lotions
Ingredients

½ C infused Arnica oil

½ C Shea butter

1 Tb glycerin (food grade)

1 Tb wax pearls

Optional oils: mint, lavender and or frankincense, whatever you desire.

Method

• Pour infused oil, Shea butter, beeswax and 20 drops or so of the E.O. (you choose) into another clean dry glass jar.

• Place jar back in double boiler or crockpot on low.

• Stir slowly until they are all mixed smoothly.

• Pour mix into a bowl in freezer x 10 min. When removed,
    you’ll see a crust along the top, if not, leave a little
    longer.

• Whip it all together with a hand mixer & very slowly add the glycerin. Your moisturizer will become very creamy.

• Spoon it into a clean dry glass jar, label & date then store it in a cool dark place.
    How to Use
    Apply topically as needed every day on painful areas (muscles, joints bruises, etc.)

Note:
Don’t get water in to mixture.
I am not an herblogist, a pharmacist or a doctor.
This is a lotion I use but be careful making it, as it can be toxic in high concentrations.

WARNING:

Arnica Montana, it can be poisonous
if used in too high a concentration.
Women should never take arnica if
they are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Blessed be.
Garnet

6 Likes

Very interesting- and thank you for the helpful safety notes! :pray: :heart: I was really curious to see what Arnica looks like, so I did a quick search:

Picture from Wikipedia: Arnica

The seed puff ball looks very similar to a dandelion! As for the flower, it does look familiar… I’ll have to keep an eye out and see if I happen across any.

Thanks so much for sharing about a new flower, @Garnet! :blossom:

3 Likes