Athame question

Hello! As a witch on a tight budget I’ve been making alot of my tools and one of those tools is an athame. My question is does it have to be made of metal? I’m a wood carver and wondering if I can carve my athame?

14 Likes

I don’t see why not. I’ve seen people with wooden athames, and crystal ones too! I bet something you made would have more of your energy in it! Good luck!

13 Likes

I’m with Amethyst- I’d say it’s perfectly fine to use a wooden athame!

Athames are commonly made out of metal, but technically they don’t need to be. They don’t even have to be sharp- as an athame isn’t generally used for cutting material things, its purpose is for cutting on a spiritual level.

A smaller, white-handled knife, called a boline , is the tool of choice when cutting ingredients or carving surfaces. While the athame cuts on a spiritual level (e.g. cutting energy cords), the boline is used for practical purposes such as harvesting herbs, inscribing candles with symbols or sigils, or cutting physical cords (e.g. thread or ribbons). An athame is not generally used for cutting.

From Spells8: Athame Do’s and Don’ts of Your Ritual Knife

A magickal tool designed, crafted, and carved by your hand is a tool that will be perfectly suited to you and your Craft- it doesn’t get much better than that! I would warmly encourage you to go for it, Kyrstyn. Happy crafting! :blush: :sparkles:

10 Likes

I agree! It’s more meaningful when it’s something you’ve made! I’d love to see it when you’re done!

7 Likes

Thank you everyone! Ill post a picture once its finished. May take me awhile tho with 2 kids under foot. :heart:

7 Likes

Mine is white acrylic one

I have one like this I bought off this site

7 Likes