Basic altar setup

I may have already asked this in my introduction post, but I was wondering about a basic DIY altar setup. What do I need that I can get from home?

6 Likes

Well, you could use a stick or a wooden spoon for a wand if you need to. It depends on what you’re doing with it. I very rarely use my wand or athame, so it’s up to you if you want to buy one. Tea candles are great for starting out, and white can be used for any color so that’s a good thing. Or birthday candles! Any tea cup or mug can be used for a chalice. Get some incense sticks from the store and you’re good to go.

You don’t have to spend a lot of money on an altar. Take some time, see what kind of practice you develop, and then get what you need.

4 Likes

Hi @gray! :blush:

There are a lot of fun possibilities when it comes to making your own altar! I left a few resources and links about altar inspiration in your intro post (linking here so it’s easy to find), so I won’t duplicate them here, but I do just want to add the Beginner’s Spellcasting Tool guide as it has some info about basic tools and their purposes.

A note that not every practitioner needs all of the tools- one witch may enjoy candle spells while another prefers making spell jars or using incense. It’s all a matter of finding what works best for you.

As for clever ideas for using things you already have- I love the ideas Amethyst shared! There are some really great ones there. I second about using mugs or bowls as chalices, I have a whole assortment of dishware I like to use in spells. With a bit of creativity, thrift stores and rard sales are great places to find new tools for very cheap! :grinning:

Wishing you all the best as you set up your sacred space- blessed be!

5 Likes

It might not be pretty, but an empty soup can can be used as a cauldron should you choose to use one for burning bay leaves or papers with intentions written on them. But since you live in an apartment you may not want to burn anything, so maybe thats not so helpful after all. Sorry.

As an alternative you could tear up your intentions and flush them down the toilet. It’s the closest thing most modern day witches have to running water. lol

6 Likes

So I finally did it and set up my altar with some DIY tools. There’s no tablecloth because I don’t have one but everything seems to be in place properly

6 Likes

@gray That’s fabulous :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

You’ve gotten some great ideas here so far :heart: I’m going to second (or third?) the fact that you don’t need every single altar tool out there. Get what you’ll use, take your time gathering tools you’ll use and connect with. There’s no need to go out and spend a bunch of money on fancy things - use what works! :blush:

I’m also going to drop some videos here for inspiration/ideas from my YouTube channel!

4 Likes

I’m so grateful for all the advice. I’ll look over it tomorrow

5 Likes

I hope you have an amazing time figuring out how you want to decorate and plan your altar :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I’ve already planned it out and set it up :slightly_smiling_face: I used it to pray today and I’m feeling pretty good about it

6 Likes

Congrats, Gray! It sounds like you’ve made yourself a lovely sacred space- may it continue to serve you well! :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.