Being chosen by birds ? How do I help?

Hi everyone

It appears I have attracted this little bird to my front door. He doesn’t appear to be hurt. He was refusing to budge even when my flatmate was opening the door and it was nudging him.

I’ve left him pumpkin seeds and water. He refuses to leave and keep sitting by front door. It has let me pick them up three or four times because I checked to see if he was hurt. It seemed upset by the other two crows that appear to be a lot larger and bigger than him he seems scared by them when I let him wander around by himself (. I tried moving him to the garden and off the verandah ) it appeared he was trying to hide yet seemed quite content and happy when I picked him up and gave him some love and attention I’ve got a video but it’s not letting me upload it. I’m wondering could this be a sign of some sort or am I looking into this too much I don’t know how to help him. He’s been near me for half and hour now. He doesn’t appear to know how to fly but can flap his wings around fine. He didn’t hurt or peck me at all. I’ve never seen a bird so trusting.

9 Likes

How lovely! :black_heart:

Seems they might just want to feel safe. (Or they’re worried about you?)

Birds with straight beaks like that might also prefer to eat worms, bugs, etc. Or maybe fruit or meat. They don’t have the curved parrot-shaped beak that helps them dehusk seeds to eat.

Edit: Don’t discount that it could be a sign. It could be.

8 Likes

Update called the wildlife number he’s a fledgling of a an Aussie crow or raven and his behaviour is normal of a stubborn child not wanting to listen to his parents. The two other crows are his parents calling out to him. He’s been returned to the ground near where they are and I was advised that he would of either poorly attempted to fly or fell out his nest. He’s developing muscle strength in his wings he’s not hurt just being to stubborn to go home. I’ll keep an eye on him and if he’s not gone home by later today I’ll call back the wildlife number.

I enjoyed my Birdy cuddles it was very special.

10 Likes

What a magical experience! :heart_eyes: (and I say this as someone who is… less than thrilled around birds… lol) I’m glad you were able to talk to a professional who was able to give you insight into the bird’s behavior. Maybe bird cuddles were exactly what you needed!

8 Likes

How lucky the little bird is to have found a sympathetic soul.

7 Likes

The two of you look like buddies- what great pics! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :raven:

It sounds like all is well and he’s just having a little birdy tantrum. He sure was very lucky to have his way to you and that you were able to help give him a nudge in the right direction!

I hope all will be well (and that maybe he’ll come back to visit you again in the future)! :heart:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.