Ben Mims' Perfect Cornbread

Don’t ask me who Ben Mims is, I have no clue. I just thought this recipe looked yummy and easy to bake!

Ben Mims’ Perfect Cornbread

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
½ cup butter

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat the oven to 425°. Whisk together the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and eggs; stir into cornmeal mixture just until combined. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add butter, and stir until butter is melted. Stir melted butter into cornbread batter. Pour batter into a hot skillet.

Step 2

Bake at 425° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cornbread pulls away from the sides of the skillet. Invert cornbread onto a wire rack; serve warm.

Recipe courtesy of My Recipes.

8 Likes

I cheat with me cornbread and but the Jiffy box mix, lol. I then also make muffins instead of a pan. That way they are already “individual” sized.

7 Likes

When I moved up to New England they don’t really eat cornbread, at least not where I moved so I miss it! Even if I make it, I’m the only one who will eat it, so unless it’s Black Eyed peas for New Years, I don’t go to the trouble, but maybe I could make up the batter and leave it in the fridge and do individual sized as I go until it either gets eaten or goes off. Hmmmmmmm….

6 Likes

Hee! I used to do that too! Both the cheating and the muffin pan. I also liked to add a little salsa and cheese to it and make it a cheesy cornbread. It was yummy!

I hope you figure it out because cornbread is something you shouldn’t miss out on! LOL! I wouldn’t blame you for making up a pan and eating the whole thing after going without for so long!

7 Likes

@Amaris_Bane oooooo ooooo me too, but i also add a tsp of vanilla and it makes it taste like cake

8 Likes

I’ve never heard of cornbread with vanillia! That sounds good!

7 Likes

@Amethyst Its delicious. It makes it taste like cake!!! Sooooooo yummy

6 Likes

Very cool! I’ll have to try that someday!

5 Likes

Jan, I suggest serving it with chili or something else your cohabitants would expect during the summer months. As a New England native, I can speak for most of us when I say we probably haven’t experienced the joy of cornbread to know what we’ve been missing!

(These days I’m keto, and gosh do I miss a good cornbread!)

6 Likes

Funnily enough, I have served cornbread to my NE friends/family with my Texas award winner chili (oh yeah…. You can bow down to the chili queen) lol…. And they proceed to get out the saltines, literally IN FRONT OF MY FACE and eat it. HAHA, I just shake my head. :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

Oh nooooooo they are stubborn, aren’t they? I’ve been told cornbread can be frozen so I guess if you have to eat it yourself over time, that’s an option. Though I can’t imagine thawed cornbread is quite the same.

Well, no use in making it for people who disrespect it like that!

6 Likes