Besoms and wood meanings

So I am going to make my own besom for my altar. I am looking around my apartment building and notice I have a willow tree and what looks to be a black walnut tree. I’m sure there are others but those trees are out in front and easiest to get to.

I looked up Willow wood for wands and figure that would be same for besoms. So I will most likely use that as the handle.

But black walnut-- what is that meaning? I can’t find much, though maybe I’m just in the right spot on Google. So maybe one of you guys know? or have some clue?

thanks for the help :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Dierena- Nemu- Salene!
I am so I happy for you and how exciting to explore a new :evergreen_tree: tree!
I found some info I hope that you find it interesting :face_with_monocle: it talks about the black walnut
I hope your besom turns out good! I never seen a black walnut although maybe I have I know someone that has an orchard and it goes for miles. I can’t tell them apart. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Black Walnut
Jeannie

9 Likes

How exciting about your new besom, @Dierna_Nimue_Selene! :broom: :grinning:

Willow is a lovely wood- it was recently the month of willow, as it is one of the Sacred Irish Trees :deciduous_tree:

I’m in the same boat as you are when it comes to walnut- I know the nut itself is associated with increased mental prowess and retaining memories (I remember because it literally looks like a brain :brain: :laughing:). I flipped through a few of my books, and Jude’s Herbal Home Remedies by Llewelyn notes there are three kinds of walnut (white, black, and European) and says the following:

Skullcap and walnut have forms that resemble the shape of the human head, and can be used in treatment of headaches and nervous disorders (pg 6)

I can’t find anything about the tree itself though :thinking: Although it looks like Jeannie found a great source with info for you- and from the info there, it sounds like a lovely wood to work with! :wood: :sparkles:

Wishing you all the best with your crafting- blessed be! :broom:

4 Likes

I found a couple of wonderful tidbits about Black Walnut trees:

Black Walnut

Black Walnut

And I have these correspondences in my information:

Element Associations: Fire
Planetary Associations: Sun
Astrological Associations: Jupiter
Chakra Associations: Third-Eye
Energy: Masculine/Expressive
Magical Properties: Mental Clarity, Manifestation, Protection, Healing
Botanical Name: Juglans nigra

Black Walnut Bark is powerful on spiritual parasites, negative attachments, and energy attachments that drain us, such as energy vampires. Put Black Walnut Bark around your home, to protect and cleanse your space of low vibrational energy.

6 Likes

I did some digging in one of my favorite older resources when it comes to plant lore and legends. Funnily enough, it’s actually called Plant Lore & Legends! Here are a few quotes from that book - it’s available for free on Project Gutenberg - and my interpretation of them for magical correspondences.

It is strange to say how much this tree was sought after by the credulous; and though not an uncommon Walnut, Queen Anne, King James, and many of the nobility of the realm, even when the times of monkish superstition had ceased, gave large sums of money for small cuttings from the original.

→ This makes me think that walnut is tied to wealth, abundance, and rarity.

The belief that certain trees are haunted by the Devil, or by malignant demons who act as his satellites, is of world-wide extent, and, in connection with tree spirits, the subject has been incidentally touched upon in the previous chapter. A Russian proverb says that “From all old trees proceeds either an owl or a Devil;” and in many countries where a tree becomes old and past bearing, its sterility is attributed to a demon. The Albanians believe that trees are haunted by Devils which they call aërico . Certain trees are especially affected by these aerial demons: these are the Fig, the Walnut, the wild Plum, the Mulberry, the Sycamore, the Pimpernel, the Willow, and in general all fruit trees (but especially the Cherry) when they are old and cease to bear.

→ Walnut trees, when done bearing fruit, are said to be more prone to spirit inhabitation. This leads me to connect old walnut trees to be closer associated with the Otherworld and spirits.

The Walnut-tree, of which it is said that the shadow brings death, is in some countries considered a funeral tree.

→ This quote here ties the walnut tree directly to death and they dying.

There are so many instances of walnut being mentioned in this book. You can take a look for yourself here → https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/44638/pg44638-images.html ← if you’d like to look more!

5 Likes

Ooh interesting, got me rummaging through my books and I found this from my Way of the Witch by Sally Morningstar (she loves her tree spirits/dryads). We can connect with our tree so as you have these trees I’ve enclosed her ritual.

Would love to see pictures when you’ve made it :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

OHHHH thanks for the additional info, it will help :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.