Biscochito Cookies - SoCo Style

Hello!

Biscochito are amazing cookies that I looked forward to as a child every time I visited my grandmother in Salida, Colorado. This recipe has been passed down through generations in our family and it’s native to Southern Colorado & Northern New Mexico.

Biscochito Cookies

2 cups lard (yes lard, it has to be lard or they don’t come out as flaky & light)
1 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
6 cups flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon anise seed (ground or whole, your choice)
½ cup sugar
2 TBS cinnamon

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°

Cream lard and 1 cup sugar together until creamy. Add eggs and beat until very fluffy. (The secret is to beat the lard & sugar till they are super creamy, this could take like 5-7 minutes depending on your mixer… add the eggs last!)

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture.

Grind anise seed in a mortar until broken up, you may choose to grind fine or leave chunky. If you do not have anise seeds, powder anise will work but takes away from the magic of grinding your own anise. :slight_smile:

Add anise seed to dough and mix until it’s a dough-like consistency (may need to knead).

You have the option of refrigerating your dough for a few hours or over night, it’ll intensify the flavors. If not, proceed to next step.

Roll dough out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut into desired shape; place on baking sheets 1/2" apart.

Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon: sprinkle on top of each cookie.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Once out of the oven immediately sprinkle the entire cookie with cinnamon sugar mix.

Enjoy!

11 Likes

They look nice :yum:

8 Likes

@Jazmin Today I was looking for a recipe for cookies…
ok…found in front of me!
I will make them in the evening!
thank you very much! :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

7 Likes

These sound and look delicious!

8 Likes

Wow, those look good! Thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

I’m always looking for new recipes to try, these look amazing! Thank you for sharing.

9 Likes

These cookies look amazing! And you can’t go wrong with cinnamon and sugar - very tasty combo :yum: :brown_heart:

Thank you for sharing your recipe, @Jazmin! :raised_hands:

8 Likes

@Jazmin I made the cookies!
I made a small variation, I put the cinnamon in the dough
ok…my partner eats two by two…
I will make another batch tomorrow…
that was left for photos… hahaha!
thanks!

8 Likes

@AIRAM They look yum :yum:

8 Likes

it’s my last, my partner eat
by morning they will be finished…
they became super my sister! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

I love it! They look amazing!! Thank you for trying the recipe! Im going to have to try putting cinnamon in the dough. Thank you for the tip! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Those look delicious, @AIRAM! I love the decorative leaves you added to the display - it looks very elegant, worthy of a food magazine! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy! :heart: :cookie:

6 Likes