Black Cat Cocktail 🐈‍⬛

While some superstitions hold that black cats are bad luck, witches and hoodoo practitioners hold a different opinion.

Black cat oil- not from an actual :black_cat: cat :rofl:, is associated with a positive change in luck and is used to invoke favorable chance outcomes.

This concoction, a modified Toronto cocktail, is sure to turn your fortune in your favor! Increase the syrup amount by 1/2 tablespoon for a sweeter version. Garnish with sage, if desired.

Serves 1

• ½ tablespoon anise liqueur
  • 1 large fresh sage leaf
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
  • ½ tablespoon Nettle-Hyssop Syrup
  • ⅛ teaspoon activated charcoal
  • 1 jigger (1 ½ ounces) rye whiskey
  • 1 ½ tablespoons Fernet-Branca

Directions

• In a coupe glass, add 1 ice cube and anise.
  • Rinse the glass with anise liqueur and set aside.
  • Tear sage leaf into a mixing glass, imagining that you are ripping any negative luck or hexes away.
  • Add bitters, syrup, and activated charcoal to mixing glass.
  • Muddle sage leaves, again visualizing any negative energy in your life being torn apart.
  • Add rye and Fernet-Branca, then ice to fill ¾ of mixing glass.
  • Stir the cocktail counterclockwise, saying, “Black cat, black cat, come my way. Invoke a change of luck
  • today.”
  • Now stir clockwise, closing your eyes and repeating the words. Stir until the drink is chilled, visualizing good luck entering your life. Empty anise rinse from the coupe glass and strain your potion into the glass, imagining plentiful blessings coming your way as you pour.

Advanced Magick: Add Wheel of Fortune

The Wheel of Fortune card often symbolizes good fortune and chance happenings. Utilize the energies of the Wheel of Fortune to inspire positive change and luck. As you stir this cocktail, keep the card nearby to help visualize your stirring as the wheel of fortune itself, turning ever in your favor.

Nettle-Hyssop Syrup
Nettle is a powerful herb for cleansing, hex removal, and protection. An adaptogen, it also provides a variety of nutrients to the body. This is a great syrup to use in physical healing concoctions or for energy, protection, or changing your luck. It can be enhanced by the addition of lemon, saffron, or peppermint, and has a refreshing, minty flavor.

YIELDS ¾ CUP

• 4 ounces room-temperature water
  • 1 tablespoon dried nettle leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried hyssop
  • ½ cup granulated sugar

Directions

• Boil water in a small pot over high heat.
  • While waiting for the water to boil, gather nettle and hyssop in a small bowl.
  • Place your hands above the bowl, and close your eyes while taking a few deep, centering breaths. Tune out the world around you, and bring your awareness to the palms of your hands and the herbs in the bowl.
  • Then, decide on an intention.
  • Say a chant or affirmation if desired.
  • Pour the hot water over the herbs and steep for 5 minutes.
  • Add sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then strain and refrigerate covered for up to 2
  • weeks.

This magickal potion can from Witchcraft Cocktails - a book I have and happened to have been flipping through last night. I thought this was a good drink to share considering Samhain is right around the corner! Enjoy!

9 Likes

Hahahaha that’s a very important footnote :laughing:

Adding 12 tablespoons of sweetener sounds like me as a child trying to learn how to drink tea :joy::tea: Maybe this was meant to be 1/2 tablespoon?

I love love love adding tarot cards into spellwork- what a great addition to this cocktail spell! :wheel: :sparkles:

This is such a fun recipe (and perfect for black cat season! :black_cat:). I’m not a big fan of activated charcoal (mostly for it’s properties of negating medications), but I can see how having a black ingredient fits into the black cat theme. I wonder if there’s something else I could use as a substitute? :thinking: Licorice syrup maybe?

Thanks so much for sharing this, @Silverbear! :heart:

5 Likes

HAHA yes… 1/2 I fixed typo…good grief sugar coma! lol

5 Likes

Hahaha no kidding! They’d be peeling me off the ceiling after that much sugary goodness :joy::+1:

4 Likes