Bloodstone question

So I bought myself a bloodstone online. It’s very pretty but it’s all green, no red swirls in it. Was I swindled or is it still a bloodstone?

7 Likes

Here’s what in found online:

The mineral aggregate heliotrope, also known as bloodstone, is a cryptocrystalline mixture of quartz that occurs mostly as jasper or sometimes as chalcedony. The “classic” bloodstone is opaque green jasper with red inclusions of hematite. The red inclusions may resemble spots of blood, hence the name bloodstone.

Not sure if that helps, but it may still be bloodstone if it’s green on the outside with red specks running through on the inside…

8 Likes

I had a google of the subject and it looks like, from the images tab anyway, that you can get Bloodstone that is just green. I don’t know enough about crystals to be certain though sorry :pensive: There were also pictures of ones that were just the reddish part

:heartpulse:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m too chicken to break it in half. I’d probably smash my fingers if I tried. LOL. Thanks though, @IrisW!

Well, at least I wasn’t taken advantage of. I was just hoping to get one with flecks of red or something. Guess that’s what I get for buying from Amazon. Thanks for the information though, @Liisa!

6 Likes

You got a bloodstone without the blood! :joy: :rofl: Can we see it??

I went looking for more information on the history and name of bloodstone:

• Pliny the Elder (1st century) mentioned first that the magicians used it as a stone of invisibility.
  • Ancient Roman soldiers believed that the stone had the ability to slow bleeding and wore it for this reason
  • In India it is held that one can staunch the bleeding by placing upon wounds and injuries after dipping it in cold water, which may have a scientific basis in the fact that iron oxide, contained in the stone, is an effective astringent.

More about Heliotrope or Bloodstone

5 Likes

It real, mine has none either.

5 Likes

Sure! Here it is!

It’s a really pretty green … I guess the blood came from a vulcan! Thanks for the info!

Oh good, I’m so glad! Thanks, love!

7 Likes

I have to break it to you, but I don’t think that’s bloodstone. That’s blue apatite. Look at my bloodstone…

Here’s one from Google:

https://images.app.goo.gl/wabkVGwkyPrKycwY9

5 Likes

Would you show a picture?

3 Likes

Mine is a dark green. I joked up above but it’s the color of what I’d consider Vulcan blood to being. No blue in it. That’s just the flash.

It’s up above @Garnet. It’s not real big and it’s solid green. It’s nice but I wanted something with red through it, you know?

6 Likes

Oh ok. I’m glad you have the right stone then. I know to tell a stone, you have to usually place it up to a light. Or place it on top of a white paper

6 Likes

I’m thinking of getting a worry stone in bloodstone and hopefully that will have more red in it. Next time I’ll take a better picture, if I can.

7 Likes

I may not be able to attest what a stone is or isn’t, but I can say that you have a lovely crystal @Amethyst! :green_heart: :grin: Even if there’s no red speckles, the swirls of color make it look like a far away planet or swirling whirlpool :cyclone:. It’s really beautiful- thanks for sharing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Thanks, @BryWisteria! It’s a pretty crystal, I just wasn’t sure if it was a bloodstone or not. Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question. Y’all are sweet!

7 Likes