Books: digital vs paperback

Get the digital copy. :rofl: But yeah paperback is special :grin:

11 Likes

I don’t like reading digital copies of things. :sweat_smile: I mostly get them because of money and being able to share them with others more easily.

9 Likes

It’s funny I used to be like that, but since I’ve been de-cluttering (Hygge my house and life, Loki’s on a mission :rofl:). I’m accepting digital more and more. :person_shrugging: I paperback some books but, have to simplify at the moment :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

I’m supposed to be decluttering as well, but… Well… My last two psychologists gave me the best excuse for buying books, and that’s that they count as mindfulness practice. :innocent: Because of the physical sensation of holding the book, feeling its weight, the texture of the pages, etc. So, I count it as part of my daily grounding routine to hold and read a book.

11 Likes

I wonder if this would work if I told this to Loki, probably not, he’s ruthless. :rofl: But it is necessary, I have too much stuff :grin: Does a kindle (the actual reading one ) count as a book?

10 Likes

Probably! But I’m sure that’s very subjective.

I’m personally not interested in such a thing.

On my computer, at least, there’s a font for people with ADHD and reading difficulties that I usually apply to websites and documents, which helps when it comes to focus.

An interesting study was done at some point, however, which showed that text that is slightly harder to read (such as handwriting) increased the reader’s ability to comprehend what was written. So, such writing used to write test questions resulted in students receiving better scores at the end because they had to slow down and focus more on the text, as opposed to skimming over it and only half paying attention.

But if I really want to understand something, I need a notebook and pen with me. Putting it into my own words forces me to think about the subject from different angles and helps ensure that I actually learn the content. Most of the time I type, but doing it with a physical notebook and pen also helps me slow down and properly ruminate on the topic at hand.

8 Likes

That’s interesting. I’ve recently re-charged my old kindle, and it still works :partying_face:. But they released a new version which allows you to make better notes, even drawings. I’ll have to save, but slowing down the reading definitely makes a difference with intake. I find reading on my tablet/phone hard, I get tired quicker, and sadly the paperbacks (fiction only) have to go. We have to downsize in preparation to move to be closer to my mum. But at least maybe it would be worth investing in the better quality kindle, it has a different lighting on it, so it’s even more book like. Just hope Amazon never goes bust :rofl:

8 Likes

I was looking at this the other day. Apparently, it’s the best Kindle alternative:

Especially if the DRM with the Amazon ecosystem bothers you:

8 Likes

It’s a good one, I used to have one, (kobo) then I switched to kindle. Only thing, I’ve got alot of books on kindle now, and I can’t transfer unless you’re a programmer and can do all that fancy stuff.:sob:, these companies won’t play together :rofl:, but they do do nice e-readers.

8 Likes

Well, if you ever need help with that, send me a DM or email. :laughing:

8 Likes

@starborn This is what I found. It’s all gobbledegook to me :rofl:

I’ll stick with kindle for now but if they go bust, I make have to DM you :rofl:

8 Likes

Make sure you DM me a few days before they go bust, so we can grab all your books off their servers. :laughing:

8 Likes

I don’t have room in my apartment for all my books. As it is I had to give most of what I had collected away. I’m talking over a hundred Star Trek books alone, but less the other fandoms and random books I’d picked up over the years. Tears may have been shed.

Now I have them all on my Kindle Library! Makes me happy. Even if they don’t have that new book smell.

8 Likes

@Amethyst Wow, that’s a big clear out :sob: but Yeay for Kindle. :partying_face: I’m glad my old kindle still works. :grin:

8 Likes

Yeah, I’d collected books since my teen years. So that hurt. I’m glad your old kindle works too!

8 Likes

Yessss! Books are an amazing mindfulness practice. And i like real books better than digital cause it doesn’t cause eye strain…

9 Likes

I feel like I didn’t even see this thread start :woman_facepalming: Sorry.

Late to the party but if money and space were no issues, I would have paper copies of everything I read. There’s something with how my brain is wired that I retain information and learn more easily from print than I do from a screen. That being said. money and space are an issue so I only have hard copies of my favorite books but do have oodles of digital books waiting to be read.

6 Likes